Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:49   #2701
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
The box mentions its 7750 and GPU core clock matches with whats written on the box.
All good - nothing to be worried about! 7750 has 512 shader processors.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd December 2013 at 15:59.
Old 24th December 2013, 09:24   #2702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
All, need advice !!
Planning to get rid of my 1.5 year old Macbook pro 13.
================
What choices do i have now?
Hello there,
When buying a high-performance pc, the fact that branded computers offer very little customizing options tends to get frustating.
Also, a branded pc is always going to cost you more than an assembled one, and I feel the Optiplex is pretty expensive for its config. You could get the same config for much less with an assembled pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Dont have a LCD/LED monitor. So an All in one desktop would be prefered (Full HD
Not having an LCD/LED monitor is absolutely no reason to go in for an all-in-one. You can get an LED full HD monitor for ~9k. Personally I feel you should go with an assembled PC. Though, you may not get a touchscreen monitor with an assembled build. Do not worry about actually assembling the computer, most shops from where you buy the components will assemble it for you for free.
Let me know if you'd like to go with an assembled PC, and I'll be more than happy to look up the best config for your budget. Also, please specify if you would want a graphics card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I have installed a Asus AMD Radeon 7750 GPU in my desktop with Win 8 pro. Yesterday I happened to check the control panel and it shows AMD radeon 7700 series instead of 7750. Is it ok or I have been cheated?

Also Asus GPU tweak control states the same which is AMD Radeon 7700 series when I click on GPU info.
Nothing to worry buddy, 7700 series denotes that you have a 77xx graphics card. As long as it says 7 series, you've definitely not been cheated.
My 5770 card too shows up as 5700 series.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:48   #2703
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Hello there,
When buying a high-performance pc, the fact that branded computers offer very little customizing options tends to get frustating.
Also, a branded pc is always going to cost you more than an assembled one, and I feel the Optiplex is pretty expensive for its config.

Not having an LCD/LED monitor is absolutely no reason to go in for an all-in-one. You can get an LED full HD monitor for ~9k. Personally I feel you should go with an assembled PC. Though, you may not get a touchscreen monitor with an assembled build.

Let me know if you'd like to go with an assembled PC, and I'll be more than happy to look up the best config for your budget. Also, please specify if you would want a graphics card.
Ron, Thanks for the information!
I know that branded machines offer less for what they give. But their warranty is good.

Reason for choosing a branded machine were as follows.
- Small form factor.
- Quality components.
I am pretty sure that the fans provided in assembled machines are not good. They just do work. But not effectively.
- Packaging.
The branded machines are well packed. But the case is not same with assembeld ones.
- Properly tested.
There might be some cases, wherein the selected hardware might not gel wel with the cabinet. This leads to components getting overheated. I myself was a victim of assembled PC's. Because of SMPS failure, The whole MB blew. Replaced MB, the new one blew in couple of days. Lot of time got wasted in debugging + Going to computer shops, getting new components. Plugging in, changing OS, etc, etc. Just wanted to stay away from this Ofcourse this happend 4-5 years ago.
- Too much wiring.
With Branded PC's this could be mitigated. I think so,

I agree on the hardware part. we can get better hardware when we assemble PC's. Not worried about assembling. But i doubt the quality of Power supplies, cabinets, ROM's available in our cities. In hyd, we can get all computer parts from Chenoy trade centre, which is renowned for selling used/Refurbished power supply units. These blokes even duplicate the branded PSU's. Thank god they dont have enough expertise to clone motherboards and processors.

I would love to see your hardware selection. Would you please do it for me?

Last edited by gemi_kk : 24th December 2013 at 11:50. Reason: Removing extra Smiley

Old 24th December 2013, 12:12   #2704
BHPian

Hi, I really dont agree with what you have noted in your post, but then I guess if one has had a bad experience in the past they kind of stay away from assembled. Basically, if you are sure of the components that you want (by research or by checking with people on forums) then assembled would work out much better than a branded one. In fact the branded ones come with crappy fans and SMPS. If you go for an assembled one, you can choose to put in a better quality SMPS and fans, or better components, depending on what you want.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:23   #2705
BHPian

Hi All,
Can somebody suggest if the below config is decent enough to play blu ray rips, occasional gaming.

I'm upgrading from a Pentium D and am on a very tight budget.

Processor : Intel G2020 2.9Ghz.
Mother board : LGA 1155 motherboard - Yet to finalise on this . There are several options available. I'm looking for a mother board which supports upto 1600 Mhz and 32gb RAM, HDMI port . Intel has one mother board with these specs at around INR 4700. Link from Flipkart : http://www.flipkart.com/intel-dz75ml...4-e8064a25daaf

Ram : 4gb x 1 1600 Mhz DDR3

Cabinet and SMPS : Yet to decide and budget is max 3-3.5k. Might upgrade the SMPS later when I buy a GPU and settle for a regular SMPS for now.
Do not require a Monitor(Have a Dell S2240L), Speakers, keyboard, mouse and HDD. Bought all of them recently.
Old 27th December 2013, 23:44   #2706
BHPian

Happy New Year to all in advance.
My present processor AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2.01 ghz is getting 7 years old next month and I am feeling it quite slow now. So I am going to upgrade my system with following configuration.
Description Price Rs. (prices are from flipkart, I may get lower price at Lamington Road in Mumbai)
Processor AMD A8 5600K - 7000
Motherboard ASUS F2A85V PRO - for Display Port -10600
( in near future going for new Monitor with Display Port. Presently I am using LG M237WA full HD Monitor/TV with 2 HDMI ports for last 4 years) Kindly suggest monitor minimum 24 inch with Display Port.
RAM Kingston HyperX or Corsair Vengeance 4 GB 1600 -2500 to 2700
Cabinet Cooler Master (suggest some model)
SMPS Cooler Master Thunder 450w or Corsair CX430 -2600 to 3000
I am not gamer hence not going with AMD FX or Intel i5 processors or dedicated graphic card. Casual gaming by some one else can be done with A series processor.
Not going with intel i3. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 27th December 2013 at 23:47.
Old 5th January 2014, 21:44   #2707
BHPian

Hey. I'm looking to upgrade the RAM(DDR2) of my desktop.

Snapdeal and Flipkart have 2 GB at ~ Rs. 2,000; where as Shopclues has Hynix 2 GB at Rs. 1,250. Am I reading this right ? This is too good to be true.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:20   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Processor AMD A8 5600K Casual gaming by some one else can be done with A series processor.
Not going with intel i3. Suggestions are welcome.
Seems like you have already selected the processor I was going to suggest. The A8 can surprise you with its performance I believe. If you are a casual gamer and would not opt for a discrete gpu later on, then you can do away with a 350w psu IMO.
For the RAM part I suggest you take a look at AMD's RAM. I read somewhere that these integrated gpus need faster RAMs, hence faster clocks, since they do not have much dedicated memory. So, I suggest you buy 2*2 GB (to dual channel it) of 1600/1800 Mhz (the clocks make noticeable difference in gaming) RAM, and Corsair Vengeance would be apt for the purpose, although the Corsair value select series is also good.
Good luck.
Old 6th January 2014, 20:29   #2709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
For the RAM part I suggest you take a look at AMD's RAM. I read somewhere that these integrated gpus need faster RAMs, hence faster clocks, since they do not have much dedicated memory. So, I suggest you buy 2*2 GB (to dual channel it) of 1600/1800 Mhz (the clocks make noticeable difference in gaming) RAM, and Corsair Vengeance would be apt for the purpose, although the Corsair value select series is also good.
Good luck.
Thanks for your suggestion. Any specific reason for 2 sticks of 2 GB instead of 1 stick of 4 GB?
I have read somewhere that Corsair Vengeance is bigger In size and One may not be able to install aftermarket CUP cooler.
Is CUP cooler required or stock cooler supplied shall be sufficient?
Previously I did not get any trouble with stock cooler.
Old 6th January 2014, 20:56   #2710
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Any specific reason for 2 sticks of 2 GB instead of 1 stick of 4 GB?
I have read somewhere that Corsair Vengeance is bigger In size and One may not be able to install aftermarket CUP cooler.
The reason is that each RAM stick has a specific read/write bandwidth, therefore having 2 sticks (even if dissimilar in size) doubles the read/write bandwidth (you may understand it as having a single 2lt water bottle or two 1lt bottles, knowing that you can extract faster from 2 bottles).
You may get a 4 GB stick and add another 2 GB later on. The point is, dual channel it for better performance.

Corsair Vengeance are a tad bigger than normal sized RAMs, but it depends upon your motherboard if the RAMs will interfere with CPU coolers or not, although traditionally the RAM slots are quite near the CPU. Having said that, you really do not need an aftermarket coolers, unless you are madly overclocking and 'rediscovering' the chip.
You can do with adding 1 or 2 extra fans on the cabinet.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:54   #2711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason for two sticks is that in case the MB supports dual channel read/write then the data will be transferred from both the sticks simultanously. In general it is advisable to have both the sticks of the same size and speed to maximize the data transfer.
Old 13th January 2014, 16:14   #2712
Senior - BHPian

It is also better to estimate the RAM requirement (speed and size) upfront and then buy a kit. eg 16GB in 4*4 GB (for quad channel) or 2*8 GB (for dual channel).

On my motherboard at least (ASUS x79), I bought a 4*4 GB 1866 MHz G-skill kit (chipset natively supports only 1600 MHz). However, XMP is supported on a kit and overall stability is far superior than if I had bought in bits and pieces from different manufacturers.

This was in mid 2012 and although since then, 2133 has become the new preferred option for many review sites, RAM prices have also increased. So I will keep 1866 (16GB of 1866 is more than enough for me) and go with DDR4/x99 in late 2015.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:01   #2713
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I am in the Market for a new Motherboard+CPU+RAM. I have a Core2Duo which had a few overheating instances due to a cleaning session gone bad and now it just fails to multitask without pauses. Pardon me for too many questions.

I found the AMD range of processors quite attractive WRT the general specs like no. of cores, clock speed etc. However when I started reading comparos of these CPUS with intel they were found to be rated inferior. But I find that intel CPUs are very expensive for the specs they offer. For the price of an AMD 8 core processor, I am getting an i3 with two cores and the same clock speed.

My requirements are mainly processing power since I work on Audio, Video(Not any advanced graphics or rendering) and images. I am NOT a gamer and the benchmarks which pointed out to Gaming experience dont hold good for me. If there is anything that I care about graphics then I should be able to watch a full HD movie without any struggle and some other apps running in parallel when watching movie. Current PC fails to play 1080i without breaks.

I have a max budget of 25k just for CPU, MB, RAM and a case. Not specific about a branded case and iBall etc can do good. Also I am particular about the MB having good onboard audio and a decent onboard GPU. Currently I have the following in mind:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 - Rs. 4600 - Has onboard ATI Radeon HD 3000 as well as 8 channel rear audio.

CPU - AMD FX 8120 - Rs 9310 - Has onboard graphics

Ram - 4GB - Will add another 4GB later - Rs 2500

Case + PSU - iBall(some design I liked) - Rs 2000

Any changes that can be made? I thought of a better MB but that requires a dedicated GPU which I am not interested in.

Also, do you think an intel processor in the same range of less than 10k will perform better than the AMD I have chosen?

Which is the better choice between the FX and the A10 series? More cores or higher clock speed? I also read that A10 doesnt have graphics onboard. So will it work with the motherboard I have chosen?

Also please enlighten me about the graphics part. FX supports onboard graphics and the ASUS M5A78L also supports graphics with different ports. So does that mean I will have two GPUS? Or in case I hook an A10 5800K onto the M5A78 mother board, will it still require a graphics card? I am confused on that aspect.

Or is it a better idea to go for a quad core processor of the A10 series and spend the difference amount on a graphics card?
Old 25th January 2014, 14:17   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys I am in the Market for a new Motherboard+CPU+RAM. I have a Core2Duo which had a few overheating instances due to a cleaning session gone bad and now it just fails to multitask without pauses. Pardon me for too many questions.

I found the AMD range of processors quite attractive WRT the general specs like no. of cores, clock speed etc. However when I started reading comparos of these CPUS with intel they were found to be rated inferior. But I find that intel CPUs are very expensive for the specs they offer. For the price of an AMD 8 core processor, I am getting an i3 with two cores and the same clock speed.

My requirements are mainly processing power since I work on Audio, Video(Not any advanced graphics or rendering) and images. I am NOT a gamer and the benchmarks which pointed out to Gaming experience dont hold good for me. If there is anything that I care about graphics then I should be able to watch a full HD movie without any struggle and some other apps running in parallel when watching movie. Current PC fails to play 1080i without breaks.

I have a max budget of 25k just for CPU, MB, RAM and a case. Not specific about a branded case and iBall etc can do good. Also I am particular about the MB having good onboard audio and a decent onboard GPU. Currently I have the following in mind:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 - Rs. 4600 - Has onboard ATI Radeon HD 3000 as well as 8 channel rear audio.

CPU - AMD FX 8120 - Rs 9310 - Has onboard graphics

Ram - 4GB - Will add another 4GB later - Rs 2500

Case + PSU - iBall(some design I liked) - Rs 2000

Any changes that can be made? I thought of a better MB but that requires a dedicated GPU which I am not interested in.

Also, do you think an intel processor in the same range of less than 10k will perform better than the AMD I have chosen?

Which is the better choice between the FX and the A10 series? More cores or higher clock speed? I also read that A10 doesnt have graphics onboard. So will it work with the motherboard I have chosen?

Also please enlighten me about the graphics part. FX supports onboard graphics and the ASUS M5A78L also supports graphics with different ports. So does that mean I will have two GPUS? Or in case I hook an A10 5800K onto the M5A78 mother board, will it still require a graphics card? I am confused on that aspect.

Or is it a better idea to go for a quad core processor of the A10 series and spend the difference amount on a graphics card?
Greetings audioholic,
Firstly, to compare Intel and AMD cpus w.r.t. cores and clock speeds is not a good idea. Intel generally is more efficient with their cores, clock speeds and power consumption.
For instance I have a core i3-2120 3.3 Ghz 2 cores/4 threads, and it is just 65 watt tdp and is still very much comparable to AMD's 125 W quad cores with 3.6 Ghz, etc.
There is a webpage that I consider for checking out CPUs (cpubenchmark (.) net), it gives performance ratings to each cpu.
Since you say that the main thing you are looking for is processing power and you work on audio and video, there is something known as single threaded performance, which you need to know about.
Consider this as the max processing power a single core has got in the multi-core cpu. This is where Intel overpowers AMD at almost every price range. Heck my i3-2120 has better single thread performance than many octa/hex/quad core AMDs and even some i5s.
And you really shouldn't go with a mobo with integrated graphics, because neither they are very strong GPUs and you are just wasting money if you opt for an APU or Intel with good integrated graphics, and also these mobos are priced higher.
The intel alternative I recommend you closest to the fx-8120 in terms of performance is i5-4430 (priced around 12000).
Its like 8 weak cores vs 4 strong cores. Although the combined processing power of the octa-core may be more, but the quad-core will perform better in programs unable to split their work into as many as 8 threads. When encoding decoding a video, only a single core can work on a single video file, or atmost 2. With AMD you may convert 8 files simultaneously, which is good in some ways, but for converting a single large file you are pretty much not there. With i5, you are better off I feel. With the i5 4430 you are getting Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU which is a decent chip (and better than graphics provided by fx-8120) and if you are not a gamer will more than suffice your audio/video needs.
Most programs/games today are only optimized well for dual cores and at-most quad cores.
And brother I am not saying AMDs are not good, for the price and raw processing power, the fx-8120 will eat up pretty much any processor. But, its just that 8 cores is a kind of an overkill if you are not a multi-tasking geek.
And, more to that, intel CPUs are considered more reliable and have a longer life span.
The choice is absolutely yours, with whichever product you feel more comfortable with
Old 25th January 2014, 18:58   #2715
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the informative post! As I told, I am a noob in computer stuff. I need a moderately powerful setup. Not at all into gaming or high performance stuff. However I agree on the video part. I would prefer fast encoding and thats why I felt more cores would do good. But now going your post I feel each core must work fast.

Quote:
Greetings audioholic,
Firstly, to compare Intel and AMD cpus w.r.t. cores and clock speeds is not a good idea. Intel generally is more efficient with their cores, clock speeds and power consumption.
I dont mind this actually. I did read about heating and stuff. But neither electricity bills or heating issue bothers me since the comp will be sitting in a chilled environment.

Quote:
Since you say that the main thing you are looking for is processing power and you work on audio and video, there is something known as single threaded performance, which you need to know about.
Consider this as the max processing power a single core has got in the multi-core cpu. This is where Intel overpowers AMD at almost every price range. Heck my i3-2120 has better single thread performance than many octa/hex/quad core AMDs and even some i5s.
Point noted. The thing is for the price of the FX, I am getting a mid i3 processor which I felt was not attractive. So do you really think that an i3 for the same price would do better than the AMD in case I am looking for processing power? I will have ten tabs open in the browser, a HD movie with 5.1ch audio running at the same time, else I will be recording and processing music. As you say if the program is not built to use multiple cores then its useless to have extra cores isnt it?

Quote:

And you really shouldn't go with a mobo with integrated graphics, because neither they are very strong GPUs and you are just wasting money if you opt for an APU or Intel with good integrated graphics, and also these mobos are priced higher.
The intel alternative I recommend you closest to the fx-8120 in terms of performance is i5-4430 (priced around 12000).
I need a basic GPU. Not sure what all the GPU will handle other than running a display but it should let me watch a full HD movie without any lags. The last PC game I played was the GTA 5 and I will be more than happy if the current GPU can let me play that ocassionally, which the current PC itself does. Thats it. Some adobe After effects support will be welcome.

If the overall price is the same, I might very well consider a dedicated GPU. Good idea? If processor is costing lesser, I can dump that money into GPU.

Quote:
Its like 8 weak cores vs 4 strong cores. Although the combined processing power of the octa-core may be more, but the quad-core will perform better in programs unable to split their work into as many as 8 threads. When encoding decoding a video, only a single core can work on a single video file, or atmost 2.
Yes I am considering the i5. Looks to be a better option anyday but the overall price will increase a bit.

Quote:
With i5, you are better off I feel. With the i5 4430 you are getting Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU which is a decent chip (and better than graphics provided by fx-8120) and if you are not a gamer will more than suffice your audio/video needs.
So if I get the integrated GPU, shouldnt I go for a MB that has inbuilt display ports? I have no idea about this. What if the MB doesnt have?

Quote:
And brother I am not saying AMDs are not good, for the price and raw processing power, the fx-8120 will eat up pretty much any processor. But, its just that 8 cores is a kind of an overkill if you are not a multi-tasking geek.
And, more to that, intel CPUs are considered more reliable and have a longer life span.
The choice is absolutely yours, with whichever product you feel more comfortable with
If I was hell bent on a product, I wouldnt have asked for suggestions here I want some advice from regulars in this field. I was interested in intel but the pricing of the AMDs drew my attention. Hence, I wanted to know if given a small price bracket, would the Intel do better than the AMD though it has lesser cores and some lesser clock speed?

Why dont you suggest a combo of Processor + GPU(If its possible) + MB + RAM + Case within 25k? It shouldnt cost 22-23k preferably. Highest preference to the first two. RAM and case I will upgrade if necessary in the later period. However the MB should have six audio jacks in the rear at any cost.

Thanks in advance. I will take suggestions seriously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks