Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2017, 20:57   #3121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

What is Firefox doing to me?

The background for these occurrences will be that I am returning to tabs that I opened and looked at a while back. It has happened when trying to post to a forum page.

(following Kea Weather blog, by the way)

The page is blanked, and the page title is displayed in this "Alert" box, with no further information whatsover. This is sub-Microsoftian! There is not even an option to get help that reads "you have received an alert"

Off the top of my head, this is the suggestion from my intuition: something about the network connection to that host/server/page has changed, and Firefox is seeing a potential security problem. But this is new and only happened recently.

Environment: Firefox ESR 52.4.0 (64-bit); Linux 17.3; wired ethernet to router, wired ethernet router-to-modem.
Attached Images

Old 8th February 2018, 16:45   #3122
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I have a small requirement.

My company has about 20 PC's and growing. We do not have any need for a server until now, because all our work was being processed on google docs online.

Now, we are beginning to use Office right on the computer for certain projects.

Is there a way for me to back up all the computers regularly, such that in case there is a hard disk crash, I can ensure the data is not lost, and can be retrieved instantly?

I do not want to invest in a server, i have no networking needs. I just need office computers to be backed-up all the time for fear of a HDD crash.

Please advice?
Old 8th February 2018, 16:49   #3123
BHPian

Red, we are about the same size and have been using a NAS (network attached storage) solution from Synology. It has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years.
Old 8th February 2018, 17:25   #3124
BHPian

This is mainly a rant post pertaining to the current state of the PC market. Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for the same. Admins, kindly move/delete this post as you feel fit.

Computer parts (for building a new PC) have become so very expensive these days:

1) GST. effect. 18% for most items and 28% for monitors and printers!

2) The whole cryptomining rage and its requirement of graphics cards has sucked the market dry causing the prices to shoot up. The shop i regularly buy PC stuff from shared that even in India, some people are buying 15 GPUs at a time just for mining.

3) RAM prices are through the roof! Last i checked 30%+ increase. Some say that NASA, the NSA or some other govt. agency in US is building a giant supercomputer and have hoarded a lion's share of silicon (and some other materials) from the market pushing prices up for RAM components. Decided not to post any link here but one can google to find several relevant links.

The only good turn i can say is that Intel has finally fallen off its profiteering high horse and started churning out better value products with the 8th gen lineup (mainly because the Ryzen competition.) Although prices are nothing lower, VFM is definitely better as CPUs can now perform much better than those from last gen (mainly due to more cores/threads without drop in clock speeds) at the same price. AMD on the other is going full steam ahead on research and might actually launch their 7 nm architecture before Intel, which a first, probably since the advent of the AMD64 instruction set. On top of that, the Vega powered AMD APUs could really hammer Core i3's market because of its shocking performance at similar prices without needing an additional GPU.

Anyhoo, i hope that the market stabilizes and the prices become affordable. Good competition is always good for the consumer. Rant over

Cheers.
Old 12th February 2018, 00:17   #3125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What is Firefox doing to me?
Has this resolved now? I suspect some javascript applet from one of your opened sites, possibly an unwanted plugin/extension. Try disabling Javascript and restart Firefox, if that doesn't work, look through your extensions and plugins for any suspicious ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
This is mainly a rant post pertaining to the current state of the PC market. Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for the same. Admins, kindly move/delete this post as you feel fit.

Computer parts (for building a new PC) have become so very expensive these days:

1) GST. effect. 18% for most items and 28% for monitors and printers!

2) The whole cryptomining rage and its requirement of graphics cards has sucked the market dry causing the prices to shoot up. The shop i regularly buy PC stuff from shared that even in India, some people are buying 15 GPUs at a time just for mining.

3) RAM prices are through the roof! Last i checked 30%+ increase. Some say that NASA, the NSA or some other govt. agency in US is building a giant supercomputer and have hoarded a lion's share of silicon (and some other materials) from the market pushing prices up for RAM components. Decided not to post any link here but one can google to find several relevant links.

The only good turn i can say is that Intel has finally fallen off its profiteering high horse and started churning out better value products with the 8th gen lineup (mainly because the Ryzen competition.) Although prices are nothing lower, VFM is definitely better as CPUs can now perform much better than those from last gen (mainly due to more cores/threads without drop in clock speeds) at the same price. AMD on the other is going full steam ahead on research and might actually launch their 7 nm architecture before Intel, which a first, probably since the advent of the AMD64 instruction set. On top of that, the Vega powered AMD APUs could really hammer Core i3's market because of its shocking performance at similar prices without needing an additional GPU.

Anyhoo, i hope that the market stabilizes and the prices become affordable. Good competition is always good for the consumer. Rant over

Cheers.
I hear ya. A good midrange GPU used to be 15-16k not so long ago. Now midrange GPUs are 25-30k. I used to be able to build a decent mid-range PC for 45-50k. Now that seems to have gone up to 80-90k. The rising USD:INR rate has much to do with this though, and inflation in general (even though the western economies have slower rates, inflation still is a factor). Although AMD's newfound competent range has helped restrain Intel's profiteering, they still have left many recent customers with a goose around the neck (Skylake and Kabylake) ; the 8th gen Core processors have a new chipset Z370, which while still using 1151 pins, is not compatible with Z170 and Z270 chipset motherboards. At least it's good for new buyers, the i7 8700 gets 50% more performance via 2 extra cores for not a lot more premium over the 6700 and 7700.

That aside, I didn't see any mention on this forum about Meltdown and Spectre. Has anyone installed patches for these vulnerabilities?

Last edited by Ricci : 12th February 2018 at 00:22.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:34   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Red, we are about the same size and have been using a NAS (network attached storage) solution from Synology. It has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years.
I have been looking for a solution for my 4 computer setup and NAS looks like an option. I want a common HDD for storing files that might be worked on on different PCs. But I'm concerned about the data transfer rates, since it would be definitely slower than saving to a local HDD. Note that my file sizes range from 50MB to 1 GB.

What would the ideal solution for me?
Old 12th February 2018, 13:24   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

What would the ideal solution for me?
Large file sizes should not be a problem unless you plan to use the NAS as an active server and make it the primary storage. If you continue to use your desktop/laptop as your primary machine, the sync and backup software can keep saving on the NAS in the background. Synology has high end NAS which have much faster I/O speeds. These models may be an overkill for a 4 computer setup but you can check them out. They have a good website with comparisons that make decision making easier. Hope that helps!
Old 12th February 2018, 16:59   #3128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Has this resolved now? I suspect some javascript applet from one of your opened sites, possibly an unwanted plugin/extension. Try disabling Javascript and restart Firefox, if that doesn't work, look through your extensions and plugins for any suspicious ones.
Actually no, and when it happens, Firefox blanks all the open tabs and I have to reload them.

The only thing is, it does not happen very often, and Firefox will be exiting my life later this year anyway, so I am not putting much effort into it. But thanks for your suggestions
Old 18th February 2018, 22:15   #3129
BHPian

Here's my setup

PC Specs:
  • Processor: Intel i7 4770
  • Ram: 16gb DDR3
  • Storage: Samsung 840 Evo SSD 120gb (system), Toshiba 1tb HDD, Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD
  • GPU: Zotac Nvidia Gforce 750TI

Monitor: Benq EW2770QZ, 27" IPS 2560x1440
Keyboard: Daskeyboard 4 Professional
Mouse: Logitech G403
Speakers: Edifier R1010BT 2.0 (connected to FiiO E10k DAC and Headphone amp)
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-setup.jpg  

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 18th February 2018 at 22:24.
Old 25th February 2018, 00:07   #3130
BHPian

I just put a gaming rig together for myself in Belgium. Specs and pics for people to drool over below

Cabinet: IN WIN 303 Tempered Glass Nvidia Edition
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-P
Processor: Intel Core™ i7-8700K
Graphics Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC Gaming O11G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4266Mhz, 16 GB DDR4
Cooler: Scythe Fuma SCFM-1000
PSU: Seasonic 750W Focus Plus Gold
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M.2 250GB
HDD: WD Black™ 2TB
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
Speakers: Logitech Z906
Keyboard: Logitech G213 Prodigy Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Headset: Corsair Raptor HS40 7.1 USB Gaming Headset

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_1824.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_1827.jpg

Cheers
Old 1st March 2018, 22:13   #3131
BHPian

Re: Dell XPS 15 Specs?

How is this configuration?
This would be for professional cum personal use for a IT Pro.
Any specs/item which can be bettered? Is price competitive?
Please advise!

XPS 15
Processor: 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English
Memory: 32GB 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive: 1TB PCIe Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5
LCD: 15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
Wireless: Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
Primary Battery: 97WHr
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard, English

Price: $2159.99/-
Old 2nd March 2018, 01:18   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why not AMD RYZEN?
Incase of a GPU get a 1050TI atleast, would recommend an AMD RX 570/580 if you can find one at good price ( are mostly out of stock or available at an inflated price) or a GTX 1060 6GB.
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:40   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Why not AMD RYZEN?
Incase of a GPU get a 1050TI atleast, would recommend an AMD RX 570/580 if you can find one at good price ( are mostly out of stock or available at an inflated price) or a GTX 1060 6GB.
The question asked was for a laptop.
For an assembled desktop little else makes more sense other than Ryzen processors.
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:39   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Why not AMD RYZEN?
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
The question asked was for a laptop.
For an assembled desktop little else makes more sense other than Ryzen processors.
As such am NOT into gaming, hence the graphic processor may NOT be much used. How about the other specs? Is it in tune with time? Can it be bettered?
Old 3rd March 2018, 22:03   #3135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is this configuration?
This would be for professional cum personal use for a IT Pro.
Any specs/item which can be bettered? Is price competitive?
Please advise!

XPS 15
Processor: 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English
Memory: 32GB 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive: 1TB PCIe Solid State Drive
LCD: 15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
Wireless: Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
Primary Battery: 97WHr
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard, English

Price: $2159.99/-
It's the best in laptops as of now. The 8th gen i7s for mobile computing are out, but not the equivalent 8700HQ and the 7700HQ is better than that 8650U , albeit at higher power consumption. If battery life is important, then the 8650U might be better choice, with some 80% of the performance at 1/3rd the TDP. Can't say about the price - India prices are inflated so difficult to compare, these look like US prices and look about right for the specs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks