Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?

Hello,

I purchased the high end model of Danew MapMyIndia GPS for Rs. 17,000 exactly one year back. Then last month I got my first real smartphone - Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I used Google Maps on my phone couple of times and found it to be very accurate.

My questions is with Google Maps do I still need my MapMyIndia GPS device ? If not can I sell it and get some decent money for it ? I am thinking around Rs. 12,000 for a resale.

I am planning to go on a road trip from Pune-Kodaikanal-Coimbatore_Madurai-Pondicherry and am planning to use Google Maps.

Please advice.

Thanks.

golfdude
golfdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:41   #2
BHPian

re: Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
My questions is with Google Maps do I still need my MapMyIndia GPS device ? If not can I sell it and get some decent money for it ? I am thinking around Rs. 12,000 for a resale.
MapMyIndia (MMI) uses offline maps, you get driving directions without the need for an internet connections, unlike Google Maps. If you go to places without mobiles/data signals then you need MMI device. If your drives are in cities with adequate mobile/data signal, then you can do away with it.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:42   #3
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...s-etc-193.html

Are you assured of network connectivity everywhere along your trip? MMI would be a safer bet - its a dedicated device after all. Google Maps is great in urban areas, but I think MMI is better on the highways.

Try getting the Sygic app for your Note II - it also uses MMI maps.
Recompose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
MapMyIndia (MMI) uses offline maps, you get driving directions without the need for an internet connections, unlike Google Maps. If you go to places without mobiles/data signals then you need MMI device. If your drives are in cities with adequate mobile/data signal, then you can do away with it.
Thanks for pointing that out.

So on long drives there will be stretches where the cell phone signals will be weak or non-existant. Am I correct ?

When a cell phone signal is available, which one is more accurate ? MMI or Google Maps ? Is one better to use than the other ?

Thanks.

golfdude
Old 18th February 2013, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?

I use the MMI VX140s device, which has been a lifesaver both inside Delhi and on long drives. On the plus side, it offers navigation even in places where cellphone connectivity is non-existent. Damn useful for drives into remote locations. Secondly, the voice navigation is real and practical.

On the minus side, MMI will determine one route and stick you to it, regardless of the traffic conditions. Google Maps offers far greater flexibility in terms of alternative route options and shows traffic density on your planned route.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 14:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

So on long drives there will be stretches where the cell phone signals will be weak or non-existant. Am I correct ?

When a cell phone signal is available, which one is more accurate ? MMI or Google Maps ? Is one better to use than the other ?

Thanks.

golfdude
Yes, there will be stretches where the cell phone signals will be non existent. Both the maps should give the same accuracy, provided they are the latest maps. Else obviously the maps which are updated more recently will show the correct directions.

Also, the cell phone will tend to heat up a lot and the battery will drain quicker, hence if you are a regular user of the maps a dedicated device for the same would be a better plan
Old 18th February 2013, 14:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Also, the cell phone will tend to heat up a lot and the battery will drain quicker, hence if you are a regular user of the maps a dedicated device for the same would be a better plan
In the time of mobile chargers connected to cigarette lighter sockets, phones going out of charge is not really an option . We made a trip to Rishikesh and back in a friend's car this weekend. Google Maps on his Galaxy SIII was our sole navigation device through the entire trip.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 14:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I rely heavily on Google Maps (and Navigation at times). I love exploring newer routes, even when i know the regular route is the best one. On my last year's drive to Ladakh, i downloaded the whole area map as offline, so even without Mobile Network my phone helped us several times with GPS.

But, it still is not a proper replacement to GPS devices on long drives to remote and unknown areas. I just bought a Mahindra XUV 500, it came fitted with Map my India, i now expect to use it as primary device for navigation, lets see how good it is.
Old 18th February 2013, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
In the time of mobile chargers connected to cigarette lighter sockets, phones going out of charge is not really an option . We made a trip to Rishikesh and back in a friend's car this weekend. Google Maps on his Galaxy SIII was our sole navigation device through the entire trip.
That is true. Though I find that my phone heats up and I do not know if that is good for the long term health of the phone . I have an SIII too by the way.
Old 18th February 2013, 14:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

The only problem with Google maps is
1.constant need of data connection if you need navigation
2. Number of maps cached offline is limited. So you cannot cache the whole country

that said, selling GPS maps and software is not a viable business proposition anymore
1. Most parts of the country have mobile network. So you will always get internet connection, and hence navigation
2. Free databases like OSM are growing at a rate faster than new roads are being created. Its only a matter of time when a free OSM based solution like ZaNavi, OSMand are all you need.
Infact, in Europe, the state of mapping is so good that you do not need a commercial app for most purposes.

If google allows country caching, and offline navigation, that will be "THE END" for Mapmyindia and the like. All you will need then is a simple phone mount.

While navigating in city, since there is mobile network, and I can cache the entire NCR region on my phone, I never need to use a dedicated GPS like mapmyindia.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:08   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If google allows country caching, and offline navigation, that will be "THE END" for Mapmyindia and the like. All you will need then is a simple phone mount.
Agreed. However, Google will IMO never enable the offline navigation, since, they want to promote online services. Also, the traffic updates is part of the navigation, which needs online connectivity.

I have bought Sygic with India maps. Does the job very well for me. In fact, I don't use google maps at all for navigation purpose. I use it for cross verification.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:18   #12
Mik
BHPian

Based on my experience with Garmin and google maps simultaneously in US and in India
1. Google is better with routes, specially in NCR.
2. On highways, specially in the US where you need to plan for exits - the garmin owned the google maps on phone. The phone was too slow. This happened twice, on different high end phones.
3. In sparsely populated regions, the GPS device is a boon.
Old 18th February 2013, 16:08   #13
BHPian

Having now extensively used both MMI on my XUV and Google Navigation on my S3, I feel that Google still gets a lot of POI completely wrong, where MMI is trump. MMI only lets me down at certain new POI additions, or new roads such as Yamuna Expressway, which requires me to take the update subscription from MMI, to update my unit.

OT: Any ideas, if M&M takes care of the update in the service, or you have to buy the update subscription?
Old 18th February 2013, 16:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Google maps does makes MMI, etc obsolete. The reason, free of cost and does a very precise job at it. A small note on how Gmap changed the way of travelling for me.

Earlier navigation was a paid service which mean't no one wanted it. Later came the Google Maps which was available for free but catch was data connection.

My first use of Gmap was in June'11 on Nokia E71 during a visit to Srinagar & other tourist areas around it. Since the cab we hired, the driver didn't knew much, so GMap was the only help with regular directions help from people on road. But none the less GMap did a fab job and we could navigate to all the places without much problem.

Later started using GMap with Nokia E72 coupled with 3G network and maps are downloaded with GPS lock in an instant. Explored Ganpatiphule, Aurangabad, Ajanta & Ellora without even asking anyone for directions and GMap did a perfect work at it.

Now with Galaxy Note 2, Android 4.0 and 3G, its all to a whole new level. Automated rerouting, voice on navigation, easier to use(Touchscreen). Did a recent visit to Bhimashankar and Gmap was again at it, no directions asked whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Absolutely spot on, but even if it happened it won't be worth it since with mobile communications reaching a whole new level with everyone online, no one would like to download GB's of data onto their mobile which remains static. With network data connection you always have the latest map on your device with no memory space taken other than caching of data files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
However, Google will IMO never enable the offline navigation, since, they want to promote online services. Also, the traffic updates is part of the navigation, which needs online connectivity.
You never know, Google always surprises. Earlier navigation wasn't free, now it is thanks to Google. Currently GMap allow to cache data for a particular location, later they may allow complete offline may too. But as I explained earlier, no ones got time to download GB's of data which remains static. Online navigation is the way to go.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 18th February 2013 at 16:11.
Old 18th February 2013, 17:28   #15
BHPian

Thanks.

To summarize, it is good to keep both MMI and Google Maps specially on long drives. Am I correct ?

golfdude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks