Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 15:51   #151
BANNED

re: Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad

What would be the ideal way to import an Home Theatre system weight (10kg) from uk to india via which carrier ?
Old 30th March 2014, 12:03   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
What would be the ideal way to import an Home Theatre system weight (10kg) from uk to india via which carrier ?
I have once carried a Sony 5.1 HT system on my checkin luggage without any issue.

Now I'm shifting most of my household items through ship as part of my TR and all my goods are still en-route to Chennai. I hope the best way to carry HT would be using your check in luggage.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:41   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Aramex shop and ship have very reasonable rate compared to others. For 10 kg they will charge 162 USD, try out their rate calculator http://www.shopandship.com/default.aspx

Over and above shipping charge they will pay customs duty on your behalf and recover it from you.
Old 3rd February 2016, 23:52   #154
BHPian

Bought from ebay.com - customs query

I bought some diecast cars through ebay.com. I want to know where do I have to pay for duty and how much do I have to pay . Also some products are used so how is duty calculated as the value of these products are not more than 5- 20 $ inclusive of shipping . I am pretty new to importing goods from ebay. Do I have to get some sort of licence or any declaration for personal use. Is Paypal transaction detail page enough as proof for invoice. Kindly help in this regard

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 3rd February 2016 at 23:59. Reason: correcting the errors in sentences
Old 4th February 2016, 00:13   #155
BHPian

I'm still waiting for my USPS parcel to reach me. Post Office folk haven't been of much help and it stays with Customs office as of now.
Total order item price including shipping was $62 + $48 = $110.

No idea if they'll charge duty and if they do, how much!

Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad-usps.jpg
Old 4th February 2016, 02:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I'm still waiting for my USPS parcel to reach me. Post Office folk haven't been of much help and it stays with Customs office as of now.

Attachment 1469403
Don't worry, customs clearance takes upto two weeks +/- a week!

Sometimes when I'm restless, I show up at the FPO and personally get my package cleared(get it tracked, customs guy has a look at it, duty calculated(not per the $110 mind you!) pay the duty and after that I usually get it after a day or two via mail.
(but as per my observations, the more desperate one looks to get it released, the higher the duty calculation comes out to be! lol)

If you really need it there and then, then you need to get a permission from the post master in the FPO building for mail release!

I have now stopped bothering and the package usually shows up sooner or later with minimal duties!

But, whenever possible, I get my packages shipped via DHL or FedEx. Sure they come out expensive, but they take care of the customs for you and the mail/package arrives really quick!

Last edited by sohail99 : 4th February 2016 at 02:09.
Old 12th February 2016, 10:12   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post

Attachment 1469403
Hi

I am in exactly the same situation now, as you were when you posted this message. The USPS tracking shows up the same page as yours- i.e customs clearance.
I called up my local foreign post office (Cochin) and the kind enough lady said that it takes a few days and that the final customs clearance happens locally.
So I guess I will just have to wait it out for a couple of weeks and see.

Btw, have you received your item yet?

Cheerio
Old 12th February 2016, 10:14   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Don't worry, customs clearance takes upto two weeks +/- a week!

Sometimes when I'm restless, I show up at the FPO and personally get my package cleared(get it tracked, customs guy has a look at it, duty calculated(not per the $110 mind you!) pay the duty and after that I usually get it after a day or two via mail.
(but as per my observations, the more desperate one looks to get it released, the higher the duty calculation comes out to be! lol)

If you really need it there and then, then you need to get a permission from the post master in the FPO building for mail release!

I have now stopped bothering and the package usually shows up sooner or later with minimal duties!

But, whenever possible, I get my packages shipped via DHL or FedEx. Sure they come out expensive, but they take care of the customs for you and the mail/package arrives really quick!

Sohail99

Thank you very much for the reassurance. Feels good to get some advice from a person who has done this often.
My parcel is at Delhi at present and final destination being Cochin.
It is a waiting game now.

Cheerio
Old 12th February 2016, 11:07   #159
BHPian

Re: Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Btw, have you received your item yet?
I received it yesterday. Exactly 1 month after placing the order.
11th Jan - Ordered.
12th Jan - Item left USA.
19th Jan - Reached Bangalore Customs
6th Feb - Cleared from Customs and reaches the destination Post Office
11th Feb - Reached me.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 12th February 2016 at 11:08. Reason: Details added.
Old 14th February 2016, 20:01   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sohail99

Thank you very much for the reassurance. Feels good to get some advice from a person who has done this often.
My parcel is at Delhi at present and final destination being Cochin.
It is a waiting game now.

Cheerio
don't worry about anything, it will reach u very slowly.
don' keep looking at tracking page and do not bother to call them up, they will increase duty.

they will ultimately deliver it because else they have to pay penalty.
Old 15th February 2016, 09:55   #161
BANNED

Time taken by our customs can be from a day to a few months. Strange are the ways of Indian customs, I wonder if even the Almighty knows!
Old 25th February 2016, 08:53   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
don't worry about anything, it will reach u very slowly.
don' keep looking at tracking page and do not bother to call them up, they will increase duty.

they will ultimately deliver it because else they have to pay penalty.
Thank you Lurker

Reassuring it is indeed.
I have taken your advice and have not bothered to look up the tracking so far.
I got a bit curious, this morning and looked up the tracking. It says reached Cochin FPO customs and status- 'awaiting proof of purchase/invoice from addressee'. I have not received any intimation from their side though.
May be I should just wait a few more days, or should I call them up and risk a high duty slapped on the item?, I am not sure.
I can afford a couple of more weeks waiting, not desperate at the moment, provided the item finally reaches me.

Cheerio.
Old 24th May 2016, 00:28   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Lurker

Reassuring it is indeed.
I have taken your advice and have not bothered to look up the tracking so far.
I got a bit curious, this morning and looked up the tracking. It says reached Cochin FPO customs and status- 'awaiting proof of purchase/invoice from addressee'. I have not received any intimation from their side though.
May be I should just wait a few more days, or should I call them up and risk a high duty slapped on the item?, I am not sure.
I can afford a couple of more weeks waiting, not desperate at the moment, provided the item finally reaches me.

Cheerio.
Hello alphadog,
If it says awaiting proof of purchase then you will have to contact them unless they will not clear your item and it will be stuck there for months. Customs are being very strict these days. I ended up recently in similar situation, my package was at Ahmedabad Customs office.

I waited for almost 20 days but nobody contacted me. Finally I contacted them and they said I have to show them purchase invoice (bill) of the package and they will charge whooping 42% duties on that package.

I responded on email that the package was a gift so I can't produce purchase invoice and the other day they released the package. After a week I got package at local post office and I had to pay 42% of the package which is 17,000 INR

Before that I had received more than half a dozen parcels but never paid custom duties. This was the first time I paid a huge amount. Hope you get your parcel.
Old 21st July 2017, 08:42   #164
BHPian

Guys I ordered Osram nightbreaker HID's for my skoda superb from Powerbulbs.com to be delivered in Hyderabad

For the past 20 days, the parcel is stuck at Mumbai EMS and next office is customs exam Mumbai. Does this mean, parcel is stuck at the post office itself. I tried reaching the post office multiple times on their customer care number 1800-11-2011 but there is no response. value of the item is 96 Pounds.

Any other method to track the parcel.

This uncertainty in the timelines simply does not seem worth the effort.
Attached Images

Old 21st July 2017, 09:14   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Guys I ordered Osram nightbreaker HID's for my skoda superb from Powerbulbs.com to be delivered in Hyderabad
The package is probably stuck at Mumbai Customs where they are waiting for you to provide them proof of value i.e. the invoice or some other information. They generally inform the recipient of this action via standard post. The package will not be released till you provide the information they seek.

If you have friends/relatives in Mumbai you could have them check this for you.
Also try calling or emailing one of the addresses/#s here: http://foreignpostmumbai.blogspot.co...omer-care.html

BTW I had ordered from Powerbulbs back in the early 2000s and the package was delivered without any hassles. But then times have changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks