Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:31   #46
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Going by the press releases, the upgrade from windows 7 and 8.1 would be free for the first year. Looks like they are moving to subscription based licensing.

In which case I think I will not upgrade!!
Is there clarity on MS office loaded on Win 7, will the same licence copy work on upgrade to Win 10
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:44   #47
BANNED

Upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users to Win 10

Quote:
Terry Myerson just announced on stage that, for the first year after Windows 10 launches, any device running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the latest version of MIcrosoft's OS — for free. How exactly this program will work isn't clear just yet — it'll certainly be subject to some hardware requirements, particularly for older machines running Windows 7. But a simplified upgrade path will likely do a lot to help Windows 10 adoption — rather than dealing with a number of different versions of Windows and different upgrade costs, most consumers will simply take this free update and enjoy running Microsoft's latest.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78...-and-8-1-users
Old 22nd January 2015, 21:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Is there clarity on MS office loaded on Win 7, will the same licence copy work on upgrade to Win 10
Normally it should be supported given that the license was for an instance, unless there were some conditions while buying. They should only be happy for someone moving to their latest version, when a large chunk is moving away from desktops to handhelds or phablets.!!
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:05   #49
BHPian

How will such updates happen i.e. what is the medium, is it OTA (download) or via DVD? If OTA, what will be the file size (May be very big). Any inputs.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 22nd January 2015 at 22:06.
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:06   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
How will such updates happen i.e. what is the medium, is it OTA or via did? If OTA, what will be the file size (May be very big). Any inputs.
For win 8 to win 8.1, the update was availablein the 'Store' for free.

File size: 3.26GB.
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

You guys should really check out project Spartan, the new IE.

Also, check out HoloLens. It is mind boggling. I am in awe of the project.
Old 23rd January 2015, 20:23   #52
BANNED

And from what I've read, Cortana has made it to the desktop!
Old 25th January 2015, 14:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For win 8 to win 8.1, the update was availablein the 'Store' for free.

File size: 3.26GB.
It would exceed the FUP for most people. They should have an option of Backup media. Unfortunately this is not available in India, while the same can be requested in US. Would be good if they can now make it to USB sticks as Media now .
Old 27th January 2015, 12:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
And from what I've read, Cortana has made it to the desktop!
Yes, its working on the desktop I have installed 2 days back. Upgraded from Win 7 to 10, so far the experience has been smooth. All applications are intact and no data lost

I am sure 10 will be a run away hit especially because its a free upgrade for all 7/8/8.1 users. I see no reason why anyone should hold back.

Even corporates would start looking into quickly as per what I see.

Waiting for Win 10 preview for my Lumia 1020 - it is supposed to roll out in February.
Old 27th January 2015, 17:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I am sure 10 will be a run away hit especially because its a free upgrade for all 7/8/8.1 users. I see no reason why anyone should hold back.

Even corporates would start looking into quickly as per what I see.
I am not sure if its free upgrade for the first year or they are moving to a subscription based model, and it would be free for the first year!!
Old 27th January 2015, 18:25   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if its free upgrade for the first year or they are moving to a subscription based model, and it would be free for the first year!!
You almost got it, their plan is far more devious. This software industry has totally wrecked the meaning of "free". The original term was supposed to mean you get something just like that, no questions asked and no cost. In the software world it is "FREE!!" anywhere between 1 week to a year. In the case of Windows it is indeed for a year only. All this means is Microsoft is merely giving you time before you have to pay up. Those who get used to W10 for a whole year would be hesitant to roll back wouldn't they? 10 could be possibly better than 8.x so no question of rolling back there, either.

This is a real hook & reel tactic and its a desperate one since their last 2 variants of 8 bombed. I love windows but as I said before, 7 is it for me. I don't want my professional work to include touch screens and swiping-dragging. A good keyboard & sharp screen is plenty.
Old 27th January 2015, 18:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
All Win 7/8/8.1 users in the first one year of Win 10 launch will be able to upgrade free of cost. And Windows is not subscription based. So it'll be free for life.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
In the software world it is "FREE!!" anywhere between 1 week to a year. In the case of Windows it is indeed for a year only. All this means is Microsoft is merely giving you time before you have to pay up. Those who get used to W10 for a whole year would be hesitant to roll back wouldn't they? 10 could be possibly better than 8.x so no question of rolling back there, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
All Win 7/8/8.1 users in the first one year of Win 10 launch will be able to upgrade free of cost. And Windows is not subscription based. So it'll be free for life.
I would be more than happy to move to 10, if its the licensing was on similar lines of 8->8.1, where they had discounted fee for a limited period. But reading the various news article, it gives me a feeling that they plan to have a subscription model. Though not explicitly mentioned, it gives me a feeling that only the first year subscription is free. Would be more than happy to be wrong. I could then get my 3 machines (2 Laptops and desktop) upgraded for free!!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 27th January 2015 at 20:16.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I would be more than happy to move to 10, if its the licensing was on similar lines of 8->8.1, where they had discounted fee for a limited period. But reading the various news article, it gives me a feeling that they plan to have a subscription model. Though not explicitly mentioned, it gives me a feeling that only the first year subscription is free. Would be more than happy to be wrong. I could then get my 3 machines (2 Laptops and desktop) upgraded for free!!!
I am pretty sure you will get it free on all 3 machines..

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...ne-81-upgrades

Quoting from the website

So, what will it cost? It's free. For a while. After that…

Also, per Myerson...

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

And, this clearly answers the bigger, lingering question of the day brought on through the confusion of touting Windows 10 as "Windows-as-a-Service." And that is - will Windows now come with a subscription model? The answer is 'no.' Once you choose to upgrade, the OS is yours to keep for the life of the device.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, it is not a bad model. We do not use a version of an OS for more than a few years. You need not "buy" a life-long licence for that. When, version 11 is out, you can switch to subscribing the new OS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks