Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 18:54   #2806
BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quick update. I received a very prompt reply from Brother India as under. So much for this option!

We are also extremely sorry to inform you that the particular model is not available anymore in India, nor we can import it

But still, we would like to provide you with a brochure list for our current models which are available in our Brother Catalogue.

We would like you to go through it and check the models and decide which one would you like to go for instead HL2270
Old 25th August 2014, 19:28   #2807
Distinguished - BHPian

One can usually do duplex manually --- but if it is required for most jobs, and especially if it involves printing long documents, that is a big hassle. I did consider it a requirement.

I think that, when I found myself looking at Brother, I could not find it on PC-supply sites, but did so on some office-equipment sites. Maybe they don't have much interest in consumer market for some reason.

I thought long and hard before giving up full-colour printing, but, in the end, only had to answer honestly the question as to how often I really needed it. Really, not often --- and that is one of the reasons why inkjets become unusable, especially the universal-cartridge ones.

Quote:
there are some gadgets that can be used to enable an ethernet-only device to work over wifi. Like this one on Amazon. For the price though, it's not worth it.
Neat box

Quote:
Quick update. ...
Oh. Anything in their brochure that does suit?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th August 2014 at 19:30.
Old 25th August 2014, 19:47   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One can usually do duplex manually --- but if it is required for most jobs, and especially if it involves printing long documents, that is a big hassle.

Oh. Anything in their brochure that does suit?
Yes, manual duplex is a pain...but more importantly in my experience sometimes doing a manual duplex in a laser printer is problematic since if the static charge on the page (placed by the printing process) has not completely dissipated, putting the page in immediately afterwords (for the other side) causes the toner to misprint.

Here's their catalog. Range Jun'14.pdf

Out of fourteen different laser printer models, just two have wifi ! Your model is featured though.
Old 26th August 2014, 01:41   #2809
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the link.

I've never had image problems with hand-fed duplex, but I have had jammed pages, not to mention human error getting the page the wrong way round!

My printer does duplex by immediately taking each page back to print the other side.
Old 29th August 2014, 23:43   #2810

Here's my rig i built earlier this year:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6 GHz
NZXT Kraken X60
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
PNY 2x4GB 2133 MHz RAM
ASUS R9270X TOP
NZXT Source 530 Case
BenQ GW2450HM 24" Display

It's doing great so far, but I am planning to change my mobo so that I can comfortably do a Crossfire/ SLI setup in the near future (I am into racing sims)
Old 10th September 2014, 16:45   #2811
BHPian

I bought some parts today for a new replacement PC. These were bought from Supreme Electronics in Chandni Chowk after a great deal of online research. The principal reason for not choosing the online route is because Supreme does a great job managing warranty services especially for brands with very limited / nonexistent service centres (plus many brands give Kolkata a skip). For products they sell they take care of the warranty, no questions asked.

1. Intel 3.0 Ghz Pentium CPU G3220 -- Rs 3360 [This is the new Hasswell architecture whose prices have dropped sharply in the last two months. The shop did not stock supply of the older but still sold ivy-bridge architecture G2020 -- although I could not make out any material advantage to this 'new' CPU]

(Amazon Rs 3610, Flipkart Rs 3643) so a potential Gain of Rs 250

2. Gigabyte P4 GA-B85M D3H motherboard -- Rs 5880

(Amazon is Rs 5544, Flipkart Rs 5494, Snapdeal is Rs 5187) so potential Loss of Rs 693

3. Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz RAM 1 x 8 GB -- Rs 5565

(Amazon - Rs 5999, Snapdeal Rs 6104, Flipkart is Rs 5750) so potential Gain of Rs 185

4. Cabinet -- branded as 'Zebronics' - Rs 1575 [It has two fans and a 450W SMPS]

(don't anticipate any loss or gain on such a purchase)

plus Petrol, parking, cost of metro, etc. = Rs 100 + two hours

They did not have the Samsung 2166W laser printer I was looking for but did have a 'new' Canon LBP6030W model priced at Rs 6400 which they were aggressively marketing (on grounds that the Samsung toner is hard to get). Maybe I will buy that after some more research.

So in the end a loss of about Rs 358 compared to buying online. But definitely worth it for the peace of mind and the convenience.

Last edited by Kumar R : 10th September 2014 at 16:49.
Old 15th September 2014, 00:59   #2812
BHPian

I've been very keen on getting a Small Form Factor system for regular usage and finally settled on the following package:

1. Gigabyte Brix (NUC Form Factor) Barebone with i5-4570R CPU (GB-BXi5-4570R).
2. Corsair 2x4GB 2133MHz 1.35V SO-DIMM Memory Kit (CMSX8GX3M2B2133C11).
3. Kingston 120GB mSATA SSD.
4. Dell UZ2315H Monitor with Integrated FHD Webcam, 2x5W Speakers & Dual Microphones and 5 year warranty.
5. Logitech MK200 Keyboard + Mouse Combo.

Total Price: Rs. 57,000 + 5% ST = 59,850.

Purchased from SGS Infosolutions Private Limited in Nehru Place (New Delhi).
The system still has the further possibility to add a 2.5" HDD to provide ample space for the largest file stores!
I find it to be the most delightful system ever and most certainly recommend it to anyone who may be interested in a similar solution.
Old 16th September 2014, 22:25   #2813
Senior - BHPian

something that might help

How to select a Motherboard - Guide/Tutorial
Old 25th September 2014, 19:35   #2814
BHPian

I was trying to install my age old evergreen Windows XP on the new PC assembled from hardware I bought last week. The installation CD refused to detect my HDD. No solution as in sight and even my poor brother who works for the people who made XP had no idea. Finally I discovered that the problem was the SATA interface which XP has no native support for. I had to go to the BIOS and turn on legacy (IDE) compatibility in order for the Win XP installer to recognise the HDD. Now I have to find a way to install the SATA drivers so I use the higher speeds of transfer.
Old 26th September 2014, 00:14   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

4. Cabinet -- branded as 'Zebronics' - Rs 1575 [It has two fans and a 450W SMPS]
You should've bought atleast a Corsair VS400 SMPS. Very well worth the price (~1900) and offers peace of mind wrt high voltages and variations in power that we get.
Old 26th September 2014, 00:15   #2816
BHPian

Here is my rig:
i7 4930k @3.40ghz
32gb ram
Nvidia gtx 770m 4gb
Cooler master cabinet
Lg 24 inches full hd monitor
3tb 7200 rpm hard disk
120gb ssd for os
All current games run buttery smooth at max out settings.
Premiere pro effects render at real time in video editing.
Old 26th September 2014, 01:09   #2817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I discovered that the problem was the SATA interface which XP has no native support for. I had to go to the BIOS and turn on legacy (IDE) compatibility in order for the Win XP installer to recognise the HDD. Now I have to find a way to install the SATA drivers so I use the higher speeds of transfer.
I use Linux. But I have had a "legacy" XP partition, available for booting if wanted, on this and on my previous PC. Both used SATA discs and I have not had any problem, or, as far as I remember, had to do anything special to install/run XP with them.

Could it be a very early copy of XP? Could it be a service pack thing? But my copy of XP must be well over ten years old.
Old 26th September 2014, 01:24   #2818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
You should've bought atleast a Corsair VS400 SMPS. Very well worth the price (~1900) and offers peace of mind wrt high voltages and variations in power that we get.
Thanks, I think SMPS' are highly underestimated and we skimp on money on these unloved bits of hardware. Fortunately by luck more than anything else I have never had a problem with these cheap SMPS and now that I own another, I hope it continues. Wish I knew this tip before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I use Linux. But I have had a "legacy" XP partition, available for booting if wanted, on this and on my previous PC. Both used SATA discs and I have not had any problem, or, as far as I remember, had to do anything special to install/run XP with them.

Could it be a very early copy of XP? Could it be a service pack thing? But my copy of XP must be well over ten years old.
No, Thad, this is 32 bit XP SP1. I also have another PC with a motherboard that supports both IDE and SATA and there's no problem with the SATA HDD on that one (c. 2007 build) - XP works fine, no hitch. But this motherboard is new, with a new intel socket and a new chip generation so may be something to do with that. The only 'help' I found is a series of opinions that suggest using a tool called nLite to burn a modified version of the Win XP CD by also burning the motherboard SATA drivers (called 'slipstreaming'). There's no solution to installing SATA drivers after the XP install has been made using the IDE-legacy mode. In fact if I revert to the original SATA mode, the machine refuses to boot and gets stuck on the 'Windows did not load ok' screen See this well written article - that's the problem I partly have (except they solve it by getting the drivers first whereas I installed XP by changing the mode first):

http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite
Old 26th September 2014, 09:07   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had to go to the BIOS and turn on legacy (IDE) compatibility in order for the Win XP installer to recognise the HDD. Now I have to find a way to install the SATA drivers so I use the higher speeds of transfer.
One easy way out is to run XP inside a VM. That way, XP gets a hardware environment it knows about.
Old 26th September 2014, 09:38   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Posting in this thread after a long time.
I got a new PC for myself around an year or so ago.
Processor : Intel Core i5 3450
RAM : A-Data 1333 4GB X 1
Mobo : Intel D75 (or D79)
PSU : Iball Sprinter 600W
Graphic Card : nvidia GT630 2 GB GDDR3
Cabinet : CM 300 ( cant remember this )

Considering my changed professional tasks, I am no longer able to find time like enthusiasts. What I used to do earlier, not even 1% is being done now. Computer is like an entertainment device or a tool for tasks. However, I do play games like COD, BattleField, etc. It runs fine. I might upgrade RAM and OS ( current is Windows 7 ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks