Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 15:18   #3751
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I am now keen on buying a integrated cpu GPU like amd 5700g. Could replace my aug 20 ryzen 7 3700x.
A wise decision if you don't need the additional graphics horsepower. GPU prices are absolutely crazy right now. There's no respite on the horizon either.

If you can hold out a little longer, the next gen APUs that AMD is going to release (code named Rembrandt) will have RDNA 2 graphics built in instead of their age old Vega graphics architecture. That should be a significant step up for an integrated GPU.

Expected to possibly be announced in Q1 2022.

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2021 at 18:48. Reason: As requested
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 16:14   #3752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
A wise decision if you don't need the additional graphics horsepower. GPU prices are absolutely crazy right now. There's no respite on the horizon either.

If you can hold out a little longer, the next gen APUs that AMD is going to release (code named Rembrandt) will have RDNA 2 graphics built in instead of their age old Vega graphics architecture. That should be a significant step up for an integrated GPU.

Expected to possibly be announced in Q1 2022.

Cheers
I have used discrete GPUs since 2007. From 2009, CPUs with no GPUs. Even GPUs that were high end then eg 970, 770. But I have zero gaming and use GPU only for display. So from around 2019, I saw the senselessness of wasting money on decent GPU and bought a 1660Super in 2019. Undortunately in 2020, water fell from table to PC cabinet through during Covid WFH and it got bad. So had to buy a 1660Ti for 24000. That looked high at the time for that GPU when 2060 was 33000. Now 2060 is 65K+. If I lose my GPU again, I am not spending 30,000+ on GPU for just the display portion. Perhaps sell my Ryzen 7 and buy 5700G with IGPU. Much cheaper than buying a discrete GPU. IGPU will suffice or just the cheapest GPU that has display port and HDMI. DP is important as I have a 10-bit Eizo CS monitor. I presume if I have no gaming but some routine mkv encoding etc, discrete GPU wont matter??. I have a 8 core Ryzen 7 3700x, NVME, and 32Gb RAM. Why spend on GPU. Better to spend on other components or put it in bank.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2021 at 18:48. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 29th November 2021, 19:49   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
IGPU will suffice or just the cheapest GPU that has display port and HDMI. DP is important as I have a 10-bit Eizo CS monitor. I presume if I have no gaming but some routine mkv encoding etc, discrete GPU wont matter?
Based on your usage, it sounds like you don't need a dedicated GPU.
  1. Your display output is not dependent on a dedicated GPU. You can get a motherboard which has both a DP & HDMI output which would work directly from an iGPU. I'm not sure what motherboard you're using now, but an example of such a motherboard with those display outputs would be the MSI B550 Tomahawk.
  2. MKV encoding is probably being done on your CPU. Can you check and confirm that?

Do you have any other use cases for which you think you need a dedicated GPU? If not, you can probably make a sizeable profit from selling your 1660 Ti which along with the sale of your 3700X (and possibly motherboard) might completely cover the cost of the change you have in mind.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 20:02   #3754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on your usage, it sounds like you don't need a dedicated GPU.
  1. Your display output is not dependent on a dedicated GPU. You can get a motherboard which has both a DP & HDMI output which would work directly from an iGPU. I'm not sure what motherboard you're using now, but an example of such a motherboard with those display outputs would be the MSI B550 Tomahawk.
  2. MKV encoding is probably being done on your CPU. Can you check and confirm that?

Do you have any other use cases for which you think you need a dedicated GPU? If not, you can probably make a sizeable profit from selling your 1660 Ti which along with the sale of your 3700X (and possibly motherboard) might completely cover the cost of the change you have in mind.

Cheers
Will this help. I am finicky on display and have invested 1.3 lakh on an eizo monitor and a xrite colorimeter. Pure white, uniform colors. But since this is 10 bit colour, DP is essential. DP is usually standard on all decent Mobo and any modest priced GPU.
My motherboards are usually in upper range as they have more. For my present ryzen 7 3700x, I have a gigabyte x570 aur9s ultra. Not too expensive, but has what I need.
My usage is mainly office, mkv thru mkvtoolnix, 7 zip type. Mainly productivity, no gaming.
Given how igpu have progressed, I presume any 2021 igpu of 25000 to 35000 rs should be more than plenty for me. Plus be better maybe than say nvidia 770 or 970. Those did it for me in last decade.
What would you say. Do I need to plonk money into discrete GPU. Earlier, I was younger and rash with money. Now I am 55 and conservative. But still willing to spend if it makes a difference. No spending at all for bragging rights.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st December 2021 at 12:38. Reason: 2 smileys max please :)
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 20:37   #3755
BHPian

Quote:
Will this help
I'm going to answer your post in parts.

Quote:
I am finicky on display and have invested 1.3 lakh on an eizo monitor and a xrite colorimeter. Pure white, uniform colors. But since this is 10 bit colour, DP is essential. DP is usually standard on all decent Mobo and any modest priced GPU.
I understand your requirement. 10-bit video output should be possible through any GPU of the current generations regardless of whether it is internal or dedicated. It's only 10-bit rendering that you need a dedicated GPU for, and then it would be from the professional GPU lineup, not the consumer GPUs. My understanding is you don't do rendering work.

Unfortunately, it looks like your motherboard (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra) doesn't have a DP output based on what I could find online. Can you check the I/O panel in the back to confirm this?

Picture from online for reference:
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-x570aorusultra_1200x1200_iojpg.jpg

Quote:
My motherboards are usually in upper range as they have more.
That's generally a good thing, except in some exceptional cases - the MSI X570 Gaming Edge comes to mind.

The main difference between X570 & B550 is the additional 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes through the chipset - unless you need to run a PCIe 4.0 SSD in the 2nd M.2 slot on the motherboard, you don't need an X570 board. A PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe drive will work for most people.

Quote:
My usage is mainly office, mkv thru mkvtoolnix, 7 zip type. Mainly productivity, no gaming.
Those are all productivity workloads that are dependent on the CPU, not the GPU.

Quote:
Given how igpu have progressed, I presume any 2021 igpu of 25000 to 35000 rs should be more than plenty for me. Plus be better maybe than say nvidia 770 or 970. Those did it for me in last decade.
I would agree with you on the first part. Since you only need a display output, any iGPU of the current generation seems to fulfill that requirement.

I would strongly disagree with the second part. The iGPUs of today are not even close to comparable with the GTX 770 or 970. Those GPUs can still offer some gaming performance today. Gaming on an iGPU is probably best reserved for people who can't/don't want to afford anything better.

Quote:
What would you say. Do I need to plonk money into discrete GPU. Earlier, I was younger and rash with money. Now I am 55 and conservative. But still willing to spend if it makes a difference. No spending at all for bragging rights.
I would say that your line of thought makes perfect sense. Change to an APU since you primarily run productivity workloads, get rid of the dedicated GPU since it's no longer needed - you can reduce heat output + power consumption of your system as an added bonus. Just be aware that the 5700G is not a big upgrade over the 3700X, that's why I recommended holding out a bit longer earlier.

Hope I was able to answer all your questions.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 29th November 2021 at 20:51.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 20:51   #3756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to answer your post in parts.
Thanks for everything. I just built it last year so no hurry to upgrade, unless of course I pour water again on my GPU. Next time, I will look for an igpu. Maybe usb type c or thunderbolt. Main point is 10 bit display. I get it on dp only not hdmi. there are newer usb type c or thunderbolt, etc that allow to dp or 10bit. Eizo has dp, hdmi, dvi. Nvidia 1660ti has dp, hdmi. So all good. No point in paying for a 10 bit display and hooking to a 8 bit hdmi. Eizo monitor is the highlight of my system, makes it all worthwhile, aand such a pleasure to work. After all what is the point in spending on high end components and then get to see it on a poor, out of whack colors.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st December 2021 at 12:39. Reason: Shortening quoted text, so as not to inconvenience small-screen viewers.
Old 20th December 2021, 22:26   #3757
Distinguished - BHPian

Today my PC suddenly started throwing garbage in the display with random squares and in all possible manners. I use a dual monitor setup powered by an MSI Graphics card based on NV 1050Ti. Its just 3.5 years old whereas the motherboard processor is close to a decade old IIRC. When I plugged the monitor to the on board graphics, it had the same issue for a few minutes after which it got resolved but when using the graphics card, only one monitor is powered and it has garbage on the screen. I tried reinstalling the GPU drivers but no use. Is my GPU shot or is it an issue with the motherboard? If it was purely the GPU at fault why did the issue persist on the On board graphics as well? When I switched to on board, the screen resolution was also not native to the monitor but after a few minutes things came to normal on the single monitor connected. Considering the high prices of computer components, I'm really in a mess now and can't do without the desktop. If it's the motherboard I would be okay to replace since it's served me a long time and took quite some use and abuse. But graphics card going bad would be annoying. Have handed it over to my regular computer shop but would welcome some info or suggestions. An image for reference

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-d6abf724e7834334b4b80ecbd75e19fc.jpeg

Last edited by audioholic : 20th December 2021 at 22:29.
Old 20th December 2021, 22:41   #3758
Senior - BHPian

For troubleshooting, remove graphics card physically from PC and test only with on-board graphics. Does that fix the issue ?

Last edited by Aditya : 21st December 2021 at 05:21. Reason: Spelling
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 23:48   #3759
BHPian

Shouldn't you first try dusting the RAM & PCI Express (GPU) slots?

Many times it's an easy fix in these issues. All it takes is to unplugging the RAM & GPU, cleaning them & specially the slots and then reinstall them to check

Thanks
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:23   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Today my PC suddenly started throwing garbage in the display with random squares and in all possible manners. I use a dual monitor setup powered by an MSI Graphics card based on NV 1050Ti. .................
Attachment 2247857
Most probably it is graphics card. I had two installed and when one started packing up it started displaying garbage.

Just take it out and connect the monitor to either another card or to the onboard display to verify.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:32   #3761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Just take it out and connect the monitor to either another card or to the onboard display to verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For troubleshooting, remove graphics card physically from PC and test only with on-board graphics. Does that fix the issue ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Shouldn't you first try dusting the RAM & PCI Express (GPU) slots?
Thank you for the suggestions. Without the graphics card plugged in, it did work fine after the initial few minutes of garbage display. I dont know what got fixed in this interval.

The graphics card had dust on its upper surface and this was the first thing I did after removing it from the case, to clean it up with a brush and after reinstalling the problem was back. However I did not dust the RAM slots.

I handed over the CPU to my computer guy and he suspects its the NVRAM of the graphics card which is faulty. But I still await his final diagnosis. With a shot graphics card, it really has annoyed me since this is the first computer component that has failed with me while the rest have always been replaced after a good age.
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:24   #3762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I handed over the CPU to my computer guy and he suspects its the NVRAM of the graphics card which is faulty. But I still await his final diagnosis. With a shot graphics card, it really has annoyed me since this is the first computer component that has failed with me while the rest have always been replaced after a good age.
You can rule out the motherboard by installing the graphics card on another board that supports it.

I had a similar problem with Nvidia XFX 8800GT and it turned out to be a shot card. It lasted for around 6 years before conking off. Not acceptable like you said. Got a cheap Zotac card which was backward compatible with the old motherboard PCI slot
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:34   #3763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can rule out the motherboard by installing the graphics card on another board that supports it.

I had a similar problem with Nvidia XFX 8800GT and it turned out to be a shot card. It lasted for around 6 years before conking off. Not acceptable like you said. Got a cheap Zotac card which was backward compatible with the old motherboard PCI slot
Forgot to update on this matter. I got back the computer yesterday and my PC guy said the moment they started the PC, everything was running fine. I also have been using it from yesterday but it is running fine since then.

So I have no idea why this happened and what got fixed on the way to the shop which is not even a kilometer away and was ferried in my car without any bumps. Just relieved that I didnt have to buy a new graphics card.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 11:14   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to update on this matter. I got back the computer yesterday and my PC guy said the moment they started the PC, everything was running fine. I also have been using it from yesterday but it is running fine since then.

So I have no idea why this happened and what got fixed on the way to the shop which is not even a kilometer away and was ferried in my car without any bumps. Just relieved that I didnt have to buy a new graphics card.
Must be dust + loose connection.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 11:47   #3765
BHPian

Quote:
Today my PC suddenly started throwing garbage in the display with random squares and in all possible manners.
The same situation becomes even more scarier when it happens with the notebooks.

When tried my hands at an old laptop with the same issues , the culprit was found to be the loose connection and dust (the service guy had asked me to change the complete display )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks