Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2017, 09:00   #226
BHPian

Re: Sygic India GPS Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No problem: you just made an up-to-date contribution! Tell us more.

I'm afraid that, even though I have owned a whole-world licence for some time, I don't even have it installed these days.

I wonder... Is Sygic really worth it, compared to Google Maps? And if so, why?
Google maps need internet to be fully functional.

One might need a backup sometimes in low signal areas.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:46   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
Google Maps allows you to download areas on your phone / tab and you can then use Google Maps offline. This has been around for quite some time. Also the rate of refreshes on Google maps is quicker than Sygic. I used Sygic for an year or so and then moved to Here maps. Between Here and Google Maps I use both of them 50 - 50.
Old 19th April 2017, 13:24   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
This is partially true, subject to the comment by GJ01. Off line maps are perfectly possible in Google Maps, if previously downloaded.

Other services such as live traffic conditions (or live anything, local searching, etc) are going to need mobile data for any map/navigation software. And anything paid is going to need a big advantage over free google. Such advantages might be in a user interface/display that is really suitable for driving and simple for in-the-car use. If Google has a disadvantage, it is that it was not designed for this purpose --- but it actually works pretty well anyway.

Do Sygic users consider that Sygic has a real edge for driving use?
Old 20th April 2017, 22:53   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No problem: you just made an up-to-date contribution! Tell us more.

I'm afraid that, even though I have owned a whole-world licence for some time, I don't even have it installed these days.

I wonder... Is Sygic really worth it, compared to Google Maps? And if so, why?
Well let me be honest.

I am very used to Google days since its early days as it evolved and it has grown on me too much. The traffic feature, it's look and feel etc.

What prompted me to buy Sygic was that its the alternative to Google maps and allows me to have complete offline maps.

I've used it for commuting even when I don't need a map to get used to it and i find it rather up to date.. Especially it warns me around turns and displays a speed limit based on some logic.

The display is new and also pretty refreshing thanks to its 3D interface.

I've had my share of bad experiences and rides with Google maps thanks to some logic which will push you through rough terrain. Its failed on me worst when I run out of internet connectivity during inter city travels.

I am yet to fully explore sygic and test its metal compare to my experience with Google maps.

Hence at this time i quite like it but would still alternate between the two to check for the accuracy and efficacy of the sygic engine especially for India.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards
Old 21st April 2017, 00:42   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyboo View Post
I am yet to fully explore sygic and test its metal compare to my experience with Google maps.
Thank you. I don't know how big the audience for this thread is these days, but do go on posting your experience! Even if it is going back to Google --- or something else
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:07   #231

I've been using the maps extensively on some known routes as well as where I genuinely needed a map. Alongside i also had google maps on.

Plus side of Google is that traffic information is more up to date. Not surprised considering everyone has an Android phone.

The Sygic navigation was neck to neck on most turns, however when i saw differences, it was more to do with alternate routes when both could be used.

The HUD feature really has me kicked, however the local hindi voice was really blabbering too much which forced me to shut it up.

All in all a good investment as I see it.
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:21   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyboo View Post
All in all a good investment as I see it.
How much did you buy for and which pack? Asia premium navigation or Asia premium navigation pack?
Old 10th July 2017, 17:29   #233
BHPian

I use both the google maps and Sygic.

Google maps is useful for in-city drives for traffic updates and shorter route options as most have listed.

Sygic is really good for inter-city navigation, I appreciate the 'sharp turn' audio alert feature the most. Find it very handy especially when driving on ghat sections, know when to reduce speed and when to desist from overtaking.
Still using the free features, do try the HUD display at night, works great.
Old 16th July 2017, 11:32   #234
BHPian

The licenses are on sale, if anybody is interested in grabbing those. The voice navigation was earlier free, but it appears that it now is a premium feature. Given that Sygic is giving me a personalised offer to buy the world lifetime for the price of asia lifetime, I will most probably be buying it.
Old 12th August 2017, 23:15   #235
BHPian

Sygic incorporates augmented reality into GPS navigation app.

Advanced GPS navigation app Sygic has released its new augmented reality (AR) feature.

Sygic’s new AR feature uses a smartphone’s GPS and camera to implement its augmented reality-powered GPS navigation system. With the AR feature, the driver no longer needs to follow a map on their phone. Instead, they’re guided by a virtual path on the smartphone camera preview.

Sygic Official Blog

GPS World

Old 22nd October 2018, 00:31   #236
BHPian

I just had a quick question. Is there a difference between Sygic India maps and Navimaps by MapmyIndia https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.mmi.navimaps? Considering that mapmyindia was powered by Sygic, both should be the same right?

Last edited by oli.ferns : 22nd October 2018 at 00:32.

Most Viewed