Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 22:42   #9751
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thank you aburagohain!! Did you get them shipped to India from that site? Faced any customs issues?
Yes I got them shipped to India, both times no problem with customs, only thing is that probably customs spring into action when the word camera is mentioned in the invoice or anywhere on the parcel information.

So you can leave a note to the seller to mark it as anything imaginable electronic but not remotely related to cameras, good luck
Old 18th May 2012, 22:52   #9752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I think the one Tx & Rx pair will work for me......
Adding to what Apratim said above, I had got mine (1 trigger & 3 receiver kit) from Yongnuo HK ebay site. They are good quality for its worth. Usually takes 15 days to reach here by ordinary HK post. If the order is less than 4 to 5k I dont think there is any customs issue, unless they poke on every packet for extra juice to their kitty.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:55   #9753
BHPian

UV Filter & Exposure

Hi!
I've been reading about how DSLRs tend to mess up exposure (under certain conditions) IF a UV filter is attached; Exposure corrects itself when UV filter is removed.

Any experience / advice here? I usually have a UV permanently on , unless I am using a polarizer.

Thanks...
Old 19th May 2012, 10:54   #9754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Adding to what Apratim said above, I had got mine (1 trigger & 3 receiver kit) from Yongnuo HK ebay site. They are good quality for its worth. Usually takes 15 days to reach here by ordinary HK post. If the order is less than 4 to 5k I dont think there is any customs issue, unless they poke on every packet for extra juice to their kitty.
Thanks shaju. I am not very confident ordering from international shopping sites.. Recently i had to pay duty for a pair of drls worth rs2500. That was shipped from hongkong.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th May 2012 at 10:55.
Old 19th May 2012, 11:13   #9755
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I need your help in coming over this dilemma. Want to try my hand at an entry level DSLR and have zeroed in on Nikon D3100, Canon 1100D or Sony SLT A35. Now, my interest lies in birds, animals and insects. So, I need both telephoto and good macro capabilities.

1100D is available with 18-55 and 55-250 (both IS lenses) bundle @ 35K. D3100 with 18-55 kit is appx 33K. Sony SLT A35 with kit is appx 33K.

Now, my queries and subsequent confusion are:

1) Nikon and Canon does not have in body image stabilization, Sony has in body sensor shift stabilisation. So, can one use a non IS 55-250 lens (from Tamaron/Sigma etc which are much cheaper) with good results in Sony or this sensor shift IS is no good in comparison optical IS and I'd be needing an IS lens in any case?

2) If IS in Sony is good then I can go ahead with A35 with kit lens for 32-33K and buy a non IS Tamron for 9.5 K which in total would be appx 41-42K for the total package. Or shall I go ahead with Canon 1100D with both the IS lenses bundled @ 35K which is much economical. On paper though the A35 sensor is bigger and better. Pls advise about real world results.

3) How good would be a reverse mounted 18-55 kit lens for macro? Whose results would be better Canon/Nikon or Sony?

4) How much is the difference, if any, between results of a lens stabilised telephoto with no camera IS as in Canon/Nikon and a camera sensor shift IS with a non IS telephoto lens as in Sony A35?

The crux of this quandary is that is I go for the Canon 1100D with the bundled IS lenses it is very economical. If I go for the A35, the cost goes up significantly (but with in body IS). Same for D3100, but it does not have in body IS and has less feature for the price compared to the Sony. So is it worthwhile to pay extra for the Sony IS or IQ is also better than 1100D/D3100?

Guys, pls advice which one should I go for considering very good IQ.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 19th May 2012 at 11:16.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:09   #9756
Senior - BHPian

Wanderer,
If you want to shoot macros easily, i'd say you go for evf equipped A35 instead of traditional slrs.

I have A35 and i use old Minolta lenses in that and still get advantages of sensor stabilization. You have instant live view always available in it and you can zoom in a particular portion of the frame and manual focus precisely. You have a working dof preview which will be useful for macros. Plus you have stacked noise reduction and built in hdr feature.
Iso ranges upto 25600.

I've found that sensor stabilization works pretty well even with my 70-210mm lens.

The lcd screen in A35 is much better than the others in comparison.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th May 2012 at 13:16.
Old 19th May 2012, 14:08   #9757
BHPian

Thanks, clevermax. I was looking forward to your views, you being experienced with the A35. I have seen your macro images in the other thread which have turned out great. But, my concern is also telephoto end of the zoom and since I want to be economical at this learning stage, shall I get good results with the A35 + a regular non IS lens or an IS lens with 1100D will give still better results? (Here the confusion is about results from lens stabilised IS + non IS body, 1100D, and non IS lens + sensor shift IS body, the A35. Though sensor shifts are said to be inferior, real world results may be different.)If you've used/compared the 1100D with your A35, pls share your views. Why I am cribbing about IS is because I don't have very steady hands so need to be sure which will give me good results in telephoto.

Regards.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 19th May 2012 at 14:15.
Old 19th May 2012, 16:49   #9758
Senior - BHPian

Wanderer, I have used 1100D for some time with a non IS 18-55 and had shared my comparisons mostly wrt iso, wb etc. several pages back. I'm typing from mobile so can't search that posts out..

Sensor stabilization is said to be inferior, yes. I haven't found that as a glaring issue anyhow, with my 210mm old non IS lens. Can't comment on how it will perform for longer focal lengths. As an example for SSS, I had a handheld shot of a chameleon at 210mm with a shutter speed of 1/30s.

500px.com/photo/4671476

Last edited by clevermax : 19th May 2012 at 16:51.
Old 20th May 2012, 22:41   #9759
Senior - BHPian

Couple of sample shots for you wanderer - handheld Super Steady Shot examples

1/50s, ISO1600, 70mm, custom wb
The DSLR Thread-_dsc4693.jpg

1/80s, ISO400, 180mm
The DSLR Thread-dsc03809.jpg
Old 21st May 2012, 12:22   #9760
Senior - BHPian

Thought I would share this with you folks.

D4 owners, apart from being weather sealed, your camera is bear sealed too!

D4.... GRIZZLY Proof! - FM Forums

@R2D2, wot say ?

Its time to test the D800 now
Old 21st May 2012, 14:35   #9761
BHPian

Quote:
Sensor stabilization is said to be inferior, yes. I haven't found that as a glaring issue anyhow, with my 210mm old non IS lens. Can't comment on how it will perform for longer focal lengths. As an example for SSS, I had a handheld shot of a chameleon at 210mm with a shutter speed of 1/30s.

500px.com/photo/4671476
Not sure why that's the case. I know we have had a long discussion on this one here couple of years ago. Anyway, the OM-D is getting rave reviews of its 5 axis IBIS. People are shooting at 1/4s handheld!

Here's one such photograph:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Image Thread - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
Old 21st May 2012, 18:34   #9762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

@R2D2, wot say ?

Yikes! That's ~$18K worth of gear under attack. Made me wince. Nice find Sachin.

Though I am not very surprised to see that camera and lens survive the fall. I guess the bear didn't bother too much about the lens/camera combo and focussed more on the tripod which didn't make it through an attack by a 220 kg creature with big teeth and claws. I have seen photos of men standing on a Gitzo 5 series. Those 'pods are tough

As for the D800, it is built well, but believe me it is not as well made like the huge pro body (D3 series/D4). I wouldn't expect it to survive without some damage.
Old 21st May 2012, 18:47   #9763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

@R2D2, wot say ?

That bear was definitely sent on a mission by Canon to destroy a Nikon

BTW, guys, anyone recently bought a Canon 5D Mark III? What is the best price available as of now? Last I heard was around 1.77L, have things got improved or still the same or it has become worse now?
Regards,
Old 21st May 2012, 18:59   #9764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post

BTW, guys, anyone recently bought a Canon 5D Mark III? What is the best price available as of now? Last I heard was around 1.77L, have things got improved or still the same or it has become worse now?
Regards,
Rs 1.77 is a good price for the 5DMk3 given the MSRP of Rs 2.06L. That's a discount of 14% - decent for a new model camera. IMHO Canon's ripping people off here - the Mk3 is nearly 80K over the Mk2 price.

Prices for DSLRs generally don't drop sharply until the product is at its end of life and a successor product introduced.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:26   #9765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yikes! That's ~$18K worth of gear under attack. Made me wince. Nice find Sachin.

Though I am not very surprised to see that camera and lens survive the fall. I guess the bear didn't bother too much about the lens/camera combo and focussed more on the tripod which didn't make it through an attack by a 220 kg creature with big teeth and claws. I have seen photos of men standing on a Gitzo 5 series. Those 'pods are tough

As for the D800, it is built well, but believe me it is not as well made like the huge pro body (D3 series/D4). I wouldn't expect it to survive without some damage.
See page 5 or 6 in the same link. A D3 is being gnawed by another grizzly. Nikon surely is built tough! I doubt if I can say the same about Canon :P

@R2D2, see your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post

Regards,
People don't miss a chance to start off a Nikon/Canon war

A week back I was in the shop to buy a Lowepro bag. A family bought a 5DIII with dunno what lens. They were billed 2.2L. It was very apparent that it was their first purchase, they were asking the shopkeeper what accessories to buy! The guy was asking what would a filter do, which filter to buy! The shop keeper threw a el cheapo Marumi, a local sling bag as freebie.

I was really

People buy top of the line stuff to learn!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks