Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 11:16   #3721
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Win 11 is still not ready for prime time as of now. It looks good, fresh, and the whites look even more pure but that is so far accompanied by BSOD, critical stops, and performance hit on some AMD systems for some tasks (not all). This is on newer 2019-21 CPUs etc. For older say Intel 6th/7th gen CPU, simply forget it. I tried clean format on my i7-6700HQ laptop and BSODs were like 1 every 5 mins. Maybe the new 22000.282 build has addressed some issues but so far we dont know. Maybe they will address those issues. In my experience, all windows from 7 to 10 were quite stable for me right from development/beta channel to RTM and onward. In fact, I am an early adopter with no issues in using pre RTM or dev builds. Not so with 11.
Were you able to update to windows 11 on ur i7-6700HQ laptop? My laptop has i7-7700HQ and Microsoft says that is not compatible for a windows 11 upgrade!
Old 25th October 2021, 07:21   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Were you able to update to windows 11 on ur i7-6700HQ laptop? My laptop has i7-7700HQ and Microsoft says that is not compatible for a windows 11 upgrade!
I believe the backward compatibility is from Intel 8th gen processors upward.
Old 25th October 2021, 09:14   #3723
BHPian

My guess is that MS will slowly allow more CPUs to be supported going forward. Otherwise image the several millions of PCs that become suddenly unsupported in 2025 - and MS has nothing to gain by not supporting as it does not make PC hardware anyway.

So I think it's just a matter of time by which all CPUs (atleast the popular ones - read Intel) will be supported over time.
Old 5th November 2021, 19:12   #3724
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am running Windows 10 with inbuilt Windows Defender on my laptop.
I was running McAfee anti virus as well but have been told by my computer guy that there is absolutely no need for an additional anti virus program as, firstly, it slows down the computer and secondly, Windows Defender is robust enough to take care of any threats.

Can the experts please advise me on this?

It's time for my annual subscription to McAfee, so I need to decide one way or another.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

TIA.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 19:19   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Windows Defender is robust enough to take care of any threats.
That is correct. From the days of Microsoft Security Essentials, which is now replaced by Windows Defender, there is really no need for extra anti-virus applications. You can safely continue without a subscription renewal.

However, it does not take away any standard dos and don'ts to keep your machine safe. Ensure you keep the OS updated.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 19:38   #3726
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am running Windows 10 with inbuilt Windows Defender on my laptop.
I was running McAfee anti virus as well but have been told by my computer guy that there is absolutely no need for an additional anti virus program as, firstly, it slows down the computer and secondly, Windows Defender is robust enough to take care of any threats.

Can the experts please advise me on this?

It's time for my annual subscription to McAfee, so I need to decide one way or another.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

TIA.
Regards,
SS
If its only you using the computer and you understand stuff to avoid then you should be fine. Otherwise i'd suggest you keep an AV software along with Defender. There are quite a few which are cheap for us Indians so shop around the good ones before purchasing.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 19:43   #3727
BHPian

Quote:
McAfee is more of a virus than antivirus, stay away from it.

Though I don't trust Windows defender either so I keep another dedicated antivirus in my Windows computers. Have been trusting Bit-Defender since last few years. It runs silently and does not bother you with unwanted notification popups.

Before Bit-Defender I used to have have Kaspersky subscription which I started using when Norton went notorious.

About the performance, if you have hard disk then upgrade to SSD is highly recommended and you won't notice any impact on performance.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 5th November 2021 at 19:44.
tbppjpr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 22:49   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Before Bit-Defender I used to have have Kaspersky subscription which I started using when Norton went notorious.
Norton has been around for so many years, I just trust them. Maybe there are things I am not aware of. What's the notoriety of Norton?
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:09   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
What's the notoriety of Norton?
Abundant Norton in early 2010 era. Few issues me and my friends or families faced with Norton.

* They were very slow to introduce latest technologies to reduce system performance impact with real time scanning. Kaspersky in that era was one the first better AVS to come with those remember file change tech, where once a full system scan is done, the real time scanner will not rescan every file on access unless that file is modified in any sense. This resulted in a huge performance gain and Norton was really heavy on system with real time scanning on.

* Missing Firewall (so called Internet security version) with Norton -> Once again, they were very slow in rolling out these new features (in that era)

* Even with regular update, Norton was being out performed by likes of Kaspersky with newer malware threats (like spyware, ransomware, key loggers etc)

* Price -> Kaspersky was really aggressive with their India specific pricing and 3 / 5 /10 users packs where friends & families can share & offset the investment where as Norton was just converting their USD pricing into INR. Mind you, it was really effective back then. I know so many people, for whom Kaspersky was their first "paid / license" software. People were happy to purchase genuine Kaspersky and install it in their Pirated Windows OS

May be Norton overcame all of those issues but never looked back as Kaspersky and later, products like Bit-Defender never gave any reason to look else where. Having said that, after Windows 10 and its built in security software along with Internet Cloud based secure file sharing (rarely we transfer files via USB now, as everything is coming from pre-scanned cloud drives), didn't felt the need to get any extra third party AVS. So memories of Kaspersky / Bit-Defender are also fading out.

Thanks.

Last edited by NaXal : 6th November 2021 at 14:12.
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 20:25   #3730
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded from Windows 10 to 11? Any reviews/experiences?
Old 13th November 2021, 18:11   #3731

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Has anyone upgraded from Windows 10 to 11? Any reviews/experiences?
I have upgraded to windows 11 since the last 2 weeks. The user experience overall is more or less the same. There are a few cosmetic changes here and there ( like the centralized menu bar at the bottom). For the first two days there were a few glitches here and there (like night mode turning on and off beyond stipulated hours) which have been addressed in a subsequent update. Yet to check out the android apps integration but as far as i know it is still in a nascent stage.The experience is overall good but knowing Microsoft i would say that you consider postponing the upgrade for a couple more months till the niggles are sorted out.
Doc_protean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:01   #3732
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Adding to the electronic waste, motherboard & Processor on desktop got fried at same time. I am wondering where to dispose them off. Fried one was a Gigabyte H 170 Mother board & Intel i7 6700 6th gen processor.

Considering that i am not into gaming & desktop is purely for kids to work, what would be a ideal reliable processor for future under 25 K max. Thinking of shifting over to AMD.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 24th November 2021 at 16:09.
Old 24th November 2021, 16:14   #3733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
. I am wondering where to dispose them off. .
My regular service person - he runs a small service business - has people who come and collect e-waste regularly. I could have tried to give you pointers to other sources, but I dont know if anyone would be present in location called " | ".
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:47   #3734
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont know if anyone would be present in location called " | ".
Apologies. I am based off NCR sir.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:50   #3735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Adding to the electronic waste, motherboard & Processor on desktop got fried at same time. I am wondering where to dispose them off. Fried one was a Gigabyte H 170 Mother board & Intel i7 6700 6th gen processor.

Considering that i am not into gaming & desktop is purely for kids to work, what would be a ideal reliable processor for future under 25 K max. Thinking of shifting over to AMD.
Amazon offers EWaste collection . Check the link below and see if there is something available in your city

https://www.amazon.in/gp/help/custom...deId=200197550
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks