Old 29th July 2015, 10:13   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Folks: Get the official Windows 10 ISO from here:

hxxps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
MSDN already has it...

Even though I have 100mbps broadband at home, download is very slow thanks to people downloading Win10 all around the world. Expect Internet to be slow worldwide for next couple days.

My download died already... gotta retry. MSDN doesn't offer download managers anymore.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th July 2015 at 10:35.
Old 29th July 2015, 10:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

My computer has already downloaded Windows 10. I guess MS will trigger install at an appropriate time.

It is 6.55GB in C:\$windows.~BT folder.

There is a setup.exe file in this folder. Should I start install myself?

Can I create USB install media from this downloaded folder? (MS Media Creation Tool starts downloaded 6GB files again).
Old 29th July 2015, 11:24   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
My computer has already downloaded Windows 10. I guess MS will trigger install at an appropriate time.

It is 6.55GB in C:\$windows.~BT folder.

There is a setup.exe file in this folder. Should I start install myself?

Can I create USB install media from this downloaded folder? (MS Media Creation Tool starts downloaded 6GB files again).
I remember reading that one should NOT try and install it themselves. Apparently, it deletes all the files in the folder.

I will be upgrading from the ISO as well, I think. My system hasn't downloaded the Win 10 update yet. Though, I feel that my OS license being from Dreamspark has something to do with it.

Cannot wait to go back home now!
Old 29th July 2015, 11:26   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I will be upgrading from the ISO as well, I think. My system hasn't downloaded the Win 10 update yet. Though, I feel that my OS license being from Dreamspark has something to do with it.
Thanks. My windows 8.1 (upgraded from 8) is also from Dreamspark but I got the OS downloaded. So, it is not related to Dreamspark but they are doing it randomly.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:34   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Thanks. My windows 8.1 (upgraded from 8) is also from Dreamspark but I got the OS downloaded. So, it is not related to Dreamspark but they are doing it randomly.
Aah, that is definitely a morale booster.

Hope to have Win 10 by the end of today!
Old 29th July 2015, 12:08   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I am waiting for it too. Has the download for Windows 10 (upgrade) started already?
Old 29th July 2015, 12:35   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I am waiting for it too. Has the download for Windows 10 (upgrade) started already?
The downloads have started from yesterday! The installs are supposed to have been triggered by last night. Anyone here who got to upgrade to Win10 last night?
Old 29th July 2015, 15:08   #143
BHPian

What about OEM systems? I haven't yet got the update or any kind of notification. Its still saying that Windows 10 is reserved for my laptop, thats it. The Windows update icon showing at right side also has disappeared now.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:40   #144
Team-BHP Support

For naive persons like me - this works

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/ho...-update-files/
Old 29th July 2015, 15:43   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, if you're impatient like I was, just download the ISO (links provided earlier) and use it to upgrade.

Also, just make sure you download the correct version (Home or Pro) and architecture (x32 or x64) for your PC.

You don't need to wait for MS to trigger the upgrade.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:49   #146
BHPian

I want the update but want to know whether the laptop is already downloading it on its own or not. How to do that?
Do not want to reduce the speed of the auto-download further by downloading the ISO file myself too :P
Old 29th July 2015, 15:53   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I want the update but want to know whether the laptop is already downloading it on its own or not. How to do that?
Do not want to reduce the speed of the auto-download further by downloading the ISO file myself too :P
You'll find a hidden folder $Windows.~BT in the root directory of your C drive. You will need to enable show hidden and system folders in Windows Explorer to view the folder

The folder gets to about 4-6 GB in size depending on machine to machine. And then starts the wait for the upgrade to be triggered. Be patient and you will get it eventually. If you are not, download the ISO and start the upgrade yourself. Your choice.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:55   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried it earlier but didn't work. The update fails according to the WUP log. Anyway, I am upgrading directly from the ISO file.

Folks: Get the official Windows 10 ISO from here:

hxxps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please replace the 'xx' with you know what
If i download the installed from the windows site, which product serial key do i have to enter ? the exiting windows 7 serial key ?
Old 29th July 2015, 16:01   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
If i download the installed from the windows site, which product serial key do i have to enter ? the exiting windows 7 serial key ?
You don't need to enter any serial key when you do an in-place upgrade. Your first install of Win10 MUST be an in-place upgrade. Do not boot from the ISO, wipe/format the disk and install. It will NOT activate.

The setup program verifies your Windows' is genuine and correctly activated. Your hardware hash/keys will be stored on MS' servers and you are free to do any number of clean installs thereafter provided you don't change major hardware components like the motherboard. If you do, call up the MS call centre for an activation code.
Old 29th July 2015, 16:02   #150
BHPian

Quote:
You'll find a hidden folder $Windows.~BT in the root directory of your C drive. You will need to enable show hidden and system folders in Windows Explorer to view the folder

The folder gets to about 4-6 GB in size depending on machine to machine. And then starts the wait for the upgrade to be triggered. Be patient and you will get it eventually. If you are not, download the ISO and start the upgrade yourself. Your choice.
Thanks for the response. Found the folder there. So hopefully it will finish downloading soon and then will have to wait for the installation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks