Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2022, 21:32   #3871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Have shortlisted the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus board. Costs around Rs.14k and should be good enough i guess.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Hope it works
Spend the extra 2K and go for B550 Tomahawk
Old 29th December 2022, 10:20   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Spend the extra 2K and go for B550 Tomahawk
I don't think I would properly use the additional specs of the Tomahawk. Any specific reason why I should get this mobo?

Oh and tried the RAM disconnection etc etc but still the same.

Just so damn frustrating.
Old 29th December 2022, 11:24   #3873
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think I would properly use the additional specs of the Tomahawk. Any specific reason why I should get this mobo?

Oh and tried the RAM disconnection etc etc but still the same.

Just so damn frustrating.
Sorry for intruding.
Your issue looks peculiar and weird. If you are getting "Insert boot disk" error, you should remove all storage devices and then try starting it. It appears like the PC has fast boot enabled and hence its skipping everything and running to load OS. (I THINK, the MOBO could be fine, but the disk is the culprit SSD/HDD)

Buying a new MOBO might not fix your issue. Because, the issue might be elsewhere. So, check everything before proceeding with a new purchase.

Try switching SSD slots/HDD slots, if you have multiple. Try removing all storage devices.

Tomahawks are almost their premium product and is supposed to be more reliable. Most MOBO's with WIFI have reported failure issues. So don't get the WIFI models (450 (high failures) & 550 series (less failures but still ..) ). Get the regular ones and spend ~ 400-800 and get a WIFI card.

On the other hand, if your MOBO really has some issue, then it could be a cheap fix, if you are interested. Either the power supply has an issue delivering consistent power or the issue could be with the power IC's on Mobo. So, i would suggest to give it a try with a local repair shop.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 11:30   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Sorry for intruding.
Your issue looks peculiar and weird. If you are getting "Insert boot disk" error, you should remove all storage devices and then try starting it. It appears like the PC has fast boot enabled and hence its skipping everything and running to load OS. (I THINK, the MOBO could be fine, but the disk is the culprit SSD/HDD)

Buying a new MOBO might not fix your issue. Because, the issue might be elsewhere. So, check everything before proceeding with a new purchase.

Try switching SSD slots/HDD slots, if you have multiple. Try removing all storage devices.

Tomahawks are almost their premium product and is supposed to be more reliable. Most MOBO's with WIFI have reported failure issues. So don't get the WIFI models (450 (high failures) & 550 series (less failures but still ..) ). Get the regular ones and spend ~ 400-800 and get a WIFI card.

On the other hand, if your MOBO really has some issue, then it could be a cheap fix, if you are interested. Either the power supply has an issue delivering consistent power or the issue could be with the power IC's on Mobo. So, i would suggest to give it a try with a local repair shop.
No intrusion

Yes, fast boot is enabled, but unable to get into bios screen during startup because the keyboard does not power up, and clearing CMOS (shorting the jumper, removing battery) did not help.

Shall give it a go once again and if it still does not help, shall give it for servicing and check.

I had raised a ticket with Gigabyte support and they have suggested reinstalling the processor as it will reset everything or else to give it for repair as it may be only a small fault.

So to do:
1) Try m2 in another slot and check
2) Remove all other HDDs
3) Reinstall Processor
4) Abandon all hope and give it to the service center

Last edited by Aditya : 29th December 2022 at 18:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 09:54   #3875
BHPian

Posting on behalf of someone else: SOmeone died and they had an old WIndows desktop. Passwrods to get into the computer are not available. How do they get into the computer?

Cheers
Old 30th December 2022, 10:57   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Posting on behalf of someone else: SOmeone died and they had an old WIndows desktop. Passwrods to get into the computer are not available. How do they get into the computer?
Cheers
My Condolences!

Direct login: Not possible, if it is latest windows machine.
Hacking: I don't think, you can get it legally done. And it might not work in india. You can give it a try, but odds are < 50.

Purpose:
- If you are after using the machine, get it Reformatted and you can use it. No complications.
- If you are after accessing files, you can pull out the hdd/ssd (If hdd/ssd is not soldered onto Motherboard) and connect it to another windows machine as a secondary drive. change bios settings accordingly. Once done, you can access the files on the second machine. Most of the files will be accessible, unless the late gentlemen has encrypted his disks.

Last edited by Mustang_Boss : 30th December 2022 at 11:01. Reason: Adding value
Mustang_Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 11:14   #3877
Senior - BHPian

Ok, small update.

Thanks to your tips, I disconnected all the HDDs (1 SSD and 2 HDDs) and installed the NVMe in another slot.

Doing that, system is online initially and I am able to get into BIOS and the USB devices are also getting power. So that thankfully rules out the motherboard failure part (I hope).

But the NVMe is not showing up in the list of devices in BIOS. I have to check the settings and see, or at the worst maybe I am looking at a failure of that device which is less painful on the pocket.

Shall update.

Thanks for all your help
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 11:50   #3878
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, small update.

Thanks to your tips, I disconnected all the HDDs (1 SSD and 2 HDDs) and installed the NVMe in another slot.

Doing that, system is online initially and I am able to get into BIOS and the USB devices are also getting power. So that thankfully rules out the motherboard failure part (I hope).

But the NVMe is not showing up in the list of devices in BIOS. I have to check the settings and see, or at the worst maybe I am looking at a failure of that device which is less painful on the pocket.

Shall update.
Good to hear that. Now coming to reality, Your NVME is Toast .
A bad apple is a bad apple. Even if the old SSD works after some tweaking, don't use it. Claim warranty and get a new one.

File for a Warranty claim for NVME (Most manufacturers give 5 year warranty) and use something else in the meanwhile.

Cheers,
B

Last edited by Mustang_Boss : 30th December 2022 at 11:52.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 12:07   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To troubleshoot this, you can get an NVME to USB adapter and see if NVMe is recognised as usb storage device.

Somethng like : https://www.amazon.in/ZORBES%C2%AE-A...dp/B0B3DTWQ9Q/
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 12:12   #3880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that. Now coming to reality, Your NVME is Toast
A bad apple is a bad apple. Even if the old SSD works after some tweaking, don't use it. Claim warranty and get a new one.

File for a Warranty claim for NVME (Most manufacturers give 5 year warranty) and use something else in the meanwhile.

Cheers,
B
Such is reality, often. One last thread of hope I am hanging onto here in office. I hope that the nvme m2 is disabled in bios (after I reset it) and I get back home and enable it and voila it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
To troubleshoot this, you can get an NVME to USB adapter and see if NVMe is recognised as usb storage device.
That's an expensive troubleshooter considering a new 200GB nvme would be slightly more than 2k bucks
Old 30th December 2022, 14:18   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
My Condolences!

Direct login: Not possible, if it is latest windows machine.
Hacking: I don't think, you can get it legally done. And it might not work in india. You can give it a try, but odds are < 50.

Purpose:
- If you are after using the machine, get it Reformatted and you can use it. No complications.
- If you are after accessing files, you can pull out the hdd/ssd (If hdd/ssd is not soldered onto Motherboard) and connect it to another windows machine as a secondary drive. change bios settings accordingly. Once done, you can access the files on the second machine. Most of the files will be accessible, unless the late gentlemen has encrypted his disks.
Thank you for the prompt and helpful response.

No, it is not running any new Windows, it is ancient, maybe XP or maybe 7 I suppose.

Howwver, the idea is not to login but merely look at the files, which like you pointed out, can be done by removing the drive, so I shall tell them to do that, thank you once again

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 14:32   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
No, it is not running any new Windows, it is ancient, maybe XP or maybe 7 I suppose.
If is it Windows XP, then you can bypass and reset the password easily.

See this answer on Microsoft.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 15:55   #3883
BHPian

Quote:
Howwver, the idea is not to login but merely look at the files, which like you pointed out, can be done by removing the drive, so I shall tell them to do that, thank you once again
No need to remove the drive. Make a Linux bootable USB thumb drive, boot using it and you can access the drives and files.

There are more than 200 Linux Distros (kind of variants/flavors of Linux OS) which may confuse you. So I would suggest Linux Mint which is most preferred distro for someone new to the Linux world.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 17:06   #3884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
No need to remove the drive. Make a Linux bootable USB thumb drive, boot using it and you can access the drives and files.
Beyond a certain age, machines might not boot from a usb thumb drive. But, at that age, they probably have optical media drives, and a DVD can be made with the bootable Linux image.

I agree about Linux Mint. I would: I use it
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 22:00   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Standard process for most data recovery companies. If data is important, have them recover it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks