Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 11:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Sygic India GPS Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
2. Typical unthinking UI:
In terms of UI, most navigation "Apps" are nowhere close to Garmin units. Unfortunately, that includes Garmin's own App for Android/iPhone.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:05   #32
BHPian

I'll pass on this, thanks. I checked the permissions the app wants:

Quote:
Your location
precise location (GPS and network-based)
approximate location (network-based)

Network communication
view network connections
full network access
view Wi-Fi connections
connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
receive data from Internet
Google Play license check

Phone calls
read phone status and identity
directly call phone numbers

Storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

System tools
access extra location provider commands
install shortcuts
test access to protected storage

Camera
take pictures and videos

Your social information
read your contacts

Development tools
read sensitive log data

Affects Battery
control vibration
prevent device from sleeping

Audio Settings
change your audio settings
Some of these are necessary for the app to perform its designated function.

But why:
take pics & videos
read contacts (the big one)

Google Maps wants to update as well, and is asking for the same permissions. I haven't updated so far, and will see where this goes. My privacy is more important to me than the convenience of offline maps or a newer version of Google Maps.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
But why:
take pics & videos
read contacts (the big one)
These are quire useful while on road. E.g. you can search for Hotels and call them from GPS App itself.

Similarly, from contact's address; App can help navigate directly to contact's Home/Work location.
Old 29th September 2013, 13:36   #34
BHPian

Thanks. I'm quite aware of why (my question was more rhetorical; sorry if I didn't make myself clear), but you give up so much privacy for a little bit of convenience. The equation does not work for me. To each his own!
Old 29th September 2013, 16:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
you give up so much privacy for a little bit of convenience. The equation does not work for me.
That is an issue. User must have a say and be able to deny access to these specific data (E.g. contacts). Unfortunately, Android does not have this capability.
Old 30th September 2013, 01:00   #36
BHPian

Used this for the recent Team-BHP Delhi/ NCR meet and it worked flawlessly. Had to download the app and the delhi map. The device that I used it on is a HTC One V.
Old 30th September 2013, 20:58   #37
BHPian

Im really happy discovering this thread. I'll tell you why: (slight OT)

Have planned a road-trip to Kutch this Nov and have read in forums to be careful in desert tracks, better if you have a gps recorder. Now, I dont have a dedicated gps, just my Nokia E6 with Nokia maps. Just today one of friend suggested me to buy Sygic India maps on my wife's android phone. As per him it was sub-500 a while back, which I didnt mind trying. The moment I searched Google Play for Sygic India, I couldnt find the price tag! My next search on TBHP resulted to this thread. wow ! In a day or two, will install on wife's phone.

Now, I have a question: will this application help to record my tracks, so that if I lose my way ahead, atleast it can bring me back to my trail ? thnx.
Old 30th September 2013, 21:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Now, I have a question: will this application help to record my tracks, so that if I lose my way ahead, atleast it can bring me back to my trail ? thnx.
Navigation will only show you the route you should take based on map data they have.

Try My Tracks, hope it helps coming back to safety.
Waze has an option to Pave Path when you drive on an unmarked route (blank space )

But, I believe both systems will need data connectivity on the phone. Do try beforehand. Go around with mobile data turned on then switch off midway to test.

NOTE: GPS on phone drains the battery very fast. A GPS + 3G connection with it will be a killer combination. So you must carry a car charger along for the mobile. All these together will cause much heat for the phone, specially in Kutch day time, so have a phone holder fixed on an A/C vent or an A/C vent air blowing towards the phone.

Whatever said, the phone can never be as good as a GPS device, which has the sole objective to navigate. The GPS locking will be faster than a phone and accuracy will be better. If you are in an adventure mood, buy a good GPS navigator.

GPS of phone is good for general use only. It assumes that you have a network/data connection in place. Even a mild cloudy weather can set the GPS accuracy off track. It is more to do with the phones hardware than the software. On Google Navigation, I have seen streams and walking path show as drivable roads.

Last edited by HillMan : 30th September 2013 at 21:39.
Old 30th September 2013, 21:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Navigation will only show you the route you should take based on map data they have.

Try My Tracks, hope it helps coming back to safety.
thanks for the quick response. will try MyTracks app. but some of these areas are barely connected with mobile, forget the data. And currently no plan to buy dedicated gps!
Old 30th September 2013, 21:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
thanks for the quick response. will try MyTracks app. but some of these areas are barely connected with mobile, forget the data. And currently no plan to buy dedicated gps!
If you drive on known routes, you should be ok. Known routes, as in, known to the GPS Navigator. Waze and Sygic have offline capabilities. Google Map can save tiles of satellite image for offline use, but no navigation.
Test them out and get familiarized with their strengths and weakness before you start your quest and create travelogue with lots of pictures
Old 1st October 2013, 18:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
GPS is a heavy drain on the battery though, and even a car charger can't keep up over longer duration of usage.
Quote:
NOTE: GPS on phone drains the battery very fast. A GPS + 3G connection with it will be a killer combination. So you must carry a car charger along for the mobile. All these together will cause much heat for the phone, specially in Kutch day time, so have a phone holder fixed on an A/C vent or an A/C vent air blowing towards the phone.
The heating part, very much I agree - however, this is due to the fact that the charger is connected and running.

The primary device that takes up most of the juice is still the display and NOT the GPS or data connection.

Just to prove the point (neither fun nor useful otherwise):
You can check that out by just turning the display off and continue to listen to the voice guidance. The charging will be lot faster if you do that (actually proceeds forward in some cases instead of slowing down the drain)!

Well, little bit of usefulness in doing that comes when you hit a solid / known stretch and don't need to keep looking at the display till you reach a particular point. Helps a lot especially when your phone is ticking on that last bit of (single digit %) energy.

Quote:
Whatever said, the phone can never be as good as a GPS device, which has the sole objective to navigate. The GPS locking will be faster than a phone and accuracy will be better. If you are in an adventure mood, buy a good GPS navigator.
100%
Old 1st October 2013, 18:10   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
The heating part, very much I agree - however, this is due to the fact that the charger is connected and running.

The primary device that takes up most of the juice is still the display and NOT the GPS or data connection.

Just to prove the point (neither fun nor useful otherwise):
You can check that out by just turning the display off and continue to listen to the voice guidance. The charging will be lot faster if you do that (actually proceeds forward in some cases instead of slowing down the drain)!

Well, little bit of usefulness in doing that comes when you hit a solid / known stretch and don't need to keep looking at the display till you reach a particular point. Helps a lot especially when your phone is ticking on that last bit of (single digit %) energy.

100%

Agree with you about the display part, but GPS without display kinda beats the purpose, don't you think?

I never use the voice-guided navigation, it just annoys me no end
Old 1st October 2013, 18:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post

I agree on the point that the display is the most power hungry of all. Then whats the fun of having GPS when the display is turned off

But the GPS software itself is constantly updating its status and the CPU is performing its best to render the required graphics. All taking its toll on the battery.
On a side note; While driving long distance I suggest keeping phone in GPRS only mode, so it is not hunting for 3G. GRPS is usually available every where, 3G is not.

Found this article from Waze, worth a read;
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Usage

Last edited by HillMan : 1st October 2013 at 18:28.
Old 1st October 2013, 20:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
But the GPS software itself is constantly updating its status and the CPU is performing its best to render the required graphics. All taking its toll on the battery.
Another way to increase the battery life is by using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver with the smartphone.

Heard this will increase the accuracy. Also, the dedicated receiver will lock on to the Satellite quiet fast.

It seems this is ideal for geocaching and similar applications.

Personally, I have not tried this.
Old 1st October 2013, 22:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Another way to increase the battery life is by using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver with the smartphone.

Heard this will increase the accuracy. Also, the dedicated receiver will lock on to the Satellite quiet fast.
Thats a good alternative for using a dedicated navigation system.

Go for a branded receiver like Tom Tom who are pioneers in GPS hardware.

Car charger is a must anyway for extended use, because 40% battery usage is from display

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks