Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2006, 18:48   #1
BANNED

Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad

Is it safe any body ever try it ? I've to pay any duty suppose i'm buying a phne for 25k ? Any custom problem ?
Old 10th November 2006, 20:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

well, incase you buy any product above $ 200 including transportation & sundry charges then duty might be levied.

In case you have an option of DHL/UPS or Express Speed Post (Worldwide postal service courier), always go for DHL or UPS.

Try to avoid Express Speed Post and other methods that rely on the Indian postal service. They can occasionaly delay packages and cause you mental anguish.
Old 10th November 2006, 23:20   #3
BHPian

Also, if you're buying from a person (as against from a shop), ask them to mark the package as a gift.
Old 11th November 2006, 11:51   #4
BANNED

Any more comments ? Will it reach @my door step easily or stuck @ custom office ?
Old 11th November 2006, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
Any more comments ? Will it reach @my door step easily or stuck @ custom office ?
That is specially why I told you to use DHL/UPS and not go for EXPRESS SPEED POST/WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SERVICE or whatever their new name is.

DHL/UPS guys are the best at customs clearance, they customs clear the parcel in the transit process itself. And save you a lot of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon
Also, if you're buying from a person (as against from a shop), ask them to mark the package as a gift.
That is of no use really ! Even if you mark it as "gift" the customs-wala will open the parcel if he gets suspiscious and thinks that you are trying to escape duty.

The straightest route can often mean the shortest route.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2008 at 23:01. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 30th June 2007, 15:00   #6
BANNED

I've order something from Ebay uk & it's been dispathced on 18th june from uk via royalmail & still didn't received yet , any idea where should i contact ?
Old 30th June 2007, 16:10   #7
BHPian

I think you should wait for now. Too early to worry. Sometimes parcels get delayed by up to a month.
Old 30th June 2007, 18:39   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I think you should wait for now. Too early to worry. Sometimes parcels get delayed by up to a month.
Seller is unable to track the item nor i do because there's no tracking available for airmail
Old 30th June 2007, 18:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

What phone did you buy? How much did you end up saving?
Old 30th June 2007, 20:37   #10
BHPian

dont know but its very Dangerous to buy electronic items from ebay's internation sites bcoz most cheat or used cellphones gets sold here as NEW ones
Old 30th June 2007, 20:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You will have to pay duty. Not only on the value of the phone, but equal duty on the value of the Handling, packaging and postage.

Before Fedex/DHL/UPS/Aramex/TNT pay duty on your behalf, they will phone you and take a verbal confirmation on the same. They will inform you what the duty is and if you agree to pay it, you will have to give your verbal assent. Remember to include your mobile number in the address you give ebay.

Upon reciept of the parcel you will be expected to hand over the duty amount to the messenger. He give you a xerox of the joint customs duties that they pay on the customers behalf, with your item highlighted.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th June 2007 at 20:47.
Old 30th June 2007, 21:55   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
What phone did you buy? How much did you end up saving?
This time i've didn't bought an phone though, but bought an phone accessory .

Quote:
You will have to pay duty. Not only on the value of the phone, but equal duty on the value of the Handling, packaging and postage.

Before Fedex/DHL/UPS/Aramex/TNT pay duty on your behalf, they will phone you and take a verbal confirmation on the same. They will inform you what the duty is and if you agree to pay it, you will have to give your verbal assent. Remember to include your mobile number in the address you give ebay.

Upon reciept of the parcel you will be expected to hand over the duty amount to the messenger. He give you a xerox of the joint customs duties that they pay on the customers behalf, with your item highlighted.
Last month i've order one mobile phone from uk from my friend & he sent it via dhl shippings costs 58 pounds & reach @ me in 3 days without any trouble (touchwood) & dhl guys didn't asked for my verbal confirmation for duty they just paid it on my behalf .

I've called foreign post office & they asking for tracking no which i don't have & is not applicable in airmail (small packets so he can't help me :( What should i do guys .........

Last edited by unknown : 30th June 2007 at 21:57.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

I was sent some stuff through royalmail and came through within 10 days of shipping from Portugal. Neatly packed and absolutely no tampering or damage.

I dint pay any duty and it was a camera worth over 25k for my frend.

I dint have a tracking number either. The seller infact called me to confirm if the product had reached. So wait it should reach you, dont panic.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:47   #14
BHPian

I buy lots of stuff online and have it shipped. Getting it done through a courier service is indeed expensive and is better for the costly items. Postal service works great for smaller items and those that dont look expensive, no duty at all. Although tracking is impossible so its always better to get insurance from your seller. Sometimes the postal dept will hold items in their foreign clearing office and you simply need to go there and grease a few palms, this is more true for items that are large or look expensive.

cheers.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:59   #15
BHPian

I just received a Hyper Rev magazine through ebay. It was posted on Jun 29th, local postmark says July 4. Came through EMS (something like SpeedPost I guess). I'm having some trouble with a paypal cheque though - been over a month and I havent received it. Worst part is paypal does not have any other shipping options than ordinary mail. Anyone experience this sort of delay? Last resort would be to stop the cheque, pay the $15 fee, and I guess, but then no guarantee it'll arrive next time either right?

Most Viewed