Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 06:55   #5356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Update: I tested the Olympus Zuiko 18-180mm this morning on my oldie DSLR and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see the picture quality. It is a very good lens for ample bright conditions (Which is why I wanted this lens in the 1st place). Images were albeit on softer side at 18mm, but dramatically sharp at 150-180mm focal length.

As I own Leica D 14-50mm F/2.8-3.5 already that I use mostly for wide angle shots, I wasn't too bothered about image softness during wide open settings from this Zuiko lens. I tried to negotiate on price, but was only able to bring down the seller to $110. Closed the deal at that price and brought this beautiful glass home that will hopefully suit my needs, for a good price.

Lens came with box, front and back lens cap, lens hood, instruction manual and the original receipt of $605 in Dec 2008.
Sounds like a Great deal!! Enjoy the lens.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:53   #5357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you want a value deal and comfortable waiting for 30-40 days in shipment buy a monfretto clone from dealextreme.com at 64$. ( approx 3K rupees)

DealExtreme: $63.85 1.5M Aluminum Alloy Digital Camera Tripod (5KG Load Max)
Cheers for sharing the link.

Paid for!!
Old 15th October 2010, 12:24   #5358
BHPian

Hi guys,

Need your advice on manual focus lens purchase.

I currently own Canon 1000D + kit lens. I was in the market for an affordable wide angle prime lens and came across reviews of Zeiss Contax 28/2.8 and 25/2.8.
The lenses are available at USD300-400 and looks like real value for money.
Although all of the reviews are positive I am unsure about the manual focus part of it.

How difficult is it to shoot in manual focus mode? Is the stop down metering tedious? I will be using the lens for general street/landscape photography.
Please share your experience.
Old 15th October 2010, 17:48   #5359
BHPian

Hey

Im an amateur to say the most, but since Im planning to upgrade I thought I'd ask anyone around here for advice if they can help me out of course.

Im planning to upgrade from my D40. After a long speculation, advice, and some research i narrowed down on the Canon 550D. Its a great camera and I have set my heart to buying it. But the thing is living in Silvassa Im not aware of where to buy it from. I dont want to go for authorized dealers, I would prefer a good grey market. Delhi has Palika but I dont know anything about Mumbai except lots of choices where I havent been. Some say Manish market, while the others are pointing towards Alfa. Some even said a place called Musafarkhana.

Im also familiar that there are grey markets in Pune...
if anybody knows a reliable dealer please help me out here.
Old 15th October 2010, 17:58   #5360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavarya View Post
Hey

Im planning to upgrade from my D40. After a long speculation, advice, and some research i narrowed down on the Canon 550D.
Why don't you pick up something in Nikon, that way you can still use the lens that you currently have.
Old 15th October 2010, 19:56   #5361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Why don't you pick up something in Nikon, that way you can still use the lens that you currently have.
I don't have any lens except for the kit lens which I plan to sell of along with the D40. Besides I considered the D90 but its a little expensive and also considered the D5000 which is kind of hot giving it comes with a flexible screen but again does not cut the 550D's smashing deal. Please correct me if Im wrong anywhere about the facts. I have tried my best to research.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:26   #5362
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am upgrading from my Panasonic Lumix FZ28 which is a SUPERcam according to me, with the best iAuto modes ever seen.
I particularly need a DSLR to take good quality photos 'intra-orally,' IE of teeth and I intend to keep records of the same.
Now, I am looking keenly at the Nikon D3100, owing to it's all rounder capabilities. I will be using it for other purposes too, but not so much for Video. More so, for taking good macro shots.
Is it's image stabilization of good calibre to allow me good closeup shots with/without flash in a child's mouth (mention child since they can't keep very stable)
Any other ideas? AM I on the right path?
Old 16th October 2010, 01:19   #5363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Guys, I am upgrading from my Panasonic Lumix FZ28 which is a SUPERcam according to me, with the best iAuto modes ever seen.
I particularly need a DSLR to take good quality photos 'intra-orally,' IE of teeth and I intend to keep records of the same.
Now, I am looking keenly at the Nikon D3100, owing to it's all rounder capabilities. I will be using it for other purposes too, but not so much for Video. More so, for taking good macro shots.
Is it's image stabilization of good calibre to allow me good closeup shots with/without flash in a child's mouth (mention child since they can't keep very stable)
You should stick with a good p&s only, IMHO.
Old 16th October 2010, 08:47   #5364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
No, you are not on the right path. Real macro lenses on dSLR have very thin DOF, which means you will have huge problem in focusing and composing your shots. It is very difficult to shoot macros in dSLR without tripod. You'll have to use ring flash (very expensive) to get any realistic shots. This will be a big setup.

For you purpose, you need deep DOF and the ability to shoot without tripod. Therefore P&S is the VFM solution.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:13   #5365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavarya View Post
Hey

Im an amateur to say the most, but since Im planning to upgrade I thought I'd ask anyone around here for advice if they can help me out of course.

Im planning to upgrade from my D40. After a long speculation, advice, and some research i narrowed down on the Canon 550D. Its a great camera and I have set my heart to buying it. But the thing is living in Silvassa Im not aware of where to buy it from. I dont want to go for authorized dealers, I would prefer a good grey market. Delhi has Palika but I dont know anything about Mumbai except lots of choices where I havent been. Some say Manish market, while the others are pointing towards Alfa. Some even said a place called Musafarkhana.

Im also familiar that there are grey markets in Pune...
if anybody knows a reliable dealer please help me out here.
Hi, recently I got to see D40 and results from this camera was excellent. Any specific reason you are forced to look for an upgrade from D40 ? When I went through the pages of this thread, what I understood was that, people upgrade, buy lenses more often than upgrading the body.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:34   #5366
Senior - BHPian

@anubhav - you should now upgrade to a camera which offers you full button control (two wheels, no menus required) - 550D does NOT do that. Hold tight to your money.

@amitk26: I've gotten shipments in both 8 days & 30 days from DX. The difference was that the first time around, I gave office address (delhi), second time home address (gurgaon) - the moment any parcel needs to change too many hands is when it takes forever. Ordering for a central mumbai address would solve matters. And one near the intl airport (if poss) would be even faster!!

@frank: 100% going with samurai here. Online Depth of Field Calculator will open your eyes. Here's what it says (try your own assumptions here):
Subject distance 0.67 m (2ft)

Depth of field Near limit 0.66 m Far limit 0.68 m Total 0.01 m In front of subject 0.01 m (50%) Behind subject 0.01 m (50%) Hyperfocal distance 70.2 m Circle of confusion 0.02 mm

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...rstanding_dof/ is a good linkie

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th October 2010 at 09:37.
Old 16th October 2010, 14:48   #5367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@anubhav - you should now upgrade to a camera which offers you full button control (two wheels, no menus required) - 550D does NOT do that. Hold tight to your money.
Which cam are you suggesting then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Hi, recently I got to see D40 and results from this camera was excellent. Any specific reason you are forced to look for an upgrade from D40 ? When I went through the pages of this thread, what I understood was that, people upgrade, buy lenses more often than upgrading the body.
The D40 is a great camera but I see that I need a camera with a bigger sensor and better options than my D40. I would love to try out Astro Photography and putting my money in the lens and equipment for astro photography for this camera doesn't make any sense. Not because its inferior, but i can do more with more if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th October 2010 at 17:01. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 16th October 2010, 22:59   #5368
Senior - BHPian

I'd say the D90 atleast if not the D7000 if your budget approves.

btw, bigger sensor, then min is a D700
Astro photography is a separate discussion. There's a dr on thephotographer.in who does it with a 350D so please THINK twice!

Wait for the D7000 to come out, then find some lovely black friday etc offers...!
Old 16th October 2010, 23:23   #5369
BHPian

@phamilyman: People always talk about specs and the camera's performance. Does it matter? What are your thoughts about the D90 compared to the 550D.

The D7000's launch price would be simply out of my budget even in the grey market. Also looking at the canon 60D. Still waiting for the price, but would like to know some views on the comparo above. Some say the 550D is a good amateur, some say the D90 is a semi pro.

Please enlighten!!
Old 16th October 2010, 23:28   #5370
BHPian

Hi All

just got myself nikon D3100 with kit lens .love the grip and feel of the camera.
still going through the manual to figure out all the features.

want some suggestions for screen protector .
should i go for hard plastic one or the normal film screen protector.

It will be better if someone can post some links for buying screen protector online for D3100.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks