Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 21:14   #2296
BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Hey guys,
Thought I'd share mine Some of you guys form the other forums have seen it already,
but anyway, of other Bhpians here....
  • Intel 2600K @ 5.5Ghz! on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
  • 8Gb HyperxT1 DDR3 and 2x HyperX SSD 128Gb (OS and Gaming)
  • ASUS GTX 580 Direct CU II and Xonar.ST
  • Corsair HX750 Housed in a Corsair 800D
  • 6TB Storage
  • XSPC Rasa 750 Water Cooler, Triple 120 Rad.
  • Dual-bay Res. and Pump.
  • Scythe Master Kaze 6 Fan and Temp. Controller
  • All Cables Blue Sleeved

....built by ME.

Last edited by nanu28 : 1st April 2012 at 21:15.
Old 1st April 2012, 21:27   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
No need to google that. Electronics equipment and computers use electrolytic capacitors and these electrolytic caps don't take kindly to heat. Over a period of time, they dry up and fail. So the LCD drive unit - which uses dozens of these electrolytic capacitors starts displaying striations/bars across the screen - one symptom. Not that it will display such show always. Some may show signs of distress before a failure while most fail with no warning.

My point is these things are not so expensive to replace.
Aha, thanks for the explanation. I remember reading about solid-state capacitors used in newer devices , mainly motherboards , I surmise this is to counter the problem above with electrolytic capacitors.

Anyway, so is it the display driver unit that I need to change ( I assume that's an entire circuit board unit ? I doubt anyone will replace only the capacitors and solder them connections. I'll talk to some hardware shops about the part availability/price once I know the name. If not available or too costly, might get an LED monitor that runs cooler and draws less power.

EDIT :
Nanu28 , that is one GHz defying rig ! 5.5 GHz , is that for test/benchmark only or do you run in everyday at that ? My rig is pretty humble in comparison :
Core2Duo E8400 at stock 3 GHz
Gigabyte P35S3g
4GB DDR2 800 Kingston (valu-ram ? )
Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
Corsair TX650 PSU
Viewsonic 22" 1680x1050 LCD
1x 250GB Seagate , 1 x WD 1TB Caviar green, 1x 500GB Caviar blue
all enclose in a plain Jane TAG case

PS : if you're system builder , please do PM your contact. Plan to do a slow upgrade of my rig this time, spreading out the cost.

Last edited by Ricci : 1st April 2012 at 21:34.
Old 1st April 2012, 22:17   #2298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Hey guys,
Thought I'd share mine ...

....built by ME.
Very nice work. How are the noise levels from your machine?
Old 1st April 2012, 22:40   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thought I'd share mine Some of you guys form the other forums have seen it already,

....built by ME.
That is some pretty neat wire management !! What was the cost of the SSD ? Im thinking of getting one for my OS and 3D softwares.
Old 1st April 2012, 23:55   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
That is some pretty neat wire management !! What was the cost of the SSD ? Im thinking of getting one for my OS and 3D softwares.
Thanks..I dont know the current cost honestly, just look it up or ask your computer guy, its about Rs100/1Gb or so I think...not sure now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very nice work. How are the noise levels from your machine?
Thanks Its super quiet, I am using WC if you notice, and I have all my fans controlled thru the temp controller up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
EDIT :
Nanu28 , that is one GHz defying rig ! 5.5 GHz , is that for test/benchmark only or do you run in everyday at that ?
PS : if you're system builder , please do PM your contact. Plan to do a slow upgrade of my rig this time, spreading out the cost.
Thanks, Its at 5ghz most of the time I have never taken it below that after the first week of having the chip, its 100% stable at 5+ even but I game at 5Ghz, I am happy there, I have benched at 5.5Ghz, though, and booted even at 5.6-5.7 but not more.

About building computers, I did that in University to afford partying PM me your requiremend and I will if I can help in anyway.
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:25   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
but anyway, of other Bhpians here....

....built by ME.
That's seriously a sick build. ICan you explain a little more details on the build, like-
1. Where did you procure your parts from
2. Approx price you paid for the core comps
3. How did you do the sleeving

Slightly OT - I am in Mumbai, and dust kills every thing. I don't like AC, so I have a system of fans for my own cooling needs - 1 ceiling, 3 wall mounted cabin fans and 4 exhaust fans. The air flow is really good. If there's cool air anywhere within 50 miles radius, it's gonna pass through my bathroom (I converted that as my computer room). However, this air flow system also brings in awesome amounts of dust.
My Question is, if I setup a water cooling system, can I seal the complete case and mount the radiator type thing outside... so that my core PC remains clean?
Please advise.
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:45   #2302
BHPian

There is no point in using water cooling unless you are overclocking your system, totally pointless, if at stock the stock cooling is sufficient,...
rest answers in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
That's seriously a sick build. ICan you explain a little more details on the build, like-
1. Where did you procure your parts from
Online US store or local stores
2. Approx price you paid for the core comps
That machine costs upwards of 2 lacs, its connected to a FullHD plasma etc
3. How did you do the sleeving
I didn't I bought everything, I don't have that kinda time to sleeve so just bought 'em, got em shipped from FrozenCPU.com and/or Dazmode.com

Slightly OT - I am in Mumbai, and dust kills every thing. I don't like AC, so I have a system of fans for my own cooling needs - 1 ceiling, 3 wall mounted cabin fans and 4 exhaust fans. The air flow is really good. If there's cool air anywhere within 50 miles radius, it's gonna pass through my bathroom (I converted that as my computer room). However, this air flow system also brings in awesome amounts of dust.
My Question is, if I setup a water cooling system, can I seal the complete case and mount the radiator type thing outside... so that my core PC remains clean?
Please advise.
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:53   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
There is no point in using water cooling unless you are overclocking your system, totally pointless, if at stock the stock cooling is sufficient,...
rest answers in bold.
Did you buy the stuff from US online stores while you were in US or did you get it while being in Pune?
I am checking the stores you've mentioned. Meanwhile, if you could explain a little about how you did the buying and importing, it'll help a lot.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:08   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Did you buy the stuff from US online stores while you were in US or did you get it while being in Pune?
I am checking the stores you've mentioned. Meanwhile, if you could explain a little about how you did the buying and importing, it'll help a lot.

Some imported, some bought down by friends and family, some parts from local dealers they directly imported it for me if needed.
I also have a US mail forwarding address, from where I can get anything shipped to india within 5 days, though this is the most expensive route. Just google US mail forwarding address and you will get many such services.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:52   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....built by ME.
what you got - a datacenter at home or what?

nice rig mate; envy of any hardcore gamer (or PC enthusiast)!
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:56   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
what you got - a datacenter at home or what?

nice rig mate; envy of any hardcore gamer (or PC enthusiast)!

Only gaming !! and a bit of movies, and browsing the net etc. But yeah mostly gaming, more than anything else you know how we bhpians are, love getting under the hood of everything, and I do it as a hobby. But ofcourse it is great for anything a machine as such.

You can see more pics here: http://www.techenclave.com/galleries...er-cooled-rig/

Last edited by nanu28 : 2nd April 2012 at 11:58.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:34   #2307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rest answers in bold.
See Cranky's build, about a page back in this thread. His reason for getting wet was noise reduction. His combination of stock fans on CPU and two graphics cards was making a huge noise, so he water-cooled all three.

Far from over-clocking, my AMD cpu runs at only 25% for the vast majority of its time. However, I still wanted a quiet machine. I don't have high-powered graphic requirements, and on-board graphics is good enough for me. Still the stock CPU cooler was too noisy. Even thou I contemplated water, a big CPU cooler was enough for me: it is completely silent even when the cpu wakes up from its usual snoozing.

Quote:
Slightly OT - I am in Mumbai, and dust kills every thing.
Can you seal the machine against dust? No! Water-cooling the graphics card[s] would be a step in this direction; moving the bulk of the hdd storage to external drives would be another; fanless PSU would also be required (actually, my PSU, although having a fan is also pretty silent) --- but there will still be components left inside the case that generate heat. The power-regulation section of my motherboard is one of the hottest things in the whole machine.

What can be done? Filters. I too live in a majorly dusty area. There is not only always building work going on, but there are also suppliers of building materials, with their open piles of sand, etc. And I have cats. The inside of my previous machine sometimes looked like something from a horror film.

My current machine's Antec P183 has plenty of area open for air intake (assisted by two fans sucking on the intake side, one of which blows over the hdds) but they are all covered with filter mesh. Although it doesn't look that fine, it is remarkably effective. Whilst the machine interior might not look exactly brand new, it does look like a machine that works in a clean area, and not a very dirty one. With two long-haired cats in the house, I needed to clean the filters once a month. Without cat, much less often. Recently a short-haired cat has decided it lives here...

The machine is 16 months old: it has never yet required major internal cleaning. My old machine would have been clogged.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd April 2012 at 12:36.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:49   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
See Cranky's build, about a page back in this thread. His reason for getting wet was noise reduction. His combination of stock fans on CPU and two graphics cards was making a huge noise, so he water-cooled all three.

Far from over-clocking, my AMD cpu runs at only 25% for the vast majority of its time. However, I still wanted a quiet machine. I don't have high-powered graphic requirements, and on-board graphics is good enough for me. Still the stock CPU cooler was too noisy. Even thou I contemplated water, a big CPU cooler was enough for me: it is completely silent even when the cpu wakes up from its usual snoozing.

Can you seal the machine against dust? No! Water-cooling the graphics card[s] would be a step in this direction; moving the bulk of the hdd storage to external drives would be another; fanless PSU would also be required (actually, my PSU, although having a fan is also pretty silent) --- but there will still be components left inside the case that generate heat. The power-regulation section of my motherboard is one of the hottest things in the whole machine.

What can be done? Filters. I too live in a majorly dusty area. There is not only always building work going on, but there are also suppliers of building materials, with their open piles of sand, etc. And I have cats. The inside of my previous machine sometimes looked like something from a horror film.

My current machine's Antec P183 has plenty of area open for air intake (assisted by two fans sucking on the intake side, one of which blows over the hdds) but they are all covered with filter mesh. Although it doesn't look that fine, it is remarkably effective. Whilst the machine interior might not look exactly brand new, it does look like a machine that works in a clean area, and not a very dirty one. With two long-haired cats in the house, I needed to clean the filters once a month. Without cat, much less often. Recently a short-haired cat has decided it lives here...

The machine is 16 months old: it has never yet required major internal cleaning. My old machine would have been clogged.
..yes you are right, silence could be another factor for water cooling, but dust really? WC has radiators, internal or external need to be kept clean to perform decently.

Your P183 does keep out the dust well as it has dust filters for all intakes.

Yes an aftermarket cooler without a fan is good enough for not sucking in air, and is quiet, for stock voltages. I have used a fanless hyper 212 for E8400 and it was quiet and gathered almost no dust since it never had a fan.
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:44   #2309
BHPian

Quote:

How do you do these mesh filter thing? What kind of mesh should I buy? Did you cut and tape/screw/fix the filters on the Fan ports or did you wrap the whole CPU box in that mesh and tape?
I Guess option 2 will be quite easy to do. How costly is this mesh you are using?
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:55   #2310
Distinguished - BHPian

It came with the case. Although you cannot see it in this picture from Antec, every one of those front panels has this filter mesh glued on the inside.

However, if I knew the answers to your questions, I might experiment with, for instance, opening up PCI slots for greater air intake, making my own mesh cover. As it is, I have blocked all openings that are not filtered. I doubt that it is expensive: it is just a case of getting the right stuff. Maybe even something like muslin (a very open-weave cloth) would do, but that would probably have to be considered disposable, not washable and re-usable.

I too would be interested in input from anyone who has made their own filter.

With any change to cabinet airflow, it is really important to monitor the results. Failing to do so could be horribly expensive. I keep sensor and fan speed applets running on a Ubuntu [Linux] panel

Name:  sensors.png
Views: 517
Size:  15.1 KB

-1 is a failed disc: it isn't there! 36C is the CPU, 832rpm the CPU cooler. The general temperature and the power regulator temperature are at 41. Ambient is 30.5 just now with no AC. I have the machine's front door open to maximise that inflow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks