Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 17:25   #3736
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Considering that i am not into gaming & desktop is purely for kids to work, what would be a ideal reliable processor for future under 25 K max. Thinking of shifting over to AMD.
25k is a pretty high budget for your requirements; you can get good processors that will be future proof for 5-6 years at just around 15k:

AMD Ryzen 5 3500 3rd Gen Desktop Processor

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake Core i5-10400F Processor

Intel Core i5-11400F 11th Generation Rocket Lake Processor

with 11400 (non-F) being 3k costlier, if you don't have a graphics card.
Considering that you had a 6700, if you want to keep options for gaming open, you can also consider a

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake Core i5-10600K Processor

but it is overkill if you are not gaming.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 18:54   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that i am not into gaming & desktop is purely for kids to work, what would be a ideal reliable processor for future under 25 K max. Thinking of shifting over to AMD.
What is your budget for the complete build? Are there any specific requirements you have from the system? Any minimum specifications that you want? Any parts from your old build that you're planning to re-use?

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 19:26   #3738
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
What is your budget for the complete build? Are there any specific requirements you have from the system? Any minimum specifications that you want? Any parts from your old build that you're planning to re-use? Cheers
Hi Joxster,

I intend to use all old build parts. I am looking for suggestions on CPU / Mother board combo only with in a budget of 25 K for both. The whole build is just 4 years old and i see no reason to let go of old parts.

PSU - Cooler master 650 W
RAM - 24 GB ( 16+8)

Only use will be by kids or may be occasional usage by me for running workstation etc.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 19:36   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
I intend to use all old build parts.
Ok, but even before I can suggest, there are further clarifications necessary.
  • Do you have a dedicated GPU that you plan to re-use; or are you expecting the display to be powered from an integrated GPU on the processor? I ask this because the i7-6700 had integrated graphics.
  • Is your old case a full size ATX or mATX? Important information to decide the new motherboard.
  • Do you have an SSD in the old build? If not, I highly recommend adding one just for the OS (Windows) partition as it will greatly speed up the system.

Feel free to PM me directly in case any of these questions are unclear for you.

Cheers
Old 24th November 2021, 19:48   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
If this is the budget for only the processor then Ryzen 5600x fits right in this and it will be a beast for a while. Single core performance of 5600 is almost at par with 5800, 5900 and 5950 and its got enough cores to take care of most tasks including gaming.

When 5600x is coupled with the B550 motherboards, You can also add topmost graphics card from the current generation whenever you want without worrying about any bottlenecks.

Being a processor interacting through PCIe 4 bus, you can also add PCIe 4 compatible M.2 nvme disk whenever you want. Endless upgrade possibilities for a while if you go B550+Ryzen 5000 series route.

If you don't want to spend on GPU right now then you can consider the G series Ryzen processors, though don't expect performance equal to dedicated graphics cards while playing some demanding games.

My preference always has been Asus in the motherboards for my AMD builds.

Whatever PC you build AMD or Intel, don't overlook the quality of the cabinet, power supply and CPU cooler. They are the key components which ensure how reliable and stable your system will perform for how much longer duration. You can squeeze more juice from a CPU comparable to it's sibling one step above just by applying better cooling and by feeding better quality power into it.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 20:32   #3741
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Ok, but even before I can suggest, there are further clarifications necessary.
  • Do you have a dedicated GPU that you plan to re-use; or are you expecting the display to be powered from an integrated GPU on the processor? I ask this because the i7-6700 had integrated graphics.
  • Is your old case a full size ATX or mATX? Important information to decide the new motherboard.
  • Do you have an SSD in the old build? If not, I highly recommend adding one just for the OS (Windows) partition as it will greatly speed up the system.

Feel free to PM me directly in case any of these questions are unclear for you.

Cheers
Answer in below

A ) I don,t have any GPU & i don,t intend to invest in one either .

B ) Cabinet is cooler master K 38 link below supporting both ATX / MATX form factor

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...id-tower/k380/

C ) I do have a 128 GB SSD in old build using windows 10 and another 2 TB for Data.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 20:41   #3742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Whatever PC you build AMD or Intel, don't overlook the quality of the cabinet, power supply and CPU cooler.
Cabinet is a quality One. I do understand the importance of cooling courtesy my enterprise DC architect role but desktop category is different ball game all together.

Coming to current topic, I intend to keep that budget of 25K for both CPU & Mother board. I can stretch a bit if needed provided the specs justify the price tag.
Old 24th November 2021, 21:07   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have any GPU & I don't intend to invest in one either.
Ok, thank you for clarifying. Based on your budget being limited to 25k INR, and your requirement for an APU (with integrated graphics), I would recommend sticking with Intel.

Sticking with your budget, I would recommend the i3-10100 (4 cores, 8 threads) + ASUS B560-PLUS motherboard - this combination falls within your budget. If you can afford to stretch your budget a little bit, then consider the i5-10400 (6 cores, 12 threads) instead, as it will make the build more future-proof. I've linked the parts below for easy reference.

i3-10100
i5-10400
ASUS B560-PLUS

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers
Old 24th November 2021, 21:20   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
A ) I don,t have any GPU & i don,t intend to invest in one either .
Since you dont have a GPU, don't go for F-series Intel CPUs or non-G AMD.

And Intel K-series would need aftermarket CPU coolers, FYI. So 11400 seems to be a good bet on the Intel side.

On AMD side, Ryzen 3500, 3600, 5600 series come with coolers.

Quote:
I intend to keep that budget of 25K for both CPU & Mother board
AMD Ryzen 5600G (not X) is a good option if you can stretch CPU + MB budget to around 30k. It has iGPU. Other iGPU options from AMD would be 3200G and 3400G, but their current list prices at stores do not make them worth, 5600G is more cost effective at just 4k more.

In both Intel and AMD cases, you can go for the cheapest motherboards from MSI, Gigabyte, or ASUS. Avoid ASRock as there are some complains with their voltage modules (AMD). Assuming overclocking wont be a requirement for you, A520 series is good enough for AMD. And for non-K Intel, it does not make sense to go beyond the basic H510. Budget around 5-7k in both camps.

It is always a good idea to reuse old parts; I have done that several times, it saves money which we can spend on "actual" upgrades.
Old 29th November 2021, 10:04   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering where to dispose them off.
If you have not done this already, you can try Attero. They have a free doorstep pickup services around Delhi. This is their toll-free number 1800-102-9882
Old 29th November 2021, 10:36   #3746
Senior - BHPian

What would be a decent digital drawing board to start with? My daughter all of 12 years old wants one for her digital artwork and i am at a loss.

Amazon seems to be filled with unknown brands.

Any suggestions?
Old 29th November 2021, 10:47   #3747
Senior - BHPian

These days with sky high GPU prices, best to buy a cpu with integrated graphics. Since you don't want a GPU, buy a cpu with integrated graphics. In fact, after 2 decades of buying separate GPU, I am now keen on buying a integrated cpu GPU like amd 5700g. Could replace my aug 20 ryzen 7 3700x. I don't game and why pay 30000 for an excellent cpu and then 30 to 40000 for a mediocre GPU.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:00   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What would be a decent digital drawing board to start with? My daughter all of 12 years old wants one for her digital artwork and i am at a loss.
You mean the graphics/drawing tablet? Wacom is most preferred brand by the professionals. Once you get hold of it, don't forget to install Krita in the computer. Its the best digital art app, open source and free.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:04   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
You mean the graphics/drawing tablet? Wacom is most preferred brand by the professionals. Once you get hold of it, don't forget to install Krita in the computer. Its the best digital art app, open source and free.
That's what i meant

Wacom it is then. Thanks. Shall get one.

Yeah, got Krita installed for her a few months back but now she wants more

She likes to draw/paint anime characters these days.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:33   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
She likes to draw/paint anime characters these days.
Well if she has interest in animations then let her get hands on Blender, its super capable tool for 3D and decent for 2D as well.

Creating 2D characters is one part, but creating 2D animations is other part where 3D is better. Animations in a conventional 2D way takes lot of time. But once the user gets hold of 3D thing, animating characters becomes quicker. Best part with Blender is you create and animated characters in 3D but can render them in 2D toonish way.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks