Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 22:58   #2266
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Bottomline: for me, WD remains the preferred choice, and I last bought a Seagate in 2010, but 3-4 WDCs in 2011.
I stopped buying Seagates in 2006 after getting refurbished drives as warranty replacements. Of course the primary driver was a simple lack of trust in Seagate's quality. Too many crashes and bad sectors, just unreliable. In the past 6 years I have had 1 WD die on me which was replaced by a brand new HDD.

Been with WD since then and staying put. I have about 10 drives including external e-SATA/USB, 3 WD 1TB Caviar Black and 1 300GB Velociraptor. The 'raptor has been kept as a backup - the boot drive is a Corsair 240GB SSD which boots my PC in ~9 seconds from the 'Starting windows' message. I just love the SSD!

Cheers!
Old 16th March 2012, 02:41   #2267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Neat looking specs, How is the FX series faring ? and do you mind sharing the cost since you mentioned this was on a budget.

I got a Western Digital Live Hub recently. Really needed one since my Hard Disk was very close to being full. Now the real pain in transferring all the media begins !
Sure! The price is all in CAD$

Cabinet: Antec ONE Gaming Series Mid-ATX Case ($25)
Mainboard: Asus M5A88-M ($95)
Processor: AMD FX 6100 6 core processor, 3.3GHz, 8Mb Cache ($129)
Memory: Kingston Hyper X 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 ($45)
HDD1: Patriot Pyro 60GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SSD) ($60)
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA3 ($100)
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD RW ($14)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6870 ($189)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ($80)

Total is around (CAD$ 737 + tax = Rs. 40k approx). I think the FX 6100 is pretty decent. I've read a lot of negative reviews about it, but it was a LOT cheaper than the intels - which were all $200+. That's the reason I went for the FX. Worst case, if it is really that bad, I will swap the MB and processor for something else at a later stage! But I've played a few games on it thus far - Dota2, NFS the run and COD MW3. They all seem to run fine on max gfx and 1920X1080 res.

Oh yeah, the western digital live is quite nice, but not useful in my situation. This desktop is hooked up to my 42" HDTV (so netflix etc is sorted). And I've got two of my external hard drives plugged into my ASUS RT-N56U router. So that's my workaround for network drives.

But I feel your pain! Transferring a gigs and gigs of data can be very frustrating
Old 16th March 2012, 11:46   #2268
BANNED

guys,

is it true that a 2tb hdd is more reliable than a 3tb hdd ? any study/research to that ?
Old 16th March 2012, 16:11   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
guys,

is it true that a 2tb hdd is more reliable than a 3tb hdd ? any study/research to that ?
Normally for the same platter size, a larger capacity will mean higher density which translates to lower reliability. This is for the same generation technology. As both 2TB and 3TB are new technology, 3TB should be marginally less reliable. What is of more relevance is that some MB do not recognize drives larger than 2TB. So check online for compatibility with large capacity drives.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 16:54   #2270
BANNED

kindly delete as answer researched

Last edited by rana_kirti : 16th March 2012 at 17:02.
Old 17th March 2012, 12:12   #2271
BHPian

The WD Live is good. Really loved it since my brother set it up with an LED TV and boy all the 720 and 1080p videos look awesome ! Had to buy another one for myself.

Came to yet another painful realization. Somehow I am unable to connect the Hub with my laptop over USB. WD did a bad job here. They do not include a USB cable atleast alongwith this device. Currently transferring media over LAN and I am not getting anything more than 4MB/sec. I guess thats the max for the Live Hub.

I think I should have bought this a couple of months earlier when the power supply was reliable ! Unable to keep transfer jobs overnight as the power supply is extremely erratic. Need to move to scripts to have this done.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:31   #2272
Senior - BHPian

I do not know much about reliability of higher disk sizes (specifically 2TB vs 3TB) but even without the recent price increases, 3TB quote at a higher per TB price than the 2TB ones.

Windows 7 and windows consumer preview have no problem with >2TB drives. After having 5 of 2TB hard drives, I am done with 2TB ones and will buy 3-4TB WD drives once prices decline, which could perhaps be late into 2012. They are slower than Seagates but at least there is the WD RMA. In addition, since these will be used for storage, somewhat lower random/read/write speeds and higher access times should not matter much. Plus, usually higher cap mech drives are faster than lower cap drives, so lower WD speeds should not matter.

>2TB will become widely available with modern OS and newer BIOSes. Storage is not an issue anyway in windows 7. I would prefer a small SSD for OS and storage on >2TB HDDs.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:59   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Can anyone give me the name of a good computer hardware seller in Pune?
You could try G.V. Sales. They are located opposite Mahesh Lunch Home on Moledina rd. I've been going to them for a last couple of years and have always found the lowest prices; infact, now that he knows me, he sorta price matches for me. PM me or something if you want their number or want any help from me.

Btw, what you wanna get?
Old 20th March 2012, 16:02   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Btw, what you wanna get?
I wanted to check the prices of Sabertooth X58 (for 1st gen Core i7), a good PSU (650 - 700W) and HAF922 cabinet.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:01   #2275
BHPian

My PC about 2 years old has the following config

AMD Phenom XII 555BE
MSI Mother board with Nvidia chipset
500 GB HDD
DVD RW
2X2 GB RAM.
450W Zebronics SMPS

I also had purchased a ATI Radeon 4350 card which went kaput after 6 months. I got a 4550 as a replacement instead which also went bad. Now I have been given a 4890 as replacement.

Will my power supply have enough juice to run this card?
Old 21st March 2012, 14:20   #2276
Senior - BHPian

any idea where i can get DDR2 1066MHz performance RAM? this is what i have right now (4x1GB) and want to upgrade (4x2GB).
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:35   #2277
BHPian

My Viewsonic 22" monitor is acting up (again ). Now in summer heat, the monitor seems to get hot, and when it does, it displays vertical grey stripes across the centre of the screen at intermittent duration. The duration decreases if kept powered on and displaying even when hot. No such thing when cold, and subsides if allowed to sleep/time out the display.

Has anyone experience similar behaviour ? I'm afraid to pry it open to clean it in the hope the dust accumulated once removed will solve the issue. There appear to be no screws to open the back panel.

Other alternative is to buy a new monitor, and now I see 3D monitors in the market. Is it worth buying a 3D monitor (future proofing my buy) , I see just 2 models in India yet, AOC's E2352PHz and LG D2342P , neither of which seem highly rated, just adequate. Neither seem to have 120Hz refresh rate either. Am I better of buying a regular 2D LED monitor ?
Old 24th March 2012, 00:34   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
any idea where i can get DDR2 1066MHz performance RAM? this is what i have right now (4x1GB) and want to upgrade (4x2GB).
I bought old stock off Ebay (Transcend AXE RAM DDR2 1066) 1GB sticks last year. DDR2 at such speed is rare. It was a specialty product back in the pre-DDR3 days.

2GB 1066MHz stick is definitely not available in India now. It is upto you to decide whether to buy it from abroad.

Ebay.in has good deals on used RAMs every once in a while. I suggest you look at performance 800MHz, which is available . I bought 4X2GB crucial Ballistix 800MHz for about 2K last year, and they've been running just fine at 977-1013 MHz @ 4-4-4-12. Also, they run @1066 (OC) if I use them with AXE RAM.
Old 24th March 2012, 01:50   #2279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci
...Other alternative is to buy a new monitor, and now I see 3D monitors in the market. Is it worth buying a 3D monitor (future proofing my buy) , I see just 2 models in India yet, AOC's E2352PHz and LG D2342P , neither of which seem highly rated, just adequate. Neither seem to have 120Hz refresh rate either. Am I better of buying a regular 2D LED monitor ?
3D TVs make lots of people feel sick. Many feel that 3D is the gadget that nobody wanted, even after they bought it. Team-BHP is going to be in 2D for ever, as are most of your computer applications. Do not even think about 3D!
Old 24th March 2012, 11:57   #2280
BHPian

@Thad_E_Ginathom:
I did browse a few pages/forums , some said the 3D gives them headaches, some love it and are happy watching 3D movies , some with 3D games (with a powerful CPU and GPU support of course). Some love the high refresh rate in 2D ( 120Hz true)

Yes, most static content will be 2D, and even 3D games are few, but movies in 3D are going to be more common. Maybe 3D gaming will take off even bigger, if slower. Let me see few more days, how the monitor copes while I read up some more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks