Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 09:46   #2341
BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Hi,
I want to purchase Windows 7 Home Premium OS 64 bit.
Any ideas where i can get a legitimate copy at a good price?

I checked online at theitwares.com , which listed it for Rs 6,600/-
Any idea where i can get it for less?
Old 10th April 2012, 11:53   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hi,

Wait if you can as Windows 8 will be out in few months. You can download the consumer preview and use it for free till the new one is officially launched.
Old 10th April 2012, 13:44   #2343
Distinguished - BHPian

My crashed hard didk: End of the road for data recovery

Here's the final answer.

I took the disk, yesterday, to Stellar, in T Nagar.

I got an email, this morning with a quote for "cause: physical" : Rs.49,000.

Well, for a few dozen photos and some music, I don't think I can afford that! , so it's bye-bye to that disc and I'll make a warranty claim on it. However, if it had contained valuable commercial data, I'd probably be writing the cheque right now. Those who may be in need of such services should note the name.

Also worth noting that they said that, even after breaking the seals, Seagate would accept their letter of explanation and honour the warranty. Hmmm... I could afford the repair, I probably wouldn't even bother with the warranty!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th April 2012 at 13:47.
Old 10th April 2012, 19:28   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Wait if you can as Windows 8 will be out in few months. You can download the consumer preview and use it for free till the new one is officially launched.
Have already installed Win8 CP on a virtual box. Though it's quite fast, the metro thing is driving me crazy. Requires lot of mentality change to get adjusted to such an interface on a desktop. i would probably stick to win 7.
So coming to my original question, is there any better deal i can get ?
Old 10th April 2012, 21:49   #2345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checkout this Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64 Bit (Full Pack): Flipkart.com: Microsoft Operating Systems
Old 10th April 2012, 23:27   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Have already installed Win8 CP on a virtual box. Though it's quite fast, the metro thing is driving me crazy. Requires lot of mentality change to get adjusted to such an interface on a desktop. i would probably stick to win 7.

I dual booted windows 8 with windows7. each time i switched there was a disk check. final straw was when a whole partition of music mp3's disappeared. No problem of any loss as they mirrored on 3 systems. Trashed it immediately. I admit that the bootup time was half that of the win 7 system on the same hardware.

Plus the metro interface was nice only for what came with the system. Damn messy to create a launcher for each small thing used. Most often I ended up switching to the desktop. Only thing i enjoyed was copper. That interface dosen't make sense on a desktop, at least for me with the need to run a variety of programs, despite having a very large real estate on screen.

hope this helps someone searching for information on windows 8.
Old 11th April 2012, 21:14   #2347
BHPian

I'm still on WinXP for the time being, having just formatted and reinstalled last month after the machine became slow and unstable , I usually do this once a year but trying to avoid it , I could only bear it for about 18 months ; with the next upgrade I think it's time to ditch XP and move to a newer OS.

I wanted to ask if Windows 7 and 8 also tend to slow down and get unstable over time and need a format+reinstall routine , or have they improved on their disk and registry management since XP ?
Old 11th April 2012, 21:30   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher
Hi,

Have you checked Microsoft's TechNet subscription? You'll get legit copies of Office as well. About 200$ for a year. You get 2 copies of most software.
Old 12th April 2012, 00:00   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Have you checked Microsoft's TechNet subscription? You'll get legit copies of Office as well. About 200$ for a year. You get 2 copies of most software.
+1 to that. Definitely worth the price of admission and seeing the design evolution of Microsoft , things are only going to get better.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:00   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I'm still on WinXP for the time being, having just formatted and reinstalled last month after the machine became slow and unstable , I usually do this once a year but trying to avoid it , I could only bear it for about 18 months ; with the next upgrade I think it's time to ditch XP and move to a newer OS.

I wanted to ask if Windows 7 and 8 also tend to slow down and get unstable over time and need a format+reinstall routine , or have they improved on their disk and registry management since XP ?
I am also on Win XP. Though my sons have loaded Win7, they also use XP in emulation mode. With modern hardware the hit is minimal. I have found XP to be a better interface for my work, but eventually may have to move to Win7 64 bit. The problem is that many of the older development tools I use, do not run beyond XP.

Yes I also religiously reinstall XP every year. This has a benefit of getting rid of all the junk that I have downloaded trial versions of, which may remain after uninstall, and gives me the freedom to reorganise. As this is a regular affair, I keep OS on a dedicated HDD. All the data resides on separate HDD (5 now).
Old 17th April 2012, 10:39   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I dual booted windows 8 with windows7. each time i switched there was a disk check. final straw was when a whole partition of music mp3's disappeared. No problem of any loss as they mirrored on 3 systems. Trashed it immediately. I admit that the bootup time was half that of the win 7 system on the same hardware.
Dual booting win 8 and win 7 or for what matter any two different OSs can cause chkdsk errors. If you use only win 8 or wcp, this problem may not arise. I had the same problem with win 8 cp and win 7 (both x64) on both dual boot and vhd.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:43   #2352
BHPian

Thanks Aroy , that is another thing I need to consider , software compatibility. The switch to 64 bit makes for a lot more evaluation before deciding. As for interface, I think it is a matter of time before you get used to the new look and feel ( look who's talking , I'm still using Windows classic theme )
Old 18th April 2012, 18:55   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Dual booting win 8 and win 7 or for what matter any two different OSs can cause chkdsk errors. If you use only win 8 or wcp, this problem may not arise. I had the same problem with win 8 cp and win 7 (both x64) on both dual boot and vhd.
I have been using dual boot since 1996, when I started using Linux. The best method is to use two hard disks; one for each OS; as boot disks, and use other HDD for data. I remember the first system had Windows 3.1 (Win95 came a few months later) and Linux 1x in a dual boot configuration on one 100MB HDD

On my system we have three OS - Win7, Win XP/32 and Win XP/64, all coexisting without any issues. My system is 2x4 core Xeon and as yet there have been no compatibility issues.
Old 19th April 2012, 15:45   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have been using dual boot since 1996, when I started using Linux. The best method is to use two hard disks; one for each OS; as boot disks, and use other HDD for data. I remember the first system had Windows 3.1 (Win95 came a few months later) and Linux 1x in a dual boot configuration on one 100MB HDD
You would perhaps be suggesting 2 different OSes on 2 different hard disks and
1. keeping one hard disk offline (cumbersome, open the case, plug in/out the power cable, etc).
2. keeping both hard disk online and choosing default OS from bootloader.

I have researched a lot on MSDN, MS forums of this dual boot chkdsk issue and so far have not come across a completely satisfactory explanation. People have complained of this chkdsk, and the solutions seem to be directed more at disabling chkdsk function rather than an explanation for what is causing this. Win 8 does use a new file system, though I do not know whether than cause chkdsk with win 7. Win 7 (and all MS OS from windows 2000 onwards) had NTFS.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...dows-refs.aspx

I tried dual boot/vhd only for windows 7 and windows cp, and gave up after getting chkdsk on booting into win 7. Win 8 cp had no such problems. I will probably wait till windows 8 rc (in June perhaps) before finally giving up on win 7. Except for the metro/start button issue, in my limited usage of win cp (win 8 beta), I found it to natively support my Nvidia GTX560 card, wifi, usb 3.0. No need for drivers for these immediately after an install. The resolution was displayed correctly at 1920*1200 on first desktop, wifi worked, and on a laptop install, even the usb ports worked without the need to install renesas usb 3.0 drivers.

I had a technet account which is working for win 7. Paid 15K (UK prices) for technet pro in Aug 2010. When the newer consumer softwares are launched (win 8 in late 2012 and office 15 soon after), I will buy a new technet subscription.

Last edited by vasudeva : 19th April 2012 at 15:51.
Old 19th April 2012, 16:39   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
You would perhaps be suggesting 2 different OSes on 2 different hard disks and
1. keeping one hard disk offline (cumbersome, open the case, plug in/out the power cable, etc).
2. keeping both hard disk online and choosing default OS from bootloader.

I have researched a lot on MSDN, MS forums of this dual boot chkdsk issue and so far have not come across a completely satisfactory explanation. People have complained of this chkdsk, and the solutions seem to be directed more at disabling chkdsk function rather than an explanation for what is causing this. Win 8 does use a new file system, though I do not know whether than cause chkdsk with win 7. Win 7 (and all MS OS from windows 2000 onwards) had NTFS.

Building the next generation file system for Windows: ReFS - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I tried dual boot/vhd only for windows 7 and windows cp, and gave up after getting chkdsk on booting into win 7. Win 8 cp had no such problems. I will probably wait till windows 8 rc (in June perhaps) before finally giving up on win 7. Except for the metro/start button issue, in my limited usage of win cp (win 8 beta), I found it to natively support my Nvidia GTX560 card, wifi, usb 3.0. No need for drivers for these immediately after an install. The resolution was displayed correctly at 1920*1200 on first desktop, wifi worked, and on a laptop install, even the usb ports worked without the need to install renesas usb 3.0 drivers.

I had a technet account which is working for win 7. Paid 15K (UK prices) for technet pro in Aug 2010. When the newer consumer softwares are launched (win 8 in late 2012 and office 15 soon after), I will buy a new technet subscription.
On my Xeon system the three OS are on 2 HDD
1. Win7 and XP-32
2. XP-64

On the whole I have 6 HDD on the SATA controller and one 2TB on USB-3 controller

All OS have access to all the HDD. Never had any problems for the four or five years (initially for XP/32/64 and since last year Win7)

In my case I ensure that
. All crucial and long term data is in non OS HDD. Only OS, and short term working files along with transient data is on the OS HDD.
. The OS HDD is NTFS and has been thoroughly "CHKDSK" before installation.
. Use the boot manager to determine the default boot OS. With Win7 installed last you get
- Win7
- Older OS
in Older OS
- Win 64
- Win 32

If you are getting CHKDSK errors, then check the hardware, as this is not a software issue. In fact I recollect reading Windows NTFS and FAT32 data from Linux 2x. The only problem I have encountered are accessing the NTFS file system from Apple OSes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks