Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 10:52   #166
BHPian

Re: Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad

I want to order a pair of Nike shoes from Europe (www.unisportstore.com) , they cost about 50 Euros. 75 Euros with shipping to India.
I don't want to be harassed by customs, will this also attract customs duty. If so, what %?
Is there a cap below which there is no duty?
thx.

Last edited by raihan : 21st July 2017 at 11:01.
Old 21st July 2017, 11:25   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The package is probably stuck at Mumbai Customs where they are waiting for you to provide them proof of value i.e. the invoice or some other information. They generally inform the recipient of this action via standard post. The package will not be released till you provide the information they seek.
Thanks for the quick revert A2D2.

Based on the tracking I assumed, it was with Post office but I was told it is held at customs.

I have called them on 022-26156344 but they mentioned a visit is needed. Since I am based out of Hyderabad, I asked them If I can email. For now I have mailed the invoice copy to them on apso.mumbai.customs@gov.in with a cc to emsmum99@gmail.com

The product had discount. I think they may have assumed it is undervalued.

Hope this gets resolved asap.

Last edited by indian21r : 21st July 2017 at 11:27.
Old 21st July 2017, 18:51   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
For now I have mailed the invoice copy to them on apso.mumbai.customs@gov.in with a cc to emsmum99@gmail.com

The product had discount. I think they may have assumed it is undervalued.
I got the below reply from APSO office. The Customs Duty is 75% and further there was fine and penalty of Rs 500 each which I am not sure what for.

As of now I told I will sign the waiver form. But the procedure needs to be more transparent
Attached Thumbnails
Dealing with courier / shipping / duty when buying from websites abroad-screen-shot-20170721-6.44.00-pm.png  

Old 21st July 2017, 19:03   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I got the below reply from APSO office. The Customs Duty is 75% and further there was fine and penalty of Rs 500 each which I am not sure what for.

As of now I told I will sign the waiver form. But the procedure needs to be more transparent
Customs duty is always on CIF value and the reason they're penalising you is for what they believe as deliberate underinvoicing of the product.

So, if you're buying something for your car first check if it's available in India including e-tailers like Amazon India/eBay or push come to shove even Amazon US.

Normally importing an article via Postal service costs much less but has attendant hassles like the one you went through.

OTOH e-tailers like eBay US & Amazon US include shipping & handle all import processes and procedures including Customs clearance. You pay more but get literally zero hassles in return. All this is based on my experiences having shopped at various international sites since the early 2000s.
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:40   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Customs duty is always on CIF value and the reason they're penalising you is for what they believe as deliberate underinvoicing of the product.

So, if you're buying something for your car first check if it's available in India including e-tailers like Amazon India/eBay or push come to shove even Amazon US.

Normally importing an article via Postal service costs much less but has attendant hassles like the one you went through.

OTOH e-tailers like eBay US & Amazon US include shipping & handle all import processes and procedures including Customs clearance. You pay more but get literally zero hassles in return. All this is based on my experiences having shopped at various international sites since the early 2000s.
Normally I prefer ordering locally only. This is only the second time that I ordered any item from abroad online (First one did not get delivered).

The bulbs were not available anywhere online and I did not have the patience to search locally. Heard good reviews about powerbulbs so went ahead and ordered from them when Amazon germany was also an option. Lesson learnt, it is easier if customs amount is paid in advance.

Further the bill/package has the full value and I was ready to pay Customs duty applicable. Just that there was no communication from there end at all. Neither from the postal services nor from customs until I emailed them yesterday.

I feel the procedure needs to be more transparent.

Happy that they atleast reverted. Hope to get the bulbs soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks