Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 14:16   #6856
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Those looking for a big TV, I came across this post on another forum.
Chennai BHPians might be tempted to investigate further and perhaps strike a deal.
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner...ker-stand.html

Note: Please do your due diligence. I have no association with the seller or the products he/she is selling.
Old 13th August 2013, 17:21   #6857
BHPian

I recently bought a Sony Bravia 32" LED TV. I need to know whether is is required to purchase a Voltage Stabilizer for it. I live in housing society where the voltage from the mains is on the higher side. Normally, during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage. However, I have not seen any instances of recognizable voltage fluctuations.

Hence, my question to the experts: Do my LED TV require a voltage stabilizer?
Old 13th August 2013, 18:06   #6858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
... during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage. ...
How did you measure the voltage? Not unthinkable, but getting 270 or more normally is quite rare anywhere, even if the building distribution transformer is severely underloaded (very few flats occupied).

Check the manual of the TV - it will mention the AC voltage the power supply can take. Usually this is 180-270 for 230V AC lines. Unless there is a spike in the line (lightning strike; 'single phasing' with you on the wrong phase=400+volts!), the power supply may be able to take the higher voltage for some time. It may also have an automatic over-voltage cutoff, usually reversible.

If, to be very safe, you want to get a stabilizer, please physically check whether the stabilizer does what it is supposed to do. Usually takes just an auto-transformer / variac to test over-voltage bucking or cut out of the stabilizer. You will be surprised as to how many of them fail to do what they are meant to do.
Old 13th August 2013, 18:09   #6859
BHPian

Quote:
.. Normally, during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage....

270V is not healthy. You yourself know that it is >220 most of the time. So, it makes sense to put a constant voltage stabilizer to ensure that supply is at 220v.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:22   #6860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
270V is not healthy. You yourself know that it is >220 most of the time. So, it makes sense to put a constant voltage stabilizer to ensure that supply is at 220v.
This would serve you well: http://www.flipkart.com/sollatek-tvg...4-8ca7cbac0f66

It's a famous company with good credentials.
Old 13th August 2013, 21:28   #6861
BHPian

Bought a Samsung 64 inch plasma , 2013 flagship model under Samsungs current extended warranty scheme . Costed 1.84 with 15 month EMI scheme at 0% interest and 0% processing fee. Waiting for it to be delivered on Monday .
Old 13th August 2013, 22:46   #6862
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Vast majority of the tv are rated to handle 240v ,anything higher is not good.
While they can handle voltages exceeding 240v ,it will definitely take a toll on the power supply. So yes installing a stabilizer is must for most households in India.
Old 14th August 2013, 06:18   #6863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Vast majority of the tv are rated to handle 240v ,anything higher is not good.
While they can handle voltages exceeding 240v ,it will definitely take a toll on the power supply. So yes installing a stabilizer is must for most households in India.
I was having this issue of voltage shooting up to 290v. Was a problem with cabling on DB in the road. Lasted about two months till the EB fixed it but I bought a APC stabilizer for my led TV. Was very annoying as it would cutoff output whenever voltage exceed 250v. Just FYI. I don't use it anymore the stabilizer and it was a model specifically for TVs.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:38   #6864
BHPian

what I meant is a "Constant Voltage Transformer" (wrongly wrote it as stabilizer earlier). This will ensure that voltage is 220V irrespective of the input feed (within a broader range of course) without cutting off the power unlike some of the devices mentioned above.

Example: http://www.onlineupsindia.co.in/Cons...ormer-CVT.html (one of the first links from google).

This will ensure that a constant 220v/designated rated power output is available for your electronic devices. Another possible option is to look at an online UPS (which will be expensive).

BTW, I have an old 1KVA rated CVT for my PC (a P4 1.6GHz with a large CRT which is still in great working condition) which is used for playing some old PC games even now. It weighs like 10+ kgs and hums badly, but does a great job. It may be a good idea to put a 5KA (or the rated power in your house) CVT in your basement/common area so that entire house is protected. I am not sure of what is the extra impact on your EB bill though :P
Old 14th August 2013, 12:15   #6865
Senior - BHPian

CVT clips the sine wave once the core is saturated. The distorted voltage may play havoc with some equipment, but should be safe with switching power supplies.
Old 15th August 2013, 14:08   #6866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought a Sony Bravia 32" LED TV. I need to know whether is is required to purchase a Voltage Stabilizer for it. I live in housing society where the voltage from the mains is on the higher side. Normally, during the day, it remains in 230-250 range. During night time, it crosses 270 at times. Many a time, I have seen my induction cooker getting auto cut due to over voltage. However, I have not seen any instances of recognizable voltage fluctuations.

I have purchased a Sollatek SVS04 for my plasma. It shows low and high mains voltage via indicators. Every night after around 11 PM the voltage is higher than normal (I have not measured it though).
It also takes care of the spikes (I can hear some clicks at times).

Price is around Rs 3100. Note: This is for 4 Amperes of load - for your LED, 2 Ampere model is enough and cheaper as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Bought a Samsung 64 inch plasma , 2013 flagship model under Samsungs current extended warranty scheme . Costed 1.84 with 15 month EMI scheme at 0% interest and 0% processing fee. Waiting for it to be delivered on Monday .
This is the beauty of Samsung. They give you interest free loan. I took advantage of this when I had to purchase Note 10.1. They even gave a cashback of around 5000 during that period.
Other manufacturers should learn a thing or two from them.
Old 15th August 2013, 16:20   #6867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

This is the beauty of Samsung. They give you interest free loan. I took advantage of this when I had to purchase Note 10.1. They even gave a cashback of around 5000 during that period.
Other manufacturers should learn a thing or two from them.
0% Interest+0% Processing fee+ low downpayment is available on all other brands also. It is not specific to Samsung.

Infact, Beauty of other products is they have allowed the dealers negotiation on price to customers. Samsung and Sony have made a strict policy of no-negotiation 6 months back.

Adhishwar's contract has been cancelled by Sony because they reduced the price for customers.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:58   #6868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
0% Interest+0% Processing fee+ low downpayment is available on all other brands also. It is not specific to Samsung.
I can tell you Panasonic does not have any such offer.
Old 17th August 2013, 13:26   #6869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have purchased a Sollatek SVS04 for my plasma. It shows low and high mains voltage via indicators...
Sollatek TV guard & Fridge Guard are available on snapdeal at Rs 999 today. Using a coupon (USD962BA99) will reduce it by another Rs 250. Based on recommendation here, I have placed an order for a TV Guard now (for Rs 750). Since it is Snapdeal, I didn't want to pay upfront & take chances & hence placed a "Cash On delivery" order.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/soll...tector/1356201
Old 18th August 2013, 14:34   #6870
BHPian

How good is AOC LED Televisions, came across this model while surfing the web for a 3d LED TV. http://www.aocindia.com/product.php?...roduct_id=108# .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks