Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 12:46   #46
BHPian

Re: Windows 8 anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's right. Buying a DVD is not required. As mentioned below, you can burn the ISO image to a DVD (or USB drive) after the download is complete. The stub programme will walk you thru the process.
I was kinda confused whether to buy the DVD or to go the download and install way, Since you never know when you'd need to re install your OS. At that time the DVD might come handy.

Thanks to you, I'll better download and burn the ISO to DVD. That way I can save quite a few bucks and also have a DVD for future re-installation if necessary.
Old 28th October 2012, 12:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If you bought your windows laptop or desktop recently, you can upgrade to Win 8 Pro for just INR 699. Check this, you will get a promo code via mail, which can be used while making the payment: https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/
PS: Anybody can get the promo code by giving the right date

@vikram_d, thanks for the offer. Let me check.
I bought my laptop more than a year back.

And I had also came around an article in some site mentioning the same( providing the RIGHT date). Just thought shall stick to T-BHP rules as it is in some way unethical. Anyways I'll give it a try

MODS: Please merge this post with my previous one.

Last edited by neerajpv87 : 28th October 2012 at 12:55.
Old 28th October 2012, 13:08   #48
BHPian

I have Windows Vista and currently trying out Windows 8 Trial on my laptop. Rs 1999 upgrade to Windows 8 Professional seems tempting. Even if we don't like the Modern UI, the desktop seems to be that of Win 7 Professional. So worth a buy at this price. Have time till 31st Jan 2013.
Old 29th October 2012, 16:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

a quick question.

How good is the so called MODERN UI with conventional non touch laptop? I have a Dell Vostro which i purchased in March 2012. The laptop is well speced. But i am in double minds about upgrading to Win 8. All the reviews that i saw so far have been pointing towards touch interface and how good it is. Are there any users here who have Win 8 installed on their Laptops? Please share your reviews here so many like me can benefit from the same.

Sadly my laptop is pre June 2012 so i am not qualified for the 699/- upgrade offer. But 1999/- is also a great price.

What is the Windows Upgrade Offer?
If you buy a qualifying Windows 7 PC between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013, you can purchase a download of Windows 8 Pro at a special promotional price that varies by region.

Source : http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IN/Home/Faq

Awaiting some feedback.

Thanks.

Regards,
Old 29th October 2012, 16:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
How good is the so called MODERN UI with conventional non touch laptop?
Please check post #21 on page 2, I have shared my feedback. BTW, the Modern UI is also called TIFKAM - The Interface Formerly Known As Metro.
Old 29th October 2012, 16:55   #51
BHPian

I'm interested in Windows 8 as it has me enticed and my pre-release "test drives" went well. But now I'm interested in getting the post-release retail version, and all I can find are the upgrade options that have been discussed on this thread already.

Can someone tell me if Windows 8 Pro is available for fresh installs (no upgrades). Or Windows 8 System Builder version? Where can I buy these?
Old 29th October 2012, 17:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
...Can someone tell me if Windows 8 Pro is available for fresh installs (no upgrades). Or Windows 8 System Builder version? Where can I buy these?
Go through the "upgrade" website and make the payment and the upgrade tool will download the Win8 installer.

Once download is done, select the option to "Write to media" (you have an option to write to USB, media and a third one I think is run the upgrade process). Select media and save the file to your hard disk. Post saving the file, the tool will prompt you if it can start writing to the DVD (ensure you have a blank DVD in your drive). You can also write the DVD later using any other ISO writers.

Use this DVD to do a fresh install. No need to upgrade the existing version.

Followed this route and have Win7 & Win8 on dual boot.
Old 29th October 2012, 17:20   #53
BHPian

@HappyWheels - Thanks. Call me anal-retentive, but is that legal? You can see why I would be confused - one goes through the upgrade route and then does a fresh install, so that raises a doubt in my mind.

If it can be confirmed that this is legal then I will go ahead and do like you have outlined. Also, do I get to download Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro if I do that?
Old 29th October 2012, 17:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

@Snkjr: I was under the same impression as you. Infact, I doubted if I can download a "upgrade" ISO and do a fresh install. The instruction I got for doing this was from a Microsoft support site noted down by a MVP - that is as good a being legal for me.

Took me hell lot of Google to track it down.

Apart from the fresh install query, I also did not want to spend my money on a 'upgrade only' version - and you get to download screen only after payment. So, hope you understand I did quite a bit of verification before going down that road.
Old 29th October 2012, 20:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
@HappyWheels - Thanks. Call me anal-retentive, but is that legal? You can see why I would be confused - one goes through the upgrade route and then does a fresh install, so that raises a doubt in my mind.

If it can be confirmed that this is legal then I will go ahead and do like you have outlined. Also, do I get to download Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro if I do that?
All genuine windows need to go through online activation after you install it and that's how Microsoft verifies original software. It's legal once verified, no doubt.
Old 29th October 2012, 21:44   #56
BHPian

@HappyWheels and @dadu - thanks for the clarification. I'm gonna go ahead and go through that 'upgrade' now.
Old 29th October 2012, 22:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody let me know where I can find the TV commercial of Windows 8 that is being aired right now. A cursory look at youtube search results did not help.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:05   #58
BANNED

I personally think that let Win8 be debugged, there are bound to be a lot of bugs in any first release. Also, you really need a touch screen to fully enjoy it. So unless you have a cheap upgrade deal with your new purchase just wait.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys been able to buy the license? I have been trying and the upgrade assistant keeps telling that it is not available in my region.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
...Also, you really need a touch screen to fully enjoy it...
Is it?

I am using it on a regular laptop (trusty old XPS 1530) and haven't found a spot yet where I felt a touch screen would have been better.

So, what is it that I am missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Have you guys been able to buy the license? I have been trying and the upgrade assistant keeps telling that it is not available in my region.
Are you going in through this URL? https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks