Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 16:09   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Sygic India GPS Navigation

So, this morning, I got to see an update from Sygic for my Android phone.
After this update, I am now at version 14.6.7. The UI is completely revamped and perhaps in line with Google's material design (or maybe I am just crazy)

There was no map downloaded again. A few days ago, when I updated Sygic, I had to download 720 MB of a single map for all India). So, unlike the MMI maps which were per state, the new TomTom maps are not broken per state.
There are new apps/ add-ons like Blackbox which are quite interesting. Of course, they are at extra cost.

Edit: Map has lot of typos - seriously, I doubt if this thing will take you anywhere. E.g. EON IT park is mentioned as ION IT park.

Last edited by S_U_N : 6th November 2014 at 16:14.
Old 15th November 2014, 18:21   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
So, this morning, I got to see an update from Sygic for my Android phone.
After this update, I am now at version 14.6.7. The UI is completely revamped and perhaps in line with Google's material design (or maybe I am just crazy)

There was no map downloaded again. A few days ago, when I updated Sygic, I had to download 720 MB of a single map for all India). So, unlike the MMI maps which were per state, the new TomTom maps are not broken per state.
There are new apps/ add-ons like Blackbox which are quite interesting. Of course, they are at extra cost.

Edit: Map has lot of typos - seriously, I doubt if this thing will take you anywhere. E.g. EON IT park is mentioned as ION IT park.
Hi, are you referring to the free Version? I had the previous one; use it on my nexus 7 and this device is primarily used for navigation on our long drives and dont connect to the wifi often. Today thought of updating the app in view of an upcoming roadtrip (should have checked out this thread first!)

The app got stuck in the maps section so downloaded all states thinking that to be the solution but the old app just remained stuck in that page. Uninstalled and reinstalled the new free version which requires one to download the entire country map and not per state. There was a caption mentioning free trial for 7 days, how much does one need to pay after 7 days? Or does the free edition continue with limited functionality?

Stopped the download as just 7 days wont make sense for me. Any other suggestions for offline navigation if the free sygic app is available for 7 days alone.
Old 17th November 2014, 18:51   #198
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if I can answer that, since I have a paid version.
It is interesting that on my second mobile, after I got the update, I got to download state-wise maps as well (the full country map was already downloaded last week).
Now, I am not sure which maps are going to be used (or perhaps both are the same in terms of content)? Sygic is confusing us quite consistently.
Old 19th November 2014, 09:32   #199
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Any other suggestions for offline navigation if the free sygic app is available for 7 days alone.
You can try Nokia HERE beta. Completely free as of now. http://here.com/beta/android/?lang=en-US
Old 19th November 2014, 11:42   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
You can try Nokia HERE beta. Completely free as of now. http://here.com/beta/android/?lang=en-US

Thanks for the update. bud. Downloaded and looks good for now. Will be try or navigating around with this app but, I surely prefer the UI of the Sygic (which is now stuck in the 'Download maps' screen)

Last edited by MetalBuff : 19th November 2014 at 11:44.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:05   #201
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have Nokia HERE, Sygic, Waze and Google Map installed. But use only google map in city because of their live traffic information, which pretty much helps. Yet to compare Sygic and HERE maps.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:52   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Will be try or navigating around with this app but, I surely prefer the UI of the Sygic (which is now stuck in the 'Download maps' screen)
Yes, Update of App breaks App itself. May be this is intended behaviour. However it works cleanly on Mobile! So What I did was update app in Mobile (I have Nexus S). Copied App & /sdcard/sygic_mmi folder to Nexus 10 tab. I have rooted both devices (so this process was easier). Now I can also use Sygic on Nexus 10! .
Old 19th November 2014, 15:14   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

I approach software updates with trepidation. I have no idea why people are so keen to go for latest versions of everything!

Anyway, I approached this one with a backup of the Sygic directory on the SD-card. I already had two Sygic directories, as, previously, Sygic-India maps were not compatible with Sygic-rest-of-world maps and loading one would break the other. Renaming directories was be a quick fix.

By the way, I have paid Sygic, with India and the group of countries that includes Singapore. My device is a Motorola Defy+, so a phone with a relatively small screen. Well, bigger than some, perhaps, but smaller than many.

The whole of India is now one map, yes. Maybe the new mapping format is more compact? It's still a hefty download, though. I would think it is not very welcome to those without SD-Card storage.

I have not yet used it for navigation, and have only started it up for a look two or three times, just a few minutes each.

1. I can now use India and Singapore maps. The compatibility problem is gone. Hooray!

2. The sea is blue. Hooray! This might seem like a small thing, but the previous version's nothing-here-black-void pattern was ugly and annoying. It matters, when one lives in a coastal city!

3. Too much clutter on the screen. Why even bother with zoom buttons when this software is made for touch device? At least scale them waaay down for a smaller screen. HOT NEWS... I found the option not to display the zoom control buttons: this is a big improvement!

3. Map browsing is harder. zoom out and only major roads are visible, zoom in far enough and everything becomes visible.

That's it for now. Even during this post I found out stuff, so I guess there will be pros and cons to be discovered. I don't know when I'm next visiting an unknown place, so no idea when I'll be using navigation for real.

The map-compatibility thing is probably the biggest news. Maybe I'll make an impulse buy in one of those Sygic Sales... my mother country, or perhaps even whole world. Before this, I didn't even consider it.

I intend to get a 7-inch tablet soon. It will be interesting to see Sygic on that

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th November 2014 at 15:17.
Old 19th November 2014, 17:02   #204
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the add-ons - blackbox and HUD?

I have asked Sygic how can I try before buying.
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:13   #205
BHPian

Sygic GPS Navigation headed to Windows Phone in early 2015

Sygic India GPS Navigation-sygic.jpg

"Windows Phone has arguably some of the best navigation choices around, especially with the free HERE Maps and Drive apps available for all users. Still, many people have their preferred navigation app for a variety of reasons like specific features or even design. This is why we are excited to announce that Sygic GPS Navigation is coming to Windows Phone users early next year."

Read Complete Story HERE
Old 4th December 2014, 01:55   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I intend to get a 7-inch tablet soon. It will be interesting to see Sygic on that

~
It is very interesting. Now have the tablet, and celebrated by buying myself a Sygic World licence. The world now includes India! it is not a completely separate product any longer.
Old 19th April 2015, 14:04   #207
BHPian

Quote:
It is very interesting. Now have the tablet, and celebrated by buying myself a Sygic World licence. The world now includes India! it is not a completely separate product any longer.
Hello Thad,

Does your Sygic work when you are offline?

Mine does not. I wonder why.

Thanks.
Old 19th April 2015, 17:01   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it does, except sometimes when it wants to do some sort of update and then tries to download ...which of course it can't. Even attempting to do an update when there is no net is a bad fault.

But, if it did not work offline, I would just use google maps. I prefer their maps and their presentation. Offline is my only reason for having paid money to Sygic.
Old 20th April 2015, 00:02   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it does, except sometimes when it wants to do some sort of update and then tries to download ...which of course it can't. Even attempting to do an update when there is no net is a bad fault.
Yes thats what I have also seen, it needs an update and won't start until the download is complete and update installed. So if you don't have net connection, you are stuck. Bad design I say.

Now, I just make it a point to fire it up a day before any long drive and make sure all updates are done. After that, it is completely offline.
Old 20th April 2015, 03:13   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a good idea, and I've tried, and failed to remember to do the same. Preparing for a journey on unknown roads, it would be the tablet, and I would have planning it, locating the destination, choosing the route. The tablet would be fired up and ready to go.

The nuisance comes when I just happen to have got lost, and want to take the phone out of my pocket and get quickly unlost again. And that's when it seems to want to do it's download.

It's like when you go into the boss's office, and he spends four or five minutes looking at the paper in front of him, not because it is any more important than you are, but because he wants to rub it in that he is!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks