Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:22   #4786
Distinguished - BHPian

TG and Dr.Know thanks for your efforts, it really made some difference.

TG, i agree that you need to make that pic a bit more horizontal to give that feeling of horizon. If you can PM me your email, will send you the uncompressed version.

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:36   #4787
BHPian

Here is the result Mobike008:
The Official non-auto Image thread-low.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:18   #4788
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, thanks Mukul. This image has totally changed the shape of the original image for the better.

Thanks again for your effort and i must repeat that you are indeed quite good at landscape photography
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:25   #4789
BHPian

Absolutely! what a makeover TG!
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:25   #4790
BHPian

Thanks man, well I am trying to get better in other areas too
Heres one of my favorites, post processed to give a vintage old feel. It is a click i took recently, of the SF MOMA - San Francisco Museum Of Modern Arts.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3317631066_c68c2bc994_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 2nd March 2009 at 22:29.
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:33   #4791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Attachment 106899
Regards,
TG.
TG, that was awesome.
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:16   #4792
BHPian

Amazing work TG. Your imagination is too good & skill is envious especially in the SF MOMA pic.

I somehow feel that these pics are more suitable in Digital Arts/Photoshop Thread. I feel technology should be put use to its maximum to make the picture look natural.

Just MHO.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:07   #4793
BHPian

@mobike008
@sj_koova
@jkdas
@mansidea
Thanks!

@mansidea
Well, many have this opinion over Photography. Especially digital photography.
Digital art using photshop and digital photography are two different things though the line that separates them is thin.

For eg:- This is digital art, where the entire composition is made in photoshop, here nothing is real. Everything is either drawn or cut and pasted. The image below is one I had drawn from scratch using a pen tablet in photoshop. Here the composition itself is not real. Clearly, it is meant for the photoshop thread.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3274127386_a3d893d48a_o.jpg

But for images whose appeal is enhanced in Photoshop, the composition is brought from the lens by the cameraman. Pick up any photography magazine I can vouch that half the pages will be dedicated to software manips on images. Even pay a visit to any professional photographer's website to check this out. This is so because in film photography, we used a darkroom to process images from the camera. Clicking an image on film is only half the job done, the photographer then has to process it in his dark room to achieve the desired output. Many techniques like burning and dodging and even compositing (combining 2 or more images ,even HDR) were used by dark room developers.
With the advance in technology, digital media has no film but an image format, which can be equated to the negative since it is the capture of the camera (RAW is equivalent ot the digital negative). And now, the work that used to be done in a dark room has to be done in a digital dark room, which in most cases is a software like Photoshop or Gimp. Most of the filters used in digital software have real dark room counterparts. Though the process of applying it is far less tedious, but then thats what technology is all about! And finally its all about output. When a photo is hung up on a wall or framed on a table, if its looking beautiful, isnt that what is art?

To the photographer the camera is his tool. Digital or Film.

To the artist the camera becomes the color pallette and Photoshop the brushes. If any work is done other than the standard Curves, Color Saturation, and Sharpening, then it becomes the artist's interpretation or expression. Art can be surrealistic too. This is the essence of any form of art, the human element creeps in making every click different even if the same camera system and same composition prevails. some time they go for a natural look, other times a surreal painted look...all dependent on an artists mindset, mood and much more. If we take out this element a photographbecomes a mere piece of documented visual output with no soul. But yes, I agree that pics with no post processing can also yield excellent results by in-camera treatments.

Now, let me go and have a cup of coffee

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 3rd March 2009 at 00:27.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:42   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 106899
Regards,
TG.
Although this looks very dramatic and pleasing to the eye, the composition is redundant here. When doing landscape you want to it to be as close to the original as possible with may be a little bump up of the contrast and saturation.
When I did my HDR thingie with the pics I posted a few pages back I tried really hard not to make it look surreal or impossible. Just my opinion, although I envy your editting skills.
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:15   #4795
BHPian

@ExtremeTorque
Oh I totally agree with you. This was just a quick 5 minute edit since Mobike had requested. That's all. There isn't much of composition in that.
But there is no hard and fast rule that landscapes have to as close to the riginal as possible (again original is a very dicey word in digital). At least not among serious photographers. Well isn't photography or any art all about making it look pleasing to the senses?
I would love to know Rudra's take on this!
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 3rd March 2009 at 01:22.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:54   #4796
BHPian

Since of late I have been getting a lot of stick for pp, here's one with no pp at all but it sure isn't a sign of what is to come!
Clicked at the North Beach, San Francisco.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3270868565_4ea089b716_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 4th March 2009, 20:34   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
Since of late I have been getting a lot of stick for pp, here's one with no pp at all but it sure isn't a sign of what is to come!
TG.
I like your Processing skills. And the composition on your silhouette is great.

Another Bird in Flight pic from my side (Great Egret)
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_1408.jpg  

Old 4th March 2009, 21:34   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Amazing beach pic TG!
Old 4th March 2009, 22:05   #4799
BHPian

Hey thanks buds, fills my heart!

@TSEA
Nice click there and I know its a tough one to capture, I have managed very few such shorts...main problem with my P&S is that when shutter speed and zoom increases, I have to crank up the ISO and there, anything above 400 will be damn noisy....yet i have managed a few. This one was taken while on a boat trip.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3270311890_4ca392be21_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:22   #4800
BHPian

Quote:
Clicked at the North Beach, San Francisco.
Regards,
TG.
TG, thats a beautiful one.

Most Viewed