Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 13:17   #6901
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

We have an old old Hitachi 32" LCD panel which is only "HD Ready". It is connected to the Tata Sky+ box via an AV cable and the difference between SD and HD transmission is huge, in fact as chalk and cheese as it is on our other panel a Panasonic 50VT20D.

In the same vein we upgraded our sitting area STB to a HD box and this is connected to an even older 25" Sony Trinitron CRT tv. Here again the crispness of the HD transmission as well as the difference in quality of audio output is apparent.

Quote:
To be honest, for a 32" TV, it is pointless to upgrade to Tata Sky HD. You will not notice any difference. I suggest take that TV to you neighbour who has Tata Sky (or any other) HD service and try it out.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:39   #6902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In the same vein we upgraded our sitting area STB to a HD box and this is connected to an even older 25" Sony Trinitron CRT tv. Here again the crispness of the HD transmission as well as the difference in quality of audio output is apparent.

I can second the difference in quality on a CRT, wouldnt know how and why this is.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:44   #6903
BHPian

Has anyone purchased extended warranty for their TV's? A 2 year extended warranty is being offered at 5% of the TV's price.

Is it worth going in for this extended warranty?
Old 28th August 2013, 18:01   #6904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Has anyone purchased extended warranty for their TV's? A 2 year extended warranty is being offered at 5% of the TV's price.

Which brand are you referring to? Is it a standard that the price will be equal to 5% of the price?
Old 28th August 2013, 18:10   #6905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Which brand are you referring to? Is it a standard that the price will be equal to 5% of the price?
This is for a sony 3D LED TV. I checked for my TV (a little less than 1 year old) and the cost of extended warranty is coming to 5% of the cost of the TV.
Old 29th August 2013, 00:47   #6906
BHPian

Quote:

It is very important, like term policy of life insurance. If one has to use it very good, if not required then also not bad as precaution.
Old 29th August 2013, 01:56   #6907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
To be honest, for a 32" TV, it is pointless to upgrade to Tata Sky HD. You will not notice any difference. I suggest take that TV to you neighbour who has Tata Sky (or any other) HD service and try it out.
Actually, there is a hell lot of difference in watching non-HD content on 32'' compared to HD content (Leave full HD alone).
Old 29th August 2013, 09:25   #6908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Actually, there is a hell lot of difference in watching non-HD content on 32'' compared to HD content (Leave full HD alone).
I second that. On my 32" LG LCD TV, there is a huge difference between SD (normal Tata Sky box) and HD (Tata Sky HD) content. In fact it is absolutely worth upgrading to an HD box.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:18   #6909
Senior - BHPian

So, it looks like Tata Sky users do find an improvement in the SD channels when using the HD box.

Does anyone else feel the same with other service providers such as Dish TV or Videocon D2H?
Old 29th August 2013, 13:52   #6910
BHPian

It is same for all DTH services.

Videocon in my opinion is the worst DTH service provider (they have started 3D also)
Old 29th August 2013, 15:02   #6911
Senior - BHPian

Err no. atleast I did not mean that when I posted above

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
So, it looks like Tata Sky users do find an improvement in the SD channels when using the HD box.

Does anyone else feel the same with other service providers such as Dish TV or Videocon D2H?
What I tried to get across was that even on a 32" HD ready lcd panel (this is a rung below HD panels and a couple of levels below Full HD panels)) as well as on a CRT tv the difference between HD and SD transmission is obvious.

The SD transmission itself remains just the same as it would be when using a normal (read non HD) STB.
Old 29th August 2013, 15:33   #6912
BHPian

Could this difference be because of the HDMI or Component output on the HD box. I have a TataSky HD & STB at home and find little difference on regular Coax on a 32' Sony.
Old 30th August 2013, 00:56   #6913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

I had bought a 40" LED TV here in Malaysia about 8 months back. I am returning this Sunday back after more than a year outside India. Now, will my TV be still be taxed at 36 % (after the new import ban),or can it be treated as used goods. Also, how is the depreciation calculated on that.

Thanks,
Andy
No there should be no duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
I have a basic LG 32inch 3D LED tv with just one USB and one HDMI port. This was bought primarily for my son to enjoy the 3D movie experience at home and it is worth 30k that I had paid during the Independence Day offer with a 15% cash back voucher as well.

Now, I'm thinking of buying a PS3 and also getting a Tata Sky HD add-on connection, here is where the issue arises - just one HDMI port and I will need to connect multiple devices.

I checked ebay and found a HDMI Splitter, have any of you tried this with your TV? Does it work?

Also if I connect a multi-port USB to the one USB slot, can I connect multiple devices at one go?

Request if any of you have tried and improvised such a setup to please help with details.

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
I bought a hdmi splitter with remote from amazon for my brother and it works great. Costs about 30$ and automatically switches to active input too if one is powered off.

Quote:

Definitely worth it but pricey. Check same extended warranty at Croma too. My sisters 92k Sony led went bust in the 14th month, just after the warranty ended.
Old 30th August 2013, 10:33   #6914
BHPian

I hope i am posting in the correct thread. I am facing a problem with my tv.
It's a 46inch Sony Led. We bought it in mid June this year. I've used it with a ups since day one. On a dark screen, I can clearly see these patches of white. And when I'm watching a a channel like vh1 which doesn't come in full screen (black band on the top and bottom), these patches are quite prominent. This can't be normal
I'm attaching pictures. What's the way forward? How good/bad is sony's aftersales?
Edit: It's a Sony 46EX430

Clicked this in the dark, it looks blue here, but its actually a white patch
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20130828_203559.jpg

The patches in the corners are prominent while watching tv, for channels which come in wide screen.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20130828_203612.jpg

Last edited by promit : 30th August 2013 at 10:51. Reason: Adding tv model
Old 30th August 2013, 11:38   #6915
Senior - BHPian

They charged 1000 for my used 46 plasma, after depreciation, a year back. Now, I'll be carrying my used 55 LED next. So do let us know what happened in your case?

I had bought a 40" LED TV here in Malaysia about 8 months back. I am returning this Sunday back after more than a year outside India. Now, will my TV be still be taxed at 36 % (after the new import ban),or can it be treated as used goods. Also, how is the depreciation calculated on that.

Thanks,
Andy[/quote]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks