Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 23:32   #91
BHPian

Doesn't the pressure switch already have a high pressure cutoff. I mean, don't they already have 2 preset pressures like a 40/60 switch which means that it will turn on the pump when pressure drops below 40 and switches it off when the pressure reaches 60. I just watched a video where they say that you should also check for leaks in your system which might be the reason for pressure dropping and making the pump run continuously.
Edit - Also check for sediment in the nipple connecting the pressure switch to the line. Sometimes, due to sediments, the pressure switch fails to see the pressure in the line and keeps running due to that.
Link to youtube video -

Last edited by rdst_1 : 15th May 2019 at 23:38.
Old 16th May 2019, 00:11   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Doesn't the pressure switch already have a high pressure cutoff...I just watched a video where they say that you should also check for leaks in your system which might be the reason for pressure dropping and making the pump run continuously.
Edit - Also check for sediment in the nipple connecting the pressure switch to the line...Link to Youtube video -
Thank you rdst_1 for your response. I replaced the switch today and it is working fine now. I didn't check if the sediment blockage was preventing the older switch from functioning properly. It does have the high pressure cutoff but if it malfunctions then how will the pump stop? I think it malfunctioned for me and due to this the pump kept running. However it could be due to the sediment and I will try cleaning it and using it again.
I do not believe there is any leakage because my borewell motor was not running due to having to refill the overhead tank. That has sensors to start and stop as well. Will check out the video link.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th May 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Removing youtube video from quote :)
Old 16th May 2019, 01:03   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Home automation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Has anyone tried the Yi or Mi IP cameras? I had 4 D-Link cameras but 2 stopped working and their service centre is located far off near near Town Hall, BLR. Toying with the other brands but means separate apps again. Any thoughts?
Bought 2 Mi 360 cameras and they are amazing in terms of image quality, build, features & speed. Leaves D-Link way behind especially with the cost factor of only 2.4K each. Buying a couple more for the covered outdoor areas soon.
Old 5th October 2019, 16:02   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on my 16A Sonoff switches with the consumption monitoring function. I had bought 2 of the higher rated 16A ones to specifically power my dryer, dishwasher and washing machine. However, all of the switches burnt out over time and I am not buying these heavy duty ones any more. Feel these are not suited to high power home appliances that draw high currents for extended periods. Better to avoid.

Just a heads-up to anyone thinking of the same.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 23:16   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Update on my 16A Sonoff switches with the consumption monitoring function. I had bought 2 of the higher rated 16A ones to specifically power my dryer, dishwasher and washing machine. However, all of the switches burnt out over time and I am not buying these heavy duty ones any more. Feel these are not suited to high power home appliances that draw high currents for extended periods. Better to avoid.

Just a heads-up to anyone thinking of the same.
I have a solution for you which I currently employ to start and stop my water pump with a normal Sonoff touch switch which is actually just rated for 2A.
All you have to do is buy a simple magnetic contactor. The switch just controls the small current which energizes the magnet on the contactor. The contactor circuit which carries the actual high current is then bypassed and keeps these electronic switches safe from the high current. The Sonoff switch is controlled both over wifi and by touch.
There won't be any consumption monitoring but one can still control the devices remotely. I use it because my water room and pump is more than 150ft away from the house.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 5th October 2019 at 23:19.
Old 5th October 2019, 23:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
.However, all of the switches burnt out over time and I am not buying these heavy duty ones any more.
I have been using the same for my borewell jet pump, 2T ac, two other 1.5T acs, 1hp pressure pump, two water heaters rated at 2kw, 21kg washing machine and luckily have not seen the issue you mention. However none of these cross more than 11a or so. Where has your burn been, I suppose you ruled out a loose contact at the connectors? Also have you monitored the current drawn for your dish washer and dryer?
Old 11th October 2019, 15:39   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
...a simple magnetic contactor....
How is this different from a relay?
Old 11th October 2019, 16:12   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Where has your burn been, I suppose you ruled out a loose contact at the connectors? Also have you monitored the current drawn for your dish washer and dryer?
I am afraid the burns were indeed probably due to a loose contact and/or excessive dampness or intermittent exposure to water spray. I still have one but that is fitted to an extension cord powering ordinary light bulbs.

Unfortunately I neglected to note or export the current usage when the switches were active, and cannot recall the data now
Old 12th October 2019, 07:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
How is this different from a relay?
Same principle. Contactors are preferred to be used over relays for high voltage, high wattage usage as they won't need cooling, which is needed by relays which tend to get quite hot at high wattage, continuous use.
I also have a 220V, 30A relay that I am gonna use for a small arduino based humidistat I am making to control an AC so I'll update over here regarding the reliability.
Old 13th December 2019, 08:57   #100
BHPian

I'm thinking about building a simple plant-watering system that will save us the hassle of moving potted plants to neighbor's place whenever we head out on vacation. Objective is to keep it as simple as possible - so, no fancy stuff like soil moisture monitoring, and just need on/off control on a fixed schedule.

I've seen sonoff mentioned on this thread, so a question for users: Once programmed, can it "retain state"? In other words, I would like to connect the switch to wifi only when I need to program something. If the switch depends on cloud to determine when to turn on/off, that is one more thing that can go wrong - what if the internet connectivity drops when the switch is on? Would it continue to pump water until internet comes back up. It would be terrible to be back from vacation and find the home flooded..

In summary, need something that:
- Can be programmed once, and then work without wifi/internet
- Retains programming in case of power failures
- Has a graceful failure mode - remains "off" when wrong, rather than "on"
- EDIT: Has "on-time" granularity of seconds and not minutes..

So, is the sonoff (link below) the right thing for me? If not, please recommend.
https://www.amazon.in/Sonoff-Wireles...6205979&sr=8-4

Thanks,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 13th December 2019 at 08:59.
Old 16th December 2019, 02:41   #101
BHPian

You can also buy devices which specifically do this. Doesn't need any internet. This will work off a faucet and no need for electricity or pumps. Just regular drip irrigation.

Elitech Drip Irrigation Water Timer | Digital Controller (Fully Automatic) | Adapters + Batteries Included, Water Resistant https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07V3NC8QX/..._ueQ9DbGG4Z00G

Edit - Just gave an example. You can do your research and find cheaper alternatives. There are other various timers available as well for cheap which doesn't require internet.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 16th December 2019 at 02:44.
Old 16th December 2019, 09:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

We have a 7 feet high vertical garden installed by a professional. The ELITECH unit barely lasted few months, and repeated tinkering could not resurrect it. So the guy fitted the drip system direct to tap and has turned it by just a mm, and the water 'micro-drips' all day through. I'm planning to get a good system from the US since the ones available in India are of dubious quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I'm thinking about building a simple plant-watering system that will save us the hassle of moving potted plants to neighbor's place whenever we head out on vacation. Objective is to keep it as simple as possible - so, no fancy stuff like soil moisture monitoring, and just need on/off control on a fixed schedule. I've seen sonoff mentioned on this thread, so a question for users: Once programmed, can it "retain state"?
Attached Thumbnails
Home automation Thread-img_9897.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 16th December 2019 at 09:43.
Old 16th December 2019, 18:42   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We have a 7 feet high vertical garden installed by a professional. The ELITECH unit barely lasted few months, and repeated tinkering could not resurrect it. So the guy fitted the drip system direct to tap and has turned it by just a mm, and the water 'micro-drips' all day through. I'm planning to get a good system from the US since the ones available in India are of dubious quality.
Thanks for your feedback and saving me the pain - Elitech was one of the options I was considering. Looks like putting in a new setup and leaving plants dependent on it, isn't such a good idea.

Keep us posted on what you install and how it goes.
Old 18th December 2019, 00:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm planning to get a good system from the US since the ones available in India are of dubious quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Keep us posted on what you install and how it goes.
If you want to take a shot, all you will need is a Solenoid valve (kind used in RO water filters), a 12 or 24V smps and a wifi enabled timer switch (I use eWeLink). I had used this setup to release air from my borewell pump line when water wasn't going up. You can connect the solenoid valve to a water source and connect a hose on the other end to your plants. The timer will open the solenoid valve as per your settings and release water to the plants. I would also connect a MI wireless camera to this setup to remotely monitor the workings. The prices approx are SV - 150, Smps 350, wifi timer 700 + plumbing, tubes and t joints etc. MI cameras start at about 750rs or so, if you can get it from Malaysia.
Old 18th December 2019, 08:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. If you have done it please share pics. Yes, that's the basic idea and if cams are cheap over there, then why not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
If you want to take a shot, all you will need is a Solenoid valve

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks