Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2016, 15:43   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

My monitor was fixed in a day or two. it took us longer to get the cash to pay for it!

It works well but... the colour balance is different and too blue. I could probably adjust this in software, but the Catalyst driver packages for my Radeon HD4290 built-in adapter are no longer available for Linux. Looking for a work around for this.

I wish I had told them that the OSD buttons don't work. But I didn't need to adjust them for a long time and I forgot.
Old 16th November 2016, 17:07   #3047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Dock should not be required anymore. since :
  1. Laptops usually have USB port to connect Keyboard + Mouse
  2. Laptops have hdmi/dvi/displayport to directly connect to external monitor or TV
This solution should work for TorqueyTechie assuming the laptop will be on it's place for ever, or at least for most of the time.

Pain is, when the laptop need to be taken-off frequently. I wasn't provided a dock at office, but I use all external devices and for every meeting I should remove 5 different cables (1 Keyboard, 1 mouse, 1 mobile USB cable, 1 charger, 1 display cable) and insert them back after I reach the desk This is highly irritation and felt not practical any more (but without an option, living with the same)
Old 18th November 2016, 08:38   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I wasn't provided a dock at office, but I use all external devices and for every meeting I should remove 5 different cables
Yes, dock helps in that scenario. Maybe getting a USB hub can save couple of these cables like Mouse/Keyboard/External hdd
Old 19th November 2016, 16:01   #3049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My monitor was fixed in a day or two. it took us longer to get the cash to pay for it!

It works well but... the colour balance is different and too blue. I could probably adjust this in software, but the Catalyst driver packages for my Radeon HD4290 built-in adapter are no longer available for Linux. Looking for a work around for this.

I wish I had told them that the OSD buttons don't work. But I didn't need to adjust them for a long time and I forgot.
The wonderful thing about Linux is that, after a little digging, it is not so hard to find something like

Quote:
$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --brightness 0.85 --gamma 1.0:1.0:0.86

it is a bit blunt, and it would probably wonderful to do a real calibration, but I am not going to spend money on a spectrometer.
Old 29th November 2016, 07:59   #3050
BHPian

I am looking to replace my ageing desktop currently being used by my parents with a sleeker, faster and better one. I can get it done with just replacing the processor, Mobo and the Ram, but I am thinking of passing my PC to someone who can make use of it. This involves getting a new full fledged desktop with the only usage being youtube, internet surfing and long Skype calls.
I initially considered the 'All-in-one' desktop purely for the form factor and the space savings they offered but quickly discarded that option for the sheer non value for money & stone age models being sold in my budget range (~30-35K). Laptops are out of consideration because of the extremely small screens they offer(Considered a laptop plus large size monitor connected via HDMI combo, but am pretty sure the hassle of connecting will overwhelm them and will end up in not using the monitor).
I have always been an AMD guy for the better VFM they offer(3 CPU's from the AMD Athlon family as of now)but this time I am going for an Intel CPU. I had initially zeroed down on the 6th Gen i3-6100 Skylake processor but later stumbled upon the budget Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Skylake processor(cheapest Skylake processor) which would serve all my requirements for less than half the price of the i3. Using a Skylake processor would mean I can upgrade my processor with a modern one down the lane without having to replace my Mobo. Throw in a 2.5" 120GB SSD and 8gigs of DDR4 memory, I should be having a machine that can handle the operations with ease. I am not going to have any graphic intensive (Read encoding videos, game, etc.) tasks and that eliminates the need for a GPU.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400- ~4.5K
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz DDR4 8Gb - ~4K
SSD: Sandisk/Samsung 2.5" 120Gb -~3.5K

I need suggestions for the following

Mobo(~5-6K): Requirements being LGA 1151(Skylake)socket, multiple USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0 ports, No overclocking features, DDR4 compatible, Wifi/Bluetooth is a welcome bonus. I don't have a requirement for PCI slots and think a Mini ATX form factor would be good.
Monitor(~10K): I currently have a 5 year old 19 inch LG model doing its duty. I am looking out for a 22"+ monitor that offers good viewing angles and FHD support. Thin bezels would add to the aesthetics
Cabinet(~2-3K?): I will not be having an optical drive for sure, I need space for the 2.5" SSD and a conventional HDD to be mounted. Micro/Mini ATX form factor would really save some space considering that the CPU is not overclocked or not going to be stressed out to cause overheating.
Power Supply: I'am thinking of going for a normal Mercury/Enter 500W power supply.

Do let me know your thoughts on these as I plan to assemble this by Jan next year and yes, this is going to be my first complete build!
Old 29th November 2016, 08:36   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
getting a new full fledged desktop with the only usage being Youtube, internet surfing and long Skype calls.
Maybe you can consider a PC from HP / Dell in same price range.
E.g: https://www.hpshopping.in/hp_slimlin...21in_(w2t11aa)

Some benefits :
  1. Three year onsite warranty (cost 1k for 2 year additional)
  2. Pretty decent config except RAM (just 4 GB, needs another 4 GB)
Old 29th November 2016, 12:41   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Maybe you can consider a PC from HP / Dell in same price range.
E.g: https://www.hpshopping.in/hp_slimlin...21in_(w2t11aa)
I had considered them, but the lack of real estate in the monitor is a big let down. I want a 23-24" monitor rather than the std 19-20" being offered. NUC's are way outside my budget unfortunately.
Old 26th December 2016, 22:39   #3053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Short-lived success

There is now a bright green vertical line. I guess it's time to shell out for that fancy Dell monitor I was fancying all along.
Old 29th December 2016, 12:29   #3054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... There is now a bright green vertical line. I guess it's time to shell out for that fancy Dell monitor I was fancying all along.
Our repair company tell us that the screen unit is not currently available for my Samsung. For better or for worse (Dell service etc), I have ordered Dell U2415. It is reviewed as being the current best 16:10 24-inch monitor short of paying big money for pro graphics stuff. And it even comes with factory colour calibration.

I can find it quite a lot cheaper on the net, but for for a high-price purchase, I prefer to stick with Amazon, especially Amazon-fulfilled.

Hope it works out. And lasts at least as many years as this Samsung did (only seven or eight). Wondering if I should call my priest neighbour to squash some lemons with it, and apply kumkum etc. Hey ho: didn't do that with the cars...
Old 30th December 2016, 03:23   #3055
Senior - BHPian

It'll last, I just gave a 2407 I had spare to a good friend and it's working perfectly, good as new. Is Amazon an authorised Dell sales agent? Does Dell India honour warranty on Amazon bought products? Best be sure of that before ordering.
Old 30th December 2016, 10:30   #3056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our repair company tell us that the screen unit is not currently available for my Samsung. For better or for worse (Dell service etc), I have ordered Dell U2415. It is reviewed as being the current best 16:10 24-inch monitor short of paying big money for pro graphics stuff. And it even comes with factory colour calibration.

I can find it quite a lot cheaper on the net, but for for a high-price purchase, I prefer to stick with Amazon, especially Amazon-fulfilled.

Hope it works out. And lasts at least as many years as this Samsung did (only seven or eight). Wondering if I should call my priest neighbour to squash some lemons with it, and apply kumkum etc. Hey ho: didn't do that with the cars...
I love the 1920x1200 monitors. I have two LG bought nearly nine years ago. Recently I had to change some parts in both for 3K each, but that was worth it. The full HD monitors lack the real estate of these 16:10 screens.
Old 30th December 2016, 12:19   #3057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
It'll last, I just gave a 2407 I had spare to a good friend and it's working perfectly, good as new. Is Amazon an authorised Dell sales agent? Does Dell India honour warranty on Amazon bought products? Best be sure of that before ordering.
Hope you are right that it will last! Anyway, it is too late for concerns now as it should be on its way. Of course, I'm expecting "We were unable to deliver blah blah..." so tomorrow might be a more realistic target. Whatever: we have to go out, leaving the maid on courier watch, so I am not going to miss much new-toy time if it doesn't come today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I love the 1920x1200 monitors. I have two LG bought nearly nine years ago. Recently I had to change some parts in both for 3K each, but that was worth it. The full HD monitors lack the real estate of these 16:10 screens.
Yes, I agree.

The less-tall formats are good for movie formats that suit and wide spreadsheets... and absolutely nothing else. I'll even take warranty risks to stick with this now-hard-to-get 1920*1200 format!
Old 31st December 2016, 00:40   #3058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For better or for worse (Dell service etc), I have ordered Dell U2415. ...
And it is sitting on my desk.

Things have moved on in the technical worlds, and my first surprise was how light, and how small it is. The dimensions are very close to the old Samsung 22-inch, but there is much, much less bezel, and quite a lot more screen. If I'd have realised this I might have gone for an even bigger screen size. But that would have come at an even bigger price, so it's a good thing I didn't

My desktop is heavily customised with, for instance, different brightness levels for different application windows (Compiz (Linux)). It will take a while for the new monitor and I to get everything adjusted to each other. First impressions, however, are that it is very nice.

Curiously, by the way, this his my first ever HDMI-connected device. It's connection choices are DIsplay-Port or HDMI; my card's choices are VGA, HDMI or DVI. I never had a modern (not even LCD!) TV, and never had any home-theatre equipment, so never needed HDMI.
Old 31st December 2016, 10:40   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way to get a free legal Windows 10 upgrade now? I tried doing it via assistive technologies, but the upgrade stalled.

I had to use Win 7 till now as certain programs which I was using (till now) were misbehaving with Windows 10 when I had previously used it.
Old 31st December 2016, 18:30   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Is there any way to get a free legal Windows 10 upgrade now? I tried doing it via assistive technologies, but the upgrade stalled.

I had to use Win 7 till now as certain programs which I was using (till now) were misbehaving with Windows 10 when I had previously used it.
It seems that upgrade is still possible as long as you have a valid Win 7 key

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...-product-keys/

http://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-...-10-right-now/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks