- Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200rpm
- Liteon 24X OEM SATA DVD Writer
- Sapphire Dual-X 280x 3GB DDR5
- Corsair VS650 PSU
- Cooler Master HAF-XB EVO
- Xigmatec XOF 120MM 14dB
- Logitech G602
Very impressive Manas.

Heard that its better to have 2 channels for RAM ie 2 @ 4GB rather than one stick. Any GPU suggestions for lighter gaming? I dont need very high end, but not very low end either.

Considering that, will a 450-500W PSU work? Planning to use i3 CPU. Also a cheaper microATX cabinet you can recommend.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:12   #2912
BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Very impressive Manas.

Heard that its better to have 2 channels for RAM ie 2 @ 4GB rather than one stick. Any GPU suggestions for lighter gaming? I dont need very high end, but not very low end either.

Considering that, will a 450-500W PSU work? Planning to use i3 CPU. Also a cheaper microATX cabinet you can recommend.
Yes. you are right. I intend to put in another 8GB stick to run in dual channel mode. I'd highly recommend AMD 270x GPU for you. Its an extremely good mid range card. Can play 90% of current gen games at high settings 1080p.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:57   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
Yes. you are right. I intend to put in another 8GB stick to run in dual channel mode.
for 4K gaming? 16GB will be a powerhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
I'd highly recommend AMD 270x GPU for you. Its an extremely good mid range card. Can play 90% of current gen games at high settings 1080p.
Thanks Manas. I am planning a i3 or i5, hope that will not cause issues for the AMD GPU.

Bit confused with the GB/DDR3 vs GDDR5 debate. Will a 1GB GDDR5 be better than a 2GB DDR3? I understand that DDR5 being new should run faster and is the future.
Old 18th December 2014, 19:39   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
for 4K gaming? 16GB will be a powerhouse.

Thanks Manas. I am planning a i3 or i5, hope that will not cause issues for the AMD GPU.

Bit confused with the GB/DDR3 vs GDDR5 debate. Will a 1GB GDDR5 be better than a 2GB DDR3? I understand that DDR5 being new should run faster and is the future.
No. There will not be any visible incompatibilities between the Intel cpu and AMD gpu. It mostly depends on the GPU drivers that dictate how well the game is rendered (provided CPU is processing well enough). You will in fact find some nvidia cards to perform better at some games but that's because these days game publishers tie up with GPU makers and tailor the drivers to run some games with higher optimisation.

Stay away from DDR3 based GPUs even if they have higher memory capacity. Though lesser in capacity DDR5 card will have substantially higher memory bandwidth. I recommended 270x since it has 2GB DDR3 with a bitrate of 256 bits.
Old 27th December 2014, 16:22   #2915
BHPian

Is there anyone here who is using a sapphire tri x R9 290/290x ?

Wanted to know if its able to handle the heat from them in Indian weather. Thinking of getting one
Old 27th December 2014, 16:59   #2916
Senior - BHPian

The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Is there anyone here who is using a sapphire tri x R9 290/290x ?

Wanted to know if its able to handle the heat from them in Indian weather. Thinking of getting one

I'm using a Tri-X R9 270x and no problems at all, even with the case closed. Check my posts above.
Old 27th December 2014, 18:26   #2917
BHPian

I would suggest you look at the new cards from nvidia instead. The prices are similar, but the nvidia cards are performing better. They also take in lower power and therefore tend to run a bit cooler.
Old 30th January 2015, 16:27   #2918
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope this is the right thread, but I need some help urgently. Yesterday everything was fine with my desktop running windows 7 OEM edition(not cracked or downloaded). I worked on a code for my project in Arduino had saved it in its program folder in C. I shut down the desktop at around 12AM today and when I started it a few minutes back, I get the biggest shock seeing my desktop starting up as if it was for the first time. To say it in short, all my programs were there, but everything reset to its first time state. Chrome was reset, my project codes were missing, each and every setting was initialised and what not. The desktop themes were missing, and a lot more.

Does anyone have an idea what could have happened? I didnt do a single thing related to any restore, reset or the like. Just casual browsing, coding and thats it. Now I am not finding a single document which was in C drive, but the rest of the data is still there. Is there a way I can recover the lost files?
Old 30th January 2015, 16:47   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Does anyone have an idea what could have happened? I didnt do a single thing related to any restore, reset or the like. Just casual browsing, coding and thats it. Now I am not finding a single document which was in C drive, but the rest of the data is still there. Is there a way I can recover the lost files?
I can think of the following:
1. The profile could have got corrupted.
2. Was the installation media still in drive ? Could others have re-installed
3. A Virus
Old 30th January 2015, 17:31   #2920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope this is the right thread, but I need some help urgently. Yesterday everything was fine with my desktop running windows 7 OEM edition(not cracked or downloaded). I worked on a code for my project in Arduino had saved it in its program folder in C. I shut down the desktop at around 12AM today and when I started it a few minutes back, I get the biggest shock seeing my desktop starting up as if it was for the first time. To say it in short, all my programs were there, but everything reset to its first time state. Chrome was reset, my project codes were missing, each and every setting was initialised and what not. The desktop themes were missing, and a lot more.

like Raghu said, your user profile might have been corrupted. sometimes Windows loads a default profile when it is having issues with the user profile that you're using; usually gets fixed automatically after some time. Run Scandisk on C drive and when you reboot, try logging into your profile.
Old 30th January 2015, 18:13   #2921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I can think of the following:
1. The profile could have got corrupted.
2. Was the installation media still in drive ? Could others have re-installed
3. A Virus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
like Raghu said, your user profile might have been corrupted. sometimes Windows loads a default profile when it is having issues with the user profile that you're using; usually gets fixed automatically after some time. Run Scandisk on C drive and when you reboot, try logging into your profile.
Thanks both of you for the help. I am slowly analysing what happened. Pardon my bad memory, but my friend who was with me remembers that I put the PC into hibernation yesterday in the evening. But later in the night I did start it and shut it down normally.

Now I found the documents in the usual folder(By following the path). It is intact, but when I click documents in my computer, it goes to a different folder altogether.

What I havent yet sorted out is the lost project files and the settings. I see that the documents folder has been separated and a new my documents has been created. I guess its a virus attack, though I havent used any external storage media or any other sources. Its gonna be a nice weekend for me. Fonts in chrome look horrible and I am not able to get back the old look, though it was stock before too.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:32   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
Now I found the documents in the usual folder(By following the path). It is intact, but when I click documents in my computer, it goes to a different folder altogether.

What I havent yet sorted out is the lost project files and the settings. I see that the documents folder has been separated and a new my documents has been created. I guess its a virus attack, though I havent used any external storage media or any other sources. Its gonna be a nice weekend for me. Fonts in chrome look horrible and I am not able to get back the old look, though it was stock before too.
That looks more like a profile corruption. Check if there are any floders starting with '~' in the users area. In which case you could those folders. If you have admin permissions, you could do a search for the files that existed in those folders

Check for virus is also a good measure.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:07   #2923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
That looks more like a profile corruption. Check if there are any floders starting with '~' in the users area. In which case you could those folders. If you have admin permissions, you could do a search for the files that existed in those folders

Check for virus is also a good measure.
Severe virus I guess. Now after another restart, again everything was wiped out including anti virus, browsers, and I also got a warning that my windows is counterfeit. Well I guess a reinstall is needed to I will take it to the computer shop tomorrow. Quite a new experience for me. Had never experienced this before in the last 15 yrs or so.
Old 16th February 2015, 18:35   #2924
BHPian

Recently got myself a Dell Alienware M17x.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (3.5 Ghz Turbo)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
8GB Nvidia GTX 880M
17.3 inch (439.42 mm) 120Hz WLED FHD (With 3D display)
8-cell Lithium Ion
2 TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64bit
5.1 Dolby Home Theatre Sound System on Klipsch Speakers

Someone has rightly said - This laptop is the Ducati Diavel of laptops.

Last edited by barcalad : 16th February 2015 at 18:36.
Old 16th February 2015, 18:48   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Recently got myself a Dell Alienware M17x.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (3.5 Ghz Turbo)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
8GB Nvidia GTX 880M
17.3 inch (439.42 mm) 120Hz WLED FHD (With 3D display)
8-cell Lithium Ion
2 TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64bit
5.1 Dolby Home Theatre Sound System on Klipsch Speakers

Someone has rightly said - This laptop is the Ducati Diavel of laptops.
Too bad its already outdated. 880M has been replaced by 980M around a month ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks