Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2023, 11:25   #4006
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartrail View Post
I wanted some inputs on storage for my PC and backup.
Currently all my data and Windows OS is on a 1 TB WD Green SATA HDD which I think can fail anytime as it has bad sectors. I am going to install a 250 GB or 500 GB SATA SSD for OS.

1. What should I purchase for Backup of important files like PDF,Images,Videos?
External HDD, External SSD or SATA SSD in a enclosure (I am not sure whether SSD will be reliable in long term or not). It will be used once or twice a month for backup.

2. I have shortlisted below options:
Seagate One Touch External HDD 1 TB Rs. 5600
WD My Passport Portable 1TB Rs. 5600
I am skeptical about ordering HDD on Amazon due to chances of damaged HDD so will prefer offline.

3. I also thought of using the old 1 TB WD Green SATA HDD in a enclosure and using it for backup. And buying a new WD Blue 1 or 2 TB SATA HDD for PC. So I can store backup on both drives. Do give your opinion on this.
I have been using the same enterprise drives in my desktop for nearly a decade now and I am yet to encounter any errors.

Do take a look at the WD HCxx/Seagate Exos drives. Yes, they are more expensive, but I feel they are absolutely worth it.

I have changed the SSDs around a bit, but the 2 WD Gold 4TB HDDs have been working flawlessly.
teknophobia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 11:30   #4007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
I only saw 2 options as per my requirement in Micro ATX segment
Oh, that does look cramped. Any reason for buying Micro ATX cabinet?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 22:04   #4008
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Oh, that does look cramped. Any reason for buying Micro ATX cabinet?
As I have written it earlier, there is nothing available as per my requirement of no RGB / Transparency

Those were the only option listed in Amazon / Flikpart as per the requirement.

Thanks.
Old 28th December 2023, 10:25   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

As I have written it earlier, there is nothing available as per my requirement of no RGB / Transparency

Those were the only option listed in Amazon / Flikpart as per the requirement.

Thanks.
Not to give you buyer's remorse, but did you check out Antec cases? They seem to have a few good cases without side transparency and RGB.

https://modxcomputers.com/product/antec-p20ce-black/

https://modxcomputers.com/product/antec-p10-flux-black/

https://www.antec.com/product/case-
Old 28th December 2023, 11:27   #4010
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Not to give you buyer's remorse, but did you check out Antec cases? They seem to have a few good cases without side transparency and RGB.
For me, personally, I find it very difficult to justify such SkyHigh prices for a case. 7/8k for a case is too expensive for me.

But in anyway, even with such price, none of the option mentioned can accommodate 3 / 4 or even in case of Full ATX build, 6 x 3.5 inch HDD drives.

In fact, I am still in hunt for a case for large Full ATX build with 6 SATA 3.5inch drives.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 11:40   #4011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me, personally, I find it very difficult to justify such SkyHigh prices for a case. 7/8k for a case is too expensive for me.

In fact, I am still in hunt for a case for large Full ATX build with 6 SATA 3.5inch drives.
Hmm, 6 3.5" slots is looking for professional style cabinets but i am not sure if they will be available in your budget.

This one has 13 3.5" slots!

https://mdcomputers.in/ant-esports-v...net-black.html

Good luck
Old 28th December 2023, 13:42   #4012
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't recall how many hdd slots there are in my antec case, but there are two removable cages, four each I think. Yes, this is a server case, and absolutely not for a desktop machine.

The price? I don't remember, although if I dig deep enough I will have the invoice. It is now maybe 13 years old, and nearly three years into it's second MB incarnation. So long as the ATX series of MBs continues to exist, it will outlive me! (at max, another 20-something years). So it really doesn't matter how much I paid for it.

(Although I guess it felt like a lot at the time)

I'd guess that I was originally using 500Gb disks. Now it is 1Tb, and I even have one 4Tb, so perhaps the maximum number of discs doesn't matter so much. Although it doesn't entirely work like that: I didn't used to take tens of thousands of photos a year, and now I do!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:39   #4013
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is now maybe 13 years old, and nearly three years into it's second MB incarnation. So long as the ATX series of MBs continues to exist, it will outlive me! (at max, another 20-something years). So it really doesn't matter how much I paid for it.
All those Cabinets you are mentioning are like Rs. 400-500 range at time of purchase (even 8 years ago). Even with inflation taken into account, can't really see the point of such skyhigh prices. Foxin / Intex / Frontek / Zebronics & so on, local brands, cheap prices but strong build & used to get the job done.

Those Rs. 400/- cheap box used to have enough space for 4 x 3.5inch along with couple of 5.25inch ODD bay.

Brands are still there but those cabinets have just vanished.

I have few of them. Family always give me an earful whenever someone picks into the storeroom for some reason. Unable to use them since I have broken front panel slots for ODD & have lost that place holder thing, same with the rear slot brackets.

@deathwalkr

MD Computer is Kolkata based & I do like the one you mentioned. I will try to visit them physically to see if I can get some discount of the price compared to their online page.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 22:46   #4014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All those Cabinets you are mentioning are like Rs. 400-500 range at time of purchase (even 8 years ago).
I think that mine was not. As I mentioned, it is a substantial cabinet with two cages for hdd. It also has a completely separate section for the PSU.

I can't immediately lay hands on the invoice, but I have found two reviews:

Antec P183:

reviewed 2009 priced at US$139.95
reviewed 2017 priced at US$175.00 (Amazon)

It is no longer available

Antec P101 seems to offer similar at Rs.10,399. (Amazon.in)

I guess that a good, strong, quiet, steel PC case with server capacity isn't cheap.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 23:09   #4015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess that a good, strong, quiet, steel PC case with server capacity isn't cheap.
That's true, then again you dont cases like you used to.

I have a collection of old server cases, Antec TX1088AMG, CM Stacker 830, NZXT Phantom, Chieftec BH-02-BBB and couple others. Ive also moved away from multiple hard drives to a consolidated one big HDD, all packed into a small case. I now have a single 10TB HDD, will replace it with an 18/20 in couple of months

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_20220720_091428.jpg

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_20220720_153124.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 23:38   #4016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartrail View Post
External HDD, External SSD or SATA SSD in a enclosure (I am not sure whether SSD will be reliable in long term or not). It will be used once or twice a month for backup.

2. I have shortlisted below options:
Seagate One Touch External HDD 1 TB Rs. 5600
WD My Passport Portable 1TB Rs. 5600
I am skeptical about ordering HDD on Amazon due to chances of damaged HDD so will prefer offline.
For long term back up, HDD are better than SSD. If you are not in a hurry, look out for deals. I bought a 4 TB Seagate external hard drive with 3 years data recovery services in January of this year for around 7600.
And there's no problem about ordering HDD online from Amazon, I have been buying computer parts online including HDD and SSD since 2012. Have availed warranty replacement for both HDD and SSD bought online.
Ltinsane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 13:57   #4017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
...Ive also moved away from multiple hard drives to a consolidated one big HDD
Hmmm... Eggs and baskets?

I would not be comfortable with a single-HDD system. Warranty or not, they all fail sometime. It's not just a case of spreading the risk, but also of reducing the rebuild/restore time and effort when one is lost.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th December 2023 at 14:16.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 14:03   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm... Eggs and baskets?

I would not be comfortable with a single-HDD system. Warranty or not, they all fail sometime. It's not just a case of spreading the risk, but also of reducing the rebuild/restore time and effort when one is lost.
Yes - perfectly fair scenario. I have my mission critical data backed up, 3 copies in 3 separate 500GB hard drives since the last 13 years or so rest of the data on the 10TB drive as of now is just what I can download again, plus bandwidth is pretty cheap nowadays.

Earlier I had 3x 2TB and one 3TB HDDs, the 10TB has replaced all of them and made the cabling, partitioning etc much simpler.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 17:07   #4019
Distinguished - BHPian

Each to their own, but loose a single disc and the computer will not even start. I have at least two discs I can boot from, albeit only one of them is my current running system.

Apart from your HDD, do you use any SSD?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 17:31   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from your HDD, do you use any SSD?
Yes - The one you see in the picture is a Toshiba XD5 2TB enterprise grade nvme nicked from a server. Apart from that have a couple of 970 evo plus 500gb nvmes
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks