Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 00:12   #3646
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
In what aspect do you find performance lacking in your existing setup? Is navigation slow and halting? Do you load many big files onto the project and assemble them on the timeline?
Thanks, my computer is more than adequate for my official work (Web server, database and other Dev ide etc). Apart from this I use this for basic image editing like touching raw files from dslr etc. This year I acquired a GoPro and when I tried to edit/merge and the convert to single video it started to take a lot of time, add to that some tools failed to load due to missing graphics card. So thought of adding some basic graphics card which would ease my work.
As I have never played any games or have any interest in it, has never looked for a graphics card.
Old 1st May 2021, 13:11   #3647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any recommendations for a software that could help with cloning a drive? Picked up an SSD, want to clone the drive with my OS to the SSD. Tried a few of the recommended options on the net with no success.
I have been using Macrium Reflect to backup drive image. Check it out and see whether it meets your requirement.
Old 1st May 2021, 17:44   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys - any suggestions for a good laptop anti glare screen protector?
Mine is a HP Elitebook 14”.
Old 13th May 2021, 14:24   #3649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Finally got the following 2 days ago:
1. B450 motherboard - ASRock Pro 4
2. Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
3. 16 GB Ram - single stick
4. Graphics card - GTX1660 Super.
5. 650 Watts Cooler Master modular PSU 80+ gold rated
6. Case Cooler master 501LRGB. 3100+
7. M.2 SSD 512 GB

I had to pay Scalper rates for the card, but the system is snappy. That said, I am completely disappointed in Windows.
Damn bit mining scalpers. I hope Etherium crashes and they get burned. My son has been trying to get an RTX3070 but the prices are insane. He could buy a gaming laptop from Alienware, ROG or Razer for the price of a 3070 card.
  1. Have you checked your version of DirectX? You need version 12 or higher.
  2. Disable any anti-virus firewalls particularly Defender and try without
  3. Uninstall Discord. My son uses a second machine (laptop) to run Discord.

If all else fails sell the GPU and you will make more money than you paid for your system (just kidding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorya Ramesh View Post

My Budget is 100k INR.
New cards are subjected to Original/Launch price only. Not Scalper price.

Intel Build: 1st Type
CPU: i7 10700 (8C/16T)
MOBO: MSI Z590-A pro carbon
GPU; Used Zotac RTX 2070 super/New RTX 3060
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 3000/3200Mhz (Crucial/T-Force/HyperX)
SMPS: Corsair CV550 80+ Bronze (Non Modular)
Cabinet: Thermaltake V250 ARGB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 500GB

Intel Build: 2nd Type
CPU: i5 11500 (6C/12T)
MOBO: MSI Z590-A pro carbon
GPU; New RTX 3070/ Used RTX 2080

Intel 11th gen got UHD 750 graphics which is a really good integrated GPU performer, Which makes me consider going with 11th gen processor.

AMD Build: 1st Type
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600/X (6C/12T)
MOBO: MSI B550-A pro
GPU; New RTX 3070/ Used RTX 2080
Firstly good luck finding a GPU at any reasonable price today. The whole chip market is a mess with demand far outstripping supply. Even car manufacturers are affected.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29D1NF
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g3...chip-shortage/
  1. The i5 might throttle the 3070 or 2080.
  2. I'd consider a bigger power supply. 750W is good. The cost difference is not that great and it will give you headroom.
  3. For your system drive, I'd look at NvMe SSDs.
You haven't listed what kind of cooling system you are intending to use. AIOs are now easy to install but unless you are going to a 2x120 (240) or bigger AIO a good push-pull air cooler will work just as well.

Last edited by navin : 13th May 2021 at 14:32.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 18:24   #3650
BHPian

I have been itching for a while to go for a desktop this time, have HP DV6 7214NR laptop, bought in the US in 2013, still doing great, Its an I7 2.24GHz 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor , 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, 750GB hard disk.
I only use my laptop to stream or to trade or take backup from phones etc, no gaming and all, just want a system which would last for some time and not make me repent that I bought a slower system
Currently looking at I7 11700K with 16 GB Ram 3600MHZ, an SSD for OS and another SSD for 1 tb and a WD Blue for 2 tb.
I have loads of pics and videos,which I regularly back up on my NAS WD 6GB in RAID.
Basically photos and videos/ streaming and need lot of space is my thing, no editing or other resource intensive activities, no gaming of any kind.
SOmehow not able to settle for an i5 What would you guys recommend.
Old 16th May 2021, 10:42   #3651
Senior - BHPian

My dual Xeon desktop is at its end of life after more than 10 years of use. The ECC RAM is acting up and blue screen a constant companion. Please suggest a configuration that can support :

1. 32 GB RAM
2. At least 3 HD monitors (4 will be ideal)
3. Minimum 6 HDD, 10 preferable.
4. DVD writer
5. 2-4 USB 3

I really do not need SSD so I can give it a pass.

On another note, if any one has contacts with dealers who deal in old servers, I can try RAM from older servers. The RAM is
. DDR2, 667 or 800 MHz
. ECC
. Registered

These RAM modules come in 2GB, 4GB or 8GB. They are selling in US for US $ 25+ for 8GB, but in India importers raise the price to nearly US $150.
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Wor...WV9CMDZYJX3K16
https://www.amazon.com/Buffered-Serv...00JENY37U?th=1

Last edited by Aroy : 16th May 2021 at 10:43.
Old 16th May 2021, 10:57   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My dual Xeon desktop is at its end of life after more than 10 years of use. The ECC RAM is acting up and blue screen a constant companion.
What kind of server are you running Aroy Sir ? One of my Dell Servers with Xeon Processor also had a failed RAM and I have sourced an ordinary RAM for it. So far no complaints. But as you are running Windows, you may have a different view. I am still running the Centos 6.x end of life OS.
Old 16th May 2021, 12:01   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What kind of server are you running Aroy Sir ? One of my Dell Servers with Xeon Processor also had a failed RAM and I have sourced an ordinary RAM for it. So far no complaints. But as you are running Windows, you may have a different view. I am still running the Centos 6.x end of life OS.
I am running Workstation, the Board is Tyan dual Xeon workstation. Yes I run Windows 7.

Yes ordinary (non ECC) RAM will work, but I prefer ECC RAM for zero failure during numeric calculations.
Old 16th May 2021, 13:08   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. 32 GB RAM
4. DVD writer
5. 2-4 USB 3
This seems to be possible with all mainstream CPU +ATX boards.

For example, this one : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...PLUS/techspec/
  1. All ATX boards, Chipsets and CPUs, support at least 64 GB RAM (My laptop has 48 GB RAM)
  2. With USB C + HDMI on-board this will work. Adding a grafix card will make it easier.
  3. 6 SATA ports are default. You can easily add 6 more with PCI card.
  4. Board that I mentioned, has 7 USB C ports. All intel/ AMD ATX boards are similar in this regard
Old 2nd June 2021, 19:32   #3655
BANNED

A320 / b450 motherboard for ryzen 2600

My Msi x470 gaming plus is not working, after I cleaned it using compressed air can. I Can see some stains, etc

I need a temporary board which I can use till this one is fixed. But because of the stains, warranty might be denied too. Not sure.

So I’m looking for a cheap, reliable option - a320 or b450..
I think m-atx boards will be fine.

usage - 3d modelling (using blender, not very heavy scenes); then some rendering experiments (using the cpu) - for 2/3 hours a day. No gaming or overclocking.
But still the board should be able to tolerate heat (no ac in the room).
I have a Corsair 400r and I can use 2 fans as side intakes.
Ryzen 2660 stock cooler
8gb X 2 ram.

Thanks.

Last edited by sinhead : 2nd June 2021 at 19:33.
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:14   #3656
BANNED

Quote:
My dual Xeon desktop is at its end of life after more than 10 years of use. The ECC RAM is acting up and blue screen a constant companion. Please suggest a configuration that can support :

1. 32 GB RAM
4. DVD writer
5. 2-4 USB 3

You have to be careful here - Most consumer motherboards claim support for ECC RAM but that only means ECC RAM will run not that ECC will be used. If going for a modern AMD desktop then only a prebuilt vendor system with RYZEN PRO CPU will have an ECC memory controller. I would recommend a rethink on the no-SSD part - at least for the boot drive.
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:55   #3657
BANNED

Re: A320 / b450 motherboard for ryzen 2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
My Msi x470 gaming plus is not working, after I cleaned it using compressed air can. I Can see some stains, etc

I need a temporary board which I can use till this one is fixed. But because of the stains, warranty might be denied too. Not sure.

So I’m looking for a cheap, reliable option - a320 or b450..
I think m-atx boards will be fine.

usage - 3d modelling (using blender, not very heavy scenes); then some rendering experiments (using the cpu) - for 2/3 hours a day. No gaming or overclocking.
But still the board should be able to tolerate heat (no ac in the room).
I have a Corsair 400r and I can use 2 fans as side intakes.
Ryzen 2660 stock cooler
8gb X 2 ram.

Thanks.
Any B450 should fit a temporary requirement, for 320 board support for 2660 is doubtful the VRMs may not take the heat.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 18:31   #3658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Probably, nobody really does. But like more BHP in your car, it's nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I would recommend a rethink on the no-SSD part - at least for the boot drive.
After very many years of not needing SSD, and seeing that it is now much more affordable than when I last looked, I got a 500Gb drive. Actually, it was supposed to be an add-on for my old system, but, coincidentally, that suffered a failure, and the SSD was put into the new system.

Even on the brand-spanking-new system, SSD makes everything faster.

Boot speed is the least important reason to get SSD, because... how many times a day do you boot your machine? For me, once, twice or maybe three times, and that many minutes saved does not really figure. But still, it is impressive to see the system start up in under a minute.* But put your root (or whatever your OS calls it) and programs filesystem(s) on SSD for the speed of program start up. And the data you most often access.

I keep my root fs and a file system for this-year's photos on my SSD. Everything else is on the old HDDs. Loading and saving pics to/from GIMP (etc) is lightening fast.

No-one needs SSD, at least on a desk-top/side machine, especially if they have fast HDDs (I use WD Black) but, unless on a really restricted budget, get one!

*You may have motherboard fast-boot options that make it even faster. I do, but it's incompatible with wake-on-lan, which is an option I still like to use.
Old 3rd June 2021, 18:58   #3659
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Probably, nobody really does. But like more BHP in your car, it's nice!
Boot speed is the least important reason to get SSD, because...
I keep my root fs and a file system for this-year's photos on my SSD. Everything else is on the old HDDs. Loading and saving pics to/from GIMP (etc) is lightening fast.

No-one needs SSD, at least on a desk-top/side machine, especially if they have fast HDDs (I use WD Black) but, unless on a really restricted budget, get one!

*You may have motherboard fast-boot options that make it even faster. I do, but it's incompatible with wake-on-lan, which is an option I still like to use.
I cant use fastboot because I dual-boot and write ntfs from linux sometimes. that leads to corruption because Win10 has not really shutdown/flushed the filesystem metadata when Linux writes to it. So I need a fast SSD.

I was pretty dissatisfied with my WD Red access speeds at least. And I purchased a Fuzedrive license at 20$ to run with a rather slow WD400BX SSD. What it does is store important and frequently accessed "hot" file blocks on the SSD while most of the large file is on HDD. A layered caching filesystem derived from enterprise SAN server-side ssd caching applications where a local SSD caches and speeds up network access files.

Earlier it was a WD Green m.2 but I decided to put a faster SSD in the m.2 slot and swapped it out. The performance of Fuzedrive is quiet ok until you hit a never accessed file.

Why on earth would you need WoL at home? Unless you run a home lab? Just curious.

Last edited by Ragul : 3rd June 2021 at 19:02.
Old 4th June 2021, 01:33   #3660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Why on earth would you need WoL at home? Unless you run a home lab? Just curious.
Pure laziness!

I could continue to loll around on the sofa for an extra couple of minutes, walk across the room, and... the PC is ready for me!

With Linux booting from the SSD now, It doesn't make much odds. It's just nice that I can do it, and so I sometimes do.

It was in one of those idle moments, I had the thought process, "wouldn't it be nice to remote-control the PC... Hmmm, there used to be something called Wake-Up-on-Lan... wonder if the on board NIC does that? And is there an Android app?"

Yes, yes and yes! Although it took a little tweaking to make my Linux Mint boot thus. But this is in the spirit of traditional sys admin: do some work today so you can do less tomorrow!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks