Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 15:57   #7036
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I have bought the Samsung PS51F5500, 51" Full HD 3D Plasma TV on Thursday. Overall experience is wonderful. 3D viewing is just superb. Owners of this tv-Does this TV come with only one touchpad remote?? No normal remote with this??
Congrats, Nice to know there are 3 owners of exactly the same model TV as mine

There is only one remote which is the touchpad remote and another one is for Blu Ray DVD player that came free along with this TV

Can you share what price you bought it for?
Old 29th October 2013, 11:26   #7037
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for back to back post

I copied some 3D content on a pendrive which RD gave me while purchasing the TV.

When I play that content on TV via, the pen drive, i dont see the 3D at all while wearing the 3D glasses.

Is there a process for connecting your 3D glasses for the first time to TV. If yes, can someone please outline the steps here?
Old 29th October 2013, 11:54   #7038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sorry for back to back post

I copied some 3D content on a pendrive which RD gave me while purchasing the TV.

When I play that content on TV via, the pen drive, i dont see the 3D at all while wearing the 3D glasses.

Is there a process for connecting your 3D glasses for the first time to TV. If yes, can someone please outline the steps here?
You will have to pair the glasses with the TV for the first time. Typically the process I followed for Panasonic was to hold down the power button on the goggles for a few seconds, while standing about 2 feet away from the TV. Then the small LED on the goggles starts blinking very rapidly, like modem lights. The you should get some notification on the TV with the battery life remaining in the goggles.

Else you have to read the instructions which came with the goggles.

Once they are paired, they keep blinking slowly just like the lights from an aircraft when observed from the ground, on a cloudy day.

Last edited by S_U_N : 29th October 2013 at 11:55.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:03   #7039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
You will have to pair the glasses with the TV for the first time.
In addition what is quoted by S_U_N, you'll have to activate the 3D from your remote. You can enable it using "More" button on remote control and will see options on bottom left corner. Once you enable 3D, it will ask you to select the type of 3D content being played. Side by Side or One below another or third one. I don't remember which is last.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:56   #7040
BHPian

@mobike008, For 3D content from the remote Press More, in which press 3D to on the effect. Press small white switch on 3D glasses infront of TV to pair them with it.
I got mine for seventy four K with BD player free.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:53   #7041
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all for the replies. Will try it this evening the 3D content. I havent had the time to play the 3D content till date at all even though TV is now 2 weeks old

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I got mine for seventy four K with BD player free.
Woah! Didnt you negotiate? Best offer I got without any swap was 69K with free BD player
Old 30th October 2013, 14:24   #7042
BHPian

i have a pana plasma 42x30 D model , what is the best picture settings for optimal PQ
Current Settings:
contrast : 65
Brightness : 0
Color : 85
Sharpness : 70
Color Balance : normal
Vivid color : on
Eco mode : on.
Old 30th October 2013, 20:01   #7043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i have a pana plasma 42x30 D model , what is the best picture settings for optimal PQ
Current Settings:
contrast : 65
Brightness : 0
Color : 85
Sharpness : 70
Color Balance : normal
Vivid color : on
Eco mode : on.
You can disable vivid colour, eco mode.
You can also reduce the sharpness and colour to "0".
Contrast can be bumped up a little. to 80/85.

Depending on your taste, you can also set to "cinema" mode.
Old 1st November 2013, 09:59   #7044
BHPian

Hi,
I see discussion here both in favour of LED & Plasma. Also note discussion on Samsung F5500/ Full HD/3D.

Right now I am looking for buying a TV in Bangalore. The two models I have down selected are
1) Sony LED 950 A/46" quoted 132900 with free playstation 3+4 glasses etc. The features, picture quality (includes cinema mode) are impressive, 2D to 3D also very impressive with the ability to control the 3D depth as well. And I know with Sony the service is always has been good. My earlier TV's/AVs were either by Philips or Sony and have/are running beyonds decades without any trouble!

2) Samsung 51/F5500 Plasma TV with 3D 75000/-. Again the brightness level & picture quality are very good, has all the smart TV features, come with free normal BD player + glasses

Now I am in a triple dilemma on TV selection
1) Should I go with Plasma or LED. While all the advancement is happening on LED front (including 4K) I am not too sure if Plasma will continue into future. Also it has higher power consumption (299 w against 136 W - though screen sizes are different) . Also not sure how it will be in bright (window facing) room. This is the 1st time I will be buying the flat panel TV (LED/Plasma)

or 2) should I pick Sony v/s Samsung. The only product from Samsung I owned in the past is a digital/portable music player, which ran out of steam in about a year. I was also impressed by the Sony/HSR salesperson for his explanation of the feature of TV which I do not get to see much these days! People are over enthu in selling not explaining!

or 3) should i go with price which is close to 50% on plasma and save for future upgrades?

Btw - both the TV salesmen have promised to give a good deal if I were to purchase!
Old 1st November 2013, 11:58   #7045
Senior - BHPian

@Gany: The plasma that you are considering is about half the price of the Sony LED.
If you read the earlier posts on the same page, then you would see the best price is around 65K.
Why do you want to spend double on the LED if you are satisfied with the picture quality of F5500?

We are all fascinated by 3D, but it is just an initial craze; most people I know do not use 3D for more than 10% of the total viewing time.
Also note that active 3D will cause headache/ heaviness - at least it does for all of us who have tried that on our Panasonic plasma.
I think Sony has an edge there (I suppose it comes with passive 3D as apposed to active 3D on the Samsung plasma).

About power consumption, expect an additional bill of Rs. 100 per month if you go with plasma.
And 4K will be in affordable price range (I am assuming you are not filthy rich ) after 2-3 years. I am not sure if we will have enough content by that time, though.

Edit: The extra five inches (diagonal) will make a significant difference in the viewing experience. In fact, you will find 51 inches also to be small in a few months.

Last edited by S_U_N : 1st November 2013 at 12:00.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:34   #7046
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Panasonic officially has confirmed that its plasma business will end by march 2014 and the production will be stopped by December 2013.

@Gany
If you have a bright living room and if you are going to use it for gaming or connecting your laptop/pc ,then stick with the Sony W950.It has the lowest input lag compared to any other television and it includes plasmas and crt.
Old 1st November 2013, 13:47   #7047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Now I am in a triple dilemma on TV selection
1) Should I go with Plasma or LED. While all the advancement is happening on LED front (including 4K) I am not too sure if Plasma will continue into future. Also it has higher power consumption (299 w against 136 W - though screen sizes are different) . Also not sure how it will be in bright (window facing) room. This is the 1st time I will be buying the flat panel TV (LED/Plasma)
Even if 4K development is happening in LED, your new shortlisted TVs will not get that thing automatically so doesn't matter. For that you'll have to buy the TV in future. Besides, where is the 4K content? Leave 4K, even getting Full HD becomes a task in itself. You have very few channels that give HD feed.

Regarding power consumption, as SUN already pointed out, it is not much. In fact it won't cover the price difference you might have to pay now even after 10 years of use.

The last, window facing TV, is a bit of a concern with Plasma, especially F5500. This TV is a mirror. I have to close the curtains always while watching TV. If you don't, you don's see a damn thing. Luckily I have two windows in the Living room so I can keep the other one open to get light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
or 2) should I pick Sony v/s Samsung. The only product from Samsung I owned in the past is a digital/portable music player, which ran out of steam in about a year. I was also impressed by the Sony/HSR salesperson for his explanation of the feature of TV which I do not get to see much these days! People are over enthu in selling not explaining!

or 3) should i go with price which is close to 50% on plasma and save for future upgrades?

Btw - both the TV salesmen have promised to give a good deal if I were to purchase!
Regarding which brand, unlike cars, TVs are not the goods that require regular maintenance and service. So if your piece comes out good, you don't have to worry for years or if it is bad, then it will fail within a year or two. And with these LED/Plasmas, mostly the repairs are expensive. So the ideal thing would be have something with longer warranty, irrespective of brands.

Your third point is an interesting one. Like you, I graduated from a CRT to a Plasma. The CRT was still working and I had used it for 7 years. But I think the time is past when one used to buy a TV that he hoped not to change in 10 years. Now, my TV is 3 months old and I am hoping it lasts for 3/4 years after which I would like to move to a bigger TV, may be 60 / 64". The big picture is simply addictive.

Last edited by shipnil : 1st November 2013 at 13:51. Reason: spellings
Old 1st November 2013, 15:41   #7048
BHPian

Connecting headphones to Panasonic TV

I was looking at the new line of Panasonic TVs. Surprisingly none of them feature a headphone jack. They only provide a digital audio output. We use our wireless headphones quite a bit with the TV. Anyone who has tried Digital to Analog converters that would facilitate use of headphones with such TVs?
Old 1st November 2013, 16:48   #7049
BHPian

Re: Connecting headphones to Panasonic TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I was looking at the new line of Panasonic TVs. Surprisingly none of them feature a headphone jack. They only provide a digital audio output. We use our wireless headphones quite a bit with the TV. Anyone who has tried Digital to Analog converters that would facilitate use of headphones with such TVs?
It is not specific to Panasonic. I think it is a general trend with all the brands. Even my Samsung did not come with one. I am also a wireless headphone user. But luckily for me, I have wireless headphone receiver that accepts digital in, optical in as well.
Old 1st November 2013, 17:03   #7050
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

The last, window facing TV, is a bit of a concern with Plasma, especially F5500. This TV is a mirror. I have to close the curtains always while watching TV. If you don't, you don's see a damn thing. Luckily I have two windows in the Living room so I can keep the other one open to get light.
The F5500 is a good TV except under situations mentioned by you - its pretty bad with window facing bright rooms. Night time watching and dimlit rooms are good.

I have the 64" F8500 flagship samsung plasma. It is the best plasma ever in bright rooms, but even so if you have a window facing room during day time - I still think it comes second best to some of the LEDs.

Ofcourse IMO, PQ wise, plasmas are a joy and they hold none of the banding issues prevalent in "all" LEDs/LEDs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks