Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2014, 14:58   #7186
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I bought the panasonic TV. And, I am very happy with it so far. Let me know if you need any specific info.
Thank you! Other than the price, what made you choose Panasonic over Sony?

--Anoop
Old 17th February 2014, 15:44   #7187
Senior - BHPian

While doing some more online research, came across this - Philips 32PFL5578 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/phil...89906975?pos=5)

Seems to have very good specs and the price is really tempting.

Any idea how good they are (or in general Philips TVs are)? I am not able to find any reviews about this model online.

--Anoop
Old 19th February 2014, 11:57   #7188
BANNED

I am looking for a 42" Full HD TV - any suggestions? I don't have a particular budget nor do I have much idea of what features I should look for? This is the first time I am looking into this. Nor looking for 3D. In general, I prefer LG in home appliances & avoid Samsung but I am also open to other brands. Not planning a home theatre or anything. Currently the only thing I will hookup is a Dish SD box and a DVD Player. The only reason for going full HD is to plan against obsolescence in the future.

Also, what's a good viewing distance for a 42 inch TV?

Last edited by carboy : 19th February 2014 at 12:03.
Old 19th February 2014, 12:35   #7189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a 42" Full HD TV - any suggestions? I don't have a particular budget nor do I have much idea of what features I should look for? This is the first time I am looking into this. Nor looking for 3D. In general, I prefer LG in home appliances ...
Here's the catch: 3D panels are the better panels in the industry. Even if you do not care for 3D, the 2D picture quality is better, motion artifacts are less.
LG makes some of the best panels in the industry. Even the 2013 Sony range W series use panels from LG; thus the 42 inch W800A rather than Sony's standard 40 inch size!

By the time you're looking at 3D panels (LG prefers passive 3D) you'll find that many other 'frills' come as part of the package. You need not use them, but for the sake of the picture quality you'd have to go for a 3D capable set.

Viewing distance for a 42" TV - 5 feet minimum.
Old 21st February 2014, 05:06   #7190
BHPian

I am also on the look out for a large screen Full HD TV 39" to 42". Have been going in to an infinite loop in my googling, and confused as hell. There is not much of a requirement for a 3D or Smart TV. With details gathered from net I have short listed following ones.

Sony - KDL42W700B / KLV40R452A / KDL42W700B
Samsung - 40F5100 / 40F5500
LG - 42LN5400
Panasonic - TH-L42E6D / TH-L39EV6D
Toshiba - 39P2305 / 39 L3300
Philips - 42PFL6977

Shortlisting based on specs is one thing but buying is altogether a whole different ball game it seems. The dealer prices / online prices are varying several thousands. I would basically like to settle for a VFM Full HD TV with out compromising on the picture quality. Preferably in the range of 40k to 45k. Anything less is a bonus. I could avail certain benefits from my company hence would need a properly invoiced TV.

Is Philips 42PFL6977 picture quality good? It's not even listed on the Philips India website. Could be a old model that dealer still has stock. Free Videocon DTH all channels including HD channels for two years is tempting. That`s a saving of about 12k. Price is around 45k.

Toshiba models are available for 34k to 36k on Snapdeal. Is Snapdeal reliable? How is the picture quality of these models? It seem to have 3 years warranty better than any other brand. But I could not find any authorized service centers for Toshiba in Chennai.

Not a clue what to choose from Panasonic / LG / Samsung. They are with in + 2k from Sony. Feels like better to go with Sony for the brand tag.

Selecting something from Sony is too confusing. 40 inch don't have X-Pro. Hence choosing 42" which is making it very expensive. Sony KDL32W700B seems perfect for the spec and price expect for screen size.

Would someone kindly throw some pointers for me please?
Old 21st February 2014, 07:06   #7191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
I threw a pointer in the post just above yours. That would apply in your case too.

And do see this: http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/repo...-india-1963470

Last edited by anupmathur : 21st February 2014 at 07:10.
Old 21st February 2014, 11:33   #7192
Senior - BHPian

Avoid philips are they are out of the TV business. I owned one for all of 3 months. It works, but images arent as sharp as samsung and sony. Home theatre connection is an antiquated SPDIF. There were many other irritants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
While doing some more online research, came across this - Philips 32PFL5578 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/phil...89906975?pos=5)

Last edited by noopster : 21st February 2014 at 19:30. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 21st February 2014, 14:51   #7193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Avoid philips are they are out of the TV business. I owned one for all of 3 months. It works, but images arent as sharp as samsung and sony. Home theatre connection is an antiquated SPDIF. There were many other irritants.
Thank you for the inputs. I came across the same news from couple of friends who are working with Philips. Plan to visit some brick and mortar stores soon to do a real life comparison of few short-listed models. As of now, I am heavily inclined towards Toshiba or Panasonic.

--Anoop
Old 21st February 2014, 15:06   #7194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a 42" Full HD TV - any suggestions? I don't have a particular budget nor do I have much idea of what features I should look for? This is the first time I am looking into this. Nor looking for 3D.
Quote:
I am also on the look out for a large screen Full HD TV 39" to 42". There is not much of a requirement for a 3D or Smart TV.
Exactly the same confusion I was facing last november when i was looking to buy an LED tv.

We did quite a lot of looking around for the best deal, reviews, etc. and finally settled for the LG 42inch LN5400. I did not want 3D or SMART features. This has the IPS panel instead of the VA panels which most TV's have in this price range (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung etc.). Advisable to go for IPS panel.

We upgraded from a 29inch CRT so the first few days we were like "wow, looks awesome with the huge screen etc." and now we feel we should have bought something bigger - 47 or a 50 inch but that said, we are fully satisfied with the TV.

We have in addition to this LED TV, a fridge, computer monitor and other appliances at home from LG and I must say that the customer service so far has been positive.

Never had an issue with the products (touchwood) but after I bought the LED TV, the LG customer care folks called and asked me my purchase experience, why LG, etc. and not only immediately after the purchase, they called me once in Jan and once in Feb too, to check if I have any issues and to check my satisfaction.

Oh yeah, i got an awesome deal for the LG LN5400 42inch LED. Cost me Rs. 48,000/-.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st February 2014 at 15:07.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:25   #7195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Oh yeah, i got an awesome deal for the LG LN5400 42inch LED. Cost me Rs. 48,000/-.

Mind sharing from where you bought it? Dealer here in Chennai quoted 56K.
Old 21st February 2014, 19:17   #7196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now, I am heavily inclined towards Toshiba or Panasonic.

--Anoop
If it boils down to these two, the answer is obvious I guess. I've had a 50 inch panasonic for, like ages. Its reliable though the picture quality is best in a samsung.

Last edited by noopster : 21st February 2014 at 19:30. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 21st February 2014, 22:50   #7197
BHPian

Quote:
I am also on the look out for a large screen Full HD TV 39" to 42". Have been going in to an infinite loop in my googling, and confused as hell. There is not much of a requirement for a 3D or Smart TV. With details gathered from net I have short listed following ones.

Sony - KDL42W700B / KLV40R452A / KDL42W700B
Samsung - 40F5100 / 40F5500
LG - 42LN5400
Panasonic - TH-L42E6D / TH-L39EV6D
Toshiba - 39P2305 / 39 L3300
Philips - 42PFL6977

Shortlisting based on specs is one thing but buying is altogether a whole different ball game it seems. The dealer prices / online prices are varying several thousands. I would basically like to settle for a VFM Full HD TV with out compromising on the picture quality. Preferably in the range of 40k to 45k. Anything less is a bonus. I could avail certain benefits from my company hence would need a properly invoiced TV.

Is Philips 42PFL6977 picture quality good? It's not even listed on the Philips India website. Could be a old model that dealer still has stock. Free Videocon DTH all channels including HD channels for two years is tempting. That`s a saving of about 12k. Price is around 45k.

Toshiba models are available for 34k to 36k on Snapdeal. Is Snapdeal reliable? How is the picture quality of these models? It seem to have 3 years warranty better than any other brand. But I could not find any authorized service centers for Toshiba in Chennai.

Not a clue what to choose from Panasonic / LG / Samsung. They are with in + 2k from Sony. Feels like better to go with Sony for the brand tag.

Selecting something from Sony is too confusing. 40 inch don't have X-Pro. Hence choosing 42" which is making it very expensive. Sony KDL32W700B seems perfect for the spec and price expect for screen size.

I was in the same boat in Nov-Dec 2013. After a lot of research, bought Toshiba 39L3300 for 36.2k from Snapdeal and am extremely happy with the Tv. Excellent VFM. Has an inbuilt youtube app and supports screen mirroring. All you need to do is buy a wifi adapter and you're good to go. Picture and audio quality is better than my Samsung 5000 series TV which is a little over a year old.The best part is a standard 3 year warranty.

I'd recommend 39L3300. The Samsung and Sony TV's might be better but then again it may be at max 10%. Doesn't make sense to pay atleast 17k just for the 10%.

Quote:
Mind sharing from where you bought it? Dealer here in Chennai quoted 56K.
It is available on snapdeal for 48k. Check with Croma in your city. I bargained for 50k with 3 years warranty. Standard warranty is only 1 year.
Old 22nd February 2014, 02:07   #7198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
I was in the same boat in Nov-Dec 2013. After a lot of research, bought Toshiba 39L3300 for 36.2k from Snapdeal and am extremely happy with the Tv. Excellent VFM. Has an inbuilt Youtube app and supports screen mirroring. All you need to do is buy a wifi adapter and you're good to go. Picture and audio quality is better than my Samsung 5000 series TV which is a little over a year old.The best part is a standard 3 year warranty.

I'd recommend 39L3300. The Samsung and Sony TV's might be better but then again it may be at max 10%. Doesn't make sense to pay atleast 17k just for the 10%.

It is available on snapdeal for 48k. Check with Croma in your city. I bargained for 50k with 3 years warranty. Standard warranty is only 1 year.
Thank you. Is snapdeal a good deal? I would need a proper invoice to get some benefits from my company (like well known car lease programs).

OT: I could not see the "Thank" feature on chrome browser. has it been taken away?
Old 22nd February 2014, 08:40   #7199
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Is snapdeal a good deal? I would need a proper invoice to get some benefits from my company (like well known car lease programs).

OT: I could not see the "Thank" feature on chrome browser. has it been taken away?
Yes.It's an incredible deal actually. The best price that I could get locally was from a Bajaj electronics, for 42k with a portable dvd player thrown in.

The shipment was packed properly using thermocol and a wooden crate on top of it and was delivered by GATI by surface transport all the way from Delhi.
Old 22nd February 2014, 19:14   #7200
Senior - BHPian

^^^It doesn't always get that good. I guess it depends on seller. Mine was also sent by Gati, but with zero additional packing except a polythene sheet taped to the original box. No extra thermocole or crate or whatever. And the box was opened from below and re-taped, so I consider that used. Also it was very old. Was forced to demand a refund, which is not exactly easy with Snapdeal. Also they were very slow. But in the end they did refund. Tried to save money, and ended up wasting a lot of time.

Make sure seal is intact both above and below and check manuf. date before accepting. Thats what I'v learnt. Besides tape, I guess most manufacturers also use big, thick staples and the extreme ends. If they are missing (and you can see the holes), the box has been tampered and it may be a used/showroom set.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks