Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 08:15   #76
BHPian

I used to use a software called gnucash a few years ago. This can import statements etc and show up some graphs - very good but takes time to understand. It's freeware and available for both windows and Linux. Anyone from an accounting background would understand the interface much better.
Old 31st October 2013, 14:52   #77
BHPian

Online expense sharing tool

All of us at some point or the other have been involved in group activities with friends, roommates, family that required multiple people paying and then reconciling the expenses.

I have been part of them too and have had the privilege of experiencing excel hell while reconciling all the details and summarizing for the group. And expenses are always a touchy area,

Recently i came across Short Reckonings, a web based tool that i felt made life easier while reconciling and keeping it transparent to everyone. It can be updated offline too! How i wish i has found this earlier.

www.shortreckonings.com/‎
Mobile Version m.shortreckonings.com

Best part is that everyone who's made an expense or has been paid for by someone else can update/look at it . You dont have to rely on one accountant.

All it requires is for someone to create an entry and share the link with the group.

Ex. Mr. A who has payed for the lunch for MR B, MR C will update the tool.
MR B and Mr C will update their inputs. The tool will calculate who owes who how much for each expense or as a summary.

Try it out.

Mods:If there is an existing thread on this topic, request you to merge it with it.
Old 31st October 2013, 15:24   #78
BHPian

Re: Online expense sharing tool

Please see the below picture to get a feel of how the summaries look.

added a preview picture for the tool from the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Accounting (Credit /Debit) Software needed-shortreckonings-preview.jpg  

Old 31st October 2013, 15:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Haha. We have one such guy in our group who is extremely good at doing all this "hisaab kitaab"

However, for those who are not that lucky to have such a person in their group, there are plenty of sites available now. One of my friends says they used billmonk.com (now its billpin.com) when he was in college.

When I was in college, we used those archaic tools called pen and paper. Here is what they looked like!!
Accounting (Credit /Debit) Software needed-pen_paper.jpg
Old 31st October 2013, 15:54   #80
BHPian

I used buxfer and it was quite good
Old 31st October 2013, 16:13   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

When I was in college, we used those archaic tools called pen and paper. Here is what they looked like!!
Attachment 1160558

ROFL !! Thatz a good one.

I still use it. That way, lets me ensure that my mathematical skills are intact (by not using a calculator).

Last edited by deadguy25 : 31st October 2013 at 16:17.
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:41   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I used buxfer and it was quite good
+1 to this. buxfer free version should be good enough for most of us.

https://www.buxfer.com/

Available Features : Unlimited Transactions, Split Bills and IOUs

Last edited by rejeen : 2nd November 2013 at 15:43.
Old 28th December 2015, 14:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accounting (Credit /Debit) Software needed

From the historic posts it looks like Tally is the preferred software for small businesses but I wish to open this question again.

My wife runs a small business for which we've maintained our accounts in excel so far. We'd be getting our sales tax number this year so wish to have a better account keeping practice going onwards and hence the requirement for a software.

Any free softwares that provide an end-to-end account keeping solutions or must I buy one? If buying, what are some of the softwares that aren't too complicated for a single-user and provide enough to enter expenses, credits and manage labourer's payroll?
Old 5th July 2019, 19:36   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
From the historic posts it looks like Tally is the preferred software for small businesses but I wish to open this question again.

My wife runs a small business for which we've maintained our accounts in excel so far. We'd be getting our sales tax number this year so wish to have a better account keeping practice going onwards and hence the requirement for a software.

Any free softwares that provide an end-to-end account keeping solutions or must I buy one? If buying, what are some of the softwares that aren't too complicated for a single-user and provide enough to enter expenses, credits and manage labourer's payroll?
Sorry to open an old post. Did you find any free accounting software? If yes, how do you rate it overall?

I am looking for a accounting software for a small business.
Old 5th July 2019, 21:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
Sorry to open an old post. Did you find any free accounting software? If yes, how do you rate it overall?

I am looking for a accounting software for a small business.
I'm now using QuickBooks which has cloud as well as desktop solution, its not free though.

I researched enough and gnucash is probably still one of the best free software but one needs to spend significant time learning it to get the best out of it.

QuickBooks is one of the best investment I made as the money spent is worth every penny. New age CAs will tell you how amazing and powerful it is. It has both apple and android app and basically everything that one can ask from an accounting solution.
Old 5th July 2019, 23:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm now using QuickBooks which has cloud as well as desktop solution, its not free though.

I researched enough and gnucash is probably still one of the best free software but one needs to spend significant time learning it to get the best out of it.

QuickBooks is one of the best investment I made as the money spent is worth every penny. New age CAs will tell you how amazing and powerful it is. It has both apple and android app and basically everything that one can ask from an accounting solution.
Thank you for your inputs. Will definitely take a look on QuickBooks. If it okay for you, could you post the pricing and related things regarding QuickBooks?

Have you gone through Zoho Books during your research? Got to know it is also one of the popular choice.
Old 6th July 2019, 14:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
Thank you for your inputs. Will definitely take a look on QuickBooks. If it okay for you, could you post the pricing and related things regarding QuickBooks?

Have you gone through Zoho Books during your research? Got to know it is also one of the popular choice.
I recently renewed it for 1500/- as there was an offer going on, otherwise its regular pricing is 4999/- per year.

Zoho is indeed a popular choice but I still found Quickbooks to be better than anything else, including Zoho. I particularly like its iphone app as well as the overall usability and interface.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks