Recd this news on Win 8

Not sure how true it is

http://translate.google.de/translate...-windows-8-nsa
Old 30th August 2013, 09:38   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Windows 8 anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
8.1 will be launched not later this year but earlier. As per latest news, it should go RTM in the first fortnight of August 2013 (could be 16 Aug).
Public release date for the Windows 8.1 update is October 18, 12:00am on October 18th in New Zealand (that’s 4:00am October 17th in Redmond) to be precise.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/b...ndows-8-1.aspx
Old 30th August 2013, 09:57   #108
BANNED

8.1 is being shipped to OEMs only. October 18 is for developers and the MSDN. Presumably upgrades will also become available shortly thereafter.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:58   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Recd this news on Win 8

Not sure how true it is

http://translate.google.de/translate...-windows-8-nsa
In any case MS have you by the thick and curlies!
Old 31st August 2013, 13:22   #110
BHPian

I've a desktop with AMD quad-core CPU, running Windows 8. I'm facing a problem with USB Mass Storage Device since this morning. The machine does not recognize mass storage devices; pen drives, portable HDD and even iPod Classic (it does not sync because of this).

I uninstalled the USB Mass Storage Device, restarted the machine and Windows 8 installed the drivers. However, storage devices don't work. All other devices connected to USB work; mouse, printer, iPhone, etc. Any clues?

UPDATE:
I tried to shutdown the machine after posting this message. I was prompted to update and restart (I don't understand why Windows 8 does not h ave update and shutdown option). There were 6 updates. I chose this option and after restarting USB Mass Storage Devices are working! Huhhh, Microsoft you never stop to surprise us.

ANOTHER UPDATE:
I connected another device, after posting the update. This time it does not work
Attached Images

Last edited by sa_kiran : 31st August 2013 at 13:41.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I've a desktop with AMD quad-core CPU, running Windows 8. I'm facing a problem with USB Mass Storage Device since this morning. The machine does not recognize mass storage devices; pen drives, portable HDD and even iPod Classic (it does not sync because of this).
There might be an issue with that particular USB port. You can check this by connecting the USB mouse or some other peripheral to the port in question and check if it works properly.

Is the USB port in question built in to the motherboard or is it the one that are built into the cabinets?
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:36   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There might be an issue with that particular USB port. You can check this by connecting the USB mouse or some other peripheral to the port in question and check if it works properly.

Is the USB port in question built in to the motherboard or is it the one that are built into the cabinets?
The storage device was not working with any port. Whereas, other devices (mouse, iPhone) were working with those ports. All the USB ports are built into the motherboard.

I switched on the machine last night and mass storage devices were recognized!

Last edited by sa_kiran : 2nd September 2013 at 11:55.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:54   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I've a desktop with AMD quad-core CPU, running Windows 8. I'm facing a problem with USB Mass Storage Device since this morning. The mach.... the update. This time it does not work
I am saying goodbye to AMD platform due this issue. I am not sure whether this is AMD specific issue or ASUS motherboard specific issue.

I was staunch promoter of AMD platform among our friends. Mine two and other two CPUs from friends are having two common problems
1) USB ports are not working
2) PC restarts frequently and randomly.

All these four PCs are having AMD processors and Asus motherboards. When searched online I found lot many people are facing these issues. I tried everything right from black magic to heating motherboard with heat gun or getting it repaired but nothing seems to be working. All these four cases are having entry level configurations.

In our case ports died one by one, even internal ports. In your case all ports died at same time so it might be software issue. But I see less chances...
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:04   #114
BANNED

@sushantr; Can very likely be Asus. On my K53S I seem to be unable to install htc USB drivers. I even went to the extent of running 'regedit' and manually removing any mention of htc.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:43   #115
BHPian

I have Lenovo L530 + Win 8.
I have this wifi problem where when you connect to wifi, it stucks in "Identifying..." for the first time.
If I switch off wifi and reboot modem and reconnect, then its ok. It usually connects to Internet second or third time.
Sometimes it connects first time itself.
I confirmed that it is sure not modem issue. I do not have any issues with iPhone or another laptop with Win7 which are connecting it right first time.
But when I try to connect win8 machine first, it screws up the modem after which no other devices could connect to modem using wifi.
The problem is zeroed to Windows 8 for sure. I saw several reports of similar issue but with no solution working till now.

Did any of you face this issue? Any solution for this issue?
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:18   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I am saying goodbye to AMD platform due this issue. I am not sure whether this is AMD specific issue or ASUS motherboard specific issue.

I was staunch promoter of AMD platform among our friends. Mine two and other two CPUs from friends are having two common problems
1) USB ports are not working
2) PC restarts frequently and randomly.

All these four PCs are having AMD processors and Asus motherboards. When searched online I found lot many people are facing these issues. I tried everything right from black magic to heating motherboard with heat gun or getting it repaired but nothing seems to be working. All these four cases are having entry level configurations.

In our case ports died one by one, even internal ports. In your case all ports died at same time so it might be software issue. But I see less chances...
I am facing a similar issue as well. AMD CPU with MSI motherboard bought about 3 years ago. Intially used with XP, Win 7 and now running Win 8. Frequent reboots or BSODs. Sometimes DVD drive wouldn't work and when I rebuild the machine it would start working. Right now I have issues with Audio ports (XP and Win 8). I have a 2.1 woofer plugged into rear audio out. Realtek's driver keeps saying either I have unplugged a device or it has been plugged into microphone slot. Had sent the motherboard for service and they returned it back after a BIOS update.

This is my first AMD machine and experience has been frustrating.
Old 15th September 2013, 11:12   #117
BHPian

One lazy weekend, dint know what to do.. here by attaching couple of screenshots of TBHP app for Windows 8.

There a lots of things pending, completed only 1-2 things. Hence not creating a separate thread. Also I am not sure if someone else is working on similar app. Please let me know if someone is already working it.

Lots of things pending and facing few road blocks on retrieving data. Also not done active coding work from past 7-8 years, so you can image the pace at which I am working .

I could not see to many RSS feeds being exposed, finding is bit difficult to fetch data. Not sure how the application is designed for iOS and Android.

So far, I could see only below Feeds,
Team-BHP : News

From FAQ,
Quote:
How do I set up the RSS feeds?

Team-BHP has enabled RSS feeds which allows you to view newly created threads in the guest viewable forums without visiting the board. The feeds are currently provided in two formats, RSS and RSS v2. The differences are as follows:

•RSS 0.91 - This feed is based on a standard written by netscape and provides a link and the title of the thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/external.php?type=rss

•RSS 2.0 - This feed contains title, author, date and the contents of the first post of the thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2

To add this to MyYahoo click here.

The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another paramater to the URL containing the forum ids as follows:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/extern...2&forumids=123

If you would like the content to be generated for multiple forums, separate the forumids by commas.
Suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 8 anyone ?-1.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-2.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-3.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-4.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-5.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-6.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2013 at 11:08. Reason: As requested
Old 15th September 2013, 12:29   #118
BHPian

Apologize for the back-to-back post. Edit button is disabled. :(
[Mods: Request you to merge]

Had to remove last picture from previous post and adding couple of more screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 8 anyone ?-7.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-8.jpg  

Windows 8 anyone ?-9.jpg  

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 15th September 2013 at 12:34.
Old 15th September 2013, 23:07   #119
BHPian

looks good 500coutycruiser. you could also look at the windows news app for some inspiration. The Apps in windows 8 look like magazines. TBHP could use some of that magazine like quality.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
October 18 is for developers and the MSDN.
Microsoft changed their mind & released Win 8.1 on Sep 8th

Win8.1 is better than Win8. Win8.1 offers better migration from Win7 than Win8. For now, the only major problem with Win 8.1 is lack of apps in its store. There are 20 years of Wintel applications out there. While these run in 'desktop' mode, getting Win8++ apps will take some time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks