Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:40   #6886
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Samsung F5500 (51 inch plasma Full HD) costing 76,500 with 2 years warranty
This is a fantastic deal. I bought their previous generation PS51E550D1R and have no regrets with the purchase (Till now). The picture quality is outstanding. My only complaints are the reflective screen and poor audio for movie watching over USB. Sound from TV broadcasts are all right. I had to invest in a basic home theatre. After this plasma, there is no way I will look at an LED. It can only be another plasma or OLED, when they get affordable. Samsung have been making really good plasma's and the F5500 can only be a good tv.

You need to ensure good ventilation for a plasma tv. Putting it up on the wall will lead to excess heat build up and eventually failure of the panel. There is a tremendous amount of heat that radiates off the panel of my Samsung. Cools off quickly though when turned off.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:50   #6887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly suggest as to which model series I should go for in Panasonic plasma TV series. UT or ST series and 30D (2011model) or 50D(2012 model).
Really confused between these series.
I heard that 60 series is also launched. Is it available in India?
Yes 60 series is launched, but availability is an issue. S60 and ST60 are both supposed to be available in Indian market, but Panasonic does not want to sell too many units of plasma in India due to some mysterious reasons.

I have seen S60 at a forum member's house and the performance is good. Perhaps there is not much difference between that and the ST60 that I have.
You may need to increase the contrast level for the S60, since it cannot handle ambient light to the same level as the ST60 can.

Both TV's are good. If you get the ST50, then you can grab that too.
Forget the rest of the options, if picture quality is the only thing you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satran View Post
My friend is coming from Dubai next month, is it worth buying led tv from Dubai. I am worrying Govt implementing additional 35% tax on the tv from 26th Aug onwards.
Very likely that he will have to pay 35% duty + taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

There is a tremendous amount of heat that radiates off the panel of my Samsung. Cools off quickly though when turned off.
Tremendous heat? What is the weather like in your area? What is the ambient temperature.
My experience is that the plasma panel gets warm, nothing more than that. This is more so, after a couple of hours. My contrast is set to 35 (default was 50). I have a 50ST60.
Ambient temperature in the room is around 26 deg. C.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:02   #6888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Tremendous heat? What is the weather like in your area? What is the ambient temperature.
Weather at the moment is not more than 27 degrees. It should be a several degrees cooler inside the house as we do not live on a top floor apartment.

I can feel quite a bit of heat radiating off the panel if I stand in front of my tv. That is after it has been ON for an hour or more. You can touch the panel but it is a lot more than warm.

My contrast is at 70%. I lowered it from the default which was way too bright and surely damaging for the panel in the long run. I dropped the Cell Light to 8. I am not sure what Panasonic call this in the Menu. The default settings would have ensured permanent image retention as well.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:30   #6889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard that 60 series is also launched. Is it available in India?
Yes. It's available.
But I had to wait for more than a week as stock was not available
Brought Panasonic P60S60 Plasma yesterday for my Inlaws house, Will be delivered by today evening.
Price - 106000 INR, with 3 years warranty

Last edited by sushrutha : 23rd August 2013 at 12:35.
Old 24th August 2013, 12:20   #6890
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for suggestion. I asked my dealer in Jaipur 60 series is very scarce right now and steeply priced.
I finalised the Panasonic TH-P42UT50D for the best price 56,000.
Will go in evening to pick it up.
Hi kindly help me in understanding as to why my Pana TH-P42UT50D is not able to play mkv files? It runs for few seconds than it stops.

Any help will be appreciated!
Old 24th August 2013, 23:17   #6891
BHPian

I recently picked up a 40" Samsung f7500 LED. Was in the market for a 40 or 42" TV. Principle criteria was picture clarity. Other factors were the look and usability. I do not care about 3D or sound quality as long as it meets basic norms which is good enough for me. Had also assessed Sony 40W900 as well LG6910.

Was in the market reviewing plasma due to the well known facts around picture but backed out due to
(Primary Factor)
(1) extreme disinterest around Plasma from manufacturers and at dealership points; lack of sufficient choices and support.

(other Factors)
(2) power consumption - this is an important factor for me as we have a limited backup power supply and want all equipment to continue running without continuous tripping of circuit breaker.
(3) viewing in bright conditions - assessed that television viewing at my place would be in brightly lit situations (contrary to the best scenario for Plasma).
(4) appreciated the lightweight nature and thinness on current LED TVs.

Initial thoughts post purchase:
All good so far. Picture quality is great (I do not understand the blackness level or rendering of black as many websites measure). Model is extremely feature rich. Due to the fear factor around voltages and generators kicking in with fluctuations, run the equipment on an APC UPS. Some of the websites recommend much larger TV sizes but personally assessed that anything larger would not have been comfortable for my 8-10 feet viewing distance (personal choice).

Those keen on 3D, personally feel the non active polarized once on LG are better, simpler to use and maintain. Active glasses (used on Samsung) have a battery and hence maintainability increases. Also Polarized (non-active) are easier on the eye.

thanks.

Last edited by subbarp : 24th August 2013 at 23:20. Reason: More comments on 3D
Old 25th August 2013, 22:36   #6892
Senior - BHPian

Those who don't mind factory seconds can try this

http://www.greendust.com/tv-led-c-160_168.html

They claim warranty on the product as well.

Also share your experience for others, seeing the massive discounts and exchange offers, I am tempted to trade in my LG 47 inch LCD with a new LED 55 inch TV.

Here's another one - http://gobol.in/tv-video-and-audio.html

Last edited by tanwaramit : 25th August 2013 at 22:39.
Old 25th August 2013, 23:54   #6893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi kindly help me in understanding as to why my Pana TH-P42UT50D is not able to play mkv files? It runs for few seconds than it stops.

Any help will be appreciated!

Run MediaInfo (download that from the Internet) and find out more about the file that you are trying to play.

For example, MKV(AVC/Main@L5.0/ Header stripping/ AAC) will get stuck due to the higher bit rate which the decoder in the TV cannot cope up with.

You can get more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

The only solution is to get a player such as WD TV or use your powerful computer with a DLNA server such as Serviio and play via a wired LAN network.
Old 27th August 2013, 10:17   #6894
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had bought a 40" LED TV here in Malaysia about 8 months back. I am returning this Sunday back after more than a year outside India. Now, will my TV be still be taxed at 36 % (after the new import ban),or can it be treated as used goods. Also, how is the depreciation calculated on that.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 27th August 2013, 17:13   #6895
BHPian

Quote:
I have purchased a Sollatek SVS04 for my plasma. It shows low and high mains voltage via indicators. Every night after around 11 PM the voltage is higher than normal (I have not measured it though).
It also takes care of the spikes (I can hear some clicks at times).

Price is around Rs 3100. Note: This is for 4 Amperes of load - for your LED, 2 Ampere model is enough and cheaper as well.

Thanks for the advice, S_U_N. I went for a Vguard model (the one for LEDs upto 32") from Flipkart at the cost of 1600 INR. Reasons - looker sleeker and have 3 yrs warranty. Got delivered in 3 days time.

EDIT: Also, thanks to DelAlte and null for initial suggestions.

Last edited by mayukh : 27th August 2013 at 17:25. Reason: Not able to thank individual posts.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:36   #6896
BHPian

I have a basic LG 32inch 3D LED tv with just one USB and one HDMI port. This was bought primarily for my son to enjoy the 3D movie experience at home and it is worth 30k that I had paid during the Independence Day offer with a 15% cash back voucher as well.

Now, I'm thinking of buying a PS3 and also getting a Tata Sky HD add-on connection, here is where the issue arises - just one HDMI port and I will need to connect multiple devices.

I checked ebay and found a HDMI Splitter, have any of you tried this with your TV? Does it work?

Also if I connect a multi-port USB to the one USB slot, can I connect multiple devices at one go?

Request if any of you have tried and improvised such a setup to please help with details.

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
Old 27th August 2013, 19:32   #6897
BHPian

Is there anyone who is facing red dots at random places on screen - only while using DTH?

I initially thought there is some issue with my LG plasma screen but later found these red dots are only visible while watching TV on Airtel DTH. No issue were seen while watching from USB/DVD.

Another friend of mine using Samsung LCD also faces the same issue.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:52   #6898
Senior - BHPian

You could connect tv to the STB via the AV cable
OR
Connect the STB to the TV via the PS3 console.

A high quality signal splitter should workout. I use a signal splitter to divide the incoming DTH signal to feed two STBs and it is all good.

I do not think the USB splitter will work, 'cause I think the logic board in the tv panel may not support it unlike in a PC/Laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
I have a basic LG 32inch 3D LED tv with just one USB and one HDMI port. This was bought primarily for my son to enjoy the 3D movie experience at home and it is worth 30k that I had paid during the Independence Day offer with a 15% cash back voucher as well.

Now, I'm thinking of buying a PS3 and also getting a Tata Sky HD add-on connection, here is where the issue arises - just one HDMI port and I will need to connect multiple devices.

I checked ebay and found a HDMI Splitter, have any of you tried this with your TV? Does it work?

Also if I connect a multi-port USB to the one USB slot, can I connect multiple devices at one go?

Request if any of you have tried and improvised such a setup to please help with details.

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne

These red dots might be Airtel's version of micro sized Zozos

Jokes apart, seems to be signal noise or interference arising from the STB itself, bad grounding maybe. A call to 121 seems to be in order. Do update us as to the cause once identified and the solution thereof for mutual knowledge enrichment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Is there anyone who is facing red dots at random places on screen - only while using DTH?

I initially thought there is some issue with my LG plasma screen but later found these red dots are only visible while watching TV on Airtel DTH. No issue were seen while watching from USB/DVD.

Another friend of mine using Samsung LCD also faces the same issue.
Old 28th August 2013, 11:58   #6899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne

To be honest, for a 32" TV, it is pointless to upgrade to Tata Sky HD. You will not notice any difference. I suggest take that TV to you neighbour who has Tata Sky (or any other) HD service and try it out.

Secondly, the STB has component video output also available which you can use instead of HDMI out.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...icomponent.htm

In that case, your PS3 can use the sole HDMI port on the TV.

For connecting multiple USB devices, I believe you will have to still swap them and use one at a time, in any case.

If reaching out to the USB port on your TV's backside every time is a problem then an extension cable such as this one might help.

Last edited by S_U_N : 28th August 2013 at 12:00.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:57   #6900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You could connect tv to the STB via the AV cable
OR
Connect the STB to the TV via the PS3 console.

A high quality signal splitter should workout. I use a signal splitter to divide the incoming DTH signal to feed two STBs and it is all good.
Quote:
To be honest, for a 32" TV, it is pointless to upgrade to Tata Sky HD. You will not notice any difference.
Secondly, the STB has component video output also available which you can use instead of HDMI out.
In that case, your PS3 can use the sole HDMI port on the TV.

If reaching out to the USB port on your TV's backside every time is a problem then an extension cable such as one might help.
@Khoj, thanks for your suggestion about the high quality signal splitter and also the option of connecting the STB via the PS3 console, will explore this option.

@S_U_N, I already have a TataSky HD connection in my living room to my 55 inch Sony Bravia, I thought of taking the add-on connection as I had already got the wiring done while doing up the electricals in my house. Anyways now that you mentioned, let me check and see if it is indeed worth it! As for you suggestion to add a extension cable for the USB device, I've exactly done the same thing, so wanted to experiment multiple ports. Anyways I understood from Khoj that the logic board in the TV may not support this option.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,
Si1ver0ne

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks