Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 10:30   #3661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
You have to be careful here - Most consumer motherboards claim support for ECC RAM but that only means ECC RAM will run not that ECC will be used. If going for a modern AMD desktop then only a prebuilt vendor system with RYZEN PRO CPU will have an ECC memory controller. I would recommend a rethink on the no-SSD part - at least for the boot drive.
For ECC to work all the three component should support it
. RAM
. MB
. CPU

As such in most server and workstation boards ECC is supported by Xeon CPU only (and its AMD equivalent). All other Intel CPU do not support ECC function.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 08:44   #3662
BHPian

I am planning to get a PC for my second son who has been using a tablet for his school till now. The idea is to get a him a desktop rather than a laptop. So obviously, the need is not for any high end gaming system, but a simple basic desktop with a good monitor. I am tending to not go the AIO route, because then I cannot expand this system when the need arises.
Can you suggest a good basic configuration for zoom/teams purpose as primary and some programming work (android, visual studio etc) as a secondary need? The secondary need is for me when i cannot do those on my office laptop. There is no specific budget in mind, but in my mind I am thinking 30 to 40k. Cheaper the better.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:32   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Can you suggest a good basic configuration for zoom/teams purpose as primary and some programming work (android, visual studio etc) as a secondary need?
I suggest taking a look at the 8th gen Intel NUC. However, this will require you to procure and assemble every component that you'd require, namely RAM, storage, keyboard, mouse and an OS.

You can take a look at NUC8i3BEH which is available for around 20k. The rest of the components will cost like:
1. 8gb DDR4 RAM: ~4.5k
2. 512gb NVME SSD: ~5k
3. 24inch monitor: ~10k
4. KB + Mouse combo: ~1k
5. OS: Free (Assuming Linux)

For around 10k more, you can also get the 11th gen i5 NUC, but then you are inching closer to the Mac mini price point, albeit with student discounting.

In around 40k, you'll have a decent setup for the tasks at hand.
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:05   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post
In around 40k, you'll have a decent setup for the tasks at hand.
Thank you. I have no problem assembling it myself. I almost would love to, and relive my engineering days 2 decades back where I not only assembled mine but a bunch of friends pc's too.

The OS would have to windows as my kids are not yet familiar with Linux. The school projects also use some tools like office. I have used teams on Linux but frankly it seems a little experimental as yet. So I don't want to take chances with Linux on a primary machine. With that background any suggestions on where to buy Windows as I see rampant websites selling windows for even 500, which obviously borders on shady if not completely illegal.
Old 14th June 2021, 12:14   #3665
BHPian

I got this last week for my office use. Core i3-10100 with 8gb ram, 1tb, windows and ms office included for 32.5k.

https://www.amazon.in/HP-Slim-Deskto.../dp/B091TV1G52

You can get a monitor and webcam for the remaining budget.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:07   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I have no problem assembling it myself. I almost would love to, and relive my engineering days 2 decades back where I not only assembled mine but a bunch of friends pc's too.

The OS would have to windows as my kids are not yet familiar with Linux. The school projects also use some tools like office. I have used teams on Linux but frankly it seems a little experimental as yet. So I don't want to take chances with Linux on a primary machine. With that background any suggestions on where to buy Windows as I see rampant websites selling windows for even 500, which obviously borders on shady if not completely illegal.
Just download windows from MS site and use it. You should be able to use most of the basic features with the unregistered version. The costlier part comes for the Office apps.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:17   #3667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
where to buy Windows...
Three options :
  1. Direct from Microsoft (Most expensive at 10k)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/d/wi...e/d76qx4bznwk4
  2. Reputable online shops (8k to 10k)
    https://mdcomputers.in/microsoft-32-...s-10-home.html
  3. OEM Versions that are sold on Amazon / Flipkart / Local PC Dealers (around 4k).
    https://www.amazon.in/Windows-10-Hom...dp/B08CN5887S/
    Limitation : Cannot use it on a different PC in future (Not enforced currently).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:25   #3668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used teams on Linux but frankly it seems a little experimental as yet.
I don't think it can be called experimental. You have a wide choice of desktops and all the big names at least will be at least as stable as Windows. The choice itself is seen as a downside by many, because they don't want to try out different systems (fair enough: one has to get on with the work) and make that decision.

I've been a happy Linux user for a decade, and wish I'd made the switch five to ten years earlier. But I don't have school/work issues to be concerned with: I have no idea what the current state of document compatibility between (eg) Libre and Office is. Probably, pretty good. But pretty good may not be good enough if switching between one and the other is daily thing and something breaks.

I detest Libre Office. But the reason I detest it is that I found it to be like Office... but worse!

One can be sure of one thing. Microsoft will always make sure that it never feels like the right time to turn away from it!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 17:03   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Finally got the following 2 days ago:
1. B450 motherboard - ASRock Pro 4
2. Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
3. 16 GB Ram - single stick
4. Graphics card - GTX1660 Super.
5. 650 Watts Cooler Master modular PSU 80+ gold rated
6. Case Cooler master 501LRGB. 3100+
7. M.2 SSD 512 GB
Update - I have sold the above system as I wasn't able to work with Windows. My workflow involved Hevc videos and Heic images captured from an iPhone / iPad which windows didn't handle very well.

Lost about 10k on the same, but I'm happy it wasn't more. I'm now waiting for 2nd gen Apple Silicone. The M1 with its cap of 16gb ram could cause an issue later so not going for that. Given my track record, I expect the new machine to last me well over 10 years, so need something that can be upgradable over time - could be via external accessories as well.
Old 14th June 2021, 21:13   #3670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Hevc videos and Heic images captured from an iPhone / iPad
Do you use similar software on Mac (like Adobe family of tools) ?
Old 15th June 2021, 00:21   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do you use similar software on Mac (like Adobe family of tools) ?
Yes Premier Pro and Photoshop, but I might make the switch to FCP soon (based on future Mac's processors). The workflow issue was due to no easy way of getting windows to import the files from the iPhone / iPad directly. This was super slow especially with files sizes of over 4GB per 10 minute of footage.

Plus, having familiarity with Mac might have been the issue as well. I was just not willing to spend the time to learn a new OS from scratch.
Old 15th June 2021, 08:21   #3672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have no idea what the current state of document compatibility between (eg) Libre and Office is. Probably, pretty good. !
Well, Microsoft has really killed it with office. More so with such a beautiful compatibility across the desktop and cloud versions, it's so seamless especially if adopted across organization's. Many times I tried to use libre office and ended up sorely missing things I use. The last I used was a few years ago - so unless things have changed much I can say that Office is a sure winner here.

However it really depends on what is necessary and what one can do without. For simple things like spreadsheets, etc.. works great. For more complex pivots etc, it does not work well.

If this had been for me, I would have wholeheartedly got a Linux system as I am a Linux developer for over a decade. So I am quite comfortable with Linux and tools in linux. I also tried to introduce it to my kids on an older laptop, but they did not take to it much. I don't know if it's because it was just a slow PC or because they were not yet comfortable with Linux. So all this makes me feel it's best to start with Linux as a secondary machine and not primary for usecase s that are not well known - for example teams and zoom have apps on Linux- how good is their support on it? I don't know. They have excellent support for Android/iOS/Windows though.
My kids school bundles office 365 along with the teams subscription taht the school has taken during the pandemic. This allows me to get office also, which will not work well in Linux. There is a software called wine in Linux that can be used to run win32 programs on Linux, but it won't be optimal. And the kids are expected to use the office tools like word docs, make powerpoint slides etc.

As you said MS has done a lot to keep people stuck to their ecosystem!!!
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 16:16   #3673
BHPian

My new Lenono AIO has this problem of disconnecting wifi every 15-20 minutes and none of the solutions like updating of drivers etc seems to work. Is there any solution for this problem that appears to be common to a lot of AIOs?
Old 15th June 2021, 16:44   #3674
BHPian

Quote:
With that background any suggestions on where to buy Windows as I see rampant websites selling windows for even 500, which obviously borders on shady if not completely illegal.
I got Windows 10 OEM version for 2000 rupees on Amazon. I also got MS Office 2016 home and student version for Rs 2900. I have used it on home PC for few months so far. Both are functioning well at the moment. Both are supposed to be perpetual license.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 17:01   #3675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

With that background any suggestions on where to buy Windows as I see rampant websites selling windows for even 500, which obviously borders on shady if not completely illegal.
The cheap Windows 10 OS that are sold are pilferaged OEM licenses. They work fine on a single machine since they are tied to the MAC address and the BIOS serial. If you buy and install one of them on a laptop/desktop and if your motherboard goes bad then the license will not work on a new board. You have to purchase a new one. However, considering the low cost, it should not be too much of bother. These licenses are not exactly illegal but they are not meant for retail sale.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks