Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 10:09   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Even I would have gone with Option 2. I have never bought a game from US but have read that games from different regions should not be an issue.
Thanks for the links and reassurance. Let me reconfirm after my PS3 arrives late next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
some must haves apart from what @saanil suggested is to have
GOW trilogy
NFS
Kill zone
I am not a NFS but, will try out to see if i like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Some of the games which i like(d) -

Portal 2 -> Amazing!
Uncharted 2 and 3
God of War 1,2,3
Infamous 1/2
Heavy Rain -> Also is Move Enabled. The choices you take within the game lead to 22 different Endings!
Little Big Plant 1/2
L.A Noire - Solving Crimes. Pretty good, but some are too easy and can be played only once. Loses charm later
Looks like Uncharted is on everyone's list. That will be the first to be purchased since i have been reading good reviews of it since last few pages.

Btw, any good source to buy pre-owned games? Although i bought all my games brand new, I feel spending money on brand new games is a bit of waste of money
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:02   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, any good source to buy pre-owned games? Although i bought all my games brand new, I feel spending money on brand new games is a bit of waste of money
The best source i found at times is Landmark, they have Pre owned collection which is quite reasonable, please check if you have one near you
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:35   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I need to pick up a PS3 for my nephew and need your advice.

I called the Sony Center in Coimbatore and got a quote for 16990 for 160GB and 19990 for 320GB. He told me to wait for a few days as the 500GB will be launched too.

Which is a good buy? I have no idea on what to look for and all your suggestions are very valuable. Also, would I get better prices if I buy online, If yes, from where?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by beejay : 22nd October 2012 at 13:35. Reason: typo...
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:03   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hello,

I need to pick up a PS3 for my nephew and need your advice.
The prices which you have been quoted are MRP prices I guess – Even Flipkart has the same rates. Note that the 320 GB one comes with Move Bundle (MOVE is Sony’s motion based gaming unit) whereas the 160GB one is without MOVE (Kindly check this!).

I bought one from a shop for 18.5k. Note that this was a small shop and not a big one like Croma etc. I doubt Croma would give any competitive rates. Try to inquire from some small shops which are reliable (from your previous experience or experience of your friends/relatives). I am somehow not comfortable buying such things online – the highest amount I have paid online is Rs 3k – that too for a PS3 game only. Try Indiatimes Shopping (http://shopping.indiatimes.com/games...lay-station-3/ ) and Snapdeal (http://www.snapdeal.com/products/ele...%20Playstation ) I have no idea whether they are good as Flipkart.

Even I was in a dilemma whether to wait for the new slimmer PS3 or just use the current PS3 slim. The Slimmer version is expected to come in a few weeks. From what I have read – the internals are the same – just the form factor has changed – it has become slimmer. Also the storage capacity has increased – earlier PS3 was available at 160/320GB – Now they will be available at 250/500GB. But I have read that prices might not be less – as in if for 16.9k earlier you were getting 160GB, now you will be getting 250GB – around the same price – So for the same or around 17k you are basically getting more storage. I am myself not sure what will be the actual prices.

I did not want to wait much so went ahead and bought the current PS3 Slim – Note that I did not see retailers lowering their price too much after the new PS3 Slim was announced.

Last edited by Saanil : 22nd October 2012 at 14:05.
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:36   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not want to wait much so went ahead and bought the current PS3 Slim – Note that I did not see retailers lowering their price too much after the new PS3 Slim was announced.
Thank you very much for the detailed response.

I prefer buying from a small store too than the corporate stores. I think its prudent for me to wait for a week and decide which one to buy.

I have decided to go for the 320GB or 500GB if the same is priced less than 20k with the MOVE

Thanks again

Benny
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:11   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed response.

I prefer buying from a small store too than the corporate stores. I think its prudent for me to wait for a week and decide which one to buy.
Happy to help!

Just wanted to know - Did you consider Xbox 360? Curious to know what made you go for the PS3 over Xbox...
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:34   #1087
BHPian

Going by couple of pages here, there are not many Xbox gamers compared to ps3 gamers on this forum. Is this true? Do folks find PS3 better than Xbox?

I am xbox gamer
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:34   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post
Going by couple of pages here, there are not many Xbox gamers compared to ps3 gamers on this forum. Is this true? Do folks find PS3 better than Xbox?

I am xbox gamer
India does have more PS3 gamers than XBox. Reasons - free PSN multiplayer gaming, a lot more PS3 exclusives than XBox, Blue Ray drive. I am a PS3 gamer and love it.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:00   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

First of all, as the starter of this thread, i apologise for not being too active in this thread. Honestly, i have not been into gaming myself all these years.

However, this festive season i am going to buy a gaming console.

I am more inclined towards PS3. The move+PS3 pack is @ 20k at Flipkart, much cheaper than the Xbox 360+Kinect. Moreover, PS3 is said to have better graphics engine.

So here goes:

1. From where to buy the PS3320GB with Kinect ? Is online ordering through Flipkart OK? Flipkart is giving Mediveal Moves free.

2. Any possibility of PS3 being upgraded to better engine anytime soon? I don't mind the storage capacity, 320 GB is more than enough for me (For saving games).

3. From where to get second hand games for the console? Any specific websites?

4. Apart from Uncharted Trilogy, any specific games? I am looking at "Driver".
Old 25th October 2012, 14:49   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

1. From where to buy the PS3320GB with Kinect ? Is online ordering through Flipkart OK? Flipkart is giving Mediveal Moves free.

You mean PS3 320GB with Move right?

Flipkart is not giving it free - Medieval Moves game is a part of the bundle - You will get this game in the box itself. Flipkart is not giving you for free.

2. Any possibility of PS3 being upgraded to better engine anytime soon? I don't mind the storage capacity, 320 GB is more than enough for me (For saving games).

If you are talking about PS4 then I think it is at least a year away

3. From where to get second hand games for the console? Any specific websites?

4. Apart from Uncharted Trilogy, any specific games? I am looking at "Driver".
My post above (Post 1084) and some other posts by fellow members will clear all your remaining questions. For Move games, I would suggest:

Sports Champions 1 (available on Flipkart), Sports Champions 2 (expected to come in 1st week of November - you can pre-order if you want from Flipkart), Heavy Rain. Do not buy too many games at one time (unless you are getting a super deal). Take one game/series - finish it and them move on to next - this is what I follow.

Xbox with Kinect with the same GB capacity does look expensive. But remember that in Kinect you do not require any extra hard ware i.e. You get the Kinect and any number of people can play (of course if the game permits). But with Move you get only one controller. Now if 2 or more people are playing you will need more controllers – There are some games where in order to enjoy the game a single person needs to have 2 controllers (one for each hand). So when comparing also take into account the extra costs of Move controller (I highly recommend having at least 2 Move controllers). But yes - Xbox package is indeed costly. Couple that with the fact that playing PS3 over internet is free whereas for Xbox you require to pay some monthly fees (correct me if I am wrong here)

Last edited by Saanil : 25th October 2012 at 14:57.
Old 25th October 2012, 15:20   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to help!

Just wanted to know - Did you consider Xbox 360? Curious to know what made you go for the PS3 over Xbox...
I did not consider the Xbox 360 at all. my nephew had a liking for the ps3 and I just went with that.

The sales person told me he will call me as soon as itthe 500gb launches, no news as yet from him
Old 25th October 2012, 15:24   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Guys hows does PS3 work .

1.What is the need of 160 or 320 GB HDD, does the games get copied to HDD ?
2.Do you need to put the game CD everytime you need to play the game ?
3.Is the Blue Ray player region free ?
Old 25th October 2012, 15:26   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Go with the PS3. you will not regret it
To add to the Move factor of PS3, it is more accurate over the kinect body movements since Move uses controller for the same.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:05   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

Lots of Save game data & downloadable content from Play station store.

Yes, unless its jailbroken.

No, they are region coded. But Games are region free IIRC.
.................................................. ........................................
Old 25th October 2012, 16:20   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

1. Some/Most of the games install into a HDD. However, not all game data is copied. For Huge games, Somewhere around 2-6GB (depending on size of the game, Lenght of cut scenes, Voices etc) gets installed on the HDD. 160 or 320 both are more than enough. That is assuming you are using a disc. Apart from this, you can download the games from PS Store, download Trailers, Store pics, videos etc which take up space on your HDD. Depending on this, decide how much space you would need.
2. If its a stock PS3 which has not been modded/jail broken, yes.
3. No.
Movies - Regional movie discs are mostly region free.
English Movies are not. They are locked to a region.
Games - Mostly Region free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks