Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 21:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Windows 8 anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Did you upgrade or did you burn the dvd and installed afresh ?
Installed it from a USB drive. I used Windows 7 USB tool to write the ISO file to a USB stick.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:59   #77
BHPian

I've an AMD quad-core assembled PC with 4 GB RAM. I was using Win XP earlier. I had planned to buy Win 7 about a year ago. But the 5-7k price tag put me off. 2k price tag for Win 8 is attractive :-)

I bought it on Wednesday night, downloaded last night and installed this morning. It looks good, pretty fast. I have to reinstall a whole lot of programs now, done with iTunes, OpenOffice, QuickHeal and Chrome. Microsoft does not have driver for their own LifeCam! Epson driver does not recognize printer, but recognizes scanner! A lot of toil over the weekend, huhhhhh.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 9th November 2012 at 10:01.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Installed it from a USB drive. I used Windows 7 USB tool to write the ISO file to a USB stick.
Upgraded the earlier version from the USB stick or Installed fresh ?
Old 9th November 2012, 12:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Upgraded the earlier version from the USB stick or Installed fresh ?
First tried to an upgrade from the beta version but it gave me an error saying upgrade of beta version not possible. So did a fresh install.
Old 9th November 2012, 14:38   #80
BHPian

Installed windows 8 yesterday. I must say its 'Awesome'. Everything is so fluidic. Boots up in under 10 seconds.

After reading the negative reviews i was a bit skeptical of the upgrade but now i am impressed. Although it takes some time to learn the new ways but its great. Got lots of apps. The metro UI is great. Although wished the power button was a little handy.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:02   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Although wished the power button was a little handy.
+1, I had to rush to have breakfast and leave for office this morning. And I was searching for power/shutdown icon I installed Win 8 this morning, my first brush with Win 8.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Although wished the power button was a little handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
+1, I had to rush to have breakfast and leave for office this morning. And I was searching for power/shutdown icon I installed Win 8 this morning, my first brush with Win 8.
Most keyboards these days have a standby button which you can configure in your OS to either put the system into standby, make it hibernate or shut it down. The button has a crescent moon icon on it. I have configured this button to shut down my system. So when I need to shutdown, I just close all apps and press the button. Simple.

I was using this button even with Windows 7.

Another quick way is to just go to the desktop mode and press Alt+F4.

Edit: Just remembered another quick way. The power button on the CPU can also be configured to shut down the system To activate this go to the Control Panel > Power Options. In the power options window you will see an item called "Choose what the power buttons do". Click on this and set the power button to shut down the system. Once this is done all you need to do to shut down the system is to press the power button on the CPU once.

Last edited by vikram_d : 9th November 2012 at 15:21.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:24   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, having a bit of a problem with windows 8. Whenever I start the system it never goes to the lock screen. After the windows startup screen it just goes black! A few nudges to the power button puts it to sleep after which it starts fine!

I am still running the release preview. I have had this problem since I installed it. Earlier it was not as frequent. Now though, happens on every boot!

Anyone else faced it?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 9th November 2012 at 15:26.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys, having a bit of a problem with windows 8. Whenever I start the system it never goes to the lock screen. After the windows startup screen it just goes black! A few nudges to the power button puts it to sleep after which it starts fine!

I am still running the release preview. I have had this problem since I installed it. Earlier it was not as frequent. Now though, happens on every boot!

Anyone else faced it?
Seems like a hardware problem. I have faced such problems on various PC's when a defective hardware or about to go bad hardware is connected.

I faced this problem even on my current system when the wireless network card went kaput. The system would just not boot properly or like mentioned by you it would boot up randomly.

Giving us more details about how your install was done would help and also details of system configuration. Are you running single Windows 8 or are you dual booting.

If you are dual booting is the dual boot setup on 2 separate HDD's or on 2 separate partitions of the same HDD?
Old 9th November 2012, 15:38   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
Giving us more details about how your install was done would help and also details of system configuration. Are you running single Windows 8 or are you dual booting.

If you are dual booting is the dual boot setup on 2 separate HDD's or on 2 separate partitions of the same HDD?
I downloaded the release preview iso from MS and made a bootable usb stick using the windows utility. No dual boot setup.

Configuration is - i5, 2GB RAM, and 500GB hdd. No standalone graphics card. I updated all the drivers to latest versions. The intelHD and the bios drivers just a few days back. Sadly it didn't help.

I never faced this issue with 7. Will try a few more things and return to 7 if it continues.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:55   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
Edit: Just remembered another quick way. The power button on the CPU can also be configured to shut down the system To activate this go to the Control Panel > Power Options. In the power options window you will see an item called "Choose what the power buttons do". Click on this and set the power button to shut down the system. Once this is done all you need to do to shut down the system is to press the power button on the CPU once.
I've also been using the power button to shutdown. Since its a laptop its sort of part if the keyboard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice

I downloaded the release preview iso from MS and made a bootable usb stick using the windows utility. No dual boot setup.

Configuration is - i5, 2GB RAM, and 500GB hdd. No standalone graphics card. I updated all the drivers to latest versions. The intelHD and the bios drivers just a few days back. Sadly it didn't help.

I never faced this issue with 7. Will try a few more things and return to 7 if it continues.
I would suggest installing the final Windows 8. Because even if you don't have proper drivers, problem like this shouldn't occur.
After this if the problem still persists you can go to windows 7 and see if its gone. If not ,its a hardware problem.
You can do vice-versa.

Check for the problem before updating the drivers.

Last edited by k2max6 : 9th November 2012 at 16:05.
Old 9th November 2012, 17:57   #87
BHPian

I need some help on the Windows 8 installation.
I have a spare Dell inspiron Laptop running on Windows 7 Ultimate,

I purchased Windows 8 online, and completed the download. It does all the installation and then comes up with a 0x000021a and goes back to the windows 7 version. Doing a bit of googling around I understand the download might not be correct. Has anyone faced a similar situation? I am now waiting for the media, which I understand would take 15 - 20 days !!
Old 9th November 2012, 19:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
I need some help on the Windows 8 installation.
I have a spare Dell inspiron Laptop running on Windows 7 Ultimate,

I purchased Windows 8 online, and completed the download. It does all the installation and then comes up with a 0x000021a and goes back to the windows 7 version. Doing a bit of googling around I understand the download might not be correct. Has anyone faced a similar situation? I am now waiting for the media, which I understand would take 15 - 20 days !!
You have to reinstall it.
Can't you download it again?
If not, then instead of waiting, download it using torrent, and activate the way you would do.

Here is a reliable link:
http://kat.ph/windows-8-pro-retail-x...-t6772583.html

PS: this link is a solution and i do not promote piracy.

Last edited by k2max6 : 9th November 2012 at 19:27.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:15   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst reading about Steve Sinofsky, I came across this eye opening article. Must read. Sad to see MS go this way. Looks like top level leadership changes, including veterans, are becoming more common at tech companies. Is Ballmer next?

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2...-steve-ballmer
Old 15th November 2012, 09:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Whilst reading about Steve Sinofsky, I came across this eye opening article. Must read. Sad to see MS go this way. Looks like top level leadership changes, including veterans, are becoming more common at tech companies. Is Ballmer next?

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2...-steve-ballmer
The Vanity Fair article is quite old. At that time, Microsoft, right from Steve Ballmer to the last PR person came out strongly against it. That was quite unusual for a company, but typical of Ballmer. Microsoft claimed they have increased revenue, did office suite, surface & xbox in last decade. But the fact is they were caught napping in mobile space. Before 2008, probably only Microsoft had a decent, touch (though with stylus) smatphone OS. From that position, they lost to Apple & then to Android.

Most likely for Sinofsky's exit is his tiff with Ballmer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks