Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 18:09   #3691
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I do have an old coolermaster psu somewhere. Shall try with it and see if it works.
That's great. Let us know the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What would be a decent mid range PSU?
For the build you have, you frankly don't need a 650w PSU unless you have plans to significantly upgrade the CPU & GPU, which I suspect you don't.

I would recommend the Corsair CV450 or Cooler Master MWE 450. Both are 450w 80 Plus Bronze rated and priced around the same, but the Cooler Master gives you a 5-year warranty vs the 3-year warranty of the Corsair. Quality should be the same pretty much, so life expectancy of one wouldn't be more than the other, but in general Corsair is better.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:21   #3692
BHPian

I have a PC running Windows 10- 64 bit and has Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz processor. Currently it is using 4GB RAM with capability of increasing it to 16 GB.
I need to boost it to 8 GB RAM.

Is there any way to know that which type of RAM like DDR3 or DDR4 and suitable clock speed will work out?
Old 19th August 2021, 12:46   #3693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Is there any way to know that which type of RAM like DDR3 or DDR4 and suitable clock speed will work out?
Read the manual!* And you probably would have done if you had one... so the next thing is to find the motherboard on its manufacturer's website, and check the specifications. Usually, one can download the manual. Look for a link called "support" on the motherboard page, or enter its model in the support section of the manufacturer's site. You may also notice things like newer BIOS versions available for download: if you have no issues with the machine, it is safer to leave that alone**.

I just moved on from a DDR3 motherboard to a DDR4 one, but I didn't do the build, so don't really know if one can tell at a glance which the slot is. Answer from someone else please?

*There's a four-letter abbreviation, but I'm being polite

**Asus actually says this on their support pages. Paraphrased, "If you don't need to update your BIOS, don't." Good for them!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th August 2021 at 12:53.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:50   #3694
BHPian

Quote:
I have a PC running Windows 10- 64 bit and has Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz processor. Currently it is using 4GB RAM with capability of increasing it to 16 GB.
I need to boost it to 8 GB RAM.

Download and install CPU-Z. When you run it go to SPD tab like below:

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-cpuzmem.jpg

There it should show the current ram frequency and type. Then you can find ram that has similar frequency. You should get same or higher frequency as if you get a lower one the original will be clocked down to match it. Similarly if you get a higher frequency ram it will run at lower frequency of your original ram. Unless you overclock and manually set the ram clocks.

Edit: you might have to change slot # depending on the slot where the original ram is installed.

Last edited by AnandB : 19th August 2021 at 12:54.
AnandB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:14   #3695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Download and install CPU-Z
Done. Thanks. This is the result of the same. For both the slots its same information. So If I have to change the RAM for both slots, suppose of 4 GB each then I will have to select one with the speed of 800 MHz or more right?

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-whatsapp-image-20210819-2.11.22-pm.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2021 at 19:09. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
roamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:19   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Done. Thanks. This is the result of the same. For both the slots its same information. So If I have to change the RAM for both slots, suppose of 4 GB each then I will have to select one with the speed of 800 MHz or more right?
Do you want to replace both the 2gb ram modules? Also how many slots does your motherboard have? Can you send screenshot of of the mainboard tab in cpu-z? As if you want to replace old ram you will have to check how much ram frequency your cpu and motherboard can support.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:40   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Do you want to replace both the 2gb ram modules?
Yes, looking to upgrade it to 8GB. As I remember there are 2 slots. Here's the screenshot as you mentioned.
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-whatsapp-image-20210819-2.38.13-pm.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2021 at 19:10. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
Old 19th August 2021, 16:47   #3698
BHPian

Quote:
You are running PC3-12800 - DDR3-1600mhz. So can look for the same. DDR3-1333mhz should work fine too.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 23:10   #3699
BANNED

I need a new graphics card. I am considering 1050ti. Which one of these should I get - Zotac, Colourful, Gigabyte. Zotac is about 3k cheaper than Gigabyte.

Also, Quadro T600 and T1000 both 4gb ddr6 are almost in the same price range. Tech sites are calling them mobile gpus. Will these tend to heat or perform lesser than regular sized cards? Can’t find much reviews on these.
Old 27th September 2021, 04:09   #3700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I need a new graphics card
They are called mobile gpu's cause they are basically crammed into a tight space and are meant for portable devices. They take less power and perform a little less than their full blown variants. This should not in any way deter your purchase of a mobile workstation. They are still grunty enough for complex workloads. Yeah they do run hot but only when you stress them out.

The card of choice will depend on what you want to do with it. The 1050Ti belongs to the more popular Gaming or Ge Force series. The Quadro is for Professional workstation based loads. If you're going to do a lot of Maya, Katana, Nuke Eddy, Redshift based real time rendering, you want a Quadro.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 09:10   #3701
BANNED

Thanks. I forgot to mention, I’ll be using it for work only, in Blender and will use it for rendering where possible.
I have a full size cabinet - Corsair 400R, with extra fans. But the card getting heated up fast (due to small size) and restricting its performance was a concern. It draws a mere 40watts.

But thanks. I’ll think over it.
Old 29th September 2021, 09:21   #3702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Thanks. I forgot to mention, I’ll be using it for work only, in Blender and will use it for rendering where possible.
Here are the hardware requirements for Blender.

I was under the impression that you were after a mobile workstation. Its now clear that you want to buy a gpu card that uses a mobile gpu based chip and installed in a desktop/workstation. I would not worry about the card running hot in this case. Its a different ball game when its crammed into a laptop.

As long as there are no signs of the gpu card running hot, you don't need extra fans.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:40   #3703
BANNED

I have ordered the T600. Couldn’t delay the decision any longer.

It was a budget issue. My older card stopped working. So within my budget I had 2 options full size 1050ti, or the newer T600 (being referred to as mobile gpu).
T600 is cheaper too.
Old 6th October 2021, 18:08   #3704
BHPian

Hi.

Does anyone do any sort of emulation here? Such as PCSX2, RPCS3, PPSSPP and all?

If anyone does, how would you think it would run on a RTX 3050Ti? Paired with a Ryzen 9 5900HX?
Old 7th October 2021, 21:54   #3705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Hi.

PCSX2, RPCS3, PPSSPP on a RTX 3050Ti? Paired with a Ryzen 9 5900HX?
Laptop CPUs are always a hit or miss when it comes to emulators. This one being top of the line, might be able to brute force through RPCS3 but at the cost of heat. There should not be any issues running PCSX2 and PPSSPP.

Based on the CPU frequency and cache, it seems to be equivalent to Ryzen 5 3600 desktop CPU. You can check out RPCS3 performance on that, to get a baseline idea. Again, heat is the main concern here.

As for GPU, it should be fine as other than CEMU and Xenia, not many emulators are able to utilize GPUs that much. Bottlenecks are usually at the CPU.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks