Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 22:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Would be interesting to have a look and feel of the actual version that makes the cut to consumers. I like Windows 7 (already on my Laptop) but I am quite bored of the start menu and other things Windows. Still Windows 7 is way way better than the Windows Vista that I had on my earlier laptop. Let's hope Windows 10 is a success!
Old 1st October 2014, 22:46   #17
BHPian

I, for one, never had a problem with Windows 8. I hardly use the Modern/Metro interface - all my commonly used applications are pinned to the taskbar. The 8.1 update made it even easier to skip the tiled mess that Metro is. One obvious advantage Win 8 has over Win 7 is the sheer performance. Moreover, Win 8/8.1 just flies when installed on an SSD. Having said that, I am happy that Win 10 brings back the start menu, not that I use it a lot, but still.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:31   #18
BHPian

Finally Microsoft realised what a blunder they did by removing the Start button. Windows 10 looks more promising and user friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Will Microsoft give the users of 8.1 a chance to upgrade for free, like they did for Win8??
Microsoft might give the option of upgrading to Windows 10 to its Windows 8.1 users for a limited time. Same process was followed for Windows 7 users to get a free upgrade to Windows 8.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:39   #19
BHPian

I am glad they are releasing Win 10 so soon after the win 8 debacle. I have used Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista, 7 & 8 over a span of last 6 years and feel 7 was the best of the lot as it gave the functionality with out Vista's bling thus making it fast and responsive.

Win 8 is particularly bothersome as I keep searching for the regular functions like start menu, list of programs etc. I believe MS wanted it to be a mix of tablet and OS experience but it ended up being good for neither. Infact win 8 has been giving me constant problem with responsiveness (on a I5, 8GB RAM machine), drivers getting corrupted all to frequently, False postive gesture commands on the mouse pad etc.

I hope MS has made 10 light and robust enough to work without issues for some one who does not need 'touch' functionality.
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:31   #20
BHPian

You realize, at least in tech terms, that you must be getting long in the tooth when you clearly remember working on Windows 3.1 and being excited on the release of Windows 95 which came on some 12 odd floppies.

I would say that of all the Windows OSes I've used, the worst has to be Windows ME. A Microsoft employee once told me that internally the joke was that Microsoft had released a virus. Anyone using it will remember the blue screen of death.

The most revolutionary was definitely Windows 95 - I guess it just got more users to adopt PCs with its relatively simple GUI. Windows 98 built on that success till of course Steve Jobs 2.0 swooped in with his iMac.

History aside, Windows 7 is the best OS from MS that I have used. I found Windows 8 to be rather too tuned for a touch interface. I quickly reinstalled Windows 7 although Windows 8 - which I barely used for a week, definitely had potential. It just seemed gimmicky.

The jury is still out on Windows 10 - does look promising. I'd definitely give it a shot.
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:48   #21
BHPian

Trying Windows 10 on my PC since yesterday; love it, but loved 7 and 8 as well. This should appeal to those who didnt like Windows 8. Last (major) Windows ever, so is significant. More interesting should be the subscription based pricing. Around rs 3000 a year or rs 300 a month with 10tb of onedrive storage might appeal to many.
Old 2nd October 2014, 15:00   #22
BHPian

Seems like Microsoft is incorporating the best from Win7 and Win8 and even *nix(Multiple Desktops). The smart feature will be the search functionality which include the local machine as well as internet(will that be a threat to google search .
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Does Nadella want to signal a break with the past with 10 and skipping 9? They went from year to XP/Vista to 7. The last to probably make people forget Vista.
Greetings, sir!

The only reason for skipping '9' was that a ton of third-party applications contain code to verify the version of Windows they are being run on, and throw an error if the OS is 'win9x' (Windows 95 or 98)

Old 2nd October 2014, 22:27   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
I, for one, never had a problem with Windows 8. I hardly use the Modern/Metro interface - all my commonly used applications are pinned to the taskbar. The 8.1 update made it even easier to skip the tiled mess that Metro is. One obvious advantage Win 8 has over Win 7 is the sheer performance. Moreover, Win 8/8.1 just flies when installed on an SSD. Having said that, I am happy that Win 10 brings back the start menu, not that I use it a lot, but still.
+1
I love windows 8.1. Can't go back to vista or 7 for that matter.8 is just much more fluid and modern. Everything is better, be it the icon design or the task manager.
Can't wait for windows 10. Personally, I'll leave the metro start menu on.
SSD master race checking in!
Old 4th October 2014, 11:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason for skipping '9' was that a ton of third-party applications contain code to verify the version of Windows they are being run on, and throw an error if the OS is 'win9x' (Windows 95 or 98)

This has been making rounds on social media.
However it is not true since most of the programs make use of OS version numbers and not names. The version numbers can be found here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited by Hrishi_111 : 4th October 2014 at 11:29. Reason: Please do not quote an image / video in your reply. It hampers readability for our small screen users.
Old 4th October 2014, 11:58   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
You realize, at least in tech terms, that you must be getting long in the tooth when you clearly remember working on Windows 3.1 and being excited on the release of Windows 95 which came on some 12 odd floppies. .....

History aside, Windows 7 is the best OS from MS that I have used. I found Windows 8 to be rather too tuned for a touch interface.
Then what am I -- a dinosaur. I remember all OSes from DOS 2.0, Windows 28/386 and so on. I must say some of the better ones were Win 3.11, Win 95 and then Win7 and once I got used to it I do not mind Win 8 (esp 8.1).
Old 4th October 2014, 12:14   #27
BHPian

Has anyone been able to install Windows 10 on a Mac using boot camp? I tried upgrading from 8.1 to 10, but it gave an error and now I am back on Windows 8 . Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Old 4th October 2014, 12:18   #28
BHPian

Windows 8/8.1 also has great multi-monitor support - much better than that Windows 7 provides. For people who use more than one monitor, using Modern apps on one and regular desktop programs on another monitor is actually quite cool.
Old 4th October 2014, 13:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

I still think the mobile OS and the desktop OS should be two different animals.
When I bought a laptop with Win 8, I spent two days figuring out where the Shut Down option was.

Even today you can make out the interface is heavily touch optimised without enough thought of the non touch interface users.
Old 4th October 2014, 15:29   #30
BHPian

Whatever said and done, i am really looking forward to OS's and software companies managing the display. Displays are going big and softwares are not doing a good job with scaling.

Have been using the 8.1 at work and I am not liking it. It may be way better than win 8, but it still does not match the sheer awesomeness I had with Win 7. I don't want an OS that looks good, I need an OS that performs well.

Anyways someone told me a skip in generation of MS OS's makes sense !

Why ?

98 was awesome, ME/2000 did not, XP was awesome, Vista did not, Win 7 was awesome, 8/8.1 did not...

Hopefully Win 10 does the trick !

Most Viewed