Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 16:34   #1006
BHPian

Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Have any of the PS3 owners given Playstation Plus a try? How has the experience been & did you feel it was worth the extra Vitamin M?
Old 27th August 2012, 20:27   #1007
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some suggestions – I am a complete noob at this so kindly forgive my stupid questions. Recently I played Nintendo Wii for the first time at my friends place. I was aware if this simulator type games but had never played them actually. I played games like boxing/bowling/golf/tennis. I enjoyed playing them thoroughly and which is why I am posting here.

I too want to buy a gaming console but before I do so I just wanted to ask the experts here. Now as far as I can understand there are two types of games – one category is like Need For Speed types where we play with a controller which is to be held by both hands and you just have to press the buttons on it to play. Then there are games in which you have to make hand gestures with the controller to play like swinging you arms in tennis/jabbing in boxing etc. For the second category you also need a sensor which can sense your movements.

Can I get a console which can play both game? I mean I want to buy a set which will have both the sensor and controllers so that I can play both category of games. I went to Sony’s website to see what products they have got and was a bit confused. So they have the normal gaming consoles (PS2/PS3) but then they also have the 4GB bundles pack – what exactly is that?

As far as I have read there are three products – Nintendo’s Wii, Microsoft’s Xbox and Sony’s Playstation. I am open to all brands and am ready to get the top end model too. How should I decide which one to buy? My main requirements are:

1. Availability of popular games. I want a console for which the popular games are available are decent prices. I guess like software games also have compatibility issues – There might be games specifically meant to be played on PS3 or Wii.

2. I should be able to play games like NFS, FIFA as well as the Kinect games. How much do these games cost? I do not intend to buy 10-15 at one go but just wanted to get an idea. Some people also told me that nowadays you cannot buy pirated games which cost much lesser – Is it true? I do not mind buying games at high prices but if it is possible to get the games cheaper then why not.

3. How much warranty does one get on consoles? How much do extra controllers cost? I assume you get just one controller with the console but if you intend to play multiplayer games you will need more controllers.

4. I read at one place that Sony PS3 have blu-ray capability – Is it for watching movies? I do not intend to watch movies on the console so this advantage might not hold for me right? What other use does blu-ray have?

5. Can I also play with other players online? Something like in Counter Strike? Sony and Microsoft have their own portals but I read Sony portal is free where Xbox Live charges some annual fees. Any suggestions on this front?

Any other suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:17   #1008
BHPian

Saanil,
I suggest you go to Flipkart website. You will clearly get to know the models/bundles that are in sale in India. Typically, you get a PS3/PS2/xbox + a controller, however a bundle will also include a Motion sensor and a motion controller (applicable if you are buying PS3 with Move or wii).
If you buy PS3/PS2/xbox - Only controller based games - FIFA, NFS etc
If you buy PS2/PS3/ + MOve Bundle or xbox + Kinect Bundle - Both Contoller + Motion based games (like Boxing, Swimming etc).

Typically the "Bundles" cost less than buying each separately (Ex: Purchasing PS3 and Move separately).

Answer for other questions -
1. Each of the consoles have their own format. You cannot play a disc which you buy for xbox on PS3. The games might be available for all formats. If you go to Electronic retail stores like Croma, you will see separate sections for Xbox games, PS3 Games, Wii games.
2. Typically the games cost anywhere between 1500 to 3000. It depends on the popularity etc.
3. Warranty is usually 1 year. You can get extra controllers for around 3K.
4. PS3 games come in Bluray discs. You can buy Bluray movies as well. Amazing clarity + sound! You can play DVDs as well, This will be upscaled from the normal resolution. So the DVDs look better as well!
5. PS3 Online - Free, Xbox Live! - Paid. Both needs you to have original discs of the game you want to play with. Also, Jailbroken/hacked/Modded/pirated consoles might be banned if you connect to online gaming via PS3!

Finally see this for more info reg the consoles and their prices + features :

Gaming Consoles List India: Flipkart.com
Old 28th August 2012, 16:43   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Saanil,
I suggest you go to Flipkart website.
Thanks bondbhai for your answers. Now I understand the console world a little better (well somewhat). I have few more questions:

I saw lots of video reviews and read a lot on Flipkart too. I have to say that I am thoroughly confused – the reviews are conflicting. One thing I understood is that the hardware is quite good on both – it really depends on the game developers to make the most of it. I do not have any statistics on which console has better games/gameplay but if you know anything it would be greatly helpful.

I have almost removed Wii from my consideration. While I enjoyed playing on Wii – at most places people always find it difficult to choose between PS/Xbox – The Wii is not even taken into consideration. Plus after lots of reading I think gameplay is better in PS/Xbox than Wii (am I right?).

After seeing Flipkart it seems Xbox is a bit costly than PS3. Also is 4GB sufficient? How much memory do games like NFS/COD take up? After 4GB the next memory available is directly 160 GB. Can I do one thing – Buy 4GB now and if in future I need more memory, buy a separate hard-disk?

Also one of my friends told me that the battery on Xbox controller drains out very fast and that I would have to buy batteries which will be costly. How is the battery of PS3 in comparison to Xbox? What are the typical charges for batteries? How often do you replace them? Also do I need to buy a separate HDMI cable? Any other hardware I need to buy separately? We have got an LG LCD TV just 1 year back so I think compatibility should not be an issue.

What are the most popular games played on consoles? I am a huge fan of FPS games (especially Counter Strike) but I am a bit apprehensive whether playing on controller will be as good as playing on a PC with mouse.

Currently I am reviewing the space restrictions in the living room to see if buying motion based games make sense.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:54   #1010
BHPian

I've used both xbox 360 and ps3 but find ps3 better due to 2 reasons :
1.Slightly better graphics.
2.After modding ,it you can store the entire game in the hard disk. You don't have to worry of the disc giving up.You can get the games downloaded from the market.
You can get 7-8 games downloaded for the cost of one original game disk.8 games mean approx 16k for original disks.

Also ps3 has a blu ray player which can be used for watching blu ray movies.

Just my 2cents.

Compatibility won't be an issue at all.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare/Black Ops is a great game.

You can buy a hard disk anytime you want.

Last edited by k2max6 : 28th August 2012 at 17:00.
Old 28th August 2012, 17:22   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I've used both xbox 360 and ps3 but find ps3 better due to 2 reasons :
1.Slightly better graphics.
2.After modding ,it you can store the entire game in the hard disk. You don't have to worry of the disc giving up.You can get the games downloaded from the market.
You can get 7-8 games downloaded for the cost of one original game disk.8 games mean approx 16k for original disks.
What do you mean by modding it? Do you mean hacking it? Sorry but I am not aware of these terminologies. I was of the opinion that PS3/Xbox is not hackable.
Old 28th August 2012, 17:48   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

What do you mean by modding it? Do you mean hacking it? Sorry but I am not aware of these terminologies. I was of the opinion that PS3/Xbox is not hackable.
Modding means kind of hacking.
Every original disk has a sector which contains data which is used by xbox/ps3 to identify that the disk is original.Although the entire game disk can be copied to another disk but not this data.
Due to which pirated games cannot be played.
For xbox
Modding is a procedure done which makes the xbox recognise a pirated disk as an original disk.This is a one time procedure and you can run pirated games after that.pirated disks are available for 100 bucks each.

Similarly on ps3 after modding you can play games stored on your ps3 hard disk without the requirement of an original disk.unlike xbox360 you can't buy pirated disks but need to get the game downloaded to your hard disk.

Modding voids the warranty of your console.

PS: this is just an informational post and no way i promote piracy.i hope this post adheres to tbhp policy.
Old 28th August 2012, 18:03   #1013
BHPian

I would say go with XBOX 4GB with Kinect. I have XBOX 250GB with Kinect, bought from US for my Kid.

1. You have to buy HDMI cable or use provided RCA cable.
2. Controls available with Chargeable Battery, keep that as second console for you.
3. Modded with save cost on buying pirate games, usually available at Rs 100 per game, but mostly old titles you will get, not the latest one. Yes it void warranty.
4. You can play games online also
5. 4GB space in case you want to download some games online, but generally its less, as game sizes now a days goes into 6-10 GB. Yes you can remove your 4GB and go for 250GB later on. its plug and play kind off
6. Kinect (sensor device) games has very few games, but for this u need to have any device, just connect and play, its fun.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:44   #1014
BHPian

For motion based games I think Playstation Move is better but for normal console games I think Xbox is better. However I am more inclined towards PS3 at the moment. I will be going out to a Croma store this weekend and checking out the prices.
Old 29th August 2012, 15:36   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
For motion based games I think Playstation Move is better but for normal console games I think Xbox is better. However I am more inclined towards PS3 at the moment. I will be going out to a Croma store this weekend and checking out the prices.
i would suggest do a price comparison between ebay.in and flipkart, Croma would sell on MRP.

I have PS3 great studio games by Sony, i was one of the first people to order xbox 360 when it was launched in India but sold it due to RROD fear, plus the tray made lot of noise also leading to scratched CD's although i miss playing good games like Gears of War and great online community. However, it paid to get a PS3 as most independent developers are out of MS studios and developing for PS3 too, biggest drawback XBOX has is exclusivity, in the end all xbox titles come to PC.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:03   #1016
BHPian

Any Motion based game players here? Is it possible to play FPS games? For move you do get a controller with which you can aim and shoot but with Kinect how does it work? For some reason I think Move will be better at FPS games. Are there FPS games available for motion category? How is the overall experience?
Old 30th August 2012, 16:33   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil
Any Motion based game players here? Is it possible to play FPS games? For move you do get a controller with which you can aim and shoot but with Kinect how does it work? For some reason I think Move will be better at FPS games. Are there FPS games available for motion category? How is the overall experience?
Kinect detects your motion using its sensor. Initially you need to calibrate it by making some moves as specified by the xbox and it starts recognising your motion.

With kinect you need to use the controller along for some part of the game.
Both the ps3 and xbox have around 10fps games.
Here you go

http://www.squidoo.com/kinect-shooting-games

http://www.squidoo.com/ps3-move-shooting-games
Old 30th August 2012, 21:33   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
if you use Move or Kinect, there are special gun shaped controllers available that would use as motion sensors and can be use with any. They are a little bit costly but its an option. otherwise you have to go to the default controller in each. I haven't played a FPS for motion as it is more fun playing with controller.
Old 31st August 2012, 05:52   #1019
Senior - BHPian

We just got a PS3 Slim from the States. Problem is, on the console it says 120V and as you all know, here it's 240V

Want to know if I can plug the PS3 Slim directly into the mains here or do I need a step-down transformer.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:20   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN
We just got a PS3 Slim from the States. Problem is, on the console it says 120V and as you all know, here it's 240V

Want to know if I can plug the PS3 Slim directly into the mains here or do I need a step-down transformer.
You can't plug it directly in the mains. Yes, You need a step down transformer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks