Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2022, 01:09   #241

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post

Nexon:
PS - 129, Torque - 245, battery - 30.2 kwh, weight 1400, range 350+
Tigor:
Ps - 45, Torque - 110, battery - 19.2, weight ˜1150- 1200*, range ˜315
* - the weight is not specified, EVs are usually 10 - 15% heavier than their IC counter parts and I have taken that data.
First Lets use correct unit. It is in kW. TATA website is wrong. 1kW = ~0.735 ps.

So

Tiago MR - 61ps - 110Nm - ~1090Kg[XE] - 250km - 6.2sec
Tiago LR - 75ps - 114Nm - ~1186Kg[XZ+Lux] - 315Km - 5.7sec
Tigor EV - 75ps - 170Nm - 1235kG - 306kM - 5.7sec
Nexon Prime -129ps - 245Nm - 1400Kg - 312km - 4.2sec

Tigor EV and Tiago EV LR has same 5.7Sec 0-60Kmph so to understand Tiago EV driveability, Just test drive Tigor EV. Petrol Swift has similar 0-60 performance.

Quote:

Nexon does a 129 X 245 (net power if you ignore the torque and power peak points, just to create a simplistic view)

In comparison the Tigor has 45 X 110 and has to lug, ˜1200.
I'm not sure why you are multiplying Power and Torque. It doesn't make sense to me. Can you please explain this?
TATA EVs use PMSM [Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors] Motors in their EVs so Torque curves are almost flat till power limit.

Quote:

Then is the charge cycles. For every 1000 kms of travel on both these cars you will have twice the number of charge cycles on the tigor v/s Nexon. Charge cycles directly affect (inversely) the life of the battery. And battery is the coslitest part of the EV.
Lets see, LFP Cells in TATA EVs are rated for 3000 cycles at 100% DOD[Depth of Discharge] to reach 80% SOH [State of Health]

So for Tiago MR, 3000cyles * 250Km = 7,50,000KM!

3000 cycles is 8.2 years if you are charging and discharging every single day without a break!

Even if you assume the practical range to 50%[125km] then, still you get 3,75,000KM!

if you are using only 80% charge per day than battery should last for 4500 cycles

Similarly for 60% usage, Battery will last for 10,000 cycles.

10,000 cycles is 27 Years!

Fundamentally, You don't need to worry about it cycle life of battery at all.
Car will be falling apart before you kill the battery by driving!

PS: All the above numbers are calculated at excessive 1C discharge rate. Discharge rate for Tiago MR at steady 60kmph is just 0.4C.

PPS: 1st Post in T-BHP! If People are interested, I can write a detailed post on EVs/Batteries.
SatheeshBHP is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 01:38   #242
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Tiago EV. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh; offers 315 km range

Kudos Tata

Very happy to see the niche and affordable product. The interviews with the executives gives good insight about the EV product, placement etc.

Off Topic: I am just wondering why Exide battery is sitting inside the Bonnet and why not Tata Green Battery?
Old 30th September 2022, 08:00   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I am having a very big question in mind. How many present waitlisted Nexon EV buyers might switch to this? Looks unlikely in the first place, but imagine, many selling their present ICE to sort off cover the price gap, they now want to keep their existing ICE, buy the Tiago EV, and still save a few lakhs over the Nexon.
Those wanting a bigger, better, SUV, will definitely go for the Nexon EV (max or prime).
I would think that this could be a good stopgap arrangement to ride an EV for the next 3-4 years, till we get the so called "born electric" EVs. My sense is that for the current price of a Nexon EV max, one may get a much better EV couple of years down the line, as things seem to be evolving very fast.

My mind is swinging like a pendulum.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 30th September 2022 at 08:03.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 08:09   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatheeshBHP View Post
PPS: 1st Post in T-BHP! If People are interested, I can write a detailed post on EVs/Batteries.
Interested? Your life is in danger now if you don't start a new thread on this
Seriously, please do write one: it would be a very opportune moment at the very beginning of EV explosion in India, with this car kick-starting it, as a lot of people like me see. It would be great at this juncture to have some authentic facts, so that our ICE prejudices clear, our EV literacy rate goes up, and stops us from turning into a Luddite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite
Nikhil Beke is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 08:50   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

14 inch wheels

I notice TATA has provided 14 inch wheels across all variants of Tiago EV. The ICE Tiago gets 15 inch wheels on top variant. I believe this is to offset the stiffer springs on the EV(?) and provide better ride quality owing to the higher side wall of 14 inch tyres.

In my opinion ,after a test ride of a 2020 Tiago, the ride quality of the pre 2019 Tiago is noticeably better in terms of cushioning compared to the post 2019 Tiago. TATA switched to 15 inch wheels to please the market demand for bigger wheels thereby trading on the ride quality.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th September 2022 at 08:52.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:05   #246
BHPian

Re: 14 inch wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I notice TATA has provided 14 inch wheels across all variants of Tiago EV. The ICE Tiago gets 15 inch wheels on top variant.

TATA switched to 15 inch wheels to please the market demand for bigger wheels thereby trading on the ride quality.
This is strange. I always thought bigger the wheel diameter better is the ride quality.
Old 30th September 2022, 09:26   #247
BHPian

Have already went ahead and booked the Tiago XT medium range variant. This will complement our Tigor EV.
Nanolover is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:37   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This is strange. I always thought bigger the wheel diameter better is the ride quality.
Even I felt that way, but my experience with Tiago was different. Felt the ride to be around 25% to 30% stiffer on the 15 inch wheels compared to my 14 inch wheel shod Tiago. And I feel my car to be pretty edgy over bumps even with properly maintained tyre pressure.
Old 30th September 2022, 09:41   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even I felt that way, but my experience with Tiago was different. Felt the ride to be around 25% to 30% stiffer on the 15 inch wheels compared to my 14 inch wheel shod Tiago. And I feel my car to be pretty edgy over bumps even with properly maintained tyre pressure.
Ride quality improves with thicker sidewalls. Unfortunately, the trending thing is to increase the rim/alloy size. From R14 to R15 in this case. This means the sidewall thickness (aka aspect ratio) has to be reduced, because the total diameter of the wheel needs to remain consistent. This is why you feel the ride quality to be stiffer and more jittery with 15 inch wheels.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:51   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Gee, not really. Let me explain my POV, please read on.

Anyway, let me explain why I think so, maybe it will help.

I want to be proven wrong, which is good, I might buy one if that happens. I feel this is too soon for TATA, too short packaging.
There are some grave mistakes in the calculation of yours. But I believe you want to say that Tiago/Tigor are underpowered cars.

Let me reiterate what I've been writing over different threads on this platform. 90% people DO NOT care what's the car's power figure or 0-100 timing is. India has 225 registered cars per 1000 people, which is amongst lowest in the world. In other words, this means 775 people out of 1000 have no exposure to the jargon we petrol-heads or now EV-heads talk about. Most of the people wants to have peace of mind with trouble free life of the car, low fuel/energy consumption & little bit ego satisfaction of owning a car! That's it.
Car companies can deny this at their own peril. Just compare the sales figures with a low powered (And obviously, low priced but efficient) car variant with High power (And obviously, high priced, less efficient) car variant. At max 10-15% of sales are coming from high power cars. Remember, although we would like to believe otherwise, but not every Sharma ji is on team-bhp & definitely not every Sharma ji is aware about the engineering/science behind car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatheeshBHP View Post
First Lets use correct unit. It is in kW. TATA website is wrong. 1kW = ~0.735 ps.

PS: All the above numbers are calculated at excessive 1C discharge rate. Discharge rate for Tiago MR at steady 60kmph is just 0.4C.

Thanks. You saved my time. This is what I was talking about the mistakes in Man & Machine's post. And yes, we are interested for a thread on EVs/batteries or any new learning. Please do so.

Last edited by speedguy : 30th September 2022 at 09:53.
speedguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:58   #251
BHPian

After Nexon.ev, I think this is a brilliant launch by TAMO. When time comes, this will be a good option to replace my wife's Polo GT 1.2 TSI, which is basically a city car with minimal usage (7000 - 8000 per year). Tiago.ev would be safe, comfortable, fast, tech-loaded and affordable (both buy & run). What more do we need in a city car! Even a medium range XT would do in our case.

BTW, we have never used the spare wheel on our Polo. We had one flat in entire ownership, and tyre shop was 200m away from our home!

Last edited by Comrade : 30th September 2022 at 09:59.
Old 30th September 2022, 10:19   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Have already went ahead and booked the Tiago XT medium range variant. This will complement our Tigor EV.
Booking starts on 10th Oct, how did you manage? Are dealers taking unofficially?
Old 30th September 2022, 11:14   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Booking starts on 10th Oct, how did you manage? Are dealers taking unofficially?
Yes, but they'll do the actual booking on 10th in bulk. But I think it's better to book it online directly when it starts on 10th. And not to rely on dealer to do it for you.
thugz_doge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 11:24   #254
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Many dealerships have indeed started taking unofficial bookings. I had contacted a dealership here in Kerala on the matter and they said bookings are open unofficially. I was contemplating an EV for a member of my family who wants a second car for city runabouts and the Tiago EV fits the bill perfectly. Compact, sub 10 lakhs pricing and no fuel expenses too. He has an on the grid solar system in his home, so free charging too.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 12:16   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Can you list the specific problems you are facing? Else your post looks like an unsubstantiated rant.

I drove my niece's petrol AMT Tiago in Chennai 2 months ago and found it very nice.
My problems faced so far

1. Multiple occasions of being stranded on highway due to a blown fuse relating to ignition. Despite several attempts to raise this to senior Tata officials, no progress or permanent fix. Each time I turn the key is a gamble. Me and my dad (who drive the car regularly) now carry a whole set of spare fuses even within the city

2. AMT Failure reported already once within 8k KMS. Never faced gearbox troubles with my manual Scorpio after 80k KMS also (sad I sold him ... "Ironhide")

3. Rusting on brake pads and various other wheel-well components. Not sure how long they will hold up. When reported, all that was done is sanding and return back, the rusting is back too

4. AMT jerkiness - This was known at the time I bought it too, but seems that since the AMT failure the issue has gotten worse so much so that I am driving it in M-mode now to avoid it

Hope that these details will stop a feeling of "unsubstantiated rant"
anand.shankar82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks