Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 20:34   #151
BHPian

re: Sygic India GPS Navigation

Now Released: Completely redesigned Sygic GPS Navigation

Sygic India GPS Navigation-sygic.jpg

Coming soon for iPhone & Android as a free update. If you’re an existing iPhone or Android user the new app will be delivered to you as an update. Some of our iOS apps have already received this update and further updates for both iOS and Android will be released in the second half of 2014.

Sygic Facebook update

"We are very happy to introduce you next generation of Sygic GPS Navigation with new native design now available exclusively for iPhone. Update for Android users will be released in the second half of this year. The new native application, the result of three years’ worth of work, was completely remade from the ground up. More info on our page: http://www.sygic.com/static/nui/

Available on App Store here: http://bit.ly/1l50YXD"
Old 21st June 2014, 21:56   #152
BHPian

Has anyone (recently) actually used the latest version to navigate to various places and test it out for accuracy and reliability?

What are your findings on the quality of directions, the accuracy of distances to the next turn, the speaking of street names, the veracity of Sygic's claim that it will work even without a cellular connection?

Thanks and cheers
Old 24th June 2014, 14:35   #153
Senior - BHPian

Problem in saving a Favourite Location with desired name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
...Now I installed Sygic 13.1.5 on MMX Canvas Magnus A117 which has Android 4.2.1.
Now I am facing a problem with Renaming of Favourite Destination (POI).
If I want to save a location as Favourite in MMX, I have to save with the name suggested by the Sygic. I cannot change the name of that location- Neither while saving the location or afterwards renaming.
What to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore
It's an issue with the app. Re-installing it won't fix the problem. Even I too observed this issue few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
But it was working fine on Xperia x10 that had Android 2.3.3.
Then why is not supporting MMX A117 thats running 4.2.1.:banghead:

OTOH I have submitted a request to Sygic about this issue through inbuilt Contact Support.
I received an email from them confirming the receipt of my request.
Lets see what Sygic comes out on this.
Sorry for late update as I was buried in work load.
I received an email from Sygic stating to Turn Off the Native Keyboard in Menu>Settings>Regional>Keyboard Layout- Turn Off Use Native Keyboard.

After unchecking the Use Native Keyboard, I can change/rename the names of Favourites while/after adding them to the list.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:12   #154
BHPian

Current Sygic, has no India state specific maps. Just one map of 722MB .

I had installed Sygic India which was free in my xperia and tried to export it in my new phone, but facing errors. Hence had to install the normal current version which has navigation free only for 7 days .
Old 27th June 2014, 18:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper
Current Sygic, has no India state specific maps. Just one map of 722MB .

I had installed Sygic India which was free in my xperia and tried to export it in my new phone, but facing errors. Hence had to install the normal current version which has navigation free only for 7 days .
If you can live with older version, you can download it from the link given by Sun at Post No.135 of this thread.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:55   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Has anyone (recently) actually used the latest version to navigate to various places and test it out for accuracy and reliability?What are your findings on the quality of directions, the accuracy of distances to the next turn, the speaking of street names, the veracity of Sygic's claim that it will work even without a cellular connection?
The latest update from sygic now has a clean and simple interface. ( My first time using it ) The navigation services ( 7 day trial ) work seamlessly. All the turn by turn navigation, speed limits and lane changing instructions are shown perfectly. All the street names are read out, also the speed limit warning work perfectly. I checked this using the boards put up on highways and there only a 5% deviation. However this app isn't reliable. The re-routing fails to deliver and even a slight deviation from the navigating route and app loses its course.

A lot of bugs in the new update, may be sygic is coming out with a fix soon. Till then i would not use this app for navigating to a new place via a unknown route. Few screen shots in this link, the speed warning and lane changing alerts are really cool.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 27th June 2014 at 18:59.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:20   #157
BHPian

Amarendranath, thank you. Considering that I am new to Bangalore, and considering what you said about even slight deviations causing the app to throw up a hissy fit, I guess it is advisable for me to stay away from Sygic for the foreseeable future.

The way Bangalore roads are, sometimes being narrow and placed close together, it is very easy to miss a turn; or even be in the wrong lane at a traffic light and be unable to make a turn. I need a routing system that recalculates quickly and gets me to where I need to go.

Thanks again and cheers

NOTE TO MODS: My apologies if I am contravening forum rules - there was no "Thanks" button here, so I had to make a post.

Last edited by tilt : 28th June 2014 at 11:22.
Old 28th June 2014, 14:46   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
A lot of bugs in the new update...
I can confirm this. The routes suggested are just ridiculous!

The maps themselves are updated, but better to use the older version till the next update when travelling in unknown parts.
Old 1st July 2014, 06:53   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

MMI has advertised it's own NaviMaps. Some features available only next 2 days
Old 1st July 2014, 16:14   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

First impression - MMI's Navimaps is better & cleaner than Sygic. As advertised, was able to get navigation without GPRS.

Only downside - my Xperia is a battery hog.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:14   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... MMI's Navimaps is better & cleaner than Sygic ...
Sir, what are the salient differences? I think you have used Sygic heavily earlier. The map data is the same, the only visible difference seems to be the UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... As advertised, was able to get navigation without GPRS. ...
So, what is new? All 'PND's and stored-map Apps do! Gimmicky statement meant for newbies, is what it is. They are referring to 'no map download online via cell radio data while navigating' (like Google etc.), and not 'navigating without GPS data'.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:14   #162
BHPian

Please help me here in understanding the current state of these GPS apps. I have been a user of Sygic on iOS since iPhone 3g was launched (2007?). Right now, I have moved to Android on Nexus 7.

A week back, I saw that Sygic mysteriously deleted my license, and it said no valid license found for India and I had to delete all the maps. I found some other Sygic in Play store and I had to install 722MB of India maps.

My question is, is this free? Are these MapMyIndia maps? If free, why is this free? If payware, then how to buy this? Should I buy this or should I buy TomTom? Which is the best offline navigational app for Android?

I had the misfortune of buying NaviMaps from MapMyIndia and all I can tell is the software is not even in alpha stage. MMI has done a great disservice by releasing this zero-baked app to real world, and getting paid on the top of this. The app is absolutely disgusting when compared to Sygic. Couldnt they have copied the most basic things? Enough of rant, but please stay away from this app.
Old 10th July 2014, 11:31   #163
BHPian

While I await for some answers to my queries above, just wanted to let you know that I have started using NaviMaps and Sygic both on a daily basis to understand their behaviours.

My preliminary impression (over last 7 days) is that Sygic is not mated to good maps, and Navimaps is not mated good routing. I think Sygic-MapMyIndia is the right combination.

Both their routings are atrocious at best. NaviMaps cant hold a GPS signal at slow speeds and behaves erratically. God save someone who plan to depend on the routings provided by these two apps. Unless we are in the know, and unless we have entirely visualized the route and programmed it, these programs are essentially worthless.

I just wonder why is that we have to regress in these fashion, after all these years. Software is supposed to improve over a period of time. NaviMaps UI is unforgivable. I rate it at 1 out of 10. They have flouted all UI conventions and its utterly non-intuitive and non-functional.
Old 12th July 2014, 09:50   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
A week back, I saw that Sygic mysteriously deleted my license........ My question is, is this free? Are these MapMyIndia maps? If free, why is this free? If payware, then how to buy this? Should I buy this or should I buy TomTom? Which is the best offline navigational app for Android? ............ I had the misfortune of buying NaviMaps from MapMyIndia and all I can tell is the software is not even in alpha stage.
I personally prefer Sygic over MMI for the Navigation app. Like you said, Sygic-MMI combo was awesome. Unfortunately, the partnership broke down and they haven't released any map update since 11-2012. In September 2013, Sygic started offering their Navigation App free for Indian users mainly to curb the declining demand.

Sygic premium navigation is not free anymore. I have bought my Sygic from their official website sometime back. From version 14.x.x, Sygic have tied up with TomTom for India maps. If you have purchased the Sygic with lifetime free updates, then the restoration of the license may not be difficult. Alternatively, you can contact the support team. They are very active and generally replies your queries immediately.

About the reliability of the TomTom maps, I have not tested it personally. It's considered to be "good" though my personal choice would be MMI for map database. Because of this reason, I bought a second hand MMI PND (RoadSatr II) and updated the maps to 9.0. I spent a total of 3990/- (3000+990) on this account which I feel is a good deal.

As far as NaviMaps is concerned, you are absolutely right. At this stage, it's not worth the money.
Old 12th July 2014, 19:10   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
I personally prefer Sygic over MMI for the Navigation app. Like you said, Sygic-MMI combo was awesome. ..

Sygic premium navigation is not free anymore...

About the reliability of the TomTom maps...Because of this reason, I bought a second hand MMI PND (RoadSatr II)

As far as NaviMaps is concerned, you are absolutely right. At this stage, it's not worth the money.
iVento, thanks for your response and insights. Not sure why the 'Thanks' button is missing, but you can count +1.

I agree with your observations and I liked the way how you got around the limitations (buying a PND). It seems like a logical and a right thing to do. I will follow you on this.

TomTom maps are good, but they are still a long way from MMI maps. At this point, its clear that MMI have lost their way (pun intended). They need to retrospect and start things afresh on Android front.

Coming to the Sygic navigation premium, my maps are fully active and it says my India license is valid. I had previously bought the HUD in-app thing from Sygic, and may be they have counted it towards my mapping license. Looks like its a bug, and this will cost them dearly. I was wondering why Sygic would mate with India TomTom for free, while TomTom (what kind of a name is this?) itself is charging INR 2050 in Google Play Store.

In summary, sadly, we have been thrown back by 10 years. Now, it takes time for these apps to mature and we have to suffer till then, though people are ready to purchase these paywares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks