Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:14   #2791
BHPian

Re: Recommendations for a new Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Dear Friends;

My Brother-in-law is planning to buy a Desktop for his son aged 10yrs. This will mostly be used by his son for school project work and gaming.

Now there is no real budget by we are looking around 50K-60K price. Also since he is not so techno savvy assembling is a strict no no. He has asked my advice.

What could be the best suggestion? A complete Dell desktop system, or an HP one or can we include i-Mac too. We really do not have experience with Mac OS leaving aside iphone usage.

There is also a need for an All-in-one printer/scan/copier. Suggestions please? I am planning a complete wireless setup for him.
Wireless Setup might cost you bit more. If he is looking for desktop assmbling is very effective with respect to cost and performance. Have a look at my computers configuration. You can go for the same with lesser RAM and probabely newer External Graphics card. Most of the computer sales people also assemble and provide you the computers with OS.
Old 18th August 2014, 16:57   #2792
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

I am planning to upgrade the PC at my home - primary use is browsing, Skype \ Hangouts and a bit of photoshop.

The shortlisted components:

AMD 3.5 AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300 (FD6300WMHKBOX) Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Motherboard
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KVR13N9S8/4-SP)

The Budget is around 15K. How does this look?

--Anoop
Old 21st August 2014, 20:04   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am planning to upgrade the PC at my home - primary use is browsing, Skype \ Hangouts and a bit of photoshop.

The shortlisted components:

AMD 3.5 AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300 (FD6300WMHKBOX) Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Motherboard
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KVR13N9S8/4-SP)

The Budget is around 15K. How does this look?

--Anoop
I would suggest you get an AMD APU in your budget with better graphics if you're not keen to spend on a dedicated graphics card . Or a core i3 4130 with decent graphics but more compute power.

Now for a query of my own.

Can I put an Intel xeon 1230 sandy Bridge in a gigabyte GA B75m ud3 motherboard? Has anybody built up a rig using Intel xeons?
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:47   #2794
BHPian

I'm planning to buy the cheapest reliable monochrome laser printer out there for home printing. Since I'm upgrading my printer after years I want to get one that has wifi. Duplex would be a bonus. Budget is 6-7k.

From my limited research I've found a few that satisfy the wifi need (still a very low number in this day and age). Duplex seems to be beyond my means for now so I've dropped it.

Both Samsung and HP have a few offering within the <7k price range. The Samsung ML-2166W is what I've shortlisted. Does anyone have experience with it or have any alternatives to suggest?
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:02   #2795
Team-BHP Support

^ If your wifi router has a USB port and supports printers, you could drop the "wifi" requirement from your printer needs - giving you a much wider choice.

cya
R
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:25   #2796
Distinguished - BHPian

Or you could go for a printer with a network port! Of course, only possible if it is going to be sited within cable-reach of the router.

This is what I did. It is a Brother bought from Flipkart. I think it must have cost around 8,000. As we print only occasionally, I have probably saved that much by not having to replace dried-up inkjet cartridges. It is a heavily built machine, and I am sure it would be just as happy printing every day in an office environment.
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:49   #2797
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Recommendations for a new Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
My Brother-in-law is planning to buy a Desktop for his son aged 10yrs. A complete Dell desktop system, or an HP one or can we include i-Mac too.
Go for a complete system, from your favourite big-name brand - their pricing is quite competitive, and since your BIL is not very computer-savvy, it helps to have some manner of tech support to fall back on (otherwise you'll end up as tech support).

Skip the Macs, as it may not be the most convenient for school projects.

For a 10-year old, I don't see a dedicated graphics card as crucial - the onboard integrated graphics will suffice. You can always add a dedicated card later on when he's older and tires of the current graphics.

Consider this setup:
  • Dell Inspiron 3000 series with wireless: Rs. 35,300 from Dell/Compuindia (pick the one without a dedicated graphics card)
  • HP all-in-one printer with wireless: Rs. 5,100 from Flipkart
  • Asus DSL modem (assuming you use broadband over telephone line): Rs. 1,800 from Flipkart
  • Office 2013 Personal subscription: Rs. 330 per month from Microsoft. I like this edition because it gives you access to MS Access and Publisher; Publisher will be of interest for school projects, and Access is an easy way of getting familiar with databases. If there are other computers in the household, they can switch up to the Home subscription which gives access to the same software for 5 users.

The hardware works out to Rs. 42,200, and the Office subscription comes to 4000 per year.

Last edited by arunphilip : 22nd August 2014 at 14:53.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:32   #2798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

Both Samsung and HP have a few offering within the <7k price range. The Samsung ML-2166W is what I've shortlisted. Does anyone have experience with it or have any alternatives to suggest?
I second Rehaan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
^ If your wifi router has a USB port and supports printers, you could drop the "wifi" requirement from your printer needs - giving you a much wider choice.
Currently I use my HP deskjet connected to the modem and because of that, the printer is as good as a wireless printer. When I was on the lookout for the printer, the networked printers were expensive, and my usage never justified the high price.

However a few weeks later I brought a DLink modem with a USB port in built. This supports a printer, and with a small setup process, everyone can print from wherever inside the house. Else it would have been cumbersome to change cables from one computer to another. So you could try this if you have a Modem with a USB port.
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:38   #2799
BHPian

Quote:

cya
R
I've a D-Link 2750U wifi router (has USB port) and an Epson printer (Epson Stylus TX121) that doesn't have wireless functionality. Using these 2, can I have the wireless printing option. If so, can you list out the procedure for the same. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 22nd August 2014 at 18:47.
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:40   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've a D-Link 2750U wifi router (has USB port) and an Epson printer (Epson Stylus TX121) that doesn't have wireless functionality. Using these 2, can I have the wireless printing option. If so, can you list out the procedure for the same. Thanks in advance.
The above printer is already being used via the USB connected with laptop when printing is required. Now, I'm looking for wireless printing. Hence, this request.

Searched the web and see that there are some demos. But, the setup of printer in the wireless router setting is different. The layout looks some what different to that what I saw on net. Could you please guide me in configuring this. Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:35   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The above printer is already being used via the USB connected with laptop when printing is required. Now, I'm looking for wireless printing. Hence, this request.

Searched the web and see that there are some demos. But, the setup of printer in the wireless router setting is different. The layout looks some what different to that what I saw on net. Could you please guide me in configuring this. Thanks.
Finally, I was able to configure my printer as wireless printer with the help of wifi router that has USB input.

The main difference between the one I saw on you tube and the current router is due to version/model changes. In the current model, one has to go to Advanced -> Network Tools -> Printer. Here tick the enable and enter the Printer name and restart the router. The URL column will be populated automatically once the router is restarted.

Now, in the laptop, Add a printer and give the path name that was populated against the URL column above. For this, Add a Printer -> Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer -> The printer that I want isn't listed -> Select a shared printer by name -> "Copy the URL here from above" and select Next. Then in the popup, select the printer name and then the model and the next steps for the test print. This is the procedure I followed for configuring my non-wireless printer as wireless using wifi router with USB.

Thanks again to Rehaan for guiding me that such a thing is possible. Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:35   #2802
Distinguished - BHPian

I had started this post, but had to go out for some work. Since Vvrchandra has already got the job done, here is a pictorial description:

Quote:
If so, can you list out the procedure for the same. Thanks in advance.
Firstly, connect the printer to the USB port of the modem.

Next, follow these steps:

1. Login to the webpage of the modem and go as per the images:

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-1.jpg

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-2.jpg

Then, enable the printer when found.
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-3.jpg.jpg

Later, in the computer, follow these steps. Keep the driver ready for the printer, when the computer asks for installation. I found the driver already present.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-4.jpg

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-5.jpg

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-6.jpg

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-7.jpg

Dont include a space in the printers name. Observed that it creates a problem during installation.
Old 23rd August 2014, 19:39   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Or you could go for a printer with a network port! Of course, only possible if it is going to be sited within cable-reach of the router.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Currently I use my HP deskjet connected to the modem and because of that, the printer is as good as a wireless printer. When I was on the lookout for the printer, the networked printers were expensive, and my usage never justified the high price.
Thanks, all. My wifi router is located in a corner of the dining room where the historical telephone connection used to be (it's now a BSNL broadband). I can't install a printer there for certain. Nor do I have enough space to keep a laser printer connected all the time to any of the (three) PCs we have at home (which are themselves not switched on all the time). Presently there's an HP inkjet on a corner table that is pulled close to one of these PCs each time a print is needed (via USB) -- it's cumbersome plus I waste a lot of money on dried inkjet cartridges.

I'm surprised so many laserjet models are on the market today which lack wifi unit (that would cost an additional Rs 300-500).

I've found the Brother HL-2270W which seems to retail for <USD 80 and which combines both duplex printing as well as wifi. Unfortunately I'm not able to locate an online seller for this in India. Now to find how to get that in India.

Thad, since you use a Brother printer -- how has your experience been? Did you buy it knowing well that Brother printers are not commonly seen in India .. have you had any occasion to call customer support yet?

Last edited by Kumar R : 23rd August 2014 at 19:43.
Old 24th August 2014, 02:45   #2804
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine's a 2250DN. It has duplex, wired-LAN, but not wifi.

I bought it from Flipkart. They still sell Brother but not either model that interests us. I too was looking for a specific combination of facilies, just slightly different to yours, within a given budget. I snapped this up as soon as I came across it.

There is a customer service label on it. No, I never had any need to call. It is very well built; much more like a commercial machine than something made for domestic market.

Laser printers are pretty robust as long as they are not ill-treated. Dot-matrix machines, even the expensive ones were always a pain, and many inkjets are made for the sole purpose of being given away with the expensive ink.

Some of the HP Laserjets back in my office days seemed immortal and the only machine that gave us regular bother was a big, ground-braking (at the time) full-colour machine that cost as much as a good, second-hand car!

Quote:
My wifi router is located in a corner of the dining room where the historical telephone connection used to be (it's now a BSNL broadband). I can't install a printer there for certain.
If I recall correctly (and someone here will soon correct me) you can run a CAT5 cable up to 20m.

There are probably wireless printer-interface boxes. I don't know: wireless became reliable and popular after my retirement (but I still have one of the old wired-network to parallel printer boxes at the bottom of a box somewhere!) but this is probably wasting money compared to an all-included printer.

Don't Samsung do wifi? EDIT: one here at Flipkart.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th August 2014 at 02:54.
Old 24th August 2014, 18:31   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I bought it from Flipkart. They still sell Brother but not either model that interests us. I too was looking for a specific combination of facilies, just slightly different to yours, within a given budget. I snapped this up as soon as I came across it.

If I recall correctly (and someone here will soon correct me) you can run a CAT5 cable up to 20m.

Don't Samsung do wifi? EDIT: one here at Flipkart.
Thank you. Apparently there are some gadgets that can be used to enable an ethernet-only device to work over wifi. Like this one on Amazon. For the price though, it's not worth it.

I've sent an email to Brother India. If I don't hear from them in a week I'll go for that Samsung one (and live with no-duplex).

Interestingly the lack of wifi option on these 6/7k printers is about as baffling as the lack of left side ORVMs on some car models. In both cases the machine can still work fine but considering the pittance the 'add-on' costs and the difference it makes to a good user it's anybody's guess why these features are not included.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks