Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 01:41   #2671
Team-BHP Support

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thank you. I like the sound of the 'yoga' for loungin on the sofa, but as my posture is bad enough at the desk it is probably a bad idea --- and it is supposed to be for Mrs G anyway!

I'm still favouring Lenovo, but, anyway, the purchase is postponed. Postponed for how long? One day soon, that old Compaq is not going to boot even! Might be tomorrow...

Lenovo's various ranges are baffling, but it is the Thinkpad that is the sturdy one, I think? The one that still has a bit of the old IBM feel about it?
Thinkpads aren't what they used to be. Solid machines still, but not the same as the IBM-made tanks build-wise.

My work laptop is a Thinkpad T420. i5 2520M 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD Hard Drive, Windows 7 Pro. 2 years on, still boots in under a minute, smooth performance with no lags, never crashed on me once, decent battery backup and survived several rides in airport laptop trays without any damage. Good as new, I'd say.

I believe Lenovo have replaced the model with T430 (regular SATA hard drive) & T430U (SATA & SSD hard drive options). Costs about 82k INR & 86k INR respectively. Might be overkill though, depending on what your requirements are.

Check them out:

http://www.thedostore.com/laptops/th...k-2349o92.html

http://www.thedostore.com/laptops/th...k-62732sq.html

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th August 2013 at 02:06.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:23   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Thanks ARoy.

That is a great system you have there.

The CAD softwares are cpu license based and so I cannot use more than 1 core in a quad-core cpu. Also, I do not have any data if ECC based RAM will provide me with any benefits. Would you know anything about that.

How is service for Tyan? I am in Gujarat and have not heard or seen any service centers for Tyan. I will go through the other links now.
The CPU based software now a days count the CPU not cores. Please check the licensing agreement. If you let me know which software you use, I can find out. Most of the major software licenses allow the use of upto two physical CPU (mostly free at times at a marginal cost)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...inkID=21208795
Old 28th August 2013, 21:21   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The CPU based software now a days count the CPU not cores. Please check the licensing agreement. If you let me know which software you use, I can find out. Most of the major software licenses allow the use of upto two physical CPU (mostly free at times at a marginal cost)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...inkID=21208795
The software is CAD + CFD. Per core licensing is a rip off. Most of the FEA, CFD softwares like Ansys, Fluent etc. are licensed based on cores.
Old 29th August 2013, 09:53   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
The software is CAD + CFD. Per core licensing is a rip off. Most of the FEA, CFD softwares like Ansys, Fluent etc. are licensed based on cores.

Here are specs for the new HP workstation
http://www.deskeng.com/articles/aabmdx.htm
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:44   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Thinkpads aren't what they used to be. Solid machines still, but not the same as the IBM-made tanks build-wise.
Apart from the apparent cost-cutting, the Thinkpad branded laptops are no longer sold at stores so I switched to the Ideapad line, apart from laptops from the Toshiba brand.

I always thought Panasonic Toughbooks were the only step up from Thinkpads. Then, I saw a Panasonic Toughbook with a piece of the case missing after falling onto concrete. Since then, I thought the premium for a Toughbook just isn't worth it. The Dell Rugged laptops do seem pretty good - with a solid state drive, they should be able to take quite a bit of abuse, though the weakest bits would remain the screen and the keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Tyan MB
The Tyan motherboard sounds like a good buy for software developers. On most systems, there's usually not enough RAM to run a few virtual machines. The Tyan motherboards have enough RAM sockets for just about anything!
Old 29th September 2013, 11:27   #2676
BHPian

I am upgrading my desktop internals soon, possibly tomorrow. Have finalized on the configuration, just would like to know whether i can get more for the same budget

Motherboard:ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor:i5 4430
Ram:Gskill 4GB 1600MHz
GC:Asus GTX 760 DC II
SMPS:Corsair TX 750

No overclocking planned. The Z87 is just so that i can go SLI in the future. The above setup will go with my Dell U2312 monitor and HAF 912 cabinet. Total budget is 60k.

Before anyone asks why i didnt post a query in some tech forum, i didnt want to sign on just to ask one question. Your suggestions are eagerly awaited
Old 29th September 2013, 13:45   #2677
BHPian

I don't know if cross fire or Sli is really worth the effort, with issues in most of the new games and a lot of driver fixes. I would look at sticking to one powerful gpu instead.

In this case look at a H series mobo, as the Z series is of no extra value without a K processor. I am sure some of the H series mobos can handle Sli and cf if required.
Old 29th September 2013, 17:32   #2678
Distinguished - BHPian

Presenting the Corsair 900D

I had booked this case in Apr '13 and after a 5 month long wait it has finally arrived. Presenting the Corsair 900D, one of the most beautiful cases I've seen. Well, it is very large, 27" H x 10" W & 26" D. but a bit smaller than the CM Cosmos II which is heavier (22 Kgs empty v/s 18 with the 900D) and wider (13" v/s 10"). The Cosmos II generally gets reactions of 'What the hell is that?'

The CM has more bling while the 900D is pretty classy (IMO), some may even say bland and old fashioned. But both cases cabinets/chassis/cases take a ton of hardware and can handle nearly any type of cooling you may want to throw at em. The 900D can take 2 ATX PSUs.

I have just attained computer case nirvana.
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-900d-carton.jpg  

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-900d-case.jpg  

Old 30th September 2013, 01:54   #2679
BHPian

Re: Presenting the Corsair 900D

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Presenting the Corsair 900D, one of the most beautiful cases I've seen. Well, it is very large, 27" H x 10" W & 26" D. but a bit smaller than the CM Cosmos II which is heavier (22 Kgs empty v/s 18 with the 900D) and wider (13" v/s 10").
That looks perfect for setting up a workstation or an office server.

These days stores are only carrying the all-in-one desktops and there are no touch-screen monitors available, so I wonder if case manufacturers will be discontinuing their operations in the foreseeable future. Offices are issuing laptops instead of desktops, so corporate sales of regular desktops are on the decline too.

I'm hoping they don't do away with desktop computers as we know them - built with replaceable components, upgradeable, and cheaper than laptops with comparable specs.
Old 30th September 2013, 02:37   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Has anyone tried ECS motherboards. They come in micro atx form. I heard some good review online and offline. One of my friend brought ECS H61H2-M17 (for 2800/-), and is happy with the performance, but it is for intel. I am an AMD fan, so wanted a MB for AMD.

Can anyone Suggest me a good ecs mb and amd processor. Thanks
If you want an all round machine, get this processor with included graphics.
And a55 chipset MB- basic
a75 chipset MB- USB3 and SATA3
a 85 chipset MB only if you're overclocking or need extra graphics.

Get the a10 5800 processor.

If you just need a basic processor a4 4000 with IGP is incredible value for money with processor +MB running less than 6k .

http://www.flipkart.com/amd-a10-5800...arch&pageNum=1

http://www.flipkart.com/m/m-search-a...submit-form=Go

http://www.flipkart.com/amd-a4-4000-...arch&pageNum=1
Old 30th September 2013, 09:25   #2681
Senior - BHPian

R2D2 are you planning to watercool? If not, this is not a very good case since it has no front intake. Even I moved from a CM Stacker 830 to a Corsair 650D. Had the budget for the 700D/800D/900D but neither of those are suited for air. If you have an elaborate loop for cooling your GPU/CPU then there's no better case than the 900D. However for air cooling, one is better off with the 650D since it has a proper front intake.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:20   #2682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
R2D2 are you planning to watercool? If not, this is not a very good case since it has no front intake. Even I moved from a CM Stacker 830 to a Corsair 650D. Had the budget for the 700D/800D/900D but neither of those are suited for air. If you have an elaborate loop for cooling your GPU/CPU then there's no better case than the 900D. However for air cooling, one is better off with the 650D since it has a proper front intake.
Currently only the CPU is liquid cooled but I am planning to install a custom loop water to cool not just the CPU but include the power MOSFETS, North/South Bridge and GPU. But this will come later as it involves importing nearly all the parts from abroad and they are expensive. Looking at either Swiftech or Koolance which I had first used back in 2004.

BTW, the 900D has 3 fans on its front air intake behind the fascia. See the 2nd photo from top

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/559...ew/index4.html

While this is a case built for watercooling, air cooling will also do though one would be wasting most of the key features of this case including the capabilities to take on large and multiple rads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
That looks perfect for setting up a workstation or an office server.

These days stores are only carrying the all-in-one desktops and there are no touch-screen monitors available, so I wonder if case manufacturers will be discontinuing their operations in the foreseeable future. Offices are issuing laptops instead of desktops, so corporate sales of regular desktops are on the decline too.

I'm hoping they don't do away with desktop computers as we know them - built with replaceable components, upgradeable, and cheaper than laptops with comparable specs.
Yes, this could take a multi CPU workstation or server board.

Custom cases are not meant for run-of-the-mill desktop PCs and certainly not for corporates.

As long as there are enthusiasts Corsair, Coolermaster, Lian Li, Antec, etc will continue to make cases and power supplies.

And I for one am not charmed by tiny tablet screens (I have a 10" Samsung Tab). To me they are toys by comparision. I need a laptop or desktop that has a 15" or bigger screen and can run real programs not light weight apps.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:27   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Yep looks like this one has an intake unlike the 700/800. However the front fascia seems to block much of the airflow. Also completely agree - aircooling in this case is kind of pointless altogether - unless one needs space for tonnes of hard drives.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:23   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
However the front fascia seems to block much of the airflow.

- unless one needs space for tonnes of hard drives.
We can take off the fascia/bezel & expose the air filter behind it..right in front of the intake fans. That may alleviate the airflow issue a bit. But it will certainly result in frequent cleanings of the filter.

Out-of-the-box this thing can take 9 HDDs and it goes up to 15 after you buy 2 optional drive bays that can hold 3 drives each. Why Corsair chose to make these 2 drive bays an option in their flagship case is beyond me.

More drive bays are overkill for me at this time. I have 4 drives including a SSD, and may add 1-2 high capacity drives as my music/movie collection expands. Lack of disk space and HDD mounting brackets will not be an issue in the near future.

At this time I am more interested in a 8-12 TB NAS solution for backups & storage of media files that can in turn be streamed over my home wi-fi & wired Gigabit network.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:59   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
More drive bays are overkill for me at this time. I have 4 drives including a SSD, and may add 1-2 high capacity drives as my music/movie collection expands. Lack of disk space and HDD mounting brackets will not be an issue in the near future.

At this time I am more interested in a 8-12 TB NAS solution for backups & storage of media files that can in turn be streamed over my home wi-fi & wired Gigabit network.
What is more important is to have sufficient ports to connect the drives. My system has 8x3.5" bays and 4x5" bays. I have a hot plug cage for 4 drives in the 3 5" bays, but only 2 drives in the rest of the space as my MB supports only 6 SATA drives. For additional drives I have to get a separate SATA controller.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks