Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 20:24   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Now, India's peak load draw is in the range of 1,82,533 MW (wiki figures) and this added Tiago charging load if it were to come at Peak timings, would have represented a 1.8 % increase over and above the peak load.
Thanks for the calculation, only logical conclusions gives us the real picture. Even better, your calculation has a small mistake, the increase is just 0.18%.

The EV capital of the world, if I may call California, uses just 0.4% of power for EV charging during peak hours(due to variable pricing). Most of the charging happens at night during non peak hours.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5407332 (California: EV owners asked not to charge cars at peak hours)
SKC-auto is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 20:48   #227
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

And there comes the car of the year!
Well done Tata!
VinsWagen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:19   #228
BHPian

I have to say if this price point doesn't push EV adoption, then it will be very difficult to achieve economy of scale. The only way governments will invest in charging infrastructure is when they see actual EV vehicles on the roads.This will help investment from private sector players in capitalizing public charging infrastructure. There is money to be made here, so expect it to get better and overtime solar energy will play a pivotal part. Imagine highways that have EV infrastructure available, the cost of transportation becomes very minimal. Also as discussed by others, govt might lose money on road and fuel taxes, but govt also provides subsidies for fuel which is currentlya burden, and lets not forget we are taxed super high on fuel.
EV prices cannot be at a wagon R or Alto price brackets, OEM's need to ensure quality. We are seeing battery fires in 2 wheeler segments, where they are cutting corners and using cheap battery cells which are resulting in fires. We need proper regulation that dictate not min saftery but foolproof ones like the new 6 airbags rule.
I might have side tracked the conversation, but TaMo has done splendid job of providing an affordable EV which will certainly push timelines for other automakers. If i were in market for 2nd vehicle, this would have been the perfect go to for me.
Wakeupsid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:26   #229
BHPian

One of the lucky gentleman from the Nexon EV owners group was invited to the Tiago EV launch and got to drive it too. Below are his observations and looks very promising. While we wait for the Team BHP review here it goes

The experience was really amazing. well yes some attendees were allowed to test and drive the EV within the hall (MAX 10kmph) but they had specially arranged a camouflage Tiago EV for us to drive on the roads. Pics and videos were totally restricted.

Chota Packet, Badda Dhamaka

The car is seriously amazing.
Starting from the variants, the inaugural pricing, the reservation for 2k loyal customers was a great gesture. Then going towards features and the comfort, even a tall (6'2ft) person like me did not feel any discomfort in driving the same. Although it comes with a 55kW Motor, but I really did not feel such difference in the pick-up and at Sports Mode, it was amazing. Multi mode Regen worked awesome and with 4 people inside the vehicle, AC turned ON (Fan Speed 2, 21°c, S Mode), I could achieve about 120wh/km and was juiced around 2.4kms/SoC. As could not take it for a highway drive, I wasn't able use the Cruise Control.

Highlights:

Multi REGEN levels with dedicated switchs for increasing and decreasing

Steering mounted Cruise Controls

No spare wheel hence the upper part of the boot space remains unchanged.

Non diamond cut allows as they've and have used some plastic or a similar material

All the 4 vehicles we saw had Appolo tyres and not MRF

7.2kW AC compatible variant

5 Colors (Red, White, Teal, Dark Plum & Mettalic Light Blue and this one is my personal favourite)

Loved the DRL positioning under the FOG lamps as add to provide some extra lumens.

First time a connected car in this segment

Range for the 24kWh should be as good as a Nexon EV or maybe even better

Thight support in the rear was also good l, even for a tall person like me. No compromises done in space to fit in the battery.

Would surely suggest to book asap as the 10k mark is gonna be achieved in no time and then the rates would no longer remain the same.
sahakar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:26   #230
BHPian

I own a Tiago Petrol XZA+ and if my experiences with that "petrol" or "IC" car (which is an old technology as such and should be perfected by now at least) to go by then I pray for the persons who go for the "EV" which is something Tata is not an expert at (unlike folks like Tesla)

Price is below par because the product is below par is what I can say as an active owner of a petrol-Tiago ... I pray no one from this esteemed forum falls for this pricing and buys what can become a monster-child to spend more money than we do on our actual children even

Right now, I have decided the best way not to spend more money on my Tiago is never to drive it (that way it can't break-down and cost me money) ... not sure this is what owning a car means
Old 29th September 2022, 21:33   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
Right now, I have decided the best way not to spend more money on my Tiago is never to drive it (that way it can't break-down and cost me money) ... not sure this is what owning a car means
Best to sell it ASAP. You will save on depreciation expense as well.
ajayc123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:38   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
I own a Tiago Petrol XZA+ and if my experiences with that "petrol" or "IC" car (which is an old technology as such and should be perfected by now at least) to go by then I pray for the persons who go for the "EV" which is something Tata is not an expert at (unlike folks like Tesla)

Price is below par because the product is below par is what I can say as an active owner of a petrol-Tiago ... I pray no one from this esteemed forum falls for this pricing and buys what can become a monster-child to spend more money than we do on our actual children even

Can you list the specific problems you are facing? Else your post looks like an unsubstantiated rant.

I drove my niece's petrol AMT Tiago in Chennai 2 months ago and found it very nice.
vharihar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 21:42   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Is this sarcasm.
Gee, not really. Let me explain my POV, please read on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Are you sure which thread you want to post on. I mean this is a free country but even opinion should have some basis. Please dont post something for the sake of it
I guess this forum has always supported all views, even those that are contrary to popular opinion. Not every post explains the basis of its existence, sometimes you might not see it. Also please don't school on posting rules unless you have information, data or insight to share or you are helping. I did't see why I should not be excited and have an alternative line of thought.

Anyway, let me explain why I think so, maybe it will help.

When nano was launched, it was meant to be a very different car, it was even designed and manufactured so. I have adulation for it. It however ended up not being what it was for many different reasons, not to delve into details.
A lot of customers, and even those in my very close family did not enjoy owning it for a longer time. The majority grouse, was that it felt less of a car, or someone felt short of what people are generally used to in a car. It was a smaller engine, noisy, the gear ratios did not really give that right drivability etc. Added to that was a very bad marketing and go-to-market strategy and brand building that TATA did around that, which otherwise was very nice car.
It was "the most affordable car", rather than the right meriltuous, first car that you should buy.

I see the same pattern here with this release. Let's do a little comparison with Nexon, as in the previous post.

Nexon:
PS - 129, Torque - 245, battery - 30.2 kwh, weight 1400, range 350+
Tigor:
Ps - 45, Torque - 110, battery - 19.2, weight ˜1150- 1200*, range ˜315
* - the weight is not specified, EVs are usually 10 - 15% heavier than their IC counter parts and I have taken that data.

You see, how the tigor is moving down on that pattern. Real life ranges are 60 - 80% of claimed ranges, also depends on the over all moment of inertia it has to overcome to move the car.

See, the Nexon does a 129 X 245 (net power if you ignore the torque and power peak points, just to create a simplistic view) on a 1400 Kg, and does a real life range of ˜250+. This is good drivability, that real people using the car are happy to share about.

In comparison the Tigor has 45 X 110 and has to lug, ˜1200. Now if it has to do 315 either the gearing ratios are soo long, or it will do 150- 200 in real world. The physics are the same for both the cars.

Either ways the usability and drivability might suffer, like the nano did, which touted (from marketing) only on affordability as its chief USP.

Then is the charge cycles. For every 1000 kms of travel on both these cars you will have twice the number of charge cycles on the tigor v/s Nexon. Charge cycles directly affect (inversely) the life of the battery. And battery is the coslitest part of the EV.

If you just extrapolate this small EV strategy, then you will end up with a Tigor-mini with 10 Kwh, 200 kms, 25 PS, 75 nm, 1000 Kg car at 75% the price. Hey, presto you have the Reva!

The point is, there is a minimum wattage, power, battery capacity and weight combo the brings in the right experience, economics, usability and owership.

I guess the Tigor will not give the same EV experience, will need to be charged more often, will lose battery capacity quicker, feel like a lesser car and might end up being the nano of the family.

While this segment is just catching public attention, I feel customers who (might, again this is still early days) might not be happy after a year or two of ownership will have opinions that might overshadow EVs from TATA in general. That is a risk I see.

I want to be proven wrong, which is good, I might buy one if that happens. I feel this is too soon for TATA, too short packaging.
Old 29th September 2022, 21:44   #234
BHPian

Interesting updates on this video:

1. Tigor EV will get new updates soon (announcement probably in couple of weeks). So existing Tigor EV customers, don't get disheartened.
2. Tiago EV will give better real life mileage propositions comparing to Tigor and Nexon MIDC values. So people will have less complaints on Tiago EV with respect to mileage.
3. 7.2kWh charger will have option to choose between 3.3 and 7.2. It will work on both single phase and three phase connection.

Last edited by K_Drive : 29th September 2022 at 21:52.
K_Drive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 22:27   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post

Nexon:
PS - 129, Torque - 245, battery - 30.2 kwh, weight 1400, range 350+
Tigor:
Ps - 45, Torque - 110, battery - 19.2, weight ˜1150- 1200*, range ˜315
* - the weight is not specified, EVs are usually 10 - 15% heavier than their IC counter parts and I have taken that data.

You see, how the tigor is moving down on that pattern. Real life ranges are 60 - 80% of claimed ranges, also depends on the over all moment of inertia it has to overcome to move the car.

See, the Nexon does a 129 X 245 (net power if you ignore the torque and power peak points, just to create a simplistic view) on a 1400 Kg, and does a real life range of ˜250+. This is good drivability, that real people using the car are happy to share about.

In comparison the Tigor has 45 X 110 and has to lug, ˜1200. Now if it has to do 315 either the gearing ratios are soo long, or it will do 150- 200 in real world. The physics are the same for both the cars.
With due respect to your calculations, which I couldn't understand much, i have a simple question:

Tata claims 0-60 kmph in 5.7 seconds for Tiago EV.

Likewise, Nexon / Tigor also have 0-60 kmph timings with +/- 20 % of this figure. I am not sure how driving experience will suffer in Tiago/Tigor EV when compared to Nexon EV

Last edited by ajayc123 : 29th September 2022 at 22:54.
ajayc123 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 23:04   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post

The point is, there is a minimum wattage, power, battery capacity and weight combo the brings in the right experience, economics, usability and owership.
Have you test-driven any of these vehicles yet? I'm assuming you haven't (apologies if I'm wrong here). Please do- and with as open mind as possible. Besides, Tata Tiago/Altroz/Punch aren't exactly known for their JTP-like performance- and yet they're selling in good numbers- a feat that Nano could never achieve. So there's something in the whole equation that the masses find appealing.EV does all that its ICE counterparts are doing, and some more

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 29th September 2022 at 23:11.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 23:26   #237
BHPian

I am having a very big question in mind. How many present waitlisted Nexon EV buyers might switch to this? Looks unlikely in the first place, but imagine, many selling their present ICE to sort off cover the price gap, they now want to keep their existing ICE, buy the Tiago EV, and still save a few lakhs over the Nexon.
Those wanting a bigger, better, SUV, will definitely go for the Nexon EV (max or prime).

One more thing, related to power grid overloading, I had some time ago shared an info straight from ministry of energy & power, how India's power generation capability is very swiftly changing from Fossil to Renewable. 4 out of 5 reactors of the KKNPP are being commissioned at war footing, huge YOY improvements in Solar & Wind is also driving this. So, the power shortage issue wont/shouldn't be there for long. I will find my previous study link and post here soon.
Old 29th September 2022, 23:40   #238
BHPian

Can someone share Tigor EV and Nexon EV on-road prices breakdown in Delhi or any other state/UT to make better estimation of Tiago EV on-road price in that state/UT?
Old 29th September 2022, 23:54   #239
BHPian

Tata is getting all bets correct with its EV strategy. Seeing a lot of Electric Nexons on the road these days.

I still wish that Tata relaunches a modern looking Nano as an electric city car.

Imagine the utility and sales volume for an INR 5L electric car with even smaller foot print for contested city spaces.
Ton Ami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 00:27   #240
BHPian

I would not use the Celerio or the Wagon R for highway duties given that they are city cars with a defined purpose. If for some thousands over the top variant I can get an electric car that ticks all boxes of a city runabout I will switch.

The Tiago EV is just that. It is going to pull both the fuel efficiency concious and the small car market towards it in a major way. It will also end up cannibalising it's own siblings.

People seriously overestimate how much the regular Joe drives. This is perfect for a lot of people.
Bluengel180 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks