Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 04:28   #3631
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
buying piecemeal might be a problem when warranty issues come up.
You actually get an individual component warranty when buying parts separately. Build looks fine.

Are you buying online or in-person?
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:43   #3632
Distinguished - BHPian

Any recommendations for a software that could help with cloning a drive? Picked up an SSD, want to clone the drive with my OS to the SSD. Tried a few of the recommended options on the net with no success.
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:03   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any recommendations for a software that could help with cloning a drive? Picked up an SSD, want to clone the drive with my OS to the SSD. Tried a few of the recommended options on the net with no success.
I used the free version of EaseUS 3-4 years back for the exact same puprose and it was a breeze. I was doing a SATA HDD to SATA SSD.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:40   #3634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...want to clone the drive with my OS to the SSD...
I did the same thing recently with Clonezilla.

Windows system? UEFI? Secure Boot? I don't know if it handles all that. I suspect it does.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 23:33   #3635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Here is a setup that I have so far come up with:
Start with the following:
AMD Ryzen 5 3500X 11k
Asus PRIME B450M-K 6.8k
Ram 8Gb 1 stick 3.6k
Corsair CX 500 4.5k
Antec VSK10 Window (Black) 3k
Basic graphics card 1.5k
Bluetooth dongle 0.8k
1 Tb SSD (already have)

Total = 31.2k

Future upgrades (max after 6 months, could happen earlier):
AMD RX 580 4gb DDR5 13.5k
8gb ram 3.6k
2X 4tb HDD - 15k

Total = 32.1k
Finally got the following 2 days ago:
1. B450 motherboard - ASRock Pro 4
2. Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
3. 16 GB Ram - single stick
4. Graphics card - GTX1660 Super.
5. 650 Watts Cooler Master modular PSU 80+ gold rated
6. Case Cooler master 501LRGB. 3100+
7. M.2 SSD 512 GB

I had to pay Scalper rates for the card, but the system is snappy. That said, I am completely disappointed in Windows.

I was excited for my new windows machine, but sadly it’s been just terrible. I bought it for gaming, and the damn game won’t run. Talking about Forza Horizon 4.

Solutions on the web include alt tabbing when launching the game to install an older windows version. Some stupid ones like disabling some app, blocking microphone access to the game and so on..

Nothing is working after 2 fresh install of windows, two installs of the game and lot more stuff.

I have spent over 2 days on this issue.

Terribly disappointed in Windows. Encountered more bugs in windows since the last 2 days than my entire Mac experience since 2011.

PS- my windows is original and so is the game.

Infact, I bought the steam version first, it went upto the demo mode at the start but people reported the Microsoft store version to be better. So got that instead.

Sadly it crashes even before the loading screen.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 06:41   #3636
BHPian

Quote:
Look on the website for the SSD, they will have cloning software. Otherwise Easeus free version will do it.
Old 24th April 2021, 08:34   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations for a software that could help with cloning a drive...
If you are okay to pick the hammer and chisel yourself and learn in the process, you can DIY as I did. It will be even easier, if you have a single OS and single partition on the disk. You don't need to install Ubuntu, can run from LiveCD (bootable USB).

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 24th April 2021, 11:00   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Windows 10 has a lot of problems. It is best to use Windows 7 professional. That is very stable version and used by most CAD CAM users.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:19   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the following 2 days ago:
1. B450 motherboard - ASRock Pro 4
2. Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
3. 16 GB Ram - single stick
4. Graphics card - GTX1660 Super.
5. 650 Watts Cooler Master modular PSU 80+ gold rated
6. Case Cooler master 501LRGB. 3100+
7. M.2 SSD 512 GB

I had to pay Scalper rates for the card, but the system is snappy. That said, I am completely disappointed in Windows.

I was excited for my new windows machine, but sadly it’s been just terrible. I bought it for gaming, and the damn game won’t run. Talking about Forza Horizon 4.

Terribly disappointed in Windows. Encountered more bugs in windows since the last 2 days than my entire Mac experience since 2011.

PS- my windows is original and so is the game.

Infact, I bought the steam version first, it went upto the demo mode at the start but people reported the Microsoft store version to be better. So got that instead.

Sadly it crashes even before the loading screen.
I have a system that's almost identical to yours, except I'm using a 1060 3GB and I have a 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD setup. How much did it cost in total, if you don't mind sharing?

The Forza Horizon series is a bit touch and go when it comes to working right out of the box, ironically despite being a Microsoft exclusive. From my experience, it's not a Windows fault, it's more of a MS Store problem coupled with Forza's general tendency to just stop working out of the blue. Have you tried the Steam version? Not that Windows doesn't have it's flaws, but they did seem to iron out over time for me.

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 24th April 2021 at 11:30. Reason: Typo
rkv_2401 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:38   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
How much did it cost in total, if you don't mind sharing?
84k just for the above components. I reused my monitor, keyboard, mouse. 50% of that was just for the 1660 super. A real rip off I know.

Quote:
Have you tried the Steam version?
My first preference was Steam only. Infact, it was listed at 1/3rd price of the Microsoft store version. Sadly, had to claim refund on the order and Steam was prompt to refund it. Used it for the new ETS 2 DLCs

Mostly, I will try reinstalling the game today and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, will ask for a refund.
Old 25th April 2021, 08:07   #3641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Windows 10 has a lot of problems. It is best to use Windows 7 professional. That is very stable version and used by most CAD CAM users.
Windows 7 is unsupported now from Microsoft. Support period ended last year. If a vulnerability is exploited, you are on your own.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 18:37   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
84k just for the above components. I reused my monitor, keyboard, mouse. 50% of that was just for the 1660 super. A real rip off I know.
Oof, that's steep. I rent this machine from a systems provider we've known for 15+ years, but I calculated the retail price of my machine to be in the low 50k ballpark when I got it in January 2020.

Maybe you can run a cryptocurrency miner in the background, when you're not using it for intensive purposes. That would help you recoup some of the excess price you've paid for it. Your power supply is good, and if your machine is properly set up and the cooling system is adequate it should be fine. I've run my machine under full load 24*7 for nearly the whole time I've had it(that's the reason I got it, actually, to contribute to distributed computing projects like BOINC and Folding@home), and I've never faced any problems with it.

There's potential to make a small amount of money with cryptocurrency mining, but not anywhere near enough to recoup the extra price that scalpers make us pay for graphics cards, and chasing that target would involve multi-coin-mining setups and undervolting, risking your hardware, etc - getting into the deep end of mining, which may not be something you're interested in. If you would like some more information on this, I can DM you the exact settings that I'm using on my R5 3600/1060 3GB and the sort of payout one can expect with a machine specced like this.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 21:45   #3643

Hello guys,

I've been planning to build a Gaming/Streaming/Editing PC for a while now, And the time has come now and my PG course is about to start, So I need something before the class starts. I always wondered which is best, Team Red or Team Blue? I'm, Still yet to decide which is actually worth it, But hey let me list out the components first, You guys decide which is best. I will go with the one with more votes.

My Budget is 100k INR.
New cards are subjected to Original/Launch price only. Not Scalper price.

Intel Build: 1st Type
CPU: i7 10700 (8C/16T)
MOBO: MSI Z590-A pro carbon
GPU; Used Zotac RTX 2070 super/New RTX 3060
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 3000/3200Mhz (Crucial/T-Force/HyperX)
SMPS: Corsair CV550 80+ Bronze (Non Modular)
Cabinet: Thermaltake V250 ARGB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 500GB

I will have to wait sometime if I have to go for the new RTX 3060, Since the scalpers are going insane with these cards, It's hard to find one with a decent price, So I chose the used 2070 super.

Intel Build: 2nd Type
CPU: i5 11500 (6C/12T)
MOBO: MSI Z590-A pro carbon
GPU; New RTX 3070/ Used RTX 2080

Intel 11th gen got UHD 750 graphics which is a really good integrated GPU performer, Which makes me consider going with 11th gen processor.

AMD Build: 1st Type
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600/X (6C/12T)
MOBO: MSI B550-A pro
GPU; New RTX 3070/ Used RTX 2080

Finally, All I wish is to get any RTX card at a decent price, Let it go from RTX 2060 to RTX 3070(No 3080 and 3090), It's way beyond my budget.

Apart from the Components above, Let me list out my Peripherals and Accessories.

Monitor: Samsung CFG73 144Hz
Mouse: Razer Death Adder Elite
Headphone: HyperX Cloud 2 (Really good one IMO)
Mouse pad: Razer goliathus
Speaker: Creative ABS120
Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
Soorya Ramesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 20:07   #3644
BHPian

Hello Guys,
I've an old computer and been quite happy with it till I wanted to edit videos taken using GoPro. Now basically looking to squeeze out some more life from this with the addition of cheap graphics card. Any suggestion on which card to look for.

The rig
CPU: i7 4770
RAM: 16GB
Power: 550W SMPS
Boot Drive: SSD
Active/Work Drive: 2 SSD drives (256GB each)
Other storage: Multiple HDD
Old 30th April 2021, 23:42   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Hello Guys,
I've an old computer and been quite happy with it till I wanted to edit videos taken using GoPro. Now basically looking to squeeze out some more life from this with the addition of cheap graphics card. Any suggestion on which card to look for.

The rig
CPU: i7 4770
RAM: 16GB
Power: 550W SMPS
Boot Drive: SSD
Active/Work Drive: 2 SSD drives (256GB each)
Other storage: Multiple HDD
In what aspect do you find performance lacking in your existing setup? Is navigation slow and halting? Do you load many big files onto the project and assemble them on the timeline? If yes, more RAM would help you because it needs to hold all that uncompressed video data.

On the other hand if you want faster encoding time you can consider over clocking your CPU. Check out requirement for custom cooler in that case.

Graphics card will help only if you apply lots of image filter and image /video effects on the timeline. Only rendering of those effects are GPU bound. Traditionally the most time consuming part, other than your own editing time, is video encoding. With better compression comes more demand on processor. I found that H.265 encoding time is much more than H.264 encoding. Video encoding is purely CPU work. Clock speed and number of cores/ threads rule the roost here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks