Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2021, 19:04   #3676
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded my rig sometime ago, but was too lazy to post the update

Here are the changes made:

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-updated-rig.png
  • PSU: I intend to replace the PSU with a 1000w one to support a more powerful GPU, but I want a Platinum Corsair i-series one and they're currently totally out of stock here.
  • GPU: The GPU was the best I could get my hands on at the time in March 2021. This is not the GPU I want or intend to keep in my build, but I will wait for the prices to reduce to more sane levels before upgrading.
  • Headset: I'm not crazy about the headset, even though I hardly use it unless I'm playing a multiplayer game. I will upgrade to a nice wireless one when I feel like it though.

The PC is now an absolute monster. Let me know if you have any questions

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 21st June 2021 at 19:10.
Joxster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 23:08   #3677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
[*]GPU: The GPU was the best I could get my hands on at the time in March 2021. This is not the GPU I want or intend to keep in my build, but I will wait for the prices to reduce to more sane levels before upgrading.
Wow that's an amazing upgrade Getting a 3070 at this time of the year is an achievement by itself. I wonder what GPU you will upgrade to when prices drop to normal levels !

I also have the Z906, its high time Logitech releases an update for its flagship gaming speaker system, and hopefully this time for the better (and not what happened during Z5500 -> Z906 )
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 23:22   #3678
BHPian

I sold my 3090 FE i bought for 1.35 for 2.25 about 1 month back on olx. It was/is a crazy market and that was too good a deal to pass on. Now without pc gaming since then but will wait till the rates go back to normal.

Last edited by AnandB : 2nd July 2021 at 23:23.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:04   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Getting a 3070 at this time of the year is an achievement by itself. I wonder what GPU you will upgrade to when prices drop to normal levels !
No comments yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Its high time Logitech releases an update for its flagship gaming speaker system, and hopefully this time for the better (and not what happened during Z5500 -> Z906 )
Couldn't agree more. The Z906 is really old now as well. I guess their biggest market now is peripherals and webcams. Hopefully, they decide to refresh their speaker line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I sold my 3090 FE i bought for 1.35 for 2.25 about 1 month back on olx. It was/is a crazy market and that was too good a deal to pass on. Now without pc gaming since then but will wait till the rates go back to normal.
I had a GTX 1660S that I had bought temporarily for around 230 EUR which I sold to someone for 500 EUR during the peak crazy pricing. Just bonkers!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:48   #3680
BHPian

I have a old Desktop, assembled some 8 years ago and is working well without any issue. Upgraded to SSD and also the GPU couple of years back. Current configurations are i5-3450, Asus P8Z77M Pro MB, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeoForce GTX 750 Ti (2GB), 650 W SMPS

The GPU is running out of breath for Red Dead Redemption 2 and my son want to upgrade. The recommended GPU for this game is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

Will the other configurations supports the GPU upgrade or the MB and CPU also needs to be upgraded? As per the specs, the MB supports 2 x PCIe x16 v3.0 - which matches with the GPU spec. Please share your expert opinion.

Note: This PC will be used only for another 2 years and will be sold after that, so want to minimize the cost

Last edited by r_devakumar : 3rd July 2021 at 10:52. Reason: Added note
Old 3rd July 2021, 20:01   #3681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Current configurations are i5-3450, Asus P8Z77M Pro MB, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeoForce GTX 750 Ti (2GB), 650 W SMPS. The GPU is running out of breath for Red Dead Redemption 2 and my son want to upgrade. The recommended GPU for this game is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.
There will not be any compatibility issues at all. You can put a GTX 1060 into this build, but unless you can get it at a sensible price, I'm not sure it will make sense. The CPU is also a bit of a bottleneck and will be even more so with a better GPU, but performance should still be almost double at 1080p with the upgrade from a 750 Ti to a 1060 6GB.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:55   #3682
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to assemble a desktop computer. The primary purpose will be daughter's online classes but may be used for some browsing, playing videos, not so resource intensive gaming etc. I have given thought for a laptop but as we already have all other components (monitor, UPS, keyboard, mouse and webcam) for the desktop, I am inclined to go for a desktop. I would like to limit the budget to ₹25K and will need 8 GB RAM, around 500 GB SSD, WiFi adapter, small mic/speaker etc. Any suggestion on configuration/parts? I plan to visit SP Road, Bengaluru next weekend to get the parts.

Last edited by airbus : 12th July 2021 at 13:56.
Old 12th July 2021, 18:54   #3683
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I am planning to assemble a desktop computer. The primary purpose will be daughter's online classes but may be used for some browsing, playing videos, not so resource intensive gaming etc. I have given thought for a laptop but as we already have all other components (monitor, UPS, keyboard, mouse and webcam) for the desktop, I am inclined to go for a desktop. I would like to limit the budget to ₹25K and will need 8 GB RAM, around 500 GB SSD, WiFi adapter, small mic/speaker etc. Any suggestion on configuration/parts? I plan to visit SP Road, Bengaluru next weekend to get the parts.
Going through the journey myself as I am building a budget gaming/editing rig.
I would suggest a look at www.pcpricetracker.in to get an idea of what the online rates across multiple sites are for devices. Updated daily.
It also has a nifty build configurator.

Here is a sample I tried with your budget (no idea how the quality of the parts and performance is though)
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-22k.png  

Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 22:42   #3684
BHPian

Planning to setup a rig for myself. Primary would be photo editing. Video editing might come later. I want to slowly extend the rig to gaming. Following is the setup i have in mind:

AMD Ryzen 5950X
Asus Wifi motherboard with support for PCI4 storage
atleast 32 GB RAM with atleast 3600MHz
Primary 2TB SSD
Cheaper 4-5 TB HDD (might pick SSD if price is right)
GTX 3080 ti or 3090 Ti once the astronomical prices come down
Good monitor with 120-144 refresh rate and decent colour gaumet
Powersupply, wiring, cooling, cabinet etc, the usual

How are the prices for the above other than GPU? Are prices still high, should i wait for another year? I am not in any hurry.
Cooling, wiring, powersupply, cabinet etc, the usual

Planning to visit SP road one of these days to get a feel of the price and general market

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 13th July 2021 at 22:44.
Old 14th July 2021, 00:17   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
How are the prices for the above other than GPU? Are prices still high, should i wait for another year? I am not in any hurry.
If you are not in hurry then you should wait till the next year for such a costly rig since the next generation AM5 socket is going to debut in 2022 along with DDR5 RAM and PCIE 5.0.

Hopefully we will also see the GPU prices settle down by then and maybe the new GPU will also launch in the next year which may bring the price of current 30xx series further down.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:47   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I agree with tbppjpr that you should wait a bit, prices of components will probably drop further. It's mainly GPUs that are heavily overpriced still. Most other components are reasonably priced again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
The next generation AM5 socket is going to debut in 2022 along with DDR5 RAM and PCIE 5.0.
If rumors are to be believed (and they seem to be from a reliable source) the AM5 platform will remain on PCIe 4.0, but will support DDR5.

I will stay very far away from the first iteration of DDR5, as I got burnt pretty badly in terms of price by adopting high speed DDR4 RAM before it fully matured. Not interested in making the same mistake again.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 12:28   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
There will not be any compatibility issues at all. You can put a GTX 1060 into this build, but unless you can get it at a sensible price, I'm not sure it will make sense. The CPU is also a bit of a bottleneck and will be even more so with a better GPU, but performance should still be almost double at 1080p with the upgrade from a 750 Ti to a 1060 6GB.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I have a old Desktop, assembled some 8 years ago and is working well without any issue. Upgraded to SSD and also the GPU couple of years back. Current configurations are i5-3450, Asus P8Z77M Pro MB, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeoForce GTX 750 Ti (2GB), 650 W SMPS

The GPU is running out of breath for Red Dead Redemption 2 and my son want to upgrade. The recommended GPU for this game is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

Will the other configurations supports the GPU upgrade or the MB and CPU also needs to be upgraded? As per the specs, the MB supports 2 x PCIe x16 v3.0 - which matches with the GPU spec. Please share your expert opinion.

Note: This PC will be used only for another 2 years and will be sold after that, so want to minimize the cost
Considering the high GPU cost, thought of delaying the upgrade. However got a 3 year Old PC (used by a media company) in Olx with good configuration (Intel I7 6700, Asus B150 motherboard, 16GB Hyperx RAM, GTX 1060ti 6GB graphics card, Thermaltake 650w 80plus gold smps - modular, Thermaltake full tower cabinet, No HDD/SSD).

A good friend who deals with laptop / PC sales and service closed the deal by taking my old PC with the net cost difference of 25K. Took the SSD from my Old PC and the left the old one with 1 TB HDD.
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:04   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Using a Ryzen 5 3600 on a Gigabyte B450 Pro-WiFi board with 2x8GB RAM and the usual nvme, ssd, hdd et all.

Graphics card is an ancient GT1030. Serves me just fine for my needs

The case i have is an Antec NX800

Now, i guess my PSU (Corsair 650W White) conked off. No response from the CPU. Been looking for a replacement and it seems my locally available choices are:

1) Gigabyte 650 bronze
2) Coolermaster 650 bronze
3) Antec 600w white

Any tips please
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:20   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Now, i guess my PSU (Corsair 650W White) conked off. No response from the CPU.
Sorry to say, this is not sufficient troubleshooting to assume a PSU failure. It could be a number of things including and not limited to: faulty cable, RAM issue, motherboard failure, CPU failure etc. I would first recommend that you firmly narrow down on where the issue is. If you don't have the parts to be able to test that at home, then you should take it to a PC repair shop where they can swap parts and test. Imagine buying a new PSU only to find out that's not the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
1) Gigabyte 650 bronze
2) Coolermaster 650 bronze
3) Antec 600w white
Which one has the best warranty? Quality-wise, I wouldn't recommend any one of those above the other, so it comes down to price value and warranty.

Cheers
Old 24th July 2021, 12:59   #3690
Senior - BHPian

I'm guessing it is the PSU that conked out since there is no activity on the motherboard. No LEDs lighting up, no fans spinning.

I do have an old coolermaster psu somewhere. Shall try with it and see if it works.

What would be a decent mid range PSU?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks