Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Google+, A new competitor to Facebook

Software giant Google released in what could be termed as the most hushed up way, a project that is aimed towards re-aligning for the war of social networking after their first and frankly feeble attempt 'Buzz'.

Google seems to have learned a lot from their mistakes in Buzz project and they are certainly going cautious on this highly ambitious project. Further, Google has already failed in another ambitious project, Wave, in recent times and there seems to be an air uncertainty in media and web over new innovations from technology giants.

While details on Google+ are still sketchy due to highly constraint rollout, It aims at more specific group of people among 'friends'for communication rather than Facebook where information is shared between all friends. Further, Google is likely to incorporate features like video chat and app sharing which is not currently provided by Facebook.

On the other hand, Facebook is moving leaps and bounds and continues to spearhead social networking revolution. Newer features in Facebook has allowed it to take its competitors head-on.

So, Will the new avatar of social networking by software giant be able to shake up the forts of Facebook? Are we going to see some fireworks on social networking front? OR, the current monsoon will once again fizzle Google's hope of complete domination of web space.

Here is a story by a user on Google+ which elaborates on overall experience and features:

First Night With Google(PLUS)
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google+, A new competitor to Facebook

Link is http://plus.google.com. But it is still in trial.
And there is already a plugin for Chrome to push updates to Facebook & Twitter - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bcoppmiflglnib
Old 29th June 2011, 15:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

When i was with Yahoo there was another social application that was built @ Yahoo called Mash. It never saw the light of the day as internal employees were the only ones using it. Looks like it was finally killed.

Problem with new Social Network apps today is member growth and evolution as most don't want to create a new social profile as most of my friends and family members are on something else. What stops me from using orkut (or maybe google+) is none of my family members of friends are there. Most are on facebook and hence i am also on facebook. You see this has got some crowd effect which isn't there in email applications etc (As i can be there on gmail even if my friends and family are on yahoo or hotmail, i can still communicate).

Lets see how the story unfolds.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 29th June 2011 at 16:00.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:04   #4
BHPian

Long long time ago, or what seems like a long time, there used to be Orkut. Everybody and their brother was on it. Then came Facebook. Everybody jumped from Orkut to Facebook. And there were many other specialized social networks along the way (MySpace, Flickr come to mind). And now comes Google+. Personally I am tired of all this social networking "thing". It's exciting in the beginning but how long you can care what somebody ate for breakfast or where they've been last weekend.

As they say, if it's free, you are the product being sold.
bansal98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Google already tried it's hand at social networking with Wave. Despite being the most advanced thing, it lost it's charm right from day one.

The flash content of Google+ doesn't fascinate me and I don't feel like using it.

Having said that, I thought the same about Twitter and today I'm one of the happy tweeple! *Fingers crossed*
Old 29th June 2011, 17:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Your opinions on newly launched Google Plus...

I did see the news that google is coming with its own version of Facebook challenger (yawn for a third time) by name Google Plus.

Google Faces Up to Facebook with ‘Plus’ Social Sharing Site - Techland - TIME.com

The demos look good, have anyone of you had any chance of getting your hands on it.

Do anyone have any invite which you can PM me please.. Would like to check it out.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh no, not another social networking site!

"Long long time ago, or what seems like a long time, there used to be Orkut. Everybody and their brother was on it. Then came Facebook. Everybody jumped from Orkut to Facebook. And there were many other specialized social networks along the way (MySpace, Flickr come to mind). And now comes Google+. Personally I am tired of all this social networking "thing". It's exciting in the beginning but how long you can care what somebody ate for breakfast or where they've been last weekend.

As they say, if it's free, you are the product being sold."

First orkut, then myspace, then facebook, now google+.
Surprisingly,m myspace didn't catch on much in India, and Orkut never caught up in North Americas and Europe.

All part of herd dynamics.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:19   #8
BANNED

This sums it all:

xkcd: Google+
Old 29th June 2011, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ah!!! finally!!! I was hoping (and waiting for) such a circles thing comes up in Facebook. Infact everytime I add some one to my contacts list, added them to a particular list but only to realise thats only helpful for chatting!!
Old 29th June 2011, 20:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Oh no, not another social networking site!

"Long long time ago, or what seems like a long time, there used to be Orkut. Everybody and their brother was on it. Then came Facebook. Everybody jumped from Orkut to Facebook. And there were many other specialized social networks along the way (MySpace, Flickr come to mind). And now comes Google+. Personally I am tired of all this social networking "thing". It's exciting in the beginning but how long you can care what somebody ate for breakfast or where they've been last weekend.

As they say, if it's free, you are the product being sold."

First orkut, then myspace, then facebook, now google+.
Surprisingly,m myspace didn't catch on much in India, and Orkut never caught up in North Americas and Europe.

All part of herd dynamics.
There was Google wave, and also Google buzz which is still buzzing, but with less volume. One advantage google has with google+ is they have included with all their services or will soon be. And as with FB like button, if you like an link that you find in search, and if you hit this google+, they say they will give it higher rating. this might work for them. But only time will say. wait and watch
Old 29th June 2011, 20:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Will somebody stop all this mania already !

I have friends who used to meet in person every two weeks, and now they just "poke" on Facebook - they would rather do this meaningless crap than even talk on phone.
vina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 21:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Facebook was started in a very unethical way: How Facebook Was Founded

I for one will be glad if it fade away into the history, just like Orkut or Myspace.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 23:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Once the novelty of Orkut died down, facebook was sought after.
Once facebook's novelty dies down, all shall get back to meeting face to face.
Byproducts of pop culture are contemporary/temporary. They can never achieve classic status.

For the record, I'm not active on any social networking sight. And yeah, this is a youngster reporting!

Everywhere you get to see trivialisation of something important. But on such sites excessive importance is given to all things trivial, which I find downright stupid!!

A major concern is that(due to the excitement, novelty and herd mentality) people have been over-exposing themselves and making a lot of personal info., public.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 29th June 2011 at 23:54.
Old 30th June 2011, 08:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Will somebody stop all this mania already !

I have friends who used to meet in person every two weeks, and now they just "poke" on Facebook - they would rather do this meaningless crap than even talk on phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98

It's exciting in the beginning but how long you can care what somebody ate for breakfast or where they've been last weekend. .....
Well folks, Its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Generation Y is not interested in email, Its a cultural as well as technological revolution, Social Networking sites is what they are using.

As per stats, email usage peaked in 2009 and has been gradually declining ever since.

It is predicted that your kids would use email only for some official communication maybe a job application or something, and not for regular communication with friends.

So if you don't want to get left behind, better get used to these networking sites and get on the bandwagon. I can see it already happening. You are at a family function maybe a wedding or something. And someone says Hey you guys had a nice trip to Malaysia right .. Someone else goes .. Oh you went to Malaysia ? .. Everyone looks at them .. Oh you are not on Facebook !! too bad you don't know whats going on.

Last edited by Fillmore : 30th June 2011 at 08:17.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 08:26   #15
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2011 at 16:44.
akhilesh is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks