Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 07:50   #2371
Senior - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Personally I'd go for the Back-UPS Pro 1000. Even that is not very future proof if, at some point, you want a more powerful PC that needs a bigger PSU, but given your current requirement, that's what I'd buy.
Yes. Also what make is the PSU used by dell in this PC.
460W PSU for a i5 and GeForce series graphics card is not ideal. GeForce are power hungry graphics card going past history, I am not sure if that has changed.
If its a sub-grade PSU then it will be drawing more power from the UPS than 460w.

Any thing else less than 1KVA is not suggested, if you are serious about backup from UPS.

If you are the of the plan that, you will use UPS only to shutdown the pc then even 800VA should suffice.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:11   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Personally I'd go for the Back-UPS Pro 1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
the ups is a carry over from my old computer era - it is apc back ups rs-800 and provides 1 hour of backup for the above specification. but bear in mind, XPS may require more power.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
460W PSU for a i5 and GeForce series graphics card is not ideal. GeForce are power hungry graphics card going past history, I am not sure if that has changed.
If its a sub-grade PSU then it will be drawing more power from the UPS than 460w.

Any thing else less than 1KVA is not suggested, if you are serious about backup from UPS.
Thank you very much guys.

Finally bought APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 600 Watts / 1000 VA with LCD - BR1000G-IN APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000 with LCD, 230V, India.

Not installed yet. I guess PSU is 460W. Will confirm that on next Monday.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 11th May 2012, 14:37   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys I need a bit of help from team-bhpians in Bombay. I am desperately looking for the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Unless you are specifically looking for this model (for Z68 chipset/second gen sandy bridge), why not go for Z77/Ivy Bridge motherboards. They are based on LGA1155 sockets and are fully compatible with 2nd gen Z68 sandybridge CPUs.

This is the flipkart link for Z77 motherboards:

Motherboards Price List India: Computer Components: Flipkart.com
Old 11th May 2012, 19:24   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Yep makes no sense getting Z68 now. Get the Z77. Same chipset without the bugs with USB3 that actually works.
Old 11th May 2012, 19:38   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Anybody knows if I bought Intel SSDs(Solid State Drive) from US, will the International Warranty is valid in India? will be Purchasing from Amazon/Newegg.
Old 14th May 2012, 16:28   #2376
Distinguished - BHPian

1st gen Core i7 Update

Hey guys,

After 3 years I will be upgrading my 1st gen Core i7 950 3.2 Ghz Nehalem 6 GB DDR3 desktop PC to;

a) CPU - Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 Ghz (6 core, Sandy Bridge-E, socket 2011)

b) Mobo - Asus Sabertooth X79 (I am a big fan of Asus, IMHO they make the best high end boards)

c) RAM - GSkill RipjawsZ DDR3 1600 - 32GB

Rest of the PC remains the same - including a Coolermaster ATCS840 cabinet with a CM 1.25KW PSU, 1 x 240GB Corsair Force SSD and 3 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black HDDs, an old GTX 285 display card (I am not into gaming) connected to a Viewsonic VP2365wb HD monitor and a lovely old PC audiophile class (at least when released back in '05) SB X-FI Elite. The SB is connected to my surround sound amp via a Toslink optical cable.

The old set up will find its way into my Dad's computer which still runs a ancient Pentium 4 Prescott CPU (!) with 1 GB DDR RAM.
Old 14th May 2012, 16:57   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1st gen Core i7 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey guys,

After 3 years I will be upgrading my 1st gen Core i7 950 3.2 Ghz Nehalem 6 GB DDR3 desktop PC to;

a) CPU - Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 Ghz (6 core, Sandy Bridge-E, socket 2011)

b) Mobo - Asus Sabertooth X79 (I am a big fan of Asus, IMHO they make the best high end boards)

c) RAM - GSkill RipjawsZ DDR3 1600 - 32GB

Rest of the PC remains the same - including a Coolermaster ATCS840 cabinet with a CM 1.25KW PSU, 1 x 240GB Corsair Force SSD and 3 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black HDDs, an old GTX 285 display card (I am not into gaming) connected to a Viewsonic VP2365wb HD monitor and a lovely old PC audiophile class (at least when released back in '05) SB X-FI Elite. The SB is connected to my surround sound amp via a Toslink optical cable.

The old set up will find its way into my Dad's computer which still runs a ancient Pentium 4 Prescott CPU (!) with 1 GB DDR RAM.
Fantastic config.

Only the PSU is a downer, which series is that PSU from CM ? Dont tell me extreme power.

If you are not in gaming, why are you looking at high end boards ? Any other requirements ?

Any plans for an aftermarket cooler for that beast of a processor?
Old 14th May 2012, 17:42   #2378
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1st gen Core i7 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Fantastic config.

Only the PSU is a downer, which series is that PSU from CM ? Dont tell me extreme power.

If you are not in gaming, why are you looking at high end boards ? Any other requirements ?

Any plans for an aftermarket cooler for that beast of a processor?
Thanks F150.

No it is not Extreme Power but the 'Real Power Pro' 1250w PSU. It is an older 2008 model from what I know. I purchased this in 2009 when I got the Core i7. It has worked very well for me so far (touch wood) and it is beautifully constructed (seriously!). I don't think I will ever need any more power from my PSU. Here it is Real Power Pro 1250W - Cooler Master

The high end boards and config are mainly for photoediting and ripping music and movies. Well, to be honest I am also addicted to having powerful PCs.

Oh yes about the cooling - I ordered a Corsair CWCH80 watercooling kit. The old gen Core i7 uses a CM V8 cooler.

Heads up guys!! - Anybody planning to purchase a Core i7 3930K or Core i7 3960x, the latter at a tear inducing and mindboggling Rs 62K, should be aware that they do not come bundled with coolers in the retail package. You need to purchase aftermarket coolers or an optional watercooling solution from Intel.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th May 2012 at 17:43.
Old 14th May 2012, 18:10   #2379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Unless you are specifically looking for this model (for Z68 chipset/second gen sandy bridge), why not go for Z77/Ivy Bridge motherboards. They are based on LGA1155 sockets and are fully compatible with 2nd gen Z68 sandybridge CPUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Yep makes no sense getting Z68 now. Get the Z77. Same chipset without the bugs with USB3 that actually works.
I agree and I have decided to go with Z77 chipset boards. Any recommendations on good boards?

I was looking at Asrock boards on Newegg and I was quite impressed with their specs. Fellow team-bhpian and geek Amey recommended these boards. They look absolute VFM to me. Any reviews or experiences around those?
Old 14th May 2012, 18:27   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I agree and I have decided to go with Z77 chipset boards. Any recommendations on good boards?

I was looking at Asrock boards on Newegg and I was quite impressed with their specs. Fellow team-bhpian and geek Amey recommended these boards. They look absolute VFM to me. Any reviews or experiences around those?
Fantastic boards - just that availability of their higher end stuff is a bit suspect locally. If you can source from egg, nothing like it. If you can't get it, then you have the usual suspects - Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and Biostar.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:36   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic in what way? Specification? Build quality? Longevity and reliability? Better than Gigabyte?

I hope not to be buying again for a couple of years, but it's always good to file these things away for future reference. Unless one is a regular PC bulder/maintainer/etc, motherboards is one of the hardest things to have a real clue about: the rest of us experience just one every three years or so.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:19   #2382
BHPian

Hello Bhpains

I need one urgent help from all of you , please do reply .

I want to build a new computer , so please tell me which core i7 processor , intel motherboard , Ram , graphics card and also smps power i should i go for .

I have a budget of 40000 and i will get hardware from nehru place which is just 20 kms away from my place .

Specifications :

Motherboard : Intel (which one)
CPU : core i7 (which one)
Ram : (which one and how many Gb)
Graphics card : (which one and how many)
Cabinet and SMPS : (which one , smps power)

I already have 500 gb sata hard disk so dont need that .
Old 15th May 2012, 10:37   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fantastic in what way? Specification? Build quality? Longevity and reliability? Better than Gigabyte?

I hope not to be buying again for a couple of years, but it's always good to file these things away for future reference. Unless one is a regular PC bulder/maintainer/etc, motherboards is one of the hardest things to have a real clue about: the rest of us experience just one every three years or so.
They have all the features you'd need with good overclocking capability for a low price - much lower than asus or gigabyte. I've built a couple of machines with asrock boards for friends and no one came complaining that the board died. So I guess reliability isn't too bad.

However as I mentioned - their high end boards are virtually unavailable in India.

Asrock was supposed to be the low end brand of asus when it launched. However, over years they've started building higher end stuff but still at good vfm prices.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:36   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hello Bhpains

I need one urgent help from all of you , please do reply .

I want to build a new computer , so please tell me which core i7 processor , intel motherboard , Ram , graphics card and also smps power i should i go for .

I have a budget of 40000 and i will get hardware from nehru place which is just 20 kms away from my place .

Specifications :

Motherboard : Intel (which one)
CPU : core i7 (which one)
Ram : (which one and how many Gb)
Graphics card : (which one and how many)
Cabinet and SMPS : (which one , smps power)

I already have 500 gb sata hard disk so dont need that .
It all depends on what you want to do.
- If you are into high power CPU intensive jobs, you need more CPU. That is why I have dual quad core Xeon (8 cores)
- If you are into high end graphics editing or CAD or GIS a high end graphics card is a must
- If you are like me and want multiple monitors at highest resolution (I have 2x24" and 1x19"), then you will have to invest in good monitors and high end graphics cards which will drive multiple monitors
- For storage, a single 500GB is on the lower side. Think of investing in one or two 2TB drives. I also recommend a dedicated drive for OS and temporary files, and a separate (or multiple) drive for data. That way the data stays even when you re-install (or change) the OS.
- For OS, get the 64 bit version, and not the 32bit version.
- For a high end system 1000W or 1200W system power supply is quite common. Only make sure that it has connectors for at least two graphics cards (these are 4+6 or 8 pin connectors that are plugged into the cards)
- In my opinion with RAM quite reasonably priced, at least 2 x 4GB is required. More over with 64bit OS, and modern applications the RAM will be utilised fully.
- I normally buy Intel mother boards - either Server or Work Station as these are designed for continuous operation. Till date no Intel Board has ditched me.
- Unless you are critically dependent on CPU throughput, desist from getting higher speed CPU. The gains are there on paper only and not worth the extra cost. You would normally not notice an increase in 20% speed on short jobs.
Old 15th May 2012, 20:14   #2385
BHPian

Hello Aroy

Thanks for responding , can you let me know god graphics card which are reasonably priced . I will be playing some normal need for speed games . I dont do any work which need high cpu utilization . But it has to be enough powerful for day to day activities like net surfing , watching HD movies . Can you let me know which motherboard of intel i should go for along with which intel CPU i should get . Will core i5 will be enough or core i7 i should go for .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It all depends on what you want to do.
- If you are into high power CPU intensive jobs, you need more CPU. That is why I have dual quad core Xeon (8 cores)
- If you are into high end graphics editing or CAD or GIS a high end graphics card is a must
- If you are like me and want multiple monitors at highest resolution (I have 2x24" and 1x19"), then you will have to invest in good monitors and high end graphics cards which will drive multiple monitors
- For storage, a single 500GB is on the lower side. Think of investing in one or two 2TB drives. I also recommend a dedicated drive for OS and temporary files, and a separate (or multiple) drive for data. That way the data stays even when you re-install (or change) the OS.
- For OS, get the 64 bit version, and not the 32bit version.
- For a high end system 1000W or 1200W system power supply is quite common. Only make sure that it has connectors for at least two graphics cards (these are 4+6 or 8 pin connectors that are plugged into the cards)
- In my opinion with RAM quite reasonably priced, at least 2 x 4GB is required. More over with 64bit OS, and modern applications the RAM will be utilised fully.
- I normally buy Intel mother boards - either Server or Work Station as these are designed for continuous operation. Till date no Intel Board has ditched me.
- Unless you are critically dependent on CPU throughput, desist from getting higher speed CPU. The gains are there on paper only and not worth the extra cost. You would normally not notice an increase in 20% speed on short jobs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks